PDA

View Full Version : What if meat weren't actually from an animal?

Adelaide
08-07-2013, 07:48 AM
Artificially grown meat, created in a lab without directly harming any animals, is expected to be on sale within the next 20 years. But the debate among vegetarians and vegans about the freaky frankenburgers was kicked off in earnest this week as the first proto-type “in vitro” hamburger was eaten in London on Monday (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/05/the-330-000-fake-burger.html).

Bowie, 29, who lives in Brixton, South London, is one of millions of non-meat eaters standing at a crossroads: if no animals were hurt, would you eat this “meat”?

The debate is raging on vegetarian forums (http://www.veggieboards.com/t/142374/today-is-the-day-what-do-you-think-about-cultured-beef) and on Reddit (http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1jrupo/vegans_of_reddit_would_meat_grown_in_a_lab_change/). “I hope that lab meat someday catches on and can help end animal suffering,” wrote one user by the name of RUTHWHIPKEY. “However, I would probably gag.” Another user, calling himself Leo 99, would have no such qualms: “I’m a vegetarian because of cruelty of factory farming and because of the terrible environmental impact it causes, so yes, I would eat the meat."

Can Vegetarians Eat In-Vitro Meat? - The Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/07/can-vegetarians-eat-in-vitro-meat-the-debate-rages.html)

Does anyone think that vegetarians and vegans could eat this meat without violating their ethics and assuming the Frankenstein meat won't kill them? (last part a bit of an exaggeration)

Common
08-07-2013, 09:03 AM
I read an article about this earlier, it said it tastes like meat but not the best taste and its dry not juicy at all. Personally Ill pass.

Peter1469
08-07-2013, 04:14 PM
I wouldn't see why it would offend moral reasons to not eat meat.

I personally don't want to be a guinea pig.

Dr. Who
08-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Can Vegetarians Eat In-Vitro Meat? - The Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/07/can-vegetarians-eat-in-vitro-meat-the-debate-rages.html)

Does anyone think that vegetarians and vegans could eat this meat without violating their ethics and assuming the Frankenstein meat won't kill them? (last part a bit of an exaggeration)

Saw a piece on that last night on TV. Interesting. I expect with some kitchen magic it could be made tasty and not dry or at the very least could be made into hot dogs.

Peter1469
08-07-2013, 04:42 PM
I don't think that I would eat it.

Dr. Who
08-07-2013, 05:27 PM
I don't think that I would eat it.I don't expect it to become particularly popular in the west for some time - likely not in our lifetimes. For those raised on the stuff, they wouldn't have any basis for comparison.

Peter1469
08-07-2013, 07:15 PM
That is true.

Captain Obvious
08-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Probably better for you than what McTacoKing is serving.

Common
08-07-2013, 07:44 PM
I don't think that I would eat it.

Im with ya pete

Common
08-07-2013, 07:45 PM

I dont eat that either :)

jillian
08-07-2013, 07:45 PM

i think most vegetarians do it as a health issue. so the origin wouldn't necessarily matter, perhaps. but vegans? for them it's largely about their view of ethics, so maybe.

red meat still isn't particularly good for you. and i can't imagine that the non-animal meat would taste good.

Dr. Who
08-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Probably better for you than what McTacoKing is serving.Well it would be certainly free of excessive fat and any biohazards.

Peter1469
08-07-2013, 09:07 PM

But not better than a good piece of grass fed beef without any of the various types of interventions.

Dr. Who
08-07-2013, 09:15 PM
But not better than a good piece of grass fed beef without any of the various types of interventions.Well it's a combination of wanting to make the manufacturing of meat more economical and removing the cruelty.

Chloe
08-07-2013, 09:56 PM
I don't know really what to think about this, it's interesting. I'm a vegetarian because I think that the meat industry is cruel and that the mass production of animals for eating and farming is wasteful and damages the environment. Ever since i was pretty much old enough to understand that animals were being killed for it i lost interest and never wanted meat. I don't even know what most meat tastes like. If they are able to make something in a lab that that doesn't kill animals, doesn't damage the environment, tastes good, and is good for my body then I don't see why I wouldn't at least try the food to see if I like it.

roadmaster
08-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Well it's a combination of wanting to make the manufacturing of meat more economical and removing the cruelty. Why do you think it's cruel? They were put here for us to eat, just like fish or anything else.

Dr. Who
08-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Why do you think it's cruel? They were put here for us to eat, just like fish or anything else.Most domestic animals raised for food live a miserable existence, without any freedom to enjoy their short lives. It is not a commentary on simply eating meat, it is the horrific conditions that these poor animals live in in the factory farms.

roadmaster
08-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Most domestic animals raised for food live a miserable existence, without any freedom to enjoy their short lives. It is not a commentary on simply eating meat, it is the horrific conditions that these poor animals live in in the factory farms. In factory farms maybe but not small farms. We always treated ours with respect.

Chloe
08-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Why do you think it's cruel? They were put here for us to eat, just like fish or anything else.

Isn't that kindof an arrogant thing to say or think? Wouldn't it be like saying that humans were put here for bacteria to feed on or something like that? There's much to be said about the fact that humans can't live without other animals but other animals can certainly live without humans.

roadmaster
08-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Isn't that kindof an arrogant thing to say or think? Wouldn't it be like saying that humans were put here for bacteria to feed on or something like that? There's much to be said about the fact that humans can't live without other animals but other animals can certainly live without humans. It was a way of life for southerners like it or not. One cow could feed many families. A human is not an animal. The arrogance is trying to tell us how to live.

Chloe
08-07-2013, 10:47 PM
It was a way of life for southerners like it or not. One cow could feed many families. A human is not an animal. The arrogance is trying to tell us how to live.

Humans are a species of mammal though, so we are animals. I don't think anybody is trying to tell you how to live I think it's more about teaching people how they can live better, kinder, and more responsible to all life and not just ours.

Dr. Who
08-07-2013, 10:53 PM
In factory farms maybe but not small farms. We always treated ours with respect.That's the problem. Most of the meat that we eat comes not from what most of us think of as farms, but from animal growing facilities that treat the animals like objects and literally force feed them until they reach the desired size for slaughter.

roadmaster
08-07-2013, 11:07 PM
Humans are a species of mammal though, so we are animals. I don't think anybody is trying to tell you how to live I think it's more about teaching people how they can live better, kinder, and more responsible to all life and not just ours.My point here is that once you remove this line, man is not special in any sense and there is no reason we shouldn't live like the rest of the animals on the planet: "survival of the fittest." Hitler understood this. . .and practiced it!

Chloe
08-07-2013, 11:24 PM
My point here is that once you remove this line, man is not special in any sense and there is no reason we shouldn't live like the rest of the animals on the planet: "survival of the fittest." Hitler understood this. . .and practiced it!

Religious beliefs aside for a moment let me ask you a question please...do human beings serve any beneficial purposes to life on this planet including the health of the planet itself? If so what/how?

Chloe
08-07-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm sorry Adelaide and others I'm kindof derailing this topic. roadmaster you don't have to answer my question.

roadmaster
08-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Religious beliefs aside for a moment let me ask you a question please...do human beings serve any beneficial purposes to life on this planet including the health of the planet itself? If so what/how? Yes we are the ones He put over animals to treat them with respect but even Jesus did eat fish. Yes we all have a purpose and the ones who follow Him are his servants. It even says in the Bible a lion will sleep with a lamb. Animals are here for a purpose too just like plants. I never put aside my beliefs.

Chloe
08-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Yes we are the ones He put over animals to treat them with respect but even Jesus did eat fish. Yes we all have a purpose and the ones who follow Him are his servants. It even says in the Bible a lion will sleep with a lamb. Animals are here for a purpose too just like plants. I never put aside my beliefs.

I didn't think it would be so difficult to temporarily think about something in a different way but apparently I was wrong.

Agravan
08-08-2013, 12:01 AM
I didn't think it would be so difficult to temporarily think about something in a different way but apparently I was wrong.
Why can't you try thinking about it our way then?

Peter1469
08-08-2013, 05:07 AM
Well it's a combination of wanting to make the manufacturing of meat more economical and removing the cruelty.

Grass fed beef isn't cruel. The money part doesn't bother me.

Peter1469
08-08-2013, 05:13 AM
Religious beliefs aside for a moment let me ask you a question please...do human beings serve any beneficial purposes to life on this planet including the health of the planet itself? If so what/how?

Humans are not parasites- we serve a purpose here on earth. I don't think that you can remove religion/spirituality from it.

Max Rockatansky
08-08-2013, 05:59 AM
I don't expect it to become particularly popular in the west for some time - likely not in our lifetimes. For those raised on the stuff, they wouldn't have any basis for comparison.

It depends on the price and the taste. Eating vat grown meat isn't a problem. I've eaten some questionable meat products in foreign countries. It all takes like chicken. :)

Max Rockatansky
08-08-2013, 06:11 AM
Humans are not parasites- we serve a purpose here on earth. I don't think that you can remove religion/spirituality from it.

Not parasites? A fungus, maybe. :D

If we remove the spirituality aspect, what does the human race do for the other lifeforms on the planet or the planet itself? We destroy or pollute the other lifeforms but our effect on the planet is negligible.

Mankind has always been very egocentric. We used to think the entire Universe revolved around us. The fact is, we're not only a minuscule part of this planet but so fragile that an impact event or super volcano can wipe us out. We occupy only a very small part of this planet. As the link below notes, if the Earth were the size of an apple, the atmosphere would only be as thick as the skin:

http://earth.rice.edu/mtpe/atmo/atmosphere/topics/1_atmomemb.html

The Earth has been compared to a single cell, and the atmosphere is the cell's membrane. The atmosphere serves to protect the delicate functions of life from the harsh radiation of the Sun. It filters out the harmful ultraviolet rays, while allowing visible light to shine through and nourish the Earth's vegetation. Most people look to the sky and are amazed by the wide open space that seems to go on forever. In reality, however, the atmosphere is very small compared to the rest of the planet. The Earth itself is nearly 13,000 km in diameter, but the atmosphere rises only a few tens of kilometers above the surface. If you were to compare the Earth to an ordinary apple, the atmosphere would be only as thick as the apple's skin.

http://img.docstoccdn.com/thumb/orig/99375373.png

Chloe
08-08-2013, 08:37 AM
Why can't you try thinking about it our way then?

Thinking about it your way is more of the norm than how I am thinking about it. All I'm asking is to kind of like suspend the current way of thinking and see humans and the earth for what if is and how the two interact. Other than believing that we are an important part of the earth because of religious reasons we don't contribute much of anything to life or the health of the planet. There is no way that we could survive as a species without plants and other animals, but yet plants and animals could and have survived very well without humans. What purpose do we serve to the overall circle of life basically other than to serve ourselves at the expense of all other life?

Agravan
08-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Thinking about it your way is more of the norm than how I am thinking about it. All I'm asking is to kind of like suspend the current way of thinking and see humans and the earth for what if is and how the two interact. Other than believing that we are an important part of the earth because of religious reasons we don't contribute much of anything to life or the health of the planet. There is no way that we could survive as a species with plants and other animals, but yet plants and animals could and have survived very well without humans. What purpose do we serve to the overall circle of life basically other than to serve ourselves at the expense of all other life?

Nonsense. Humans and animals are all part of the food chain.

"There is no way that we could survive as a species with plants and other animals, but yet plants and animals could and have survived very well without humans."

There is that naivete' and liberal propaganda again. We have been here for thousands of years. We did not start where we are. We were hunted and eaten, just like everything else. We just became better at hunting and avoiding getting eaten. We have scratched and clawed ourselves to the top rung of the food ladder. We are where God wants us to be. We have every right, by intelligence and birthright to be on top and to rule the planet. If you hate that fact, then you can always opt-out, but don't expect everyone to change their views based on your silly ideas of "fairness".
It has been said before: We didn't scratch and claw our way to the top of the food ladder to eat plants.

Chloe
08-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Nonsense. Humans and animals are all part of the food chain.

"There is no way that we could survive as a species with plants and other animals, but yet plants and animals could and have survived very well without humans."

There is that naivete' and liberal propaganda again. We have been here for thousands of years. We did not start where we are. We were hunted and eaten, just like everything else. We just became better at hunting and avoiding getting eaten. We have scratched and clawed ourselves to the top rung of the food ladder. We are where God wants us to be. We have every right, by intelligence and birthright to be on top and to rule the planet. If you hate that fact, then you can always opt-out, but don't expect everyone to change their views based on your silly ideas of "fairness".
It has been said before: We didn't scratch and claw our way to the top of the food ladder to eat plants.

I'm sorry but you are missing my point. We are not the apex predators that we think we are and we are not part of the food chain in our current state (unless we go live in the woods or something). Our birthright gives us nothing over nature, that's arrogance, and our intelligence only satisfies ourselves in most cases. Human being cannot survive on this planet without other forms of life. We do not pollinate, we do not hunt as actual predators do, we do not maintain or improve ecosystems like most other animals do, we do not live off the land and use resources without hurting those very things, and we do not balance ecosystems by our presence and lifestyle. However, on the flip side, most if not all other animals would be fine and would not suffer or want if humans did not exist. I'm not human bashing of anything I'm simply stating the fact that we are not as important to life on earth as we think we are.

roadmaster
08-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Humans are the most important on this earth.

Chloe
08-08-2013, 10:03 AM

How, in what way?

roadmaster
08-08-2013, 10:28 AM
How, in what way? My Master.

Chloe
08-08-2013, 10:34 AM
My Master.

I think we are obviously on two different levels here

Adelaide
08-08-2013, 12:35 PM
I don't know really what to think about this, it's interesting. I'm a vegetarian because I think that the meat industry is cruel and that the mass production of animals for eating and farming is wasteful and damages the environment. Ever since i was pretty much old enough to understand that animals were being killed for it i lost interest and never wanted meat. I don't even know what most meat tastes like. If they are able to make something in a lab that that doesn't kill animals, doesn't damage the environment, tastes good, and is good for my body then I don't see why I wouldn't at least try the food to see if I like it.

Yeah, if I were vegetarian I think that would be my stance. I don't eat most meats just out of preference, but I can totally sympathize with your reasons for being vegetarian.

Max Rockatansky
08-09-2013, 07:33 AM

Mankind was given dominion over the Earth. That's not license to rape and pillage it. If a father gives a son a car, it's expected that the kid would take good care of it, use it wisely and not start cannibalizing it to buy a new stereo and a bag of weed.

Dominion is a place of importance, but I don't believe God intended mankind to be the "most important" anymore than the first born is often given higher responsibilities over the younger children means they are "most important".