PDA

View Full Version : Why Cutting Calories Is One of the Worst Things You Can Do For Weight Loss

Trumpster
03-24-2021, 12:18 PM
https://www.wholelifechallenge.com/why-cutting-calories-is-one-of-the-worst-things-you-can-do-for-weight-loss/

Why Cutting Calories Is So Bad

"Continued dieting based on calorie cutting causes your metabolic rate to slow down. The metabolic rate is the rate at which your body burns calories for energy. When you are in a prolonged state of calorie- restriction, instead of using up your fuel for all your bodily functions, your body stores incoming calories since it thinks it is starving and wants to save every last calorie for survival."

Mister D
03-24-2021, 12:25 PM
Trumpster versus the laws of thermodynamics lol

Severely restricting your calories is a bad idea. No one is arguing your average person should do that. Strawman retired. A modest deficit of 200-300 is perfectly fine and sustainable.

Again, you will not lose weight unless you consume less energy than you expend.

Peter1469
03-24-2021, 12:56 PM
It isn't easy to get into a starvation mode.

You need to know your basal metabolic rate, your total daily expenditure, and this will tell you how many calories you burn a day. If you want to loose weight eat 10-20% less. (Some do more, I wouldn't). If you want to gain muscle eat 10-20% more but also increase protein to maximize exercise gains.

There are online calculators for this. Harris / Benedict (https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/bmr-harris-benedict-equation)is supposed to be the better one.

carolina73
03-24-2021, 01:07 PM
How long would it take a 300 lb person to loose 100 pounds without changing his eating habits. Just exercise.What exercise are you proposing and for how long?

I think you will find calorie cutting will help that guy much faster. Exercise is more for health benefits than cutting weight.

Peter1469
03-24-2021, 01:11 PM
How long would it take a 300 lb person to loose 100 pounds without changing his eating habits. Just exercise.What exercise are you proposing and for how long?

I think you will find calorie cutting will help that guy much faster. Exercise is more for health benefits than cutting weight.
IMO losing weight is 70% nutrition (I don't like the word diet), and 30% activity. A 300 pound person who only exercised would see a weight increase as he grew muscle. If he didn't get into a calorie deficit he won't lose weight.

Peter1469
03-24-2021, 01:13 PM
I also see the article is focused not on the normal person, but someone who has already screwed up their metabolism. They have to fix that in the process.

That was a big problem with the show Biggest Loser.

Hoosier8
03-24-2021, 01:23 PM
Max weight loss without a doctors supervision is 2lbs a week. For me that’s cutting about 1000 calories a day. Best way to lose weight. Some people eat their whole daily calorie limit (to stay the same weight) in one meal.

RMNIXON
03-24-2021, 01:43 PM
A steady Diet and exercise regularly is the best weight loss formula. An increase in fiber is also a healthy way to lose weight. Crash Diets (starvation) are not at all healthy and these people often return to bad habits on the rebound.

Mister D
03-24-2021, 01:48 PM
A steady Diet and exercise regularly is the best weight loss formula. An increase in fiber is also a healthy way to lose weight. Crash Diets (starvation) are not at all healthy and these people often return to bad habits on the rebound.
I would only consider crash diets for very specific fitness (and temporary) goals.

Mister D
03-24-2021, 01:49 PM
IMO losing weight is 70% nutrition (I don't like the word diet), and 30% activity. A 300 pound person who only exercised would see a weight increase as he grew muscle. If he didn't get into a calorie deficit he won't lose weight.
Agreed. As they say, you can't outrun a bad diet.

Abby08
03-24-2021, 02:47 PM
High protein, low carb, no refined sugar, no processed foods.......easier said than done but, that's how I mostly eat.......plus walking on the treadmill.

Daily Bread
03-24-2021, 02:55 PM
Cup of coffee for breakfast ,go to work , get pissed off at your ignorant Democrat employees , have a martini for lunch , fire a ignorant Democrat employee and when you get home for dinner eat Italian for carbs , glass of wine or a PBR , a little sex to relax �� than do it all over again the next day . This has kept me at 180 since HS and I feel great . My Dr calls me Mr amazing

Mister D
03-24-2021, 02:56 PM
High protein, low carb, no refined sugar, no processed foods.......easier said than done but, that's how I mostly eat.......plus walking on the treadmill.
On running days, I eat a lot of carbs. I had 2 bowls of Kashi cereal and a can of chickpeas already today.

Trumpster
03-25-2021, 09:07 AM

Sounds sensible. I will assume the steady diet is a healthy diet. An increase in fiber? Yes, from natural, healthy, whole foods.

Peter1469
03-25-2021, 09:11 AM
Max weight loss without a doctors supervision is 2lbs a week. For me that’s cutting about 1000 calories a day. Best way to lose weight. Some people eat their whole daily calorie limit (to stay the same weight) in one meal.
I can't do that. I prefer 5 smaller meals during the day. While ideally counting calories.

FindersKeepers
03-25-2021, 09:12 AM
On running days, I eat a lot of carbs. I had 2 bowls of Kashi cereal and a can of chickpeas already today.

Yes, carbs are good before cardio. Chickpeas and I don't get along. I like hummus, but the taste and feel of those hard little peas in my mouth is yukky. If I'm making hummus, I'll save the chickpea water and whip it -- like whipping cream. Add a little stevia and a dash of almond extract and yum!

Peter1469
03-25-2021, 09:15 AM
Avoiding the sugar is a big one.

If you need something else to cut to lose weight skip the milk and cheese products. Those calories add up.

Mister D
03-25-2021, 09:32 AM
Avoiding the sugar is a big one.

If you need something else to cut to lose weight skip the milk and cheese products. Those calories add up.
I'd rarely meet my protein goals without non-fat and low fat dairy.

Mister D
03-25-2021, 09:34 AM
Yes, carbs are good before cardio. Chickpeas and I don't get along. I like hummus, but the taste and feel of those hard little peas in my mouth is yukky. If I'm making hummus, I'll save the chickpea water and whip it -- like whipping cream. Add a little stevia and a dash of almond extract and yum!
I've always enjoyed them. I've often eaten them right out of the can but I'll use the dry ones in soup. They're great fried too whether whole or pureed. What do they call that? Falafel or something?

Trumpster
03-25-2021, 09:55 AM
I also see the article is focused not on the normal person, but someone who has already screwed up their metabolism.

The way she worded it, kind of made it confusing, in my opinion. The way I understood it, she's sounded like she was against trying to burn off more than you eat. That was in the very beginning of her article. But then she continued by saying, "This idea may work for someone who has NOT spent years yo-yo dieting (destroyed their metabolism in the process) ......"

So, I guess that means burning off more than you eat works for people who have not destroyed their metabolism. Yo-yo dieting could mean anything - up 10 lb down 10 lb or up 100 lb. down 100 lb.

Then in the same paragraph she says, "But that likely doesn't describe most of you." "Most of you....aren't morbidly obese."

In the next paragraph she continues by talking about women who are trying "to shed those stubborn ten to twenty pounds." So it seems the article pertains to trying to help those women who would be so called "normal".

So, I think you got it wrong, but I don't blame you because I had to spend a lot of time figuring out what she really meant. :-)

Trumpster
03-25-2021, 10:21 AM
I think there's a contradiction in the last paragraph of her article:

In bold print it says, "The Conclusion on Cutting Calories: Eat Lots...of the Right Stuff.

"Cutting calories is not the right answer to long term weight loss." Then she goes on to recommend whole unprocessed foods.

For most people, eating whole, unprocessed foods means they will be consuming less calories.

If it wasn't for the contradiction, the plan to eat whole unprocessed foods is a good plan.

Mister D
03-25-2021, 10:32 AM
Cutting calories is one of two answers for weight loss. You will have to either cut calories or move more. You must be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.