PDA

View Full Version : American Meat Industry in a Panic as Americans Cut Down

Conley
01-11-2012, 11:11 AM
Considering the fairly steady climb in meat consumption over the last half-century, you might say the numbers are plummeting. The department of agriculture projects that our meat and poultry consumption will fall again this year, to about 12.2 percent less in 2012 than it was in 2007. Beef consumption has been in decline for about 20 years; the drop in chicken is even more dramatic, over the last five years or so; pork also has been steadily slipping for about five years.

It’s easy enough to round up the usual suspects, which is what a story in the Daily Livestock Report did last month. It blames the decline on growing exports, which make less meat available for Americans to buy. It blames it on ethanol, which has caused feed costs to rise, production to drop and prices to go up so producers can cover their increasing costs. It blames drought. It doesn’t blame recession, which is surprising, because that’s a factor also.

All of which makes some sense. The report then goes on to blame the federal government for “wag[ing] war on meat protein consumption” over the last 30-40 years.

Is this like the war on drugs? The war in Afghanistan? The war against cancer? Because what I see here is:

- a history of subsidies for the corn and soy that’s fed to livestock
- a nearly free pass on environmental degradation and animal abuse
- an unwillingness to meaningfully limit the use of antibiotics in animal feed
- a failure to curb the stifling power that corporate meatpackers wield over smaller ranchers
- and what amounts to a refusal — despite the advice of real, disinterested experts, true scientists in fact — to unequivocally tell American consumers that they should be eating less meat

Or is the occasional environmental protection regulation and whisper that unlimited meat at every meal might not be ideal the equivalent of war? Is the U.S.D.A. buying $40 million worth of chicken products to reduce the surplus and raise retail prices the equivalent of war?

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/were-eating-less-meat-why/?hp

Good job America! The Meat Industry can go ship their tainted products overseas, because we're not eating their corn-fed antibiotic hormone stuffed crap any more!

(this is the rant section after all :grin:)

MMC
01-11-2012, 12:13 PM
http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1524059419491&id=c8a9ac320a2aa932fb252cb3ae99b14f&url=http%3a%2f%2fwattsupwiththat.files.wordpress.c om%2f2010%2f04%2fwheres_the_beef.jpg
:angry:

MMC
01-11-2012, 12:16 PM
Why in the hell are we buying Chickens from anyone? Uhm.....we don't have chicken farmers anymore? How stupid is that. WTF is going on. Ka-ching-a-jingle. Thats 40 million saved!!!!! :angry:

Peter1469
01-11-2012, 12:29 PM
I get my meat from a farmers market. Grass fed beef and their milk, and free range chickens. And their eggs.

Eating Factory farmed animals are better than starving, but not much.

Mister D
01-11-2012, 01:19 PM
I can buy the idea that Americans consume too much meat but not in any absolute sense. They just eat enough vegetables, grains, or fruit.

Conley
01-11-2012, 01:22 PM
You're saying that the percent of our diet that comes from meat is too high right? I think it's kind of the same thing. I don't think Americans need to add any more calories even if it is in the form of the three groups you mentioned.

Mister D
01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
That's true but vegis don't really add much in the way of calories save for legumes. I think it's probably true that Americans consume far more protein than they actually need.

Conley
01-11-2012, 01:37 PM
Veggies the way you eat them don't add calories but I see people pouring buckets of dressing, croutons, bacon, etc. It adds up quickly.

Mister D
01-11-2012, 01:39 PM
True. They shouldn't be adding so much dressing. Americans also need to the basics of nutrition.

Peter1469
01-11-2012, 02:30 PM
People could cut out all starchy carbs to no negative effect, except for serious endurance athletes. Not that that sort of exercise is really good for you anyway.

Mister D
01-11-2012, 02:32 PM
I keep mine reasonable. 5 mile runs and some weight lifting in between.

Peter1469
01-11-2012, 02:55 PM
I am too beat up for 5 mile runs. I do 1 or 2 two mile runs per week. Plus some HIIT on the elliptical once or twice a week. Plus weights 4 times per week.

Mister D
01-11-2012, 03:01 PM
I hear ya. I don't have that kind of military background though. Knees and joints are in good shape (praise God). The elli[ptical machine is cool because you can watch something while you exercise but I'm not about to throw down a grand for a quality machine.

Peter1469
01-11-2012, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't want to spend that much either. They gym at my work has them.

Before the joints and back started going I ran 6-8 miles 5 days a week. Plus the weights.

Mister D
01-11-2012, 03:15 PM
How do your knees feel on the treadmills or whatever they call that running machine?

Peter1469
01-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Actually my knees don't really hurt on a treadmill, but that is not a great machine- your legs muscles react very different on a treadmill than they do on the ground.

I still with the elliptical and the bikes for cardio.

Peter1469
01-11-2012, 04:34 PM
I would add that any incline on the treadmill kills my back.

wingrider
01-11-2012, 06:50 PM
kinda remids me of the two old guys sittig on a park bench watching the joggers go by. One turns to the other and says,

" I don't know why they do that much exercise, they are gonna die anyway.

Peter1469
01-11-2012, 06:55 PM
Except I am not that old (42) and Mr. D is much younger.

As long as I took care not to through my back out, I could toss Mr. D across the room!

wingrider
01-11-2012, 06:57 PM

As long as I took care not to through my back out, I could toss Mr. D across the room!

can I watch that matchup? that would be cool

Mister D
01-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Actually my knees don't really hurt on a treadmill, but that is not a great machine- your legs muscles react very different on a treadmill than they do on the ground.

I still with the elliptical and the bikes for cardio.

It's funny you mention that because I always felt weird on a treadmill particularly when I stop. Your body must react differently. I can't quite place it but I almost feel light headed when I get off.

Mister D
01-11-2012, 07:05 PM

I'm not heavy that's for sure! :laugh:

Conley
01-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Mister D is more of a mental heavyweight. :wink:

Mister D
01-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Mister D is more of a mental heavyweight. :wink:

:grin:

Peter1469
01-11-2012, 07:29 PM
We could sell tickets.

Peter1469
01-11-2012, 07:32 PM
It's funny you mention that because I always felt weird on a treadmill particularly when I stop. Your body must react differently. I can't quite place it but I almost feel light headed when I get off.

Your muscles engage differently. I suppose if you run outside a lot it isn't a big deal. But if you only run on a treadmill I would think it would become a problem.

Peter1469
01-11-2012, 07:33 PM
I'm not heavy that's for sure! :laugh:

I used to spare with a very hot girl who was 95 pounds soaking wet. She could throw me (I was 175 at that time)- it is all technique.

Conley
01-11-2012, 07:40 PM
We could sell tickets.

I'll buy a ticket if the "hot girl sparring partner" will be part of the festivities. :grin:

Mister D
01-11-2012, 08:11 PM
Your muscles engage differently. I suppose if you run outside a lot it isn't a big deal. But if you only run on a treadmill I would think it would become a problem.

It's a creepy feeling. I prefer to run outside even in 30 degree weather.

Peter1469
01-12-2012, 04:18 PM
me too

RollingWave
02-17-2012, 03:16 AM
Is this like the war on drugs? The war in Afghanistan? The war against cancer? Because what I see here is:

- a history of subsidies for the corn and soy that’s fed to livestock
- a nearly free pass on environmental degradation and animal abuse
- an unwillingness to meaningfully limit the use of antibiotics in animal feed
- a failure to curb the stifling power that corporate meatpackers wield over smaller ranchers
- and what amounts to a refusal — despite the advice of real, disinterested experts, true scientists in fact — to unequivocally tell American consumers that they should be eating less meat

Or is the occasional environmental protection regulation and whisper that unlimited meat at every meal might not be ideal the equivalent of war? Is the U.S.D.A. buying $40 million worth of chicken products to reduce the surplus and raise retail prices the equivalent of war?

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/01/10/were-eating-less-meat-why/?hp

Good job America! The Meat Industry can go ship their tainted products overseas, because we're not eating their corn-fed antibiotic hormone stuffed crap any more!

(this is the rant section after all :grin:)

Your forgetting that the government actively try to force other countries to accept the American "standard" on Meat in terms of antibiotics and all other sorts of crazy stuff on their meat in trade talks...

Something that lead to this now infamous scene in South Korea.

http://cdn.theatlanticwire.com/img/upload/2011/11/22/korea/large.jpg

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/global/2011/11/south-korean-legislator-sets-tear-gas-bomb-national-assembly/45283/

(it contains a Youtube of the Legislator blowing a tear gas bomb inside the parliment, kudos)

wingrider
02-17-2012, 03:25 AM
I keep mine reasonable. 5 mile runs and some weight lifting in between. I would lift wieghts but there to heavy

RollingWave
03-06-2012, 10:39 PM
Ahhh speaking of America forcing it's standards on other folks, yesterday the government here caved in and decided that it wants to allow ractopamine-enhanced beef imports from the US, since the US have insisted that it be the pre-condition of any further trade talks .

ractopamine is chemical often added to feeds often given to pigs and cattle in the US and Canada that makes it leaner (so less blubber and more pure meat) , it's supposedly safe but a similar agent Clenbuterol have been proven to be rather dangerous, while the newer Ractopamine is still more debatable, there have been no tests that showed it is dangerous, but it also hasn't been around long enough to have study show it isn't dangerous either. So the EU, China and Taiwan amongst other countries have banned it's use and imports.

The US exports Ractopamine free beefs to the EU and those other countries that ban it (though testing here showed that the supposed ractopamine free beef is in fact still often containing them), but it got Japan to accept ractopamine enhanced beef earlier (though japan did set a lower level of allowance than the typical one in the US). and now Taiwan here is about to cave in as well.

The US have insisted that this be settled before any other FTA talks can begin, so yeah... the Obama administration is cleeeearly trying to kill the US meat industry
:rollseyes:

Peter1469
03-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Do the labels at least alert you to these sorts of additives?

Conley
03-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Dang, somehow I missed both of RW's recent posts in this thread. It's disgusting stuff. You know the pink slime (it is connective tissue plus ammonium hydroxide) thread I started a while back? Well, while McDonalds and Burger King have stopped allowing it, they're still using it for kids' lunches in the public schools.

Oh, and RW, by the way

"Your forgetting that the government actively try to force other countries to accept the American "standard" on Meat in terms of antibiotics and all other sorts of crazy stuff on their meat in trade talks..."

I'm not forgetting anything. I'm completely against this sort of 'business practice' whether it be in America or anywhere else.

RollingWave
03-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Do the labels at least alert you to these sorts of additives?

supposedly they will, but the problem then becomes how do you regulate the menus on various restaruants and food stands? espeically the later? Taiwan have tens of thousands of small food stands that's basically untrackable, most aren't even registered.

Also, Taiwan still have many traditional open air market that many people (of all generation) shop fresh food at , those are also much more difficult to regulate than a supermarket.

Peter1469
03-07-2012, 10:43 PM
supposedly they will, but the problem then becomes how do you regulate the menus on various restaruants and food stands? espeically the later? Taiwan have tens of thousands of small food stands that's basically untrackable, most aren't even registered.

Also, Taiwan still have many traditional open air market that many people (of all generation) shop fresh food at , those are also much more difficult to regulate than a supermarket.

Good point. I get my meat from a local farmers market where I know the quality. I usually don't get meat at restaurants or food stands. But I see your point.

Captain Obvious
03-07-2012, 11:37 PM
I don't know if it's too much meat rather than too much fat. Meat is an excuse to load up on fat and other shit that isn't nutritionally wholesome. Fast food - advertises meat, serves you shit. All byproducts.

And lies.

I've been batching it down here in wild and wonderful West Virginia, I eat at the apartment. Sandwiches. My dad pisses and moans - "go out to a restaurant and eat". Yeah, fuck that, eating out alone. Plus it's pricey, so I do the sandwich thing. I've cut the lunchmeat part out of it and I do just cheese. Binds me a little but I've been making sure I eat a few apples or something like that a day.

Cheese sandwich with tomato, lettuce and a shitload of that Sriracha sauce. And yogurt, unflavored. Cools the pipes down. Cottage cheese every now and then but that's a little fatty.

Soup at work for lunch.

Conley
03-07-2012, 11:47 PM
Meat and fat aren't bad for you. The additives will put you in a hole right quick.

Peter1469
03-07-2012, 11:47 PM
I don't know if it's too much meat rather than too much fat. Meat is an excuse to load up on fat and other shit that isn't nutritionally wholesome. Fast food - advertises meat, serves you shit. All byproducts.

And lies.

I've been batching it down here in wild and wonderful West Virginia, I eat at the apartment. Sandwiches. My dad pisses and moans - "go out to a restaurant and eat". Yeah, fuck that, eating out alone. Plus it's pricey, so I do the sandwich thing. I've cut the lunchmeat part out of it and I do just cheese. Binds me a little but I've been making sure I eat a few apples or something like that a day.

Cheese sandwich with tomato, lettuce and a shitload of that Sriracha sauce. And yogurt, unflavored. Cools the pipes down. Cottage cheese every now and then but that's a little fatty.

Soup at work for lunch.

Not all fat is created equal. Omega 3 fats are very good for you. Omega 6s are not and cause inflammation. Inflammation is the cause of most diseases and cancer.

RollingWave
03-08-2012, 12:58 AM
almost anything when taken too much isn't good for you, and at the same time even the worst shit if you don't take enough you can still surive it.

I do like to point out that the USA's life expectency isn't really as high as it should be if you consider relative wealth... it's the same as .... Cuba ... it also doesn't take a rocket scientiest to see that obesity rate in the US is off the charts.

wingrider
03-08-2012, 01:55 AM
almost anything when taken too much isn't good for you, and at the same time even the worst shit if you don't take enough you can still surive it.

I do like to point out that the USA's life expectency isn't really as high as it should be if you consider relative wealth... it's the same as .... Cuba ... it also doesn't take a rocket scientiest to see that obesity rate in the US is off the charts. I googled cuban life expectancy and found this report from cuban dr.. just thought I would post it ..

I can say that every statistics coming from Cuba is 99% false
The idea that the Cuban regime has of the truth is that it is something that always needs modification, because otherwise, the enemies of comunism will be very happy

We have one of the highest suicide rates in the world, but that is not something they advertise

Ironically, it may be true that, since in Cuba finding food is a daily challenge it may help to eat a healthier diet.

When I arrived to this country I began to work in a clinic, reviewing medical charts, and we thought that the high levels of cholesterol found in practically all the patients were a mistake.
We said: "it is not possible that everybody here has high cholesterol"
Later we learned that it was possible
Also, since we must walk everywhere we go, or use a bicycle, that makes us make exercise
Ironic, no ?
The combination of a scarce diet and exercise is highly recomended and we have that ( not willingly, but we have it )

If you wish to talk about this, you can contact me at:
azulgatoplaya@yahoo.com. I saw that you don't allow emails
Source(s):

I am a Cuban physician, I know this very well

one of the response from this site
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090312223915AAcKS0L

RollingWave
03-08-2012, 03:08 AM
that is a good one Wing, yes the Cuba example isn't the greatest, but the general point is just that for one of the wealthiest country in the world the US's life expectancy certainly isn't lining up in the same way.

wingrider
03-08-2012, 05:32 AM
that is a good one Wing, yes the Cuba example isn't the greatest, but the general point is just that for one of the wealthiest country in the world the US's life expectancy certainly isn't lining up in the same way. wealth really hasn't anything to do with health.. many rich people suffer from all kinds of maladies that poorer people do not,, considering that as little as 75 years ago the life expectancy in the us was an average of 65 and today is about 85 says a lot about how advanced we are medically and also the more we have learned and praciced to keep ouselves healthier. for exaple I myself am 62 years old but I have the stamina and vitality of someone closer to 40 or 45.. I think lifestyle has a tremendous impact on longevity.

Peter1469
03-08-2012, 08:15 AM
that is a good one Wing, yes the Cuba example isn't the greatest, but the general point is just that for one of the wealthiest country in the world the US's life expectancy certainly isn't lining up in the same way.

With the wealth comes indulgences in all sorts of unhealthy stuff.

RollingWave
03-09-2012, 01:03 AM
That is true, but if the nation as a whole is wealthy it should also have greater medical ability to keep it's folks alive no? I would hazard a guess that if we compare the top 10% of Americans vs the bottom 10% the former would most likely live longer on average.

Of course I agree that the combination of a poorer folks life style (in a good way) and a wealthier folk's medical service is the best way to live long, my uncle's dad lived till he was almost 90 and he died because he fell off a cliff while working on his fruit farm.... that was on said cliff... which he has been doing his entire life.. that was still healthy enough to go up there at that age says plenty . that uncle of mine is a gym teacher in middle school, he's almost 70 now but looks like he's about 50 at best.

Peter1469
03-09-2012, 07:34 AM
That is true, but if the nation as a whole is wealthy it should also have greater medical ability to keep it's folks alive no? I would hazard a guess that if we compare the top 10% of Americans vs the bottom 10% the former would most likely live longer on average.

Of course I agree that the combination of a poorer folks life style (in a good way) and a wealthier folk's medical service is the best way to live long, my uncle's dad lived till he was almost 90 and he died because he fell off a cliff while working on his fruit farm.... that was on said cliff... which he has been doing his entire life.. that was still healthy enough to go up there at that age says plenty . that uncle of mine is a gym teacher in middle school, he's almost 70 now but looks like he's about 50 at best.

I think that you hit the nail on the head. The wealthy people in rich nations reap the benefits of the advanced medicine. The poor, even middle class don't avail themselves of the advances for many different reasons; just getting by in life being a major one. Look at alcohol consumption in America. It goes up as income goes up (because they can afford to drink it like water).