PDA

View Full Version : China Says it Will Hit U.S. Auto Imorts with Duties.....

MMC
12-14-2011, 10:42 PM
BEIJING/WASHINGTON - (Reuters) - China will impose punitive duties of up to 22 percent on large cars and SUVs exported from the United States, China's Commerce Ministry said on Wednesday, the latest in a series of trade disputes between the world's two largest economies.

The new duties take aim at vehicle exports valued near $4 billion and come at an awkward time for U.S.-China relations, with China's currency and trade policies becoming a focus of criticism for U.S. presidential candidates.
Chinese officials said the U.S.-built SUVs and luxury sedans were being dumped on the Chinese market and causing "substantial damage to China's domestic industry." Vehicle exports to China had already been subject to a 25 percent tariff and the new tariff will be in addition to that duty.

The decision by Beijing to impose the additional levy comes after China lost a two-year fight over tire exports to the United States in September.

The new duties on American-made large cars and SUVs range from a 2 percent levy on BMW models to 15 percent for Chrysler and almost 22 percent for GM. Ford Motor Co does not export U.S.-built vehicles to China.

China's Trade Minister Chen Deming said China expects trade disputes to increase next year because of economic weakness in the United States and Europe.....snip~

So much for Free trade.....time to drop duties on everything China sends out. Including All that less than a Dollar Shit. Anything they want from us. Including Food! They Pay 3 times more than anybody else. But I am guessing Obama will have the Chinese President over for another party and dinner.....huh? Kudos to Ford.....for saying Fuck the Chinese!

Conley
12-16-2011, 02:20 PM
Do major Chinese automakers even exist? If so I doubt they export much.

Mister D
12-16-2011, 04:29 PM
I just looked it up. China has the largest automobile industry in the world but all kinds of copyright.

They have a automaker called Great Wall Motor. :laugh:

Copying claims controversySome of Chinese cars makers have been accused of copying designs of other companies.[15] (http://thepoliticalforums.com/#cite_note-Many-14) This judgement can seem to be harsh, as it is clear that the Russian car industry had been founded on the same principle; the Mosckvich was produced from tooling taken from German Opel factories in 1945, the later 408 was a scaled down Ford Zephyr and the Gaz Chaika was copied from Packard. The Russians acknowledged this in that there was no point in repeating the development process that had already gone on in the rest of the world.

Snip

The Wall Street Journal (http://thepoliticalforums.com/wiki/Wall_Street_Journal) reported that the government of China will be forcing foreign carmakers to disclose their electric vehicle (http://thepoliticalforums.com/wiki/Electric_vehicle) technology secrets before the vehicles are allowed to be sold in China. The current Chinese automotive policy states that a foreign carmaker must form a joint-venture with a Chinese carmaker if the former plans to sell its electric vehicles there, with the latter holding 51% stakes while the former is only allowed to hold 49% stakes.
Due to the threat by the Chinese government, Toyota (http://thepoliticalforums.com/wiki/Toyota) postponed the launch of the current-generation Prius (http://thepoliticalforums.com/wiki/Toyota_Prius) until they have been confirmed about the plan.[33] (http://thepoliticalforums.com/#cite_note-32)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automobile_industry_in_China

Conley
12-16-2011, 04:48 PM
Oh those wacky Chinese...and they want 51% of the electric car market. I don't think we're going to see a Prius in China for a while.

Thanks for the research. Wild stuff.

Mister D
12-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Edit: copyright issues.

wingrider
12-17-2011, 10:10 AM
so all we have to do is put a import fee on oll goods from china. you can watch the prices at wallmart go through the roof..

Conley
12-17-2011, 10:16 AM
I try to never buy Chinese stuff but it is difficult these days.

Mister D
12-17-2011, 10:20 AM
That would finish Walmart.

Conley
12-17-2011, 10:25 AM
But it could help out American businesses, right?

Mister D
12-17-2011, 10:29 AM
But it could help out American businesses, right?

I was just saying that as a matter of fact. Clearly, China is not playing fair and something needs to be done.

Conley
12-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Agreed, but I know we're never going back to a manufacturing economy. Those jobs are long gone.

Mister D
12-17-2011, 12:11 PM
Agreed, but I know we're never going back to a manufacturing economy. Those jobs are long gone.

That might be a good thing. I'm not sure. On the other hand, anything could happen.

Mister D
12-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Plus, wages are rising in China which means the pool of cheap labor is drying up. That's yet another issue China faces.

Conley
12-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Plus, wages are rising in China which means the pool of cheap labor is drying up. That's yet another issue China faces.

Yep, that seems inevitable. Once that cheap labor is gone, who knows where China will be. They face a multitude of challenges on every front.

Mister D
12-17-2011, 12:25 PM
Yep, that seems inevitable. Once that cheap labor is gone, who knows where China will be. They face a multitude of challenges on every front.

My guess is that people may start looking to build plants in Africa but Africa still isn't a stable enough place to operate a business on a large scale.

Conley
12-17-2011, 12:27 PM
My guess is that people may start looking to build plants in Africa but Africa still isn't a stable enough place to operate a business on a large scale.

That makes perfect sense. I bet there will be a renewed focus by foreign powers on keeping the peace in certain areas there.

Mister D
12-17-2011, 12:30 PM
That makes perfect sense. I bet there will be a renewed focus by foreign powers on keeping the peace in certain areas there.

Not sure how that is going to go over though. It will look a lot like colonialism.

jgreer
12-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Doesn't matter it will be the Megacorps that do it and they have national government in their pocket. Just like how the oil companies used the US Army to get oil in Iraq only they will probably use the un for this

Mister D
12-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Doesn't matter it will be the Megacorps that do it and they have national government in their pocket. Just like how the oil companies used the US Army to get oil in Iraq only they will probably use the un for this

Nonsense.

jgreer
12-17-2011, 01:03 PM
how?

Mister D
12-17-2011, 01:05 PM
how?

You made the claim. You prove it. No, linking to an opinion piece won't do. Real evidence. Thanks.

Conley
12-17-2011, 01:20 PM
That reminds me, IBB has been MIA for a while. I wonder if he was arrested.

Mister D
12-17-2011, 01:39 PM
That reminds me, IBB has been MIA for a while. I wonder if he was arrested.

I hope he wasn't upset because his dire warnings didn't receive enough attention. Sticking around and discussing might have helped that.

Elibe
12-17-2011, 04:02 PM
that guy didn't seem interested in discussion he just spammed his blog

made libs look bad really

Mister D
12-17-2011, 04:18 PM
Not sure what his politics were. Yeah, I think he responded to a comment a total of one time.

wingrider
12-17-2011, 08:17 PM
I was just saying that as a matter of fact. Clearly, China is not playing fair and something needs to be done.

a tarriff or an import fee on all products mad and or shipped by the chinses would be just the ticket.. you eant to see how fast they backpeddle when 70 percent of thier sales are in jeopardy? that would do it.. this is one of the things I like about trump.. he would nail the lid down on em/

Mister D
12-17-2011, 08:19 PM
a tarriff or an import fee on all products mad and or shipped by the chinses would be just the ticket.. you eant to see how fast they backpeddle when 70 percent of thier sales are in jeopardy? that would do it.. this is one of the things I like about trump.. he would nail the lid down on em/

China doesn't hold all the cards that's for sure.

wingrider
12-17-2011, 08:31 PM
The United states needs to start playing hardball with some of thses countries.. I say hit em right where theylive .. in the bottom line.. instead of waging military action against our supposed enemies we need to deal with them economically.. we do have the # one Currency in the entire world.. we don't need bombs ,, just a checkbook.