PDA

View Full Version : An Old-Fashioned Casserole Recipe

oceanloverOH
07-29-2013, 08:56 AM
I'm going to make one of my Mom's recipes for dinner tonight (@Mister D, you'll like this one).........

MOM'S HAMBURGER AND VEGGIE CASSEROLE
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
Number of servings: 4-6

1 lb lean ground beef
1 small or ½ medium onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
3 medium potatoes, pared and sliced medium thickness
4 carrots, pared and sliced medium thickness
4 stalks celery, sliced medium thickness
1 can corn, drained (reserve liquid in measuring cup)
1 can green beans, drained (reserve liquid in measuring cup)
1 can tomato soup
1 can tomato sauce
Dash tabasco (optional)

Heat oven to 375°. Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper to ground beef in skillet. Brown and drain. In 3-qt casserole dish, layer half of vegetables - potatoes, carrots, celery, corn, green beans. Repeat with second layer. Place meat/onion mixture on top and spread evenly. Spread soup on top of meat. Add can of tomato sauce and spread evenly. Add dash of tabasco, if using. Poke 8-10 holes through casserole with handle of wooden spoon, then add reserved canned vegetable liquid so liquid and some sauce/soup will drain down in.

Cover and bake at 375° for 1½ to 2 hours, till veggies are soft. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, then mix well and serve. Cover tightly and refrigerate leftovers.

strollingbonez
07-29-2013, 09:05 AM
ya just couldnt resist could you? my opinion...casseroles are for people who cannot cook...you just toss it in a large pan and mix....nasty nasty

btw how is the most loveable one?

oceanloverOH
07-29-2013, 09:19 AM
You're a mean girl this morning (but I still love ya....) This dish takes a lot of prep, and it's really good....don't knock what you haven't tried!

Who is the most loveable one?

Common
07-30-2013, 12:45 AM
Casseroles are good OC, old fashioned casseroles were a staple last generation, when everyone couldnt afford lobster and steak :) I still like casseroles

oceanloverOH
07-30-2013, 12:51 AM
Casseroles are good OC, old fashioned casseroles were a staple last generation, when everyone couldnt afford lobster and steak :) I still like casseroles

Me too, Common.....and this one makes enough for 2 dinners for two plus maybe a lunch, so it's quite economical.

Common
07-30-2013, 12:52 AM
Me too, @Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659).....and this one makes enough for 2 dinners for two plus maybe a lunch, so it's quite economical.

Good old comfort food, I love it.

strollingbonez
07-30-2013, 10:27 AM
bad cooking is good comfort food? and lobster use to be dirt cheap in the north east...lasagna is the only casserole i will make...much to the dismay of the hubby...he grew up southern baptist and thinks casseroles are wonderful...

oceanloverOH
07-30-2013, 10:45 AM
bad cooking is good comfort food? and lobster use to be dirt cheap in the north east...lasagna is the only casserole i will make...much to the dismay of the hubby...he grew up southern baptist and thinks casseroles are wonderful...

Bad cooking? BAD COOKING???? Who're you calling a bad cook, Missy?: :slap2: Again, don't knock what you haven't tried.