PDA

View Full Version : Lethal sounds in the ocean

Chloe
06-23-2013, 08:56 PM
What do you think about the man-made sounds that go on in the oceans and impact wildlife? Primarily military and resource exploration. So like for example when the navy does sonar testing in the ocean but because of that can then seriously hurt or even kill animals like whales.

I've read up on this stuff before but I was curious what your opinions on it may be too. I personally think the way that the military tests in the oceans is pretty bad and dangerous to wildlife. I know people say that it's necessary but I don't really see how it is, especially the sonar testing.

Here are some quick links about it:

NRDC: Lethal Sounds (http://www.nrdc.org/wildlife/marine/sonar.asp)

Save Whales from Deadly Sonar | Save BioGems (http://www.savebiogems.org/save-whales-from-sonar/?__utma=1.1838360211.1372038233.1372038233.1372038 233.1&__utmb=1.3.9.1372038236299&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1372038233.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(orga nic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=natural resources defense council&__utmv=-&__utmk=75423634#facts)

Agravan
06-23-2013, 10:47 PM
What do you think about the man-made sounds that go on in the oceans and impact wildlife? Primarily military and resource exploration. So like for example when the navy does sonar testing in the ocean but because of that can then seriously hurt or even kill animals like whales.

I've read up on this stuff before but I was curious what your opinions on it may be too. I personally think the way that the military tests in the oceans is pretty bad and dangerous to wildlife. I know people say that it's necessary but I don't really see how it is, especially the sonar testing.

Here are some quick links about it:

NRDC: Lethal Sounds (http://www.nrdc.org/wildlife/marine/sonar.asp)

Save Whales from Deadly Sonar | Save BioGems (http://www.savebiogems.org/save-whales-from-sonar/?__utma=1.1838360211.1372038233.1372038233.1372038 233.1&__utmb=1.3.9.1372038236299&__utmc=1&__utmx=-&__utmz=1.1372038233.1.1.utmcsr=google|utmccn=(orga nic)|utmcmd=organic|utmctr=natural resources defense council&__utmv=-&__utmk=75423634#facts)

Because you would rather defend the animals than protect your fellow citizens.

oceanloverOH
06-23-2013, 11:05 PM
I had to laugh about "Lethal sounds in the ocean"....I do actually have some *quite* lethal sounds....at least hubby says they're killers :roflmao:

Seriously, this is a very good point. I can understand the necessity of the scientific and military sonar testing that is done....but would seem that the test groups could at least be required to use areas of our oceans less populated by marine animals for their testing (at least stay the heck away from the known feeding and mating grounds!) At present, I don't think any test group takes this into consideration.

IMPress Polly
06-24-2013, 05:59 AM
Agravan wrote:

You know, I'm pretty sure that when you some 1,000 military bases set up all around the world and foreign policies entitled things like Plan for the New American Century, that your military is there primarily for offensive, not defensive, purposes.

zelmo1234
06-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Shhhhhh! be quiet! You will kill the fish, then birds? ect!

It is funny however that most of the people that are sooooooo! concerned for the treatment and live or wildlife?

Don't care about the birds that the windmill farms kill and the many animals that the namjufacturing, disposal, and even the use of the Solar farms kill?

Not to mention that they can't stand the thought ofdrilling for oil in Anwar and the pipelines that that would require? and yet the heating of the pipelines has created winter habitat for th animals and allowed them to thrive!

I think it is BS and part of pushing a political agenda!

oceanloverOH
06-24-2013, 07:58 AM
You know, I'm pretty sure that when you some 1,000 military bases set up all around the world and foreign policies entitled things like Plan for the New American Century, that your military is there primarily for offensive, not defensive, purposes.

I disagree, Polly. Most military bases (in Europe, Korea, Japan, etc.) were established during conflict, for both offensive and defensive purposes. Those that remain in these areas at present are serving primarly a peacekeeping role, because of the perceived needed defense and the possibilities of future conflict from the country where the base is located (i.e. Korea) or a neighboring enemy. Many, many military bases have closed down once their mission was complete.

Agravan
06-24-2013, 09:18 AM
Your point??

Micketto
06-24-2013, 10:57 AM
Very interesting, and sad.

I never realized sonar was so powerful. 300 miles away, still at 140 decibels ?!
Maybe I missed it, but, what is the death toll due to this I wonder ?

I was reading about the death toll of wind farms before... pretty crazy.

Wind turbines, are responsible for killing nearly a half million birds every year. Many of them eagles.
And with the energy demands, that the current government is putting on the energy companies makes us turn toward more and more wind farms.... this number is only going to grow.
A lot.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/wind-farms-under-fire-for-bird-kills/2011/08/25/gIQAP0bVlJ_story.html

Peter1469
06-24-2013, 02:59 PM
I disagree, Polly. Most military bases (in Europe, Korea, Japan, etc.) were established during conflict, for both offensive and defensive purposes. Those that remain in these areas at present are serving primarly a peacekeeping role, because of the perceived needed defense and the possibilities of future conflict from the country where the base is located (i.e. Korea) or a neighboring enemy. Many, many military bases have closed down once their mission was complete.

Many of these nations that host US bases want us there so they can spend less on defense.

oceanloverOH
06-24-2013, 04:04 PM
Many of these nations that host US bases want us there so they can spend less on defense.

That's a good point too, Peter. Not to mention the $$$$$ being pumped into their economy by our military.

Chloe
06-24-2013, 09:09 PM

I'd rather defend the defenseless over some military toys and unnecessary tests.

Agravan
06-24-2013, 09:39 PM
I'd rather defend the defenseless over some military toys and unnecessary tests.

Unnecessary until the time comes that we need them. Then the same libs that whine about military testing will whine that the military is not prepared to defend them. By the way, those "toys" are what give you the freedom to complain about our military.

GrassrootsConservative
06-25-2013, 02:23 PM

The best defense is a good offense. You'll learn your lesson eventually.

GrassrootsConservative
06-25-2013, 02:26 PM

I never realized sonar was so powerful. 300 miles away, still at 140 decibels ?!

Wind turbines, are responsible for killing nearly a half million birds every year. Many of them eagles.
And with the energy demands, that the current government is putting on the energy companies makes us turn toward more and more wind farms.... this number is only going to grow.
A lot.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/wind-farms-under-fire-for-bird-kills/2011/08/25/gIQAP0bVlJ_story.html

Obama calls that "progress," Micketto.

Moving forward, right?

nic34
06-25-2013, 02:41 PM

A lot.

That's about to change:
http://cleantechnica.com/2012/09/04/bird-safe-wind-turbines-may-soon-take-flight/#FCVHkdZLu7xxMcBs.99

To help address the bird issue completely, Jerry Lynch, the president of Sigma Design, is working towards testing, improving, and manufacturing Raymond Green’s patented wind turbine, which is designed with the specific intent to be safe for avian creatures.

BTW....

Wind turbine bird deaths are actually rare compared to window-caused ones.

nic34
06-25-2013, 02:44 PM
More here:

http://inhabitat.com/tag/bird-safe-wind-turbine/

zelmo1234
06-25-2013, 06:24 PM
And Wind still cost more than fossil fuels!