PDA

View Full Version : The Fourth Turning

FindersKeepers
05-29-2021, 03:25 PM
This book was given to me by my brother over a year ago and it's been sitting in my library until a couple of days ago when I halfheartedly leafed through it and then became interested enough to start it.

The Fourth Turning: An American Prophecy--What the Cycles of History Tell Us About America's Next Rendevous with Destiny

Maybe it was the word, "Prophecy," in the title that originally put me off. I'm not much on prophecies.

Rather than a prophecy, it's a theory--a hypothesis. It centers on historical human behavior and how certain cycles in society affect the young who then go on to react in predictable ways.

It's not a new book, and I'm not so far into it--about a quarter of the way--that I know what they'll assume could happen, but it's pretty interesting. And, to date, they've cited a lot of dates and events to back their hypothesis.

If they are correct, their timing might be slightly off and the fourth turning, a rather drastic societal cycle, could be starting right now or could have started with the pandemic, which could lead to something much bigger.

If anyone wonders if history repeats itself or if human behavior can be predicted to a degree, you just might find this one interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Fourth-Turning-American-Prophecy-Rendezvous/dp/0767900464/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=fourth+turning&qid=1622319921&sr=8-1

Ethereal
05-29-2021, 04:01 PM
Living systems in general evolve in cycles because our environment itself is so cyclical. Just look at the motion of the planets and their satellites, for example. Predicting exactly when one cycle begins and another ends contains much guesswork, but we can see roughly accurately which direction we're heading in, namely, upswing, downswing, or static. In terms of US political civilization, I think it is clearly in a downswing. The sheer amount of debt it's accumulated is beyond unsustainable.

phoenix
05-29-2021, 04:46 PM
I haven't read the book but just spent time reading a few articles about it. I'm not a fan of 'Prophecy' but believe anyone who has lived long enough, and read enough history, is aware that things seem to go in cycles and I'm probably alluding more to the change in 'mores and attitudes'.

Usually it takes some really bad events to start the change, such as 9-11 which drew our country together for a time - but not long enough. Even this Pandemic has done nothing but drive us apart. It's going to take even worse events to bring this country together again.

Good men create good times.
Good times create bad men.
Bad mean create hard times.
Hard times create good men.

DGUtley
05-29-2021, 04:58 PM
Sounds kind of like: GENERATIONS. I read it years ago.

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/generations-william-strauss/1110763467

FindersKeepers
05-29-2021, 05:27 PM
Sounds kind of like: GENERATIONS. I read it years ago.

https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/generations-william-strauss/1110763467

Aha -- same authors!

It probably is quite similar.

FindersKeepers
05-29-2021, 05:30 PM
I haven't read the book but just spent time reading a few articles about it. I'm not a fan of 'Prophecy' but believe anyone who has lived long enough, and read enough history, is aware that things seem to go in cycles and I'm probably alluding more to the change in 'mores and attitudes'.

I'm the same way, the Prophecy part kind of threw me. I think they could have gone with a better name. Historical cycles do seem to occur, however, and as you say, if one reads enough history they'll likely have an awareness.

Usually it takes some really bad events to start the change, such as 9-11 which drew our country together for a time - but not long enough. Even this Pandemic has done nothing but drive us apart. It's going to take even worse events to bring this country together again.
Good men create good times.
Good times create bad men.
Bad mean create hard times.
Hard times create good men.

I like that saying. True.

You're right about the pandemic driving us apart--we're so divided right now. I hope something worse isn't on the horizon, but we seem to be heading in that direction.

phoenix
05-29-2021, 05:39 PM
[COLOR=#333333]

I'm the same way, the Prophecy part kind of threw me. I think they could have gone with a better name. Historical cycles do seem to occur, however, and as you say, if one reads enough history they'll likely have an awareness.

I like that saying. True.

You're right about the pandemic driving us apart--we're so divided right now. I hope something worse isn't on the horizon, but we seem to be heading in that direction.
Thanks so much. My first comment of approval here! :) I pray things don't get too much worse, for the sake of my children.