PDA

View Full Version : Vittles...

Captain Obvious
06-24-2013, 08:33 PM
So we're spending an extended camping trip down here in wild and wonderful WV (Ohio actually, on the other side of the river) and I get this bright idea. We've been building a lot of campfires and I've seen these tripods where you can cook over them, so I get one and since I don't have my iron cast dutch oven with me, I jerry-rig a grill grate to it and decide to cook some stuff.

Since I wasn't sure if and how it would work, I pick up some chicken thighs since they're a quarter a pound, curry them up and add some red peppers and mushrooms. My wife doesn't like bone-in chicken but my feelings are that bone in chicken like legs and thighs that have dark meat and fat are ideal for grilling. She changed her mind after eating it, it was pretty damn good.

Yeah, that's a truck wheel it's cooking over.

Next up - BBQ chicken legs, then red beans and rice once I get that dutch oven. Wings aren't too far down the pike also.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/983573_141762072689655_423006270_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1044089_141762209356308_1352091448_n.jpg

Captain Obvious
06-24-2013, 08:36 PM
I've since re-fixed those chains, moved them out to the corners and clamped S-hooks down so they don't move around and the grill surface is a little more stable and easier to deal with.

Mister D
06-24-2013, 08:36 PM
Are grilled wings good?

oceanloverOH
06-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Yankee ingenuity, CO. Looks fantastic!

GrassrootsConservative
06-24-2013, 08:37 PM
I need to stop looking at pictures of food when I have the munchies.

Looks good though dude, especially those peppers.

Captain Obvious
06-24-2013, 08:41 PM
Are grilled wings good?

I make them on the charcoal BBQ at home, they're fantastic. I actually use two grills on wings - the charcoal kettle grill to burn them up a bit then transfer them over to the gas grill to cook. Sounds odd, but they turn out fantastic that way.

Mister D
06-24-2013, 08:42 PM
I make them on the charcoal BBQ at home, they're fantastic. I actually use two grills on wings - the charcoal kettle grill to burn them up a bit then transfer them over to the gas grill to cook. Sounds odd, but they turn out fantastic that way.

This guy...:grin:

I like a dry wing. Crispy skin.

Captain Obvious
06-24-2013, 08:46 PM
Right - crispy skin, no other way to have them.

Trick is to get that skin crisped up, then cook them a bit. Charcoal does the crisp job if it's good and hot. The gas grill is mostly to make sure they're done on the inside. When that skin starts throwing off fat, those charcoals ignite and they're hard to manage sometimes, which is why I do the dual-grill thing with wings.

oceanloverOH
06-24-2013, 08:49 PM
I need to stop looking at pictures of food when I have the munchies.

Looks good though dude, especially those peppers.

I was actually eyeing those big mushroom caps.....yumyum! Ever do any thick buttered zucchini planks on the grill, Cap? Food orgasm.

Captain Obvious
06-24-2013, 08:54 PM
I have zucchini in the fridge, that might be next. And onions.

What we've been grilling a lot of recently, and it sounds odd but it's fantastic is asparagus. Oh man, is that stuff good - with just a little salt and pepper. It softens up like you wouldn't believe on the grill - doesn't get crunchy or crispy, browns well also. I want to try brussel sprouts next, haven't done that yet.

oceanloverOH
06-24-2013, 08:59 PM
I haven't yet met a veg that didn't benefit from grilling (though I never tried brussels sprouts). I love to grill veggie kebabs with cherry tomatoes, bell pepper chunks, pineapple chunks, onions, and mushroom caps. Carrot planks (sliced lengthwise) are excellent on the grill too, brushed with just a tiny bit of melted butter and brown sugar......I can NOT be hungry, I just had dinner!

Mister D
06-24-2013, 09:03 PM
Right - crispy skin, no other way to have them.

Trick is to get that skin crisped up, then cook them a bit. Charcoal does the crisp job if it's good and hot. The gas grill is mostly to make sure they're done on the inside. When that skin starts throwing off fat, those charcoals ignite and they're hard to manage sometimes, which is why I do the dual-grill thing with wings.

I started this whole humane thing so I haven't had wings since. I am not getting a deep fryer because they are dirty and they smell. I want my wings though...

Captain Obvious
06-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Pineapple - never considered that. I do the pineapple slices on ham thing and they're great when burned up a bit. I'm going to have to try grilling some of them.

We've been eating trail mix a lot, they have these huge plastic containers of them at Walmart. The dried pineapple is pretty good stuff. Not that I'd grill it, but regular pineapple might grill well with just a bit of salt or something. Soy sauce maybe.

Captain Obvious
06-24-2013, 09:06 PM
I started this whole humane thing so I haven't had wings since. I am not getting a deep fryer because they are dirty and they smell. I want my wings though...

Yeah, I tried deep frying wings. What a fucking mess, and what do you do with all that oil? I have a turkey frier and while fried turkey is pretty good, you get like 10 gallons of once-used oil that you can't do anything with. I dumped it over the hill one time and my wife told me the next morning there were 3 or 4 raccoons out there rolling around in it.

Then I tried baking wings on grates, sticky mess. Pan frying, meh... Grilling is the best alternative by far.

Peter1469
06-24-2013, 09:10 PM
I heated up some wild zucchini on the engine of an M1 Abrams. Put some MRE cheese on it. Yummy after 2 weeks in the sticks.

Mister D
06-24-2013, 09:17 PM
Yeah, I tried deep frying wings. What a fucking mess, and what do you do with all that oil? I have a turkey frier and while fried turkey is pretty good, you get like 10 gallons of once-used oil that you can't do anything with. I dumped it over the hill one time and my wife told me the next morning there were 3 or 4 raccoons out there rolling around in it.

Then I tried baking wings on grates, sticky mess. Pan frying, meh... Grilling is the best alternative by far.

It does seem like the easiest method. I'll have to try it out. I'm so used to deep fried wings though.

Captain Obvious
06-24-2013, 09:20 PM
We (I) found a new wing joint down here in east kabumscrew. A "club", and it's basically only a club so they can get around laws allowing patrons to smoke at the bar, they didn't ask us shit when we went in there. It's a little seedy but there were people with their kids in there.

Anyway, we're going there again on Wednesday. Wing night, we were there the Wednesday before last. Get this - I had 2 guinness stouts in bottles, wife had two bottles of sam adams. We (including the kid) all ate our fill of wings. Total tab? Twenty fucking bucks, are you kidding me? Wings were pretty good also, fried and crispy the way bar wings should be.

Dayum...

Peter1469
06-24-2013, 09:24 PM
My favorite wings are roasted, not fried.

Sytha
06-24-2013, 09:25 PM
So we're spending an extended camping trip down here in wild and wonderful WV (Ohio actually, on the other side of the river) and I get this bright idea. We've been building a lot of campfires and I've seen these tripods where you can cook over them, so I get one and since I don't have my iron cast dutch oven with me, I jerry-rig a grill grate to it and decide to cook some stuff.

Since I wasn't sure if and how it would work, I pick up some chicken thighs since they're a quarter a pound, curry them up and add some red peppers and mushrooms. My wife doesn't like bone-in chicken but my feelings are that bone in chicken like legs and thighs that have dark meat and fat are ideal for grilling. She changed her mind after eating it, it was pretty damn good.

Yeah, that's a truck wheel it's cooking over.

Next up - BBQ chicken legs, then red beans and rice once I get that dutch oven. Wings aren't too far down the pike also.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/983573_141762072689655_423006270_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1044089_141762209356308_1352091448_n.jpg

very cool!

Frogger
06-24-2013, 09:54 PM
CO, If you want to try something different, cut an orange in half and scoop out the fruit. Then. break an egg into the half orange skin and place it at the edge of the coals. The egg cooks and gets a nice flavor from the orange peel. Another thing you might want to try is stick bread. Mix up some Bisquick and roll it into a snake shape. Wrap it around a stick and bake it over the fire. Since the dough is rather thin it bakes quickly.

Peter1469
06-24-2013, 09:59 PM
CO, If you want to try something different, cut an orange in half and scoop out the fruit. Then. break an egg into the half orange skin and place it at the edge of the coals. The egg cooks and gets a nice flavor from the orange peel. Another thing you might want to try is stick bread. Mix up some Bisquick and roll it into a snake shape. Wrap it around a stick and bake it over the fire. Since the dough is rather thin it bakes quickly.

I will try the egg thing. That sounds really good.