PDA

View Full Version : Ran 3 Miles...

Conley
07-08-2011, 10:01 AM
...the last couple of nights.

Felt pretty good, it's a better stress reliever than my usual (the bottle)

I have more energy at night but running in the dark I'm always worried about falling. I've had more than a few skinned knees doing that...

Mister D
07-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Cool. Isn't a great strees reliever. It's weird but when I'm stressed from work I actually run like a champion. By the time it's over I'm a new man. 8)

I usually run after work. I tried running in the morning when I was 17 and gave it up pretty fast. I have a lot more energy in the PM hours plus I'm too thin to run on an empty stomach. I get the dry heaves after a mile or so.

MMC
07-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Sinbad - A woman who understands the signs of stroke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJCZVcCQR3E#ws)

I use to say the only time I run.....is when am being chased by the cops or those from the other hoods. Of Course there must be great numbers in order to cause this. (you know typical inflated ego of a young-buck) now I am 60. I don't run.....period!

Conley
07-08-2011, 01:02 PM
you're never too old to run! look at these guys, they're ancient ;D

A Flock of Seagulls - I Ran (So Far Away) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJ7NVjZ-Eyg#)

MMC
07-08-2011, 01:07 PM
:'(.................. :'(.....................http://politirant.com/Smileys/oldrant/killme.gif

Captain Obvious
07-08-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm going to start bicycling probably this weekend.

Lots of scenic biking trails here next to home.

Conley
07-08-2011, 03:23 PM
I'm going to start bicycling probably this weekend.

Lots of scenic biking trails here next to home.

Off road? Hope so, safer that way...I think Stephen King was walking not biking but rural winding NE roads, yeah, be careful...

Captain Obvious
07-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Stephen King is noted to frequent a couple of restaurants in my town. I've never seen him though.

I'll tell you if I run into him on the trail.

The only celeb that I've ever met during my travels was Ron Jeremy - on a flight from the west coast to Buffalo. He was in coach, go figure. I noticed him off the bat as I was walking down the aisle, I said "hey, you're Ron Jeremy" and he said "hey, you're right".

The captain even announced over the intercom that we had a "movie star" on board.

Mister D
07-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Regarding falling, it's a real hazard in the winter. It's dark by the time I get home and I fall at least once every winter. Hurts like a bitch in the cold too. The last time it happened I slipped on ice in a Dunkin' Donuts parking lot. I fell straight down on my shins. I cussed. Glared at the fat POS eating at that place and limped on.

Mister D
07-08-2011, 09:31 PM
Yes, I run in the snow. The only thing that stops Mister D (my friends here can call me Brian :)) is rain when it's cold out.

Conley
07-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Yes, I run in the snow. The only thing that stops Mister D (my friends here can call me Brian :)) is rain when it's cold out.

:o :o ;)

Conley
07-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Regarding falling, it's a real hazard in the winter. It's dark by the time I get home and I fall at least once every winter. Hurts like a bitch in the cold too. The last time it happened I slipped on ice in a Dunkin' Donuts parking lot. I fell straight down on my shins. I cussed. Glared at the fat POS eating at that place and limped on.

Donuts will kill you, one way or another. The donuts always win. :-\

Captain Obvious
07-08-2011, 10:03 PM

I'm not a runner, but I can hike like nobody's business. I was on a regiment where I was hiking 7 or so miles a day, I need to get back on that regiment.

We've done some hiking in NH since we've got here, but not consistently. There are sights out there in the woods, waterfalls mostly and my wife and mother-in-law when she stayed a few weeks with us decided they wanted to hike to this fall - it was a 5 mile hike to it. What they didn't know was that it was a fairly technical hike - lots of rocks and steep climbs.

She's like 63 and I asked her numerous times if she wanted to turn back but she stuck it out. It kicked my ass and I'm in a little better shape than she is. Nice falls also, probably 500 feet high.

Mister D
07-09-2011, 09:29 AM

I'm not a runner, but I can hike like nobody's business. I was on a regiment where I was hiking 7 or so miles a day, I need to get back on that regiment.

We've done some hiking in NH since we've got here, but not consistently. There are sights out there in the woods, waterfalls mostly and my wife and mother-in-law when she stayed a few weeks with us decided they wanted to hike to this fall - it was a 5 mile hike to it. What they didn't know was that it was a fairly technical hike - lots of rocks and steep climbs.

She's like 63 and I asked her numerous times if she wanted to turn back but she stuck it out. It kicked my ass and I'm in a little better shape than she is. Nice falls also, probably 500 feet high.

Hiking sound like a good time and a good workout. I would probably have to go to the Delaware Water Gap on the PA border to get a real hiking experience. I'm by the Watchung Mountains but I don't now if they are going to cut it. I know a lot of folks bike up there though.

Mister D
07-09-2011, 09:30 AM

Donuts will kill you, one way or another. The donuts always win. :-\

It's fried cake, dude. lol I mean...really. :-\

GRUMPY
07-09-2011, 03:39 PM
back in the day one of the guys i used to train had run track for unlv....traded free training sessions for some track coaching and inspiration as well as two free pairs of saucony running shoes....he had me running alternate five and three mile days monday thru saturday....ran the threes at just under six minutes per mile, slowed down quite a bit on the five mile days....did these after 90 minute weight training sessions....one has to be fit to command a lighthouse boys....

Mister D
07-09-2011, 04:09 PM
back in the day one of the guys i used to train had run track for unlv....traded free training sessions for some track coaching and inspiration as well as two free pairs of saucony running shoes....he had me running alternate five and three mile days monday thru saturday....ran the threes at just under six minutes per mile, slowed down quite a bit on the five mile days....did these after 90 minute weight training sessions....one has to be fit to command a lighthouse boys....

8) I do some strength training to but just to stay strong and toned. Between my metabolism and probable calorie deficit increased muscle mass ain't happening.

GRUMPY
07-09-2011, 06:05 PM

8) I do some strength training to but just to stay strong and toned. Between my metabolism and probable calorie deficit increased muscle mass ain't happening.

well certainly you have to eat, sleep and appropriately exercise, but barring injuries i think that one can maintain and for the unexplored, even increase muscle mass late into life....

Mister D
07-09-2011, 07:07 PM

well certainly you have to eat, sleep and appropriately exercise, but barring injuries i think that one can maintain and for the unexplored, even increase muscle mass late into life....

I agree but as an avid runner it's very hard. I have maintained my strength and definition but mass (i.e. gaining weight) is a difficult goal.

Conley
07-09-2011, 07:17 PM

I agree but as an avid runner it's very hard. I have maintained my strength and definition but mass (i.e. gaining weight) is a difficult goal.

5 miles a day is a good distance, but plenty of guys combine that with building some mass. I think it's as simple as you say, a lack of calories. Do you not enjoy eating? Get some good Italian food -- that's everywhere in Jersey, and an enjoyable way to get some extra calories in a good way, better than a protein shake ;D