PDA

View Full Version : Reputation Feature Question

Chris
08-21-2013, 08:24 AM
I went to give a rep to someone just now and got this when I clicked the rep star button:

http://i.snag.gy/ZZvOf.jpg

Trying to remember, I'm stingy giving reps and doubt I gave more than one, stretch two out in 24 hours.

My question is simple, what's the limit?

Just asking because if it's low, 1, 2, I would want to be more judicious repping people.

ADMIN

Adelaide
08-21-2013, 09:36 AM
It was lowered to 10 per day, if I'm remembering correctly.

Chris
08-21-2013, 10:11 AM
OK, thanks, but it might be broken. I've not given that many reps in 24 hours. Might it be combined with thanks? Maybe ADMIN needs to look at it.

Adelaide
08-21-2013, 10:15 AM
OK, thanks, but it might be broken. I've not given that many reps in 24 hours. Might it be combined with thanks? Maybe @ADMIN (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1) needs to look at it.

Yeah, definitely hail him. I haven't experienced any problems but maybe others are?

Ravi
08-21-2013, 10:23 AM
I can't find the neg rep button :(

Adelaide
08-21-2013, 10:40 AM

That was removed months and months ago after being abused.

oceanloverOH
08-21-2013, 10:44 AM

As Adelaide said, the negative rep function was disabled. There is written provision for that in our guidelines on Reputation.

Chris
08-21-2013, 10:47 AM
Yeah, definitely hail him. I haven't experienced any problems but maybe others are?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRPtsJ1487w

oceanloverOH
08-21-2013, 11:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRPtsJ1487w

You nut!!!!! You made me laugh out loud!

Chris
08-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Well, I couldn't very well put an apple on his desk!

Peter1469
08-21-2013, 03:38 PM
I haven't had problems with the rep button, but I have never gotten near 10 in a 24 hour period.

Chris
08-21-2013, 03:45 PM
Working now. I swear I only gave out about 1 in last 24 hours. I don't know. Maybe only members are restricted?

Adelaide
08-21-2013, 05:11 PM
Working now. I swear I only gave out about 1 in last 24 hours. I don't know. Maybe only members are restricted?

No - definitely not. It should be equal across the board. Although maybe it's possible a usergroup was missed but other people would have spoken up by now if they were having trouble, I think.

Dr. Who
08-21-2013, 05:17 PM
Working now. I swear I only gave out about 1 in last 24 hours. I don't know. Maybe only members are restricted?Probably just a glitch, especially if it has resolved itself.

Chris
08-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Perhaps. It was just surprising. Like I said I'm stingy with them, maybe give out one a week.

Chris
08-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Nope, back on restriction, cannot rep again. Gave out only one rep since my "Working now" post @ 3:45 pm today.

Dr. Who
08-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Nope, back on restriction, cannot rep again. Gave out only one rep since my "Working now" post @ 3:45 pm today.Still if it is on again, off again, still sounds like some kind of glitch, and not a rule based restriction. Perhaps a slow connection is confusing the VB software or something odd like that?

Peter1469
08-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Clear your cache and try again. Maybe even reboot.

Dr. Who
08-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Clear your cache and try again. Maybe even reboot.Reboot was my next favorite go to.

Chris
08-21-2013, 06:17 PM
I did reboot earlier so that may be it. Something with cookies.

Don't think that's it. Just tried on my cellphone and got same warning too many in 24 hours.

Chris
08-22-2013, 08:20 AM
Continuing saga. Yesterday 4:09 PM I gave a rep, then couldn't give more (same message as OP). This morning, 8:10 AM, what, 16 hours later, I was able to give another rep. After which, no more.

Chris
08-22-2013, 11:29 AM
11:20 PM. Able to rep once, twice.

Ravi
08-22-2013, 11:32 AM
http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/forum/vbulletin-legacy-versions-products/legacy-vbulletin-versions/vbulletin-3-6-questions-problems-and-troubleshooting/288700-reputation-daily-limit

Chris
08-22-2013, 11:48 AM
Right, that's the way it's expected to work, though so far as I know we've never had a limit.

I've given maybe 4 in the last and most of that experimenting.

ADMIN
08-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Chris Thanks are included in the number of reputations given per 24 hours, which is currently set to ten. The limit is the same for all user groups, and can be changed should users desire it.

Chris
08-23-2013, 09:10 AM
Chris Thanks are included in the number of reputations given per 24 hours, which is currently set to ten. The limit is the same for all user groups, and can be changed should users desire it.

Ahah! That explains it. I give thanks a lot. Thanks.

Chloe
08-23-2013, 08:23 PM
It makes me wonder if if they brought back the negative reputation option maybe it could be the same way so that it doesn't get abused? So maybe like a limit of 2 or 3 negative reps per day per person or something? At least that way you could negative rep a post but you'd have to be picky about it since you would only be able to do it maybe one more time within that 24 hours. It would get rid of that abuse part of it I think. or is it even worth it? I don't know.

Dr. Who
08-23-2013, 08:55 PM
It makes me wonder if if they brought back the negative reputation option maybe it could be the same way so that it doesn't get abused? So maybe like a limit of 2 or 3 negative reps per day per person or something? At least that way you could negative rep a post but you'd have to be picky about it since you would only be able to do it maybe one more time within that 24 hours. It would get rid of that abuse part of it I think. or is it even worth it? I don't know.
I personally don't like the idea of negative rep. Some partisans would use it simply to attack opinions they don't like, rather than people who simply post in bad faith.

Chloe
08-23-2013, 08:57 PM
I personally don't like the idea of negative rep. Some partisans would use it simply to attack opinions they don't like, rather than people who simply post in bad faith.

Fair enough. I just thought i'd bring it up.

oceanloverOH
08-23-2013, 09:49 PM

Negative rep just accentuates and promotes negativity. I'm glad it was disabled.

Chloe
08-23-2013, 09:52 PM
Negative rep just accentuates and promotes negativity. I'm glad it was disabled.

Ok I understand. I was just thinking that if there was a limit then it could be more fair but I was just thinking out loud I guess

oceanloverOH
08-23-2013, 11:19 PM
Ok I understand. I was just thinking that if there was a limit then it could be more fair but I was just thinking out loud I guess

And that's always a good thing....your opinions are very valuable, and they ARE considered, whether you know that or not! :thumbsup20:

countryboy
08-24-2013, 02:00 AM
And that's always a good thing....your opinions are very valuable, and they ARE considered, whether you know that or not! :thumbsup20:
Puh-leeeeeeze. Are you serious? Are you talkin' 'bout the same Chloe I know? Shirley not. :icon_joker:

Just kidding Chloe, ya know we love ya. :D

Chris
08-24-2013, 07:30 AM
Drothers I'd drop the rep and add a Groan button opposite Thanks. Groan would be fun.

Admin and I looked at it and a good one, supported, etc, costs $. If more of you would click Contribute (http://thepoliticalforums.com/contribute.php) and chip in a few $....

GrassrootsConservative
09-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Hey was a fix ever discovered for this? I haven't given out any rep in a long time and I can't give any out. Says I have given out too many in the last 24 hours and I don't think I've repped anyone in a week.

Venus
09-04-2013, 12:20 PM
Hey was a fix ever discovered for this? I haven't given out any rep in a long time and I can't give any out. Says I have given out too many in the last 24 hours and I don't think I've repped anyone in a week.

On my computers I don't have the rep button, on my kindle I do but not the thanks button.

Adelaide
09-04-2013, 12:33 PM
ADMIN

He'll have to look at this.

Captain Obvious
09-04-2013, 12:39 PM
Problem with repping is that it's cumulative which is why it can be abused.

Thanks - every post should have a "thanks" option and a "fuck you" option that's not cumulative and doesn't impact any kind of score or reputation.

Venus
09-04-2013, 12:44 PM

Thanks - every post should have a "thanks" option and a "fuck you" option that's not cumulative and doesn't impact any kind of score or reputation.

I like the idea of a fuck you button.

I know a few of our members don't like the words fuck you so maybe if we change the fuck you to say you suck that would work for me as well.

countryboy
09-04-2013, 12:46 PM

I know a few of our members don't like the words fuck you so maybe if we change the fuck you to say you suck that would work for me as well.
It would only be abused. I think it's fine just the way it is.

oceanloverOH
09-04-2013, 12:47 PM
It seems that no matter what features we have, SOMEBODY finds a way to abuse it/get around it/game it. ~sigh~

Captain Obvious
09-04-2013, 12:47 PM

Brewing forum I sometimes frequent uses a "Buy 'em a beer" and a "cockpunch" option.

Captain Obvious
09-04-2013, 12:48 PM
It seems that no matter what features we have, SOMEBODY finds a way to abuse it/get around it/game it. ~sigh~

Right - same with rules. There will always be that subset of people who will be the biggest offender of rules and the biggest whiner when they see other people not obeying them.

lose-lose

Venus
09-04-2013, 12:51 PM
It would only be abused. I think it's fine just the way it is.

How about a No Thanks button?

Venus
09-04-2013, 12:52 PM

Someone always will, it's the nature of open forums.

countryboy
09-04-2013, 12:59 PM
How about a No Thanks button?
No thanks. :D

Venus
09-04-2013, 01:01 PM
No thanks. :D

LOL

where is that fuck you button when you need it :)

Chris
09-04-2013, 01:34 PM

Admin said that thanks count. So if you give a lot of thanks that could be why you can't rep.

Chris
09-04-2013, 01:37 PM

Admin and I looked at a Groan button. Would be fun. But it's costs to add one that's supported. --And I'm sure you could change the text from "Groan" to "Fuck You". Or "No Thanks" as Venus suggests.

Chris
09-04-2013, 01:39 PM

So get rid of it. Leave just Thanks. Maybe add Groan. But remove all adding up Reputation.

Peter1469
09-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Admin said that thanks count. So if you give a lot of thanks that could be why you can't rep.

The only issue that I have ever happened: if I want to thank and rep the same post, I have to rep first then thanks. It doesn't work the other way for me.

Chris
09-04-2013, 04:33 PM

Bump

Dr. Who
09-04-2013, 04:33 PM
The only issue that I have ever happened: if I want to thank and rep the same post, I have to rep first then thanks. It doesn't work the other way for me.I'm afraid it's that way for everyone. When I first joined the forum it took me forever to figure out how to rep someone.

Chris
09-04-2013, 04:39 PM

He's not having a problem with the order in giving thanks/rep. He's having the same problem I had where giving rep results in being told you "have given out too many in the last 24 hours". The "too many" include reps and thanks as admin explained. It's not a problem, it's a restriction.

Dr. Who
09-04-2013, 05:27 PM
He's not having a problem with the order in giving thanks/rep. He's having the same problem I had where giving rep results in being told you "have given out too many in the last 24 hours". The "too many" include reps and thanks as admin explained. It's not a problem, it's a restriction.

I realize that. I was responding to Peter's comment.

Peter1469
09-04-2013, 07:18 PM
I wonder if different web browsers have different issues. I generally use firefox.

Dr. Who
09-04-2013, 07:25 PM
I wonder if different web browsers have different issues. I generally use firefox.I'm using IE. Pretty standard.

Captain Obvious
09-04-2013, 07:33 PM
I wonder if different web browsers have different issues. I generally use firefox.

Browsers are different, they both have "issues". I've found Firefox has less but I'm not an expert.

I can say that mobile has a lot of quirks. When I get a "notification", when someone @'s me - I can't pull it up. I can't thank anyone using mobile which sucks because I tend to use mobile more nowadays.

Peter1469
09-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Browsers are different, they both have "issues". I've found Firefox has less but I'm not an expert.

I can say that mobile has a lot of quirks. When I get a "notification", when someone @'s me - I can't pull it up. I can't thank anyone using mobile which sucks because I tend to use mobile more nowadays.

Mobile is too small for my eyes.....

Dr. Who
09-04-2013, 10:39 PM
Mobile is too small for my eyes.....
LOL most devices under 15" are getting too small for my eyes if it's more than a few lines - wait a few years.

ADMIN
09-04-2013, 10:54 PM
@ADMIN (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=1)

He'll have to look at this.

Yes, thanks are included and after checking the logs, this is why @GrassrootsConservative (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=478) is hitting the limit.

If ten is too restrictive, the limit can be changed provided a consensus agrees upon it.

ADMIN
09-04-2013, 10:57 PM
On my computers I don't have the rep button, on my kindle I do but not the thanks button.

Would you please tell me which browser you are using, and if possible, provide a screen shot?

Thank you.

GrassrootsConservative
09-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Yes, thanks are included and after checking the logs, this is why @GrassrootsConservative (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=478) is hitting the limit.

If ten is too restrictive, the limit can be changed provided a consensus agrees upon it.

Thanks ADMIN .

I don't think 10 rep/day is too restrictive, but I do think "thanks" should be unlimited. Nobody have to worry about how many thanks they give. If I see 100 posts I think are good posts in a day then I should be able to let every one of those people know that I agree with those posts.

All IMHO, of course.

roadmaster
09-06-2013, 12:21 AM
I would rather get a thanks then rep, but that's just me. Never cared about the number beside my name. Will rep most of the time especially if it's a new person.