PDA

View Full Version : Sudbury shelter faces human-rights complaint

roadmaster
01-08-2012, 10:28 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbury/story/2012/01/06/sby-ywca-human-rights-complaint.html

Some say they are not a resident of Sudbury, nor were they homeless. That this person was just a set-up. So will they cave and let any man walk in dressed like a woman enter the YWCA? A lot of these women are battered and don't need this.
Thoughts?

When Larabee, 23, visited her hometown of Sudbury last July, she said she had problems with her partner and called the YWCA shelter for help. After she told shelter staff she was born male, she said, she was asked a series of questions about her genitals.

Conley
01-08-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm confused. It was a man who tried to enter the shelter and was refused?

I agree that battered women need to be protected, many of them have nowhere else to go when they're leaving the abusive relationship.

roadmaster
01-08-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm confused. It was a man who tried to enter the shelter and was refused?

I agree that battered women need to be protected, many of them have nowhere else to go when they're leaving the abusive relationship.

Yes, a man dressed like a woman. He is a man but wants to be a woman. No operations so he is still a man.

Conley
01-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Yes, a man dressed like a woman. He is a man but wants to be a woman. No operations so he is still a man.

Ah, well in that case he should have been refused entry. Seems only right as it is a shelter for women.

roadmaster
01-08-2012, 11:57 PM
Exactly why should they throw out the rights of the woman there to accommodate one person? If this is approved then any man dressed like a woman can claim this and enter putting these woman at risk. These woman are there because it's an all womans place.

jgreer
01-09-2012, 12:07 AM
I don't think this kinda thing happens often. like just a weird coincidence

roadmaster
01-09-2012, 02:31 AM
I don't think this kinda thing happens often. like just a weird coincidence

I agree it doesn't happen often even if this place was or wasn't a target. But as it stands they want them to make accommodations.

Gorman said that policy is currently being reviewed "in terms of how we can best support transgendered women leaving violent situations.”
The Ontario Human Right Tribunal will decide in the coming months whether it will hear Larabee's complaint.

If they give in and say yes people can be there even if they are a man then what about the risk of the women there? Are you for any man saying he is really a she inside to be able to check in at the YWCA?

Conley
01-09-2012, 09:08 AM
This is one of those situations where even if it's not what they think is PC they have to do what's best for the majority of people. I wouldn't even hear the case myself. A man was denied access to a woman's shelter. It makes no difference what he "wanted" to be.