PDA

View Full Version : monkfish the poor man's lobster?

strollingbonez
07-30-2013, 10:30 AM
monkfish use to be a trash fish....no one cared for it...but it was known as the poor man's lobster.....they had it at the local grocery yesterday...i got a lb of it....on sale...for 10 bucks...reduced from 16 bucks...hello the flipping lobster was 15 lbs a lb...i am always amazed when a previously cheap food becomes 'discovered'

Sytha
07-30-2013, 12:18 PM
monkfish started showing up about 30 years ago bones, where have you been?

was this your first try or have you had it before?

strollingbonez
07-30-2013, 12:37 PM
30 yrs ago it was a trash fish...i have had it before and for a long time...its just hard to get up here...i just find it amazing how food fads go....like taplica or whatever...that is truly a trash fish..grown in nasty trash cans

Sytha
07-30-2013, 02:47 PM
lol

ox tails, flank and hanger steaks used to be trash bits too. Now they are expensive cuts. Oysters, lobster and crab were also trash.

Common
07-30-2013, 07:17 PM
lol

ox tails, flank and hanger steaks used to be trash bits too. Now they are expensive cuts. Oysters, lobster and crab were also trash.

I dont remember oysters, crab and lobster ever being trash. I do know veal, pork and beef neckbones used to be free at the butcher, now if you can find them theyre 7.00 a lb

Dr. Who
07-30-2013, 08:10 PM
I dont remember oysters, crab and lobster ever being trash. I do know veal, pork and beef neckbones used to be free at the butcher, now if you can find them theyre 7.00 a lb
Chicken wings used to be cheap too. Now the only things that are cheap are snouts, eyeballs and chicken feet.

Common
07-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Monk fish filet and cooked curls and does mimic lobster meat, it doesnt taste too bad I had it once before I saw it live and whole. If you ever saw a monkfish fresh out of the water, you wouldnt eat it.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/photos/13-of-the-ugliest-animals-on-the-planet/monkfish

Peter1469
07-30-2013, 08:42 PM
I don't really eat much fish anymore, but I do like monk fish. I am not that big into lobster, but that may just be a freshness issue.

Max Rockatansky
07-30-2013, 08:57 PM
Catfish used to be thought of as garbage fish, but now it's a common filet available in the seafood freezer.

Common
07-31-2013, 02:41 AM
Catfish used to be thought of as garbage fish, but now it's a common filet available in the seafood freezer.

yep very true

RosieS
07-31-2013, 04:03 AM
They are going to rename carp "silverfin" and they will also be selling lionfish filets. Hopefully the lionfish will sell well - it is invasive and has poisonous spines.

Regards from Rosie

strollingbonez
07-31-2013, 06:33 AM
i have seen a whole monkfish....and i still ate it