PDA

View Full Version : Possible Al Queda Attack Kills 40 in Syria

Conley
12-23-2011, 01:14 PM
At least 40 people have been killed and more than 100 injured in two suicide car bombings in Syria's capital, Damascus, officials say.

State TV said suspected al-Qaeda militants had targeted a General Security Directorate base and another security agency in the Kafr Sousa area.

But opposition activists said the government had staged the attacks to influence an Arab League observer team.

The observers are part of a plan to end the deadly crackdown on dissent.

The UN says more than 5,000 people have been killed and thousands more detained since anti-government protests erupted in March.

The monitors are tasked with overseeing the government's compliance with an agreement that should see an end to violence by both sides, troops withdrawn from the streets and all detained
protesters released.

But human rights and opposition activists said the killings continued on Friday, with security forces shooting dead at least 12 civilians.

The US state department on Friday condemned the attacks but said they must not deter the Arab League observers from doing their work.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-16313879

This could be a ruse designed to distract from the Syrian government's crackdown.

Mister D
12-23-2011, 01:17 PM
Perhaps. Awfully bloody ruse though.

Conley
12-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Yep, more:

"The two explosions are unprecedented. Many people were surprised that within 20 minutes, the government had ascertained that the blasts were the results of al-Qaeda attacks.It is hard to tell what the reaction of the Syrian government will be, after days of major assaults by the security forces in the Jabal al-Zawiya area of northern Idlib province. Hundreds of people have been killed there since the government signed a protocol with the Arab League, allowing for the deployment of an observer mission.
Many are also asking why the blasts happened a day after the observers' advance party arrived. The opposition and protesters, who are once again taking to the streets, blame the government, saying it is attempting to persuade the observers that there are terrorists operating inside the country."

Mister D
12-23-2011, 01:25 PM
Sheesh...what a mess. Maybe someone will claim "credit".

Conley
12-23-2011, 01:27 PM
Sure smells like a lot of BS, doesn't it? It's not as if this government is above killing its own citizens. They proven they have no problem with it.

MMC
12-23-2011, 01:36 PM
Both factions are killing each other. The Sunni are not innocent thats for sure. Neither is Assad. My question is......should the Sunni be allowed to take control of Syria with their majority population?

Conley
12-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Should we be the ones to decide or should we step back and let them sort it out?

Mister D
12-23-2011, 01:41 PM
Sure smells like a lot of BS, doesn't it? It's not as if this government is above killing its own citizens. They proven they have no problem with it.

From what I've read ths far, yes. It's highly suspicious.

MMC
12-23-2011, 05:31 PM
Is it righteous to allow the Sunni to oust Assads government? As their population has grown to the majority over all others in Syria.

Are not the Sunni attempting to fall back on the purest form of Democracy there is. Majority rule unrestrained by the law.

Conley
12-23-2011, 05:37 PM
I don't know, that's why I am asking. Usually in these instances whoever wages war better is the one who ends up making the decisions. Should we even be involved? If so, why? There are civil wars all over the globe. The last couple we got involved with (Egypt, Libya) didn't work so well and the next (Iraq) might not either.

MMC
12-23-2011, 05:59 PM
I don't know, that's why I am asking. Usually in these instances whoever wages war better is the one who ends up making the decisions. Should we even be involved? If so, why? There are civil wars all over the globe. The last couple we got involved with (Egypt, Libya) didn't work so well and the next (Iraq) might not either.

If one looks at the Sunni as a whole. Then one will see this is what they have done in every country they are in. Yemen, Bahrain, Oman, Kuwait, until they are the minority. Yet then such is a different story if the majority rises up against them. Know what I mean.

As to should we be involved in their affairs. Not in my book.

roadmaster
12-24-2011, 03:17 AM
Should we be the ones to decide or should we step back and let them sort it out?
We need to leave it alone. We can't prevent them from killing each other, it's been going on for a long time. Why risk our men and women, we can't police the world nor should we.

MMC
12-24-2011, 06:42 AM
How does one view the conflcits that are going on todays world? Would you say they are a-typical of politics betweeen sovereign nations? Racial and Cultural? Finally Religious? What would you think of someone who was not from here in our time and what they were seeing? What would you think their perception would be, with what we have going on now?