PDA

View Full Version : Stop and frisk’ is not racial profiling

Common
08-19-2013, 02:48 AM
New York is the safest big city in the nation (http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/html/pr/pr_2010_nyc_safest_big_city.shtml), and our crime reductions have been steeper than any other big city’s. For instance, if New York City had the murder rate of Washington, D.C., 761 more New Yorkers would have been killed last year. If our murder rate had mirrored the District’s over the course of my time as mayor, 21,651 more people would have been killed. That’s more than Georgetown University’s student body, faculty and administrative staff. Based on crime data, we know that more than 90 percent (http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/analysis_and_planning/murder_in_nyc_2012.pdf) of those 21,651 individuals would have been black and Hispanic. Some of them would have been children.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/michael-bloomberg-stop-and-frisk-keeps-new-york-safe/2013/08/18/8d4cd8c4-06cf-11e3-9259-e2aafe5a5f84_story.html?tid=pm_pop

Max Rockatansky
08-19-2013, 05:35 AM
Racist or not, "Stop and Frisk" violates civil liberties. Bloomberg's article uses the number of lives saved as justification for these violations of Constitutional rights. If that's the path we want, then why not ban all guns and enforce a sundown to sunup curfew throughout the country? That would certainly save thousands of lives.

Peter1469
08-19-2013, 02:48 PM
If it is done correctly, civil rights are not violated. The judge who ruled in the case even said that only a small percentage of these instances were questionable and the vast majority were legitimate.

lynn
08-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Well here in Arizona, if you are driving between the hours of midnight and 5 am they can pull you over when you have done nothing wrong to check you out.

Max Rockatansky
08-19-2013, 05:39 PM
Well here in Arizona, if you are driving between the hours of midnight and 5 am they can pull you over when you have done nothing wrong to check you out.

Fucking communists!

Mister D
08-19-2013, 07:23 PM
If it is done correctly, civil rights are not violated. The judge who ruled in the case even said that only a small percentage of these instances were questionable and the vast majority were legitimate.

Far fewer people would be talking about civil rights if this policy didn't have a disproportionate effect on blacks as browns. The real problem for them is that the police aren't stopping enough white guys and Koreans.

Peter1469
08-19-2013, 07:50 PM
Should police be deployed evenly across a locality? Or should they focus on high crime areas?

Mister D
08-19-2013, 08:57 PM
Should police be deployed evenly across a locality? Or should they focus on high crime areas?

The latter of course. Those areas, however, tend to be...

Max Rockatansky
08-20-2013, 07:43 AM
The latter of course. Those areas, however, tend to be...

.....in lower economic residential areas.

Max Rockatansky
08-20-2013, 07:48 AM
http://www.arichall.com/academic/papers/hs8373-paper.pdf

One thing that this compilation study has shown is that there are conflicting views as tothe motivations of crime and the influences on criminal behavior. Economic deprivation or
poverty can motivate individuals to commit crime or create the circumstances that serve as a
breeding ground for crime, especially property crime. Several theories have been used in this
writing to tie-in to the socio-economics of crime. Nevertheless, there are many who are poor but
still choose to live a life of high moral standards and to adhere to societal norms. As such,
poverty can not be a lone explanatory variable for crime. Solutions for reducing crime rates
based on economic causation are clearly fraught with problems. More social programs,
subsidies, government housing, funded education, or community service programs only create
more dependency on outside help. Politically, such programs are not widely acceptable because
someone has to pay for those programs. Ultimately, if it were accepted that economic
conditions are a causal factor for crime, then it will invariably get worse, as more people the
population and a higher proportion of the population are in the lower economic class. All
indications in our society are that poverty will increase and the proportion of people who make a
significant income will decline. Factors include the immigrating poor, inflation, taxation
policies, jobs going overseas, an increase in cost of living, and a reduction in consumer spending.
The increase in poverty will no doubt lead to continued increases in property crimes, theft, and
robbery¥

Mister D
08-20-2013, 07:51 AM
.....in lower economic residential areas.

Dark ones though. :afro:

Max Rockatansky
08-20-2013, 07:52 AM
Dark ones though. :afro:

Like Irish and Italians?

Mister D
08-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Like Irish and Italians?

Which Irish and Italian neighborhoods are crime ridden? I can't think of any and my state if full of micks and dagos.

Common
08-21-2013, 05:37 AM
The police are either doing too much or blamed for not doing enough. No matter what they will be the focus of disdain.

Chris
08-21-2013, 07:22 AM
Well, of course, it's the old security vs liberty argument.

We discussed before and while in principle I agree it might violate some civil liberty I can understand how in practice, given limited resources, especially in recession recovery, selective stop and frisk is more efficient than general stop and frisk.

Max Rockatansky
08-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Well, of course, it's the old security vs liberty argument.

We discussed before and while in principle I agree it might violate some civil liberty I can understand how in practice, given limited resources, especially in recession recovery, selective stop and frisk is more efficient than general stop and frisk.

If that "selective" stop and frisk is based on probable cause, I agree. If it's based on being the wrong color for the neighborhood, I do not.

The Sage of Main Street
08-21-2013, 01:47 PM
What is wrong with racial profiling? Only the majority should make laws. All this tyranny over the majority is the result of our anti-democratic Constitution. Quit being sissy slaves to authority! Judges can only judge cases, not laws.

The Sage of Main Street
08-21-2013, 01:53 PM
If that "selective" stop and frisk is based on probable cause, I agree. If it's based on being the wrong color for the neighborhood, I do not.

Do you want a halo for your illusions of moral superiority? If you keep that attitude when faced with a feral-race criminal, you'll get your halo in Hug a Thug heaven. Or should I say to those with such a girlyman lack of intelligent prejudice, "A Punk Is a Hunk" heaven?

Chris
08-21-2013, 02:08 PM

I think it's based on probability, statistics.

oceanloverOH
08-21-2013, 02:14 PM
Let's keep the racial slurs out of the discussion, please.

The Sage of Main Street
08-24-2013, 04:27 PM

If you won't protect your neighborhood from the feral races, you won't protect your country from the feral Muslims. Appeasers, cowards, and traitors will be dealt with eventually.