PDA

View Full Version : Pope John Paul II to be named a Saint

KC
07-05-2013, 01:06 PM
What do you guys (especially any Catholics) think about the Vatican's recent decision to name Pope John Paul II a saint (http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2013/07/05/198993166/pope-john-paul-ii-will-be-made-a-saint)? Is he deserving of the title? Is it too soon to know?

Mister D
07-05-2013, 01:32 PM
He was easily the most influential post-war Pope.

roadmaster
07-05-2013, 01:33 PM
I am not Catholic and worship no man, only God.

Mister D
07-05-2013, 01:36 PM
I am not Catholic and worship no man, only God.

Catholics don't worship saints.

Common
07-05-2013, 01:37 PM
He was easily the most influential post-war Pope.

and the most loved. I would say if anyone in recent history deserved sainthood it would be him.

Mister D
07-05-2013, 01:39 PM
and the most loved. I would say if anyone in recent history deserved sainthood it would be him.

Yes, that too. he was both loved and widely respected.

roadmaster
07-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Catholics don't worship saints. Never been in a Catholic Church sorry for my ignorance. Have extended family on my husbands side and a few friends that are Priest. In fact I liked this Catholic Priest so much I named my first son after him.

oceanloverOH
07-05-2013, 02:02 PM
I think that's an excellent choice, and well-deserved. I'm not Catholic, but have had a lot of Catholic training....and as I understand it, the Catholics do NOT pray to or worship the saints. They only ask the saints, as holy souls who are very close to God, to help intercede to make their relationship with God stronger and closer.

Edit: The article doesn't say much....but I was not aware that one of the requirements for canonization was two miracles attributed to the candidate and documented as genuine. Interesting!

Chris
07-05-2013, 02:10 PM
The Pope who declared evolution a fact!

countryboy
07-05-2013, 02:15 PM
The Pope who declared evolution a fact!
Do you have a quote?

Chris
07-05-2013, 02:26 PM
Do you have a quote?

See Truth Cannot Contradict Truth (http://www.newadvent.org/library/docs_jp02tc.htm).

Chris
07-06-2013, 09:14 AM
Countryboy, note that he separates out two realms, the scientific and the religious, the material and the spiritual, let us say, the how and they why. Ever since Newton scientists have aimed at explaining the universe without recourse to God. It confines itself to scientific method. That doesn't deny the possibility God created what science describes. Pope John Paul II would argue God did.

countryboy
07-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Countryboy, note that he separates out two realms, the scientific and the religious, the material and the spiritual, let us say, the how and they why. Ever since Newton scientists have aimed at explaining the universe without recourse to God. It confines itself to scientific method. That doesn't deny the possibility God created what science describes. Pope John Paul II would argue God did.

And he would be wrong IMHO. The Bible is pretty explicit about creation. It's fine if one wants to believe in Darwinian evolution, just don't blame it on God.

Chris
07-06-2013, 09:31 AM
And he would be wrong IMHO. The Bible is pretty explicit about creation. It's fine if one wants to believe in Darwinian evolution, just don't blame it on God.

Oh, so which creation story in the Bible do you choose to go by?

GrassrootsConservative
07-06-2013, 03:13 PM
The Catholics need some positive public attention now that the pope scandal is successfully covered up, so it's time to name a new "saint."

Chris
07-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Pope scandal?

GrassrootsConservative
07-06-2013, 03:59 PM
Pope scandal?

Yep. In these modern times popes stay pope until they die. The last pope to resign was in the 1400's.

The obvious is that there was a child molestation scandal they needed to cover up. So he took the easy way out and resigned.

Mister D
07-06-2013, 04:01 PM
lol

Chris
07-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Yep. In these modern times popes stay pope until they die. The last pope to resign was in the 1400's.

The obvious is that there was a child molestation scandal they needed to cover up. So he took the easy way out and resigned.

Never heard that referred to as the Pope scandal.

GrassrootsConservative
07-06-2013, 04:12 PM
Never heard that referred to as the Pope scandal.

That's because Catholics have a lot of blood money to cover it up with.

/Edit: This is speculation on my part. It has no foundation other than the fact that this last pope is the first pope to resign in 600 years.

But I'd bet money on it.