PDA

View Full Version : Gamewell

DGUtley
05-21-2023, 06:14 AM
I regret to advise that Eugene E. Garnes, age 67, a resident of Hyde Park, NY, passed away on Saturday, January 28th. We knew him as Gamewell. Gamewell was a pleasure to work with as a Moderator. He had a calming presence in the moderator room. When there were battles, he'd interject a natural fairness to help sort out our differences and ratchet down the temperature. May he rest in peace. He will be missed.

Eugene worked for many years as an engineer for NBC Universal at 30 Rockefeller Plaza, NYC. He was also a union rep for Nabet-CWA Local 11, helping promote equality and fairness in the workplace, as well as settle any disputes. Gene was a volunteer firefighter for 34 years, first for the Pleasantville Volunteer Fire Dept, and then for the Town of Beekman. He was also the Vice President, on-air talent, and Broadcast and Technical Engineer for his radio station, WBXO Radio as well as a board member for Pawling Public Radio. Radio was his passion, and throughout his radio career, he worked with many big names in radio including Soupy Sales, Howard Stern, and Don Imus. Gene was also a member of the Freemasons.

https://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/obituaries/pjo073916

hanger4
05-21-2023, 06:22 AM
I regret to advise that Eugene E. Garnes, age 67, a resident of Hyde Park, NY, passed away on Saturday, January 28th. We knew him as Gamewell. Gamewell was a pleasure to work with as a Moderator. He had a calming presence in the moderator room. When there were battles, he'd interject a natural fairness to help sort out our differences and ratchet down the temperature. May he rest in peace. He will be missed.

Eugene worked for many years as an engineer for NBC Universal at 30 Rockefeller Plaza, NYC. He was also a union rep for Nabet-CWA Local 11, helping promote equality and fairness in the workplace, as well as settle any disputes. Gene was a volunteer firefighter for 34 years, first for the Pleasantville Volunteer Fire Dept, and then for the Town of Beekman. He was also the Vice President, on-air talent, and Broadcast and Technical Engineer for his radio station, WBXO Radio as well as a board member for Pawling Public Radio. Radio was his passion, and throughout his radio career, he worked with many big names in radio including Soupy Sales, Howard Stern, and Don Imus. Gene was also a member of the Freemasons.

67 ....... too young. I hope he passed peacefully surrounded by his loved ones.

NoisyBoy
05-21-2023, 06:22 AM
I remember that name at the other place. Sounds like he was good man. May he RIP.

Peter1469
05-21-2023, 06:27 AM
He was a good guy. RIP.

Red Lily
05-21-2023, 06:29 AM
I am very sorry to hear this sad news. I was wondering how he was doing just the other day. May he RIP. http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/flower/flower-3-smiley-emoticon-emoji.png

Mini Me
05-21-2023, 10:18 AM
He was a good guy. RIP.

He sure was! He helped get me back on here! GOOD DUDE! RIP!

Adelaide
05-21-2023, 10:38 AM
Gene was a fair and reasonable person who always showed kindness and care for those he interacted with.

This is truly sad news, and I will see able adding him to our site banner.

Docthehun
05-21-2023, 11:14 AM
He was a great guy, which, by the way, come in both red & blue. I'm hoping to make 70 (8/31) but nothing is guaranteed. Six months ago I was stuck in a nursing home thinking I had already taken my last breath of freedom. It's a sobering thought. Live everyday like it's your last.

countryboy
05-21-2023, 11:20 AM
RIP Gene, we disagreed often, and I wasn't always kind to you. I'm sorry, I will endeavor to do better in your honor.

Just AnotherPerson
05-21-2023, 12:01 PM
This is so sad. Gamewell was one of the good guys for sure. So sorry to hear this.

Standing Wolf
05-21-2023, 12:30 PM
In remembrance of Gamewell, I'll be using his old Avatar as my own this week.

Countryboy's idea of "doing better" in Gamewell's honor is a good one, obviously. I believe we could all use a dose of that.

As I get to the end of the road myself, I think more and more about a lyric from Jackson Browne's 'For a Dancer'. Comparing life to a series of dances, he wrote, 'No matter how close to yours another's steps have grown, in the end there is one dance you'll do alone".

Chris
05-21-2023, 12:41 PM
Sorry to see him go. RIP.

Might should add him up top with WR OL PW.

RMNIXON
05-21-2023, 01:20 PM
Rip

Common
05-21-2023, 02:32 PM
Gene and I were friends for along time online. He was the most honest and genuine person you could find.
He lived by the old more' I am going to sincerely miss him. Hard to find a better man and a democrat none the less :)

God Speed Gene and ill try to meet ya on the upside...we'll have to wait and see If I can make it :)

Sunsettommy
05-21-2023, 02:50 PM
Well.... that was completely unexpected to see here..... :sad:

Rest Well Gene you had a busy productive life and a Free Mason too that is something special!

bdtex
05-22-2023, 09:18 AM

A life well-lived. Gone too soon.

Collateral Damage
05-22-2023, 11:31 AM
I'm sorry to see that. Gamewell and I disagreed a majority of the time, though he would back out quite often which drove me nuts. I guess it was his way of 'making peace'.

Hopefully he went peacefully. While 67 is relatively young, he did many things for the betterment of the community, which should put him in good standing with the powers that be.

Cotton1
05-22-2023, 10:36 PM
Gamewell was a wonderful person amd very caring man. Occasionally he would pm me just to say hello. I always looked forward to it.

RIP

Tahuyaman
05-23-2023, 11:44 PM
I remember Gamewell as a reasonable guy who didn’t go sideways if you disagreed with him.

Now_What
05-27-2023, 09:11 PM
I am very saddened to read this. A great guy and gone far too soon. May he rest in peace, prayers for him and his loved ones.

Mini Me
06-02-2023, 09:58 PM
Gamewell helped me get back on the forum long time ago. GOOD GUY!

I will miss him!:cry:

Dr. Who
06-02-2023, 10:31 PM
So sorry to hear the sad news. I had been wondering about his absence on the forum. I was very fond of Gene. He was a kind and decent person and I will miss him. May he rest in peace.

IMPress Polly
06-03-2023, 09:15 PM
Don't think I ever had a quarrel or negative experience with Gene in the entire time that he and I were here. Definitely someone reasonable and considerate of others. Will definitely miss having him around. :sad:

Private Pickle
06-13-2023, 06:55 PM
That’s a huge loss to rational, intelligent, thoughtful people as those were they he identified most with. RIP friend.

Private Pickle
06-13-2023, 07:24 PM
K I can’t get things to work right. Gene and I were close and I have pictures of his family that I wanted to share. Unfortunately I can’t get them to work.

I would love to share with you all what he shared with me but am having second guesses.

If Dave or Ade could reach out I would appreciate it.

Private Pickle
06-17-2023, 11:58 PM
Well if anyone wants them personally just DM me.

Red Lily
10-01-2023, 04:45 PM
Any update on adding him to the site banner?

Now_What
10-07-2023, 01:12 AM

R

TheLiquidGuy
11-18-2023, 11:59 PM
Shocking news. I liked him a lot.

Red Lily
03-06-2024, 04:30 AM
I see GW has been added to the banner. :thumbsup20:

DGUtley
03-06-2024, 05:16 AM

??

Red Lily
03-06-2024, 05:21 AM
??

There were three sets of initials on the top banner under the stars. WR, OL and PW.

Now there are four. GW has been added and I assumed that stood for Gamewell?

Or am I going crazy? Lol

Peter1469
03-06-2024, 05:38 AM
There were three sets of initials on the top banner under the stars. WR, OL and PW.

Or am I going crazy? Lol
Nope, not crazy. Its there.

countryboy
03-06-2024, 05:48 AM

Or am I going crazy? Lol

I only see three.

Red Lily
03-06-2024, 06:10 AM

countryboy
03-06-2024, 06:14 AM

That's weird, I wonder why I'm not seeing it.

Now_What
03-06-2024, 06:17 AM
That's weird, I wonder why I'm not seeing it.

Maybe if you sign out and sign in?

Now_What
03-06-2024, 06:18 AM

I didn’t notice - thanks for pointing that out. Very cool.

countryboy
03-06-2024, 06:41 AM
Logged out and back in, still no GW. Turned my adblocker off and on, and there it is. Weird.

DGUtley
03-06-2024, 07:26 AM
I only see three.

DGUtley
03-06-2024, 07:30 AM
Interestingly, I went to Mozilla and saw all four. Odd.

HawkTheSlayer
03-06-2024, 08:30 AM
Still only see 3.

Chris
03-06-2024, 09:34 AM
For Chrome browser, press Ctrl and https://snipboard.io/Nsx58y.jpg.

IOW, force reload.

bdtex
03-06-2024, 12:39 PM
For Chrome browser, press Ctrl and https://snipboard.io/Nsx58y.jpg.

IOW, force reload.
That does it.

Tahuyaman
03-06-2024, 02:00 PM
Interestingly, I went to Mozilla and saw all four. Odd.

What’s the deal here?

Abby08
03-06-2024, 02:07 PM
What’s the deal here?

I never even saw those initials......have no idea who they represent.

Tahuyaman
03-06-2024, 02:09 PM
I never even saw those initials......have no idea who they represent.
Neither do I.

Chris
03-06-2024, 02:29 PM
What’s the deal here?

Just a list of well-liked members who died:

WR = WingRider
OL = OceanLover
PW = PolWatch
GW = GameWell

Tahuyaman
03-06-2024, 02:35 PM

WR = WingRider
OL = OceanLover
PW = PolWatch
GW = GameWell

I guess that would explain why Agent Zero or AZ Jim aren’t there too.

Chris
03-06-2024, 02:41 PM
I guess that would explain why Agent Zero or AZ Jim aren’t there too.

Right, there are a number of members who have died but were unpopular or just not popular with everyone. The four up there were popular with almost everyone. I think all four were also moderators at one time. WR probably before the mod team was formed as he was an Original.

TheLiquidGuy
03-06-2024, 05:28 PM
If you clear your browser cache of images and files, you should see GW. Just refresh (F5) after.

Abby08
03-06-2024, 05:42 PM
If you clear your browser cache of images and files, you should see GW. Just refresh (F5)

It's not that important.

TheLiquidGuy
03-06-2024, 08:05 PM
It's not that important.
But it's not that hard either.

You dont have to clear your browsing history or cookies. just select images/files in most browsers.

Abby08
03-06-2024, 08:16 PM
But it's not that hard either.

You dont have to clear your browsing history or cookies. just select images/files in most browsers.

If it's important to you, you see all 4 sets of initials, sure, do that.

I didn't even know they were there......then, I didn't know who the initials represented.

No biggie.

TheLiquidGuy
03-06-2024, 08:30 PM
If it's important to you, you see all 4 sets of initials, sure, do that.

I didn't even know they were there......then, I didn't know who the initials represented.

No biggie.

I didn't know either. But I am glad I know now. Its good to see Gamewell45 has been honored. I did want to see it.

take care.

ADMIN
03-07-2024, 07:04 AM

WR = WingRider
OL = OceanLover
PW = PolWatch
GW = GameWell

This is mostly correct, but they are not on our banner for reasons of popularity (although they certainly were). All were major contributors for a time and then subsequently became moderators. Wingrider was a mod at our original site Politirant, but I do not recall if he continued his duties once we moved over here.

Ethereal
03-07-2024, 07:59 PM
This is mostly correct, but they are not on our banner for reasons of popularity (although they certainly were). All were major contributors for a time and then subsequently became moderators. Wingrider was a mod at our original site Politirant, but I do not recall if he continued his duties once we moved over here.

Will Codename_Section get a place of honor on the forum's banner some day?

ADMIN
03-07-2024, 08:20 PM
Will Codename_Section get a place of honor on the forum's banner some day?
I'm glad you can joke about it now, from what I heard we weren't the only ones who were duped. :wink:

Ethereal
03-08-2024, 09:00 AM
I'm glad you can joke about it now, from what I heard we weren't the only ones who were duped. :wink:
Remind me... who was it that unraveled the deception, exposed it to the entire forum, and rid this online community of a genuine sociopath who was doing real harm to the membership, even though he didn't have to?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it your job to ensure that a literal sock puppet doesn't become a moderator?

Ethereal
03-08-2024, 11:12 AM
By the way, I never hid the fact that I got tricked. I told the entire forum about it precisely because I didn't want anyone else to get hurt, even though I could have simply walked away and left you all to deal with the mess. Very telling that you'd try to use that against me, despite the fact that it speaks well to my character.