PDA

View Full Version : Turkey-AirStrike Into Northern Iraq Kills 35.....

MMC
12-29-2011, 08:03 AM
DIYARBAKIR, Turkey (Reuters) - Turkish warplanes launched air strikes against suspected Kurdish militants in northern Iraq near the Turkish border overnight, the military said on Thursday, but local officials said the attack killed 35 smugglers who were mistaken for guerrillas.

The Turkish military confirmed it had launched the strike after unmanned drones spotted suspected rebels of the Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK), but said there were no civilians in the area and it was investigating the incident.

The pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) said in a statement that 35 people had been killed and party leaders were heading for the area. Joint chairman Selahattin Demirtas said the party announced a three-day period of mourning.
"It is clear there was a massacre. They will try to cover it up ... We will not allow them to cover it up," Turkish media reported Demirtas as saying. The BDP said it would hold demonstrations in Istanbul and elsewhere to protest the deaths.

Security sources said those killed were carrying canisters of diesel on mules and their bodies were found on the Iraqi side of the border.

They said those killed were from Uludere on the Turkish side of the border on what was a regular smuggling route.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/turkish-air-strike-kills-30-southeast-turkey-mayoy-071020987.html <<<<<More Here!

Turkey didnt even wait until they got to their side of the Border. They launched Military planes to take these guys out. They state most of them were 17-20yrs old. One side is talking about it is a smugglers route. Does this make a difference to any Government? Turkey shows they will secure their borders at all costs. Terroists or criminals doesnt matter.

What should matter tho is Turkey sending Planes into another foreign country. Should this be accepted? Does the EXCUSE they are terrorists hold weight over the Sovereignty of Another Country? Just Imagine if we did this to the Criminals that run along our borders.

Mister D
12-29-2011, 08:57 AM
Not sure how I feel about this.

Does the EXCUSE they are terrorists hold weight over the Sovereignty of Another Country?

It does for us and I believe the Turks when they say they believe they were militants.

MMC
12-29-2011, 09:19 AM
I don't question their intel. Shouldnt they have had to Contact the Iraqi Military and let them handle whats inside their border. Turkey could have waited until they crossed the Border onto their land and then acted. Shouldnt the Iraqis be forced to either show they stand against terrorists or that they are sympathetic to them?

Just because we say the excuse is valid. Doesnt mean that Sovereign Country has to accept such nor agree with it. Now who would be correct Citing Sovereign Law over their own land? As opposed to Someone else's Worries!

Mister D
12-29-2011, 09:23 AM
We've done the same thing though. These border regions are difficult and mountainous (i.e. pretty fluid).

MMC
12-29-2011, 09:29 AM
To bad we dont use the same tactic on the drug cartels around our border. Mexico would scream bloody murder if we pulled something like that.

Mister D
12-29-2011, 09:30 AM
Well, our Justice Department has already been complicit in the murder of Mexican civilians by running guns. Anyway, I can't relly blame Turkey for doing what everyone else does in those border regions.

Mister D
12-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Mind you, that's why the rebel groups operate there. It's unclear who or where they actually are.

MMC
12-29-2011, 09:38 AM
Do you belive those Kurds.....those are smuggling routes.:laugh: We would be like thank you very much. Five-O Johnny on the spot.

Mister D
12-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Do you belive those Kurds.....those are smuggling routes.:laugh: We would be like thank you very much. Five-O Johnny on the spot.

No one is a militant after they get nailed. lol But who knows. I doubt we'll ever have definitive evidence either way.

Conley
12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
We've done the same thing though. These border regions are difficult and mountainous (i.e. pretty fluid).

Exactly...I can't call Turkey out for doing it when we do this sort of thing all the time. If we still patrolled N. Iraq then I might consider that they should have given us a heads up. These days I doubt anyone is really patrolling with vigilance up there.

Conley
12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
One can be both a smuggler and a terrorist ya know :wink:

MMC
12-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Morning bro.....that is true.

Mister D
12-29-2011, 10:32 AM
Besides, you know no one is just hanging out up there. They are up to no good be they "terrorists" or not.

MMC
12-29-2011, 10:48 AM
So you agree that another country should be allowed to strike into another country anytime terrorists or criminals are out and about.....and that there should be no repercussions whatsoever?

Conley
12-29-2011, 10:52 AM
So you agree that another country should be allowed to strike into another country anytime terrorists or criminals are out and about.....and that there should be no repercussions whatsoever?

I think it's up to the country to defend its borders. If a country can't police its own border then other countries are going to go in and take care of business when necessary. It's not about what's fair, just the reality of it.

Mister D
12-29-2011, 10:56 AM
I think it's up to the country to defend its borders. If a country can't police its own border then other countries are going to go in and take care of business when necessary. It's not about what's fair, just the reality of it.

Bingo. I understand where MMC is coming from and he's right to an extent. hye problem comes when one state cannot (or will not) police its own borders.

MMC
12-29-2011, 11:36 AM
Which like in Iraq's case would put them on the bubble to either take care of the problem or be known they turn a blind eye to such.