PDA

View Full Version : Unrest Explodes in China

Conley
12-14-2011, 09:30 AM
BEIJING — A long-running dispute between farmers and local officials in southern China exploded into open rebellion this week after villagers chased away government leaders, set up roadblocks and began arming themselves with homemade weapons, residents said.​

The conflict in Wukan, a coastal settlement near the country’s booming industrial heartland in Guangdong Province, escalated on Monday after residents learned that one of the representatives they had selected to negotiate with the local Communist Party had died in police custody. The authorities say a heart attack killed the 42-year-old man, but relatives say his body bore signs of torture.

Spasms of social unrest in China have become increasingly common, a reflection of the widening income gap and deepening unhappiness with official corruption and an unresponsive justice system.

But the clashes in Wukan, which first erupted in September, appear to be unusual for their longevity — and for the brazenness of the participants.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/15/world/asia/chinese-village-locked-in-rebellion-against-authorities.html?hp

These are some brave souls...hope they don't end up like their leader.

MMC
12-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Yeah.....China will more than likely put a stop to this. They also seem to have a handle on cutting out all social networking. Which means these people got to do it all by word of mouth and runners. I don't think China will be joining in on the Arab Spring or the American Autumn.

Conley
12-14-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm not sure that China has had a revolt like this on her hands any time recently...if so it didn't make it into the press.

Mister D
12-14-2011, 12:29 PM
This kind of unrest is a lot more common than the Chinese government would have you believe. They try their best to create media blackouts which is often easy to do in rurual areas I suppose. Like I and other said earlier, China has quite a few obstacles in her future.

MMC
12-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Wasnt this the area that was hit by the Typhoon too? Which would also have made things worse.