PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever use oven bags?

oceanloverOH
08-09-2013, 04:37 PM
I have a few recipes for all-in-one casserole-type dinners using oven bags (I didn't write any of the recipes; got them online). They're quick and easy after a busy day, and usually very good. Here's a tasty one I'm making tonight:

CREAMY CHICKEN AND VEGETABLES OVEN BAG CASSEROLE

1 large Reynolds Oven Bag
2 Tbsp flour
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
1 Tbsp dried basil, divided
1 tsp seasoned salt, divided
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 package frozen mixed vegetables (green beans, green peas, corn and carrots)
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4 to 6 oz. each)
Hot cooked biscuits, rice or noodles (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Shake flour in Reynolds Oven Bag; place in 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Add soup, 2 tsp basil, ½ tsp seasoned salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Squeeze bag to blend in flour. Add vegetables; turn bag to mix ingredients. Arrange vegetable mixture evenly on both sides of bag. Sprinkle chicken with remaining basil and seasoned salt. Center chicken in a single layer between vegetable mixture on the sides.

Close oven bag with nylon tie; cut six 1/2-inch slits in top. Tuck ends of bag in pan.

Bake 40 to 45 minutes until meat thermometer inserted in chicken reads 170°F. Stir vegetables and sauce before serving. Serve with biscuits, rice or noodles, if desired.

Dr. Who
08-09-2013, 05:33 PM
I have an aversion to cooking anything in any form of plastic. They say it is safe today. Ten years from now they will advise it is hugely carcinogenic. It happens all the time. Better safe than sorry.

oceanloverOH
08-09-2013, 05:39 PM
But Who, EVERYTHING gives you cancer.....if you believe everything you read. Myself, I think cancer is genetic....if you're predisposed to get it, you're gonna get it no matter what you do.

Dr. Who
08-09-2013, 05:49 PM
But Who, EVERYTHING gives you cancer.....if you believe everything you read. Myself, I think cancer is genetic....if you're predisposed to get it, you're gonna get it no matter what you do.
True, but plastic is full of really nasty chemicals. I figure I get enough chemicals from everything else in life, so I'd rather avoid adding extra chemicals if I can avoid it. A well sealed glass, ceramic, clay or cast iron pot suits me just fine. All you are doing is conserving the moisture. I know the plastic saves a bit on the cleanup, but just the same, I'd rather not. I have a couple of Le Creuset pots that work very well for most things smaller than a turkey.

roadmaster
08-09-2013, 06:53 PM
Anybody ever use oven bags? Maybe three times a year. I don't think it's going to kill anyone.

Common
08-09-2013, 06:56 PM
I used oven bags once, to cook a turkey I didnt like the results, the texture was more steamed than roasted.

oceanloverOH
08-09-2013, 09:06 PM
I used oven bags once, to cook a turkey I didnt like the results, the texture was more steamed than roasted.

I don't like them for anything that should be roasted, like a ham, turkey, or skin-on chicken. But they make a pretty good casserole-type dish.

roadmaster
08-09-2013, 09:25 PM
I don't like them for anything that should be roasted, like a ham, turkey, or skin-on chicken. But they make a pretty good casserole-type dish. I used it on a chicken one time but prefer to use the rotisserie. May try it with casseroles.

Captain Obvious
08-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Never used them. Or condoms for that matter. Coincidence?