PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa

Mister D
07-16-2013, 03:25 PM
The turning point in the Spanish Reconquista occured today in 1212. The united forces of the Spanish kingdoms (Castile, Aragon, Navarre, and Portugal) met the forces of the Almohad Dynasty, who ruled what was then Islamic Spain, on the plains of Las Navas de Tolosa. The Muslims had defeated a Christian force at Alarcos some 15 years earlier and were poised to threaten more Christian territory. So threatening were the Almohad's latest maneuvers that the great Pope Innocent III called for a crusade. On the other hand, the Almohads had been growing increasingly weak and the majority of their troops were Jihadis and assorted mercenaries from North Africa. That is, the tide had turned years before but it was not at all apparent to contemporary Spaniards. Even the crushing defeat inflicted on the Almohad's at Las Navas de Tolosa did not immediately effect the balance of power. The Christian princes were not united and the Almohads could still draw on their possesssions in North Africa but it was the beginning of the end for Al-Andalus.

Several prominent Spanish and Portuguese knights (including Templars) were killed in the fighting. The Caliph was also killed leaving his young son on throne.

Peter1469
07-16-2013, 06:14 PM
The turning point in the Spanish Reconquista occured today in 1212. The united forces of the Spanish kingdoms (Castile, Aragon, Navarre, and Portugal) met the forces of the Almohad Dynasty, who ruled what was then Islamic Spain, on the plains of Las Navas de Tolosa. The Muslims had defeated a Christian force at Alarcos some 15 years earlier and were poised to threaten more Christian territory. So threatening were the Almohad's latest maneuvers that the great Pope Innocent III called for a crusade. On the other hand, the Almohads had been growing increasingly weak and the majority of their troops were Jihadis and assorted mercenaries from North Africa. That is, the tide had turned years before but it was not at all apparent to contemporary Spaniards. Even the crushing defeat inflicted on the Almohad's at Las Navas de Tolosa did not immediately effect the balance of power. The Christian princes were not united and the Almohads could still draw on their possesssions in North Africa but it was the beginning of the end for Al-Andalus.

Several prominent Spanish and Portuguese knights (including Templars) were killed in the fighting. The Caliph was also killed leaving his young son on throne.

Great stuff. I really need to get back to the old Muslim Spanish cities. I got most of them south of Cordova.

Mister D
07-16-2013, 07:05 PM
I read a book on the Reconquista a few years back ad I was surprised by how hopeless the Muslim situation was in the long term at least in this author's opinion. For example, they needed fresh blood and inspiration from North Africa several times.