PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Woman Prosecuted for Growing Vegetables

Conley
07-08-2011, 08:32 AM
OUTRAGEOUS I say, OUTRAGEOUS!

Their front yard was torn up after replacing a sewer line, so instead of replacing the dirt with grass, one Oak Park woman put in a vegetable garden and now the city is seeing green.

The list goes on: fresh basil, cabbage, carrots, tomatoes, cumbers and more all filling five large planter boxes that fill the Bass family’s front yard.

Julie Bass says, “We thought we’re minding our own business, doing something not ostentatious and certainly not obnoxious or nothing that is a blight on the neighborhood, so we didn’t think people would care very much.”

But some cared very much and called the city. The city then sent out code enforcement.

“They warned us at first that we had to move the vegetables from the front, that no vegetables were allowed in the front yard. We didn’t move them because we didn’t think we were doing anything wrong, even according to city code we didn’t think we were doing anything wrong. So they ticketed us and charged me with a misdemeanor,” Bass said . . .

City code says that all unpaved portions of the site shall be planted with grass or ground cover or shrubbery or other suitable live plant material. Tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers are what Basses see as suitable.

However, Oak Park’s Planning and Technology Director Kevin Rulkowski says the city disagrees. He says, “If you look at the dictionary, suitable means common. You can look all throughout the city and you’ll never find another vegetable garden that consumes the entire front yard.”

http://www.theagitator.com/2011/07/07/does-michelle-obama-know-about-this/

http://assets.theagitator.com/wp-content/uploads/CM-Capture-21.png

Ridiculous...but not surprising in this day and age. Wonder if the city council has been bought of by Monsanto (I kid, I kid...)

Mister D
07-08-2011, 09:54 AM
That looks awesome. I would love to have that. 8)

Mister D
07-08-2011, 09:55 AM
I wouldn't care if my neighbors had that. I might requisition a few vegis of course. For the people that is...

Conley
07-08-2011, 10:03 AM
I wouldn't care if my neighbors had that. I might requisition a few vegis of course. For the people that is...

seriously!

plus people like that usually give away the extra stuff because they can't possibly eat it all before it goes bad.

there are a crap ton of people around here who don't even bother mowing their lawns, or their houses have been foreclosed on, so the weeds and grass grow up a foot or more. give me a veggie garden any day. only thing is needs is a fence around the whole thing to prevent dogs from lifting their legs on it....and now with that mental image i've ruined everything :o

Mister D
07-08-2011, 10:27 AM

seriously!

plus people like that usually give away the extra stuff because they can't possibly eat it all before it goes bad.

there are a crap ton of people around here who don't even bother mowing their lawns, or their houses have been foreclosed on, so the weeds and grass grow up a foot or more. give me a veggie garden any day. only thing is needs is a fence around the whole thing to prevent dogs from lifting their legs on it....and now with that mental image i've ruined everything :o

That's fertilizer! Besides, you should wash anything from the garden or the grocery store.

Honestly, I thin it looks cool. The monotony of green lawns is a bit much after a while.

Conley
07-08-2011, 10:29 AM
:D um, no, i'm talking about pee. that stuff kills plants. but you're right, it should be washed!

this part also chaps my ass: "However, Oak Park’s Planning and Technology Director Kevin Rulkowski says the city disagrees. He says, “If you look at the dictionary, suitable means common. You can look all throughout the city and you’ll never find another vegetable garden that consumes the entire front yard.”"

First of all, suitable does not equal common. Secondly, the vegetable garden is only 1/2 the front yard, maybe 2/3 if you're pushing. Third, the city ripped up her yard to begin with to put in the lines! She could have just left it as dirt but decided to make it something that looks good and is useful.

Mister D
07-08-2011, 10:39 AM
:D um, no, i'm talking about pee. that stuff kills plants. but you're right, it should be washed!

this part also chaps my ass: "However, Oak Park’s Planning and Technology Director Kevin Rulkowski says the city disagrees. He says, “If you look at the dictionary, suitable means common. You can look all throughout the city and you’ll never find another vegetable garden that consumes the entire front yard.”"

First of all, suitable does not equal common. Secondly, the vegetable garden is only 1/2 the front yard, maybe 2/3 if you're pushing. Third, the city ripped up her yard to begin with to put in the lines! She could have just left it as dirt but decided to make it something that looks good and is useful.

hey, I thin it would be awesome if that was common. Maybe people would strat losing weight if they had vegetable plots at home. >:(

Conley
07-08-2011, 10:50 AM
yep...i was thinking she'd inspire more people to follow suit and plant veggie gardens. unlikely now she's not only been ticketed for her efforts, but is going to be prosecuted by the city d.a. ... if i lived in that town, hoo boy. people need to start standing up to this sort of thing. i'm guessing there must be a lot more to this in terms of politics...someone doesn't like that family and is using the garden as a means of sticking it to them.

How times have changed! Last I checked we were still in a state of war...

Victory gardens, also called war gardens or food gardens for defense, were vegetable, fruit and herb gardens planted at private residences and public parks in United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Germany[1] during World War I and World War II to reduce the pressure on the public food supply brought on by the war effort. In addition to indirectly aiding the war effort these gardens were also considered a civil "morale booster" — in that gardeners could feel empowered by their contribution of labor and rewarded by the produce grown. This made victory gardens become a part of daily life on the home front.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_garden

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/72/Victory-garden.jpg/220px-Victory-garden.jpg

Mister D
07-08-2011, 11:07 AM
yep...i was thinking she'd inspire more people to follow suit and plant veggie gardens. unlikely now she's not only been ticketed for her efforts, but is going to be prosecuted by the city d.a. ... if i lived in that town, hoo boy. people need to start standing up to this sort of thing. i'm guessing there must be a lot more to this in terms of politics...someone doesn't like that family and is using the garden as a means of sticking it to them.

How times have changed! Last I checked we were still in a state of war...

Victory gardens, also called war gardens or food gardens for defense, were vegetable, fruit and herb gardens planted at private residences and public parks in United States, United Kingdom, Canada and Germany[1] during World War I and World War II to reduce the pressure on the public food supply brought on by the war effort. In addition to indirectly aiding the war effort these gardens were also considered a civil "morale booster" — in that gardeners could feel empowered by their contribution of labor and rewarded by the produce grown. This made victory gardens become a part of daily life on the home front.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_garden

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/72/Victory-garden.jpg/220px-Victory-garden.jpg

You never know. This could be at her neighbor's instigation. Some people are f'd up.

freecell
07-08-2011, 11:09 AM
So they would rather her plant flowers. I don't see a problem with it. It doesn't look that bad. Now if they put abandon cars in front of the house or an old couch the city would have a gripe.

Mister D
07-08-2011, 11:22 AM
So they would rather her plant flowers. I don't see a problem with it. It doesn't look that bad. Now if they put abandon cars in front of the house or an old couch the city would have a gripe.

Right. I think we could all agree that if you use your lawn as a trash dump you've gone beyond community standards.

spunkloaf
07-09-2011, 10:41 PM
I'm glad Conley posted this story an not some God damn liberal.

A liberal posts a story like this and people go nuts. "You liberals are always complaining! These people broke the law and it was handled perfectly! Deal with it! These people were probably growing marijuana and plotting to take our white women from us anyways! You're going against what the law says? You're un-American! We should strap you to a bomb and drop you over Iraq! Liberal scum!"

Sorry. I couldn't help it.

Yes, I would agree the actions of that particular community are quite deplorable. It reminds me of the people who had their basketball hoops ripped out of their yards because of whateverthefuck violations.

What America has Become Folks! Can't Even stand on your Property or keep a basketball hoop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0bPt0fQV4#ws)

Conley
07-09-2011, 11:29 PM
oh yeah, i remember that case too. so messed up.

and they wonder why people hate the government...

spunkloaf
07-10-2011, 11:08 AM
I personally would have stayed on the hoop like that lady did. How are they going to get you down without causing serious injury? How can they really charge you with anything?

I feel bad for people who do civil service. They are just trying to make money and better themselves, and they take the brunt of the emotional outrage against the government from other people who feel they are being wronged.

Conley
07-10-2011, 11:40 AM
well she'd need to get down to go the bathroom, etc. and believe it or not, they could charge her...we don't have the rights we used to.

i think the worst part is that they were just flat out lied to. lied to their face and then went ahead and did it anyway...

Mister D
07-10-2011, 11:42 AM

A liberal posts a story like this and people go nuts. "You liberals are always complaining! These people broke the law and it was handled perfectly! Deal with it! These people were probably growing marijuana and plotting to take our white women from us anyways! You're going against what the law says? You're un-American! We should strap you to a bomb and drop you over Iraq! Liberal scum!"

Yes, I would agree the actions of that particular community are quite deplorable. It reminds me of the people who had their basketball hoops ripped out of their yards because of whateverthefuck violations.

What America has Become Folks! Can't Even stand on your Property or keep a basketball hoop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ0bPt0fQV4#ws)

You're unAmerican, Spunk. I'm not even sure why. You just give off an unAmerican vibe. ;D

Conley
07-10-2011, 11:45 AM
spunk is a revolutionary, like che ;)

Mister D
07-10-2011, 11:59 AM
spunk is a revolutionary, like che ;)

I can totally see him with a cigar now. Weird. But kinda cool in a totalitarian way... 8) :-\ :-X

Conley
07-10-2011, 12:04 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_K0haNtOUMe0/SYDii6TP-BI/AAAAAAAACQM/ECgC9mz9W8E/s1600/che%2Bbacklash%2Bshirt%2B2.jpg

O0

MMC
07-10-2011, 12:09 PM
More ammo for the clique.....huh >:D

spunkloaf
07-10-2011, 12:30 PM

You're unAmerican, Spunk. I'm not even sure why. You just give off an unAmerican vibe. ;D

unAmerican, ungodly, and unholy. That's me. >:D
It makes me ponder though, what exactly is American? How do you describe what makes a person American? Further, how do you police that? Surely growing vegetables must be unAmerican. Hey, breaking the law is unAmerican.

Mister D
07-10-2011, 01:25 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_K0haNtOUMe0/SYDii6TP-BI/AAAAAAAACQM/ECgC9mz9W8E/s1600/che%2Bbacklash%2Bshirt%2B2.jpg

O0

:D That's awesome. Great t-shirt idea.

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Here's the deal, there are codes and ordinances like this in certain neighborhoods (especially gated communities) that prohibit people from turning their homes into sanford and son trailer parks.

I don't have a problem with this whatsoever. People move there because they don't want Gunther planting corn in his front yard. If you want to plant corn in your front yard, don't buy a house in these communities. If I paid premium dollar to live in a place that is coded to be turfed and maintenanced and I abide by that code, I want my neighbors to abide by it also, not turn their front yard into a fucking farmers market.

Pretty simple.

Conley
07-10-2011, 06:32 PM
:D except that this isn't a gated community, there's no corn, and that basketball hoop that got ripped out had been there for decades and was well maintained. there were no laws that were being enforced, just bitchy neighbors with city government on their side.

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 06:37 PM
:D except that this isn't a gated community, there's no corn, and that basketball hoop that got ripped out had been there for decades and was well maintained. there were no laws that were being enforced, just bitchy neighbors with city government on their side.

City code says that all unpaved portions of the site shall be planted with grass or ground cover or shrubbery or other suitable live plant material.

I would interpret that as landscaping. Vegetable garden's are not landscaping, but if the code is vague, they can get a lawyer and sue if it's that important to them.

Thank God for lawyers...

I'm guessing if they put a vegetable garden in the back like most everyone else, nobody would be bitching.

Conley
07-10-2011, 06:46 PM

City code says that all unpaved portions of the site shall be planted with grass or ground cover or shrubbery or other suitable live plant material.

I would interpret that as landscaping. Vegetable garden's are not landscaping, but if the code is vague, they can get a lawyer and sue if it's that important to them.

Thank God for lawyers...

I'm guessing if they put a vegetable garden in the back like most everyone else, nobody would be bitching.

I think they did something to piss someone off (more than just having planters in their yard), the rest of the place looks normal in the photo. The city ripped up their yard in the first place, so that's how the whole thing started. Yep, they can get and pay for a lawyer if they feel that strongly. Maybe they can trade some tomatoes for legal advice.

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Yeah, probably.

I have zero tolerance for neighbor politics. My last house was at least 200 yards from the nearest neighbor and my next house will be further.

MMC
07-10-2011, 06:49 PM

Thank God for lawyers...

I think they did something to piss someone off (more than just having planters in their yard), the rest of the place looks normal in the photo. The city ripped up their yard in the first place, so that's how the whole thing started. Yep, they can get and pay for a lawyer if they feel that strongly. Maybe they can trade some tomatoes for legal advice.

Nah....lawers only deal in blood money not catsnip..... >:D lol

Conley
07-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Yeah, probably.

I have zero tolerance for neighbor politics. My last house was at least 200 yards from the nearest neighbor and my next house will be further.

yeah i feel similarly

Conley
07-10-2011, 06:56 PM

Thank God for lawyers...

:D this is in a detroit suburb, so they probably just settle things in blood like you say....

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 07:01 PM

Thank God for lawyers...

:D this is in a detroit suburb, so they probably just settle things in blood like you say....

In a twist of irony, two houses down they have marijuana plants growing in their front yard and a meth lab in the basement.

Conley
07-10-2011, 07:45 PM
my neighbor had a few pot plants in his back yard. they got stolen. now he keeps them in his garage with a sun lamp :-)

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 07:53 PM
my neighbor had a few pot plants in his back yard. they got stolen. now he keeps them in his garage with a sun lamp :-)

When I was a kid - 10, 12 maybe, I was a real entrepreneur. Paper rout kid, I had Pittsburgh's largest newspaper racket going. I had the morning paper (Post Gazette) before I went to school and had the afternoon paper (Pittsburgh Press) after school, and a Sunday paper stand down at the church.

The Lee brothers, Greg and Pat (or Home and Ugh as I used to call them) were my competition. They sucked, never stuffed inserts and were generally unreliable. I used to stray into their territory and tell their customers that I'd give them two weeks of free newspapers if they switched over to me, until I got a letter from the Pittsburgh Press, cease and desist thing.

I was the newspaper mafia.

Anywhoo, my afternoon route up on the Pittsburgh slopes had me cutting through peoples yards and shit like that. This old guy, Italian dude had this huge pot plant growing in his back yard. I recognized it and sort of cockily asked him what it was. He said it was an Italian herb that he brought over from the old country. Right...

The next day it was cut down.

;D ;D ;D

Mister D
07-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Cap't O was a gangsta. Scopin' out the competition's chronic and shit... O0

Conley
07-10-2011, 08:52 PM

:D yeah, it's tough to imagine Cap'n O as a mouthy kid...he's so shy with his opinions ;D

edit: I have used that italian herb line on my Mom when I was in college and needed to explain the smell. she bought it :)

spunkloaf
07-10-2011, 08:58 PM
Yeah, probably.

My dad lived next to somebody who called the cops on just about everything. One time my car was parked in the street in the same spot for too long. It was not that ugly of a car, either. The cops couldn't really do anything, they just asked me if I still drove the car, and suggested that I pull it ahead a couple feet to make it look like I had driven it. Another neighbor had the police and building inspector called out to their place because they were sheet-rocking their basement without a building permit. Motherfuckers. (Wow. Firefox recognizes motherfucker as grammatically correct. haha.)

Mister D
07-10-2011, 09:05 PM

:D yeah, it's tough to imagine Cap'n O as a mouthy kid...he's so shy with his opinions ;D

edit: I have used that italian herb line on my Mom when I was in college and needed to explain the smell. she bought it :)

Ha! That's awesome.

I have to admit that I once smoked oregano by accident. Good Lord was that harsh too. I forget why. For some reason my brother hid a bag with oregano in it and I knew he smoked weed so I thought that's what it was. :-[ :P

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Yeah, probably.

My dad lived next to somebody who called the cops on just about everything. One time my car was parked in the street in the same spot for too long. It was not that ugly of a car, either. The cops couldn't really do anything, they just asked me if I still drove the car, and suggested that I pull it ahead a couple feet to make it look like I had driven it. Another neighbor had the police and building inspector called out to their place because they were sheet-rocking their basement without a building permit. Motherfuckers. (Wow. Firefox recognizes motherfucker as grammatically correct. haha.)

I'm between homes right now, selling the one I own in PA. Most of my shit is moved up here to NH but there's still some stuff left behind.

A couple months ago, my wife drives back to PA, spends the weekend at the old home. It's snowing and instead of firing up the furnace, she builds a fire in the family room where everyone is sleeping. Makes sense, we have wood outside and why heat the whole house?

So smoke is coming out of the chimney and a distant neighbor calls the cops, they show up. State cop, he walks around the house and wonders why someone who would break into a house would be doing laundry (steam coming out of the side vent on the house).

Anyway, no biggie - just a funny story.

Conley
07-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Yeah, probably.

I'm between homes right now, selling the one I own in PA. Most of my shit is moved up here to NH but there's still some stuff left behind.

A couple months ago, my wife drives back to PA, spends the weekend at the old home. It's snowing and instead of firing up the furnace, she builds a fire in the family room where everyone is sleeping. Makes sense, we have wood outside and why heat the whole house?

So smoke is coming out of the chimney and a distant neighbor calls the cops, they show up. State cop, he walks around the house and wonders why someone who would break into a house would be doing laundry (steam coming out of the side vent on the house).

the first time i read this i thought you meant your wife built a fire in the middle of the family room :o :D

now i get it...

it does piss me off when people call the cops instead of just going to their neighbor's house and asking them to turn down the music or whatever...

Conley
07-10-2011, 09:16 PM

Ha! That's awesome.

I have to admit that I once smoked oregano by accident. Good Lord was that harsh too. I forget why. For some reason my brother hid a bag with oregano in it and I knew he smoked weed so I thought that's what it was. :-[ :P

ROFL...your story tops mine by a good stretch :D

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Yeah, probably.

the first time i read this i thought you meant your wife built a fire in the middle of the family room :o :D

now i get it...

it does piss me off when people call the cops instead of just going to their neighbor's house and asking them to turn down the music or whatever...

Hah - that wasn't it. My neighbor across the street (my kid's old math teacher) knew we were out of town for good and thought someone broke into the house and called the cops. They're elderly, I used to plow their driveway with my ATV in the winter time.

I could play my old band right in my back yard and nobody's calling the cops out there.

Conley
07-10-2011, 09:34 PM
makes sense...those are the kinds of neighbors i like. we have a bit of property in our back and trade phone calls with the neighbors when there are trespassers. only time i didn't confront one myself was when there was a sketchy looking guy with a chainsaw (i don't have a gun). for him i called the cops ;D turns out he was an illegal hired by a dickwad a few houses down, hired to clear brush and was using the trails i made (on my land) for access.

Captain Obvious
07-10-2011, 09:37 PM
My neighbor closer to me has a key to my house, in case something goes haywire. I tried to sell it to him first before I listed it, he has adult kids and I thought he might be interested in them living there, but he doesn't want to be living that close to them, oh well.

He's a good guy also, I used to plow his driveway. He spent some time up in Alaska working on the pipeline and it was just his wife and daughters living at home. When he was home he'd do me favors also. Had a mini bobcat, knocked a couple trees down for me and helped me push some snow piles back when we ran out of space to pile snow.

spunkloaf
07-10-2011, 11:04 PM
My neighbor closer to me has a key to my house, in case something goes haywire. I tried to sell it to him first before I listed it, he has adult kids and I thought he might be interested in them living there, but he doesn't want to be living that close to them, oh well.

He's a good guy also, I used to plow his driveway. He spent some time up in Alaska working on the pipeline and it was just his wife and daughters living at home. When he was home he'd do me favors also. Had a mini bobcat, knocked a couple trees down for me and helped me push some snow piles back when we ran out of space to pile snow.

I like neighbors like that. My dad does that for his neighbors too. Mows their lawns and plows their driveways. I can't wait to get a house so I can do shit like that.

MMC
07-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Well hellfire.....Move next door to me then. I got plenty you can do round my place. Plus, since I dont drink beer. I will throw you a case. NP! >:D