PDA

View Full Version : NTSB Recommends Full ban on Cell Phones/Mobile Devices for Driving....

MMC
12-15-2011, 11:47 PM
A federal safety board called Tuesday for a nationwide ban on the use of cell phones and text messaging devices while driving.

Tuesday's recommendation, if adopted by states, would outlaw non-emergency phone calls and texting by operators of every vehicle on the road.....snip~

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-12-13/us/us_ntsb-cell-phone-ban_1_smart-phones-texting-pickup-truck-driver?_s=PM:US

Good idea or not? To much Big/Fed Govt? Citing Distractions and safety. Using the rationale that Security should be the way to go.

cindy
12-16-2011, 11:06 AM
I think it's good. It's not big government, it's just being safe. They say talking on the phone makes you as bad a driver as if you had been drinking so I agree with it.

MMC
12-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Morning Cindy.....do you think that should also include hands free devices? Do you think the states will really adopt this ban? Truckers have CB's Radio's. Cabbies, Police, and Firefiighters all the same. Can't exclude them.

cindy
12-16-2011, 11:19 AM
Good morning MCC :)

So many questions! Yes I think it should be for all phones even speakerphones. CB radio is different and the people you mentioned have a lot more experience plus they are not on them all the time. Also I would never take it away from police or fire. They need them to do their job.

Conley
12-16-2011, 11:49 AM
What do you think MMC? I'm against hand held, not sure how I feel about hands free.

MMC
12-16-2011, 12:34 PM
I would be against hands free. Some cars have that ability. But I would note the NTSB also doesnt want people to eat when in the car. They talk about distractions and have even brought banning radios and stereos. Now to me that is telling people that they need to intervene due to them thinking for others. This would include Navigational devices as well. But do we really need Big Government telling us and deciding for us? I think the states should go with the texting but that they should decide. Not the Fed!

Moreover if they use the arguement that only professionals should be allowed to do so. Then there are many who could be classified as such as thats what they do and would be considered more of a professional than either a cop or a firefighter. As they are on the road more and in more severe conditions.

Seems to me on another front that the Fed wants to limit that social networking.....huh?