PDA

View Full Version : Putin Claims He Will Accept Lawful Protests

Conley
12-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Russia election: Putin accepts 'lawful' protests

In a televised live chat, he proposed installing web cameras at polling stations to prevent fraud at the March presidential poll where he is standing.

But he insisted the parliamentary results were valid and was scathing about some protesters.

Opposition supporters appeared unmoved by Mr Putin's comments.

Mr Putin also strongly attacked US foreign policy, and sought to dismiss warnings of his own downfall after more than a decade dominating Russian politics.

After serving two terms as president from 2000 to 2008, Mr Putin was obliged under the Russian constitution to step aside after his second term but is now entitled to stand again.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16194084

His proposed solution is web cams! I kid you not...somehow I don't think that's going to cut it.

MMC
12-15-2011, 10:40 AM
:laugh: Go figure.....Ex KGB and he still thinks of Security Cameras and ways to spy on people. :laugh:

Mister D
12-15-2011, 12:40 PM
But he insisted the parliamentary results were valid and was scathing about some protesters.

But didn't theopposition do most of the cheating?

Conley
12-15-2011, 01:28 PM
But didn't theopposition do most of the cheating?

No, it was United Russia (Putin's party) that is accused of the cheating. Even with the cheating they barely held on to the majority and suffered big losses.

Conley
12-15-2011, 01:29 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/77/United_Russia_Logos.svg/340px-United_Russia_Logos.svg.png

Mister D
12-15-2011, 01:30 PM
No, it was United Russia (Putin's party) that is accused of the cheating. Even with the cheating they barely held on to the majority and suffered big losses.

That's weird. I remember it being the other way around for some reason. Oh well. Yeah, that looks bad then but representative government isn't exactly the most likely outcome of this, IMO.

Conley
12-15-2011, 01:35 PM
Remember when Putin made the big show of stepping down after two terms (as required by law)? I'm not sure who he thinks he is fooling with all this...he has stepped up the anti-US rhetoric again lately too. Countries should give US foreign aid, we're such a convenient scapegoat for so many of them.

Mister D
12-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Remember when Putin made the big show of stepping down after two terms (as required by law)? I'm not sure who he thinks he is fooling with all this...he has stepped up the anti-US rhetoric again lately too. Countries should give US foreign aid, we're such a convenient scapegoat for so many of them.

That's definitely a tried and true method of distracting people.