PDA

View Full Version : Free Speech And Why It Matters

Skull
01-08-2022, 06:22 PM
Andrew Doyle, aka Tatiana McGrath on Twitter, pens this vital new one.

"History does not look fondly on the hubris of those who, like Galileo’s inquisitors, appoint themselves as arbiters of permissible speech and thought. Their authority is only ever contingent on the wisdom of their time. Today’s free speech sceptics are characterised by a similar tendency to mistake self-satisfaction for infallibility. If nothing else, the story of Galileo is a potent reminder of the importance of freedom of speech, and how none of us can ever be sure which heresies of today will become the certainties of tomorrow.
I start from the proposition that free speech is nothing less than the keystone of our civilisation."

CCitizen
01-08-2022, 06:28 PM
I agree 100%. Progressives and Democrats are Enemies of Freedom. I have many disagreements with Conservatives, but Liberals are The Greater Evil.

FindersKeepers
01-09-2022, 04:49 AM

"History does not look fondly on the hubris of those who, like Galileo’s inquisitors, appoint themselves as arbiters of permissible speech and thought. Their authority is only ever contingent on the wisdom of their time. Today’s free speech sceptics are characterised by a similar tendency to mistake self-satisfaction for infallibility. If nothing else, the story of Galileo is a potent reminder of the importance of freedom of speech, and how none of us can ever be sure which heresies of today will become the certainties of tomorrow.
I start from the proposition that free speech is nothing less than the keystone of our civilisation."

It absolutely is, but too many today are convinced they must control not only others' speech, but also their thoughts.

I think we started down that slippery slope when we enacted "hate crimes." A crime is a crime is a crime, yet we chose to enact punishment for the thoughts of the perpetrator. We justified it by saying hate crimes had the special ability to strike fear in the hearts of those who might be similar to the victim of certain crimes.

But many types of crimes strike fear in others--how many shop owners were worried when riots and looting broke out in numerous cities?

Peter1469
01-09-2022, 09:52 AM
It absolutely is, but too many today are convinced they must control not only others' speech, but also their thoughts.

I think we started down that slippery slope when we enacted "hate crimes." A crime is a crime is a crime, yet we chose to enact punishment for the thoughts of the perpetrator. We justified it by saying hate crimes had the special ability to strike fear in the hearts of those who might be similar to the victim of certain crimes.

But many types of crimes strike fear in others--how many shop owners were worried when riots and looting broke out in numerous cities?

We tell those people no.

LWW
07-25-2022, 02:34 AM
Control of speech is more important to thugocracy in the long run than disarmament of the masses.

Peter1469
07-25-2022, 02:50 AM
Control of speech is more important to thugocracy in the long run than disarmament of the masses.

I don't agree. Disarming the masses is an essential requirement for tyrants and autocrats.

That is why the left in the US (much of it) really want to get rid of guns. At least from law abiding members of society.

DGUtley
07-25-2022, 03:51 AM

montana
07-25-2022, 06:11 AM
even here FREE SPEECH is limited

DGUtley
07-25-2022, 06:20 AM
even here FREE SPEECH is limited

This isn't the government.

stephenpe
07-25-2022, 07:08 AM
I agree 100%. Progressives and Democrats are Enemies of Freedom. I have many disagreements with Conservatives, but Liberals are The Greater Evil.
a few of the ways a group tries to limite free speech,
The press is the enemy of the people.
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — A Florida Department of Education review of 132 math books has led to the banning of more than 40% of them due to what the state calls “prohibited topics” including critical race theory and social-emotional learning.
CRT is trying to indoctrinate our children to hate themselves.

DGUtley
07-25-2022, 07:12 AM
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — A Florida Department of Education review of 132 math books has led to the banning of more than 40% of them due to what the state calls “prohibited topics” including critical race theory and social-emotional learning.

You think that teachers should be able to teach whatever the hell they want?
You think the press should be able to make up stuff - and not be called out on it (still looking for those 57 that said Hunter's laptop was a Russian hoax)?

MisterVeritis
07-25-2022, 12:57 PM

A right to speak freely is unimportant without the right of self defense.

MisterVeritis
07-25-2022, 01:00 PM
This is untrue. People don't voluntarily go to their murders, they go because they were disarmed first.

MisterVeritis
07-25-2022, 01:01 PM
a few of the ways a group tries to limit free speech,
Cool. I really like the Free State of Florida.

roadmaster
07-26-2022, 08:10 PM
Free speech should be mostly important for Christians. Anything the Bible says, others call it hate speech, even fake Christians. They see our weak R's, the double standard of the left.

Chuck
07-26-2022, 08:18 PM
Bringing back literacy tests and implementing civics tests for all 3 levels of govt. would go a long way to improve govt. Even sociopaths like Joe Kennedy recognized that without any law and order the country was doomed and he would end up with nothing if the society and economy continued to deteriorate into anarchy. I don't see any sanity in indulging wingnuts on either wing and pretending we all need to take them seriously.

carolina73
07-26-2022, 09:21 PM

How does CRT belong in math books? I thought we were teaching math in math classes.

Calling it burning is just hyperbole. They recycled them and made copies of Trump's newest coffee table book for your living room.

carolina73
07-26-2022, 09:28 PM
Just think. Without free speech we would all be walking around repeating:

The grownups are back in charge.
Hunter is the smartest man we know
Jan 6th was an insurrection
Inflation is transitory
There is no recession
Poor people need to go buy new electric cars if they are worried about the price of gas
There are 92 genders and you can be any one that you want
White people are bad

Cotton1
02-07-2023, 01:36 PM

Fact

Mini Me
02-08-2023, 08:14 PM

That is pure RUBBISH! Our great nation was founded upon principles of liberal democracy!

Cotton1
02-09-2023, 01:01 AM

True. Control of speech is the primary tool for an adversary.

Taking weapons is a manner of doing so without opposition verbalized , written etc

The #1 free speech question is who decides when , where and what is not freedom of speech .

IOW , "hate speech " has been defined in a manner that is unfair and clearly points out who opposes it

DGUtley
02-09-2023, 03:47 AM
Congress shall make no law….

LWW
02-09-2023, 04:48 PM
That is pure RUBBISH! Our great nation was founded upon principles of liberal democracy!

That’s odd being that we are and never have been a democracy.

This nation was as a libertarian republic.

Democracy is evil incarnate, it is two wolves and a sheep voting on who is going to be dinner.

LWW
02-09-2023, 04:51 PM
I agree, with the exception that democrats are not liberals … they are trespassing on the language by putting a smiley face out there while they pillage liberty.

LWW
02-09-2023, 05:02 PM
True. Control of speech is the primary tool for an adversary.

Taking weapons is a manner of doing so without opposition verbalized , written etc

The #1 free speech question is who decides when , where and what is not freedom of speech .

IOW , "hate speech " has been defined in a manner that is unfair and clearly points out who opposes it

The SCOTUS has been very strong on defending 1A and 2A.

The problem is that the population has largely been priced out of competent legal care.

Localities know this and some use it to violate rights a lot.

The cop who does it doesn’t pay except in the most brutal cases, the taxpayer does.

The internal affairs department in many cities is completely buggered.

Our nation needs to realize that the system is rotting from within.

Mini Me
02-09-2023, 08:55 PM
That’s odd being that we are and never have been a democracy.

This nation was as a libertarian republic.

Democracy is evil incarnate, it is two wolves and a sheep voting on who is going to be dinner.
Libertarian never existed back then!
If you hate democracy you must be a FASCIST!!

Peter1469
02-10-2023, 07:31 AM

Our Founders hated democracy (at the federal level).

Hoosier8
02-10-2023, 07:54 AM

Classic liberalism, not todays neo Marxist liberalism.

Hoosier8
02-10-2023, 07:56 AM

They sure did exist but it was called classic liberalism. Libertarians are closest to classical liberalism than Rs or Ds.

Cotton1
06-06-2023, 08:30 PM

"Hate crimes " is very biased by it's definition. The definition is one that excludes the alleged victim from prosecution simply for repeating back to the speaker what the speaker just stated. It's a racist insincere travesty of applied justice.

What's not to like about one's voting base having free reign on the the competition while the alleged perpetrator is stifled , by law before the infraction ever occurs.

I have to believe that Hate Crime laws are meant to frustrate, anger and bait the ones who do not enjoy the same freedoms as the group it is supposed to protect while also creating loyalty to the ideology they tend to embrace.

Skull
06-07-2023, 11:51 AM
Tucker Carlson on Twitter now. First episode is 10 minutes long, which is "long form" for Twitter, I gather. Many millions are watching him:

https://twitter.com/tuckercarlson

Tahuyaman
06-08-2023, 09:58 PM
Free speech is under assault.