PDA

View Full Version : Ten thousand people take part in re-enactment of Battle of Gettysburg

Peter1469
06-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Gettysburg reenactment. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/10150071/Ten-thousand-people-take-part-in-re-enactment-of-Battle-of-Gettysburg.html) With a cool video.

Mister D
06-30-2013, 08:48 PM
I forgot about it. I might have watched. With 10,000 people you ca actually get a feel for what a mass of men looks like when they move in formation.

oceanloverOH
06-30-2013, 08:59 PM
Wow....wouldn't that be a hoot, to take part in something so massive; a re-enactment straight out of history? I'm not close enough to any of the battlegrounds, but I would love to do that!

Peter1469
06-30-2013, 09:01 PM
Wow....wouldn't that be a hoot, to take part in something so massive; a re-enactment straight out of history? I'm not close enough to any of the battlegrounds, but I would love to do that!
I am close to a lot of them. Cool stuff.

oceanloverOH
06-30-2013, 09:06 PM
I am close to a lot of them. Cool stuff.

Have you ever participated, Peter? You should....I can see you commanding a cavalry unit, all spiffy in your dark blue Union uniform, riding a white horse and carrying the U.S. flag into the fray. But then, I love history!

Peter1469
07-01-2013, 06:29 AM
Here is a timely article about the battle (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2013/06/30/gettysburg_where_america_got_its_chance_to_start_o ver_119036.html).

Cigar
07-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Who won?

Peter1469
07-01-2013, 07:04 AM
The good guys.

jillian
07-01-2013, 07:05 AM
The good guys.

heh...

well, i'd guess since it's a re-enactment, the results didn't vary. ;)

although i will say that gettysburgh was one of the most powerful places i've ever been.

Peter1469
07-01-2013, 07:14 AM
heh...

although i will say that gettysburgh was one of the most powerful places i've ever been.

I would like to go back. I would really like to be able to camp out over night!

Cigar
07-01-2013, 07:19 AM
heh...

Looks like Chicago had a costume parade also ... :grin: http://www.chicagotraveler.com/pride-parade-chicago

http://images.chicagotraveler.com/sites/default/files/billboard/pride-parade.jpg?1311886799

jillian
07-01-2013, 07:19 AM
I would like to go back. I would really like to be able to camp out over night!

i'd love to go back. when we went last time, our son was very young. i think he'd appreciate it even more now.

but i don't think i could stay near the battlefield overnight. i've never felt some much "energy" in one place. there's a huge sadness there.

Peter1469
07-01-2013, 07:35 AM
i'd love to go back. when we went last time, our son was very young. i think he'd appreciate it even more now.

but i don't think i could stay near the battlefield overnight. i've never felt some much "energy" in one place. there's a huge sadness there.

Right- that is why I would like to stay overnight.

Mister D
07-01-2013, 08:23 AM

You're in OHio, right? You can't all that far. Gettysburg in in south central PA. Takes me about 3.25 hours from north central New Jersey. If you stay for a few days that's an acceptabl;e drive, IMO.

Mister D
07-01-2013, 08:25 AM
Have you ever participated, Peter? You should....I can see you commanding a cavalry unit, all spiffy in your dark blue Union uniform, riding a white horse and carrying the U.S. flag into the fray. But then, I love history!

I thought it was cool to see so many youngsters involved. I could get away with it because I have a young face for 37 but some of these guys are obese and obviously way older than a Civil War infantryman would have been. The guys they interviewed must have been in their 20s.

Cigar
07-01-2013, 08:29 AM
http://media.monstersandcritics.com/galleries/3087649_24954/0283836855085.jpg

Which one did sport ... ?

Peter1469
07-01-2013, 08:32 AM
You're in OHio, right? You can't all that far. Gettysburg in in south central PA. Takes me about 3.25 hours from north central New Jersey. If you stay for a few days that's an acceptabl;e drive, IMO.

It is about a 2 hour drive for me, so long as I avoid traffic times.

Mister D
07-01-2013, 08:33 AM
It is about a 2 hour drive for me, so long as I avoid traffic times.

Antietam is about 30 minutes from there. If you have a few days you could easily do both. Antietam is much smaller and can be done in a few hours.

Cigar
07-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Still fighting the Civil War
After 150 years, the Civil War still inflames imaginations. What was life really like then, at home and on the battlefield?

You can find out at the annual encampments hosted by historic sites, where reenactors offer artillery drills, medical demonstrations and shopping at Sutlers' Row, where vendors sell period goods.

Many feature appearances by President Lincoln and include period balls, concerts and church services.

But some encampments also include battle reenactments, which give spectators an incredible opportunity to see history in all its sound and fury.

Some feature thundering cavalry and dozens of cannons; others are more intimate, with affecting human dramas woven into the smoke of battle.

The sesquicentennial of the Civil War runs through 2015, so annual reenactments will be much more extensive than usual.

http://www.midwestweekends.com/plan_a_trip/history_heritage/frontier_history/civil_war_battle_reenactments.html

You don't have to go far to play Cowboys and Indians :laugh:

Peter1469
07-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Antietam is about 30 minutes from there. If you have a few days you could easily do both. Antietam is much smaller and can be done in a few hours.

I have not been there yet.

Bulls Run is just to the west of me.

Fredicrksburg, the Wilderness, and other battle sites are to the south of me.

Mister D
07-01-2013, 08:50 AM
I have not been there yet.

Bulls Run is just to the west of me.

Fredicrksburg, the Wilderness, and other battle sites are to the south of me.

I'd like to hit that area of VA. There would probably be a lot of driving involved but I guess you could pick a central location and hit a couples places per day.

Peter1469
07-01-2013, 09:06 AM
I'd like to hit that area of VA. There would probably be a lot of driving involved but I guess you could pick a central location and hit a couples places per day.

Fredicksburg would be the perfect base of ops for the places along the I-95 corridor. I like the Marriott at the end of the historic part of town- walking access to restaurants and bars.

BB-35
07-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Who won?

havent you heard?...NOBODY really won.

jillian
07-01-2013, 04:26 PM
havent you heard?...NOBODY really won.

Wow

Chris
07-01-2013, 04:36 PM
This is neat: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history-archaeology/A-Cutting-Edge-Second-Look-at-the-Battle-of-Gettysburg.html

BB-35
07-01-2013, 08:18 PM
Wow

The North prevailed of course,but what did they win? A nation shattered,years of rebuilding,3/4 of a million dead on both sides...Think about it.