PDA

View Full Version : Grilling Red Snapper

oceanloverOH
08-10-2013, 09:58 PM
Got some fresh red snapper fillets at the local fish market today. The last time I had snapper was in New Orleans, and it had a really good spicy, tomatoey taste so I've been researching marinades for it before we grill it tomorrow. Here's one that sounded pretty good to me:

Marinated Grilled Snapper

Prep time: 10 minutes
Marinating time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Serves about 2-3

1 lb snapper fillet

Marinade
¼ cup V-8 juice
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp olive oil
1½ Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1½ tsp dried parsley flakes
1½ tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp ground black pepper

Combine all marinade ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Add marinade and fish to large ziplock baggie, seal, and turn several times to coat. Refrigerate 1 hours, turning baggie a couple of times to ensure fish soaks up marinade evenly. Don't marinate snapper too long, it could turn mushy. Discard marinade.

Preheat grill to medium-high heat (rack should be about 4" from coals).

Use a grill basket that has been lightly sprayed with PAM so the fish doesn't stick and doesn't fall apart when turning (the kind with a removable handle is best). Place fish in prepared basket on the grill. Close basket; lower grill cover and cook over medium-high heat about 4-5 minutes per side, flipping basket halfway through cooking time. Fish should flake easily with a fork when done. If fish is skin-on, easily peel the skin off after cooking, then serve.

fyrenza
08-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Since, as a female, I don't have to worry about Having The Ballz To Say This :

That OP Title is vaguely erotic ...

please don't ban me! lol

oceanloverOH
08-10-2013, 11:26 PM
Since, as a female, I don't have to worry about Having The Ballz To Say This :

That OP Title is vaguely erotic ...
please don't ban me! lol

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA....that's not banworthy, fyrenza....it's just funny as hell!

Dr. Who
08-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Got some fresh red snapper fillets at the local fish market today. The last time I had snapper was in New Orleans, and it had a really good spicy, tomatoey taste so I've been researching marinades for it before we grill it tomorrow. Here's one that sounded pretty good to me:

Marinated Grilled Snapper

Prep time: 10 minutes
Marinating time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Total: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Serves about 2-3

1 lb snapper fillet

Marinade
¼ cup V-8 juice
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp olive oil
1½ Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1½ tsp dried parsley flakes
1½ tsp Cajun seasoning
1 tsp ground black pepper

Combine all marinade ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Add marinade and fish to large ziplock baggie, seal, and turn several times to coat. Refrigerate 1 hours, turning baggie a couple of times to ensure fish soaks up marinade evenly. Don't marinate snapper too long, it could turn mushy. Discard marinade.

Preheat grill to medium-high heat (rack should be about 4" from coals).

Use a grill basket that has been lightly sprayed with PAM so the fish doesn't stick and doesn't fall apart when turning (the kind with a removable handle is best). Place fish in prepared basket on the grill. Close basket; lower grill cover and cook over medium-high heat about 4-5 minutes per side, flipping basket halfway through cooking time. Fish should flake easily with a fork when done. If fish is skin-on, easily peel the skin off after cooking, then serve.

The best snapper I ever ate was in the Caribbean. We bought it directly from a fisherman. It must have been a 7-10 pound snapper. We had rented a villa and were doing our own cooking. Being on vacation, we didn't have much in the way of spices, but that completely fresh snapper cut into steaks, and fried in a combination of margarine and coconut oil with salt, pepper and onions was the most delicious fish I had ever eaten in my life. To this day it is still the best fish I have ever eaten.

oceanloverOH
08-11-2013, 01:02 AM
The best snapper I ever ate was in the Caribbean. We bought it directly from a fisherman. It must have been a 7-10 pound snapper. We had rented a villa and were doing our own cooking. Being on vacation, we didn't have much in the way of spices, but that completely fresh snapper cut into steaks, and fried in a combination of margarine and coconut oil with salt, pepper and onions was the most delicious fish I had ever eaten in my life. To this day it is still the best fish I have ever eaten.

Ahhhh....that sounds soooooo good! I only wish I could get fish THAT fresh....but living in Ohio, fish has to be imported from everywhere, so most of the time it arrives frozen and they thaw it at the fish market and you lose half the flavor. And you don't want to eat ANYTHING that comes out of Lake Erie (I think most of those fish have two heads or something anyway).....

Common
08-11-2013, 05:52 AM
I take snapper filets and rub them down with potlatch seasoning and pan grill them in a spoonful of olive oil. They come delicious.

Peter1469
08-11-2013, 05:57 AM
The best fish!

Captain Obvious
08-11-2013, 07:36 AM
[insert punchline here]