PDA

View Full Version : What can one million trees do?

Chloe
09-08-2013, 08:41 PM

A lot actually

oceanloverOH
09-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Nice post, Chloe. I'm of the mind that unless a tree is diseased, dead or dying; cutting it down needs to be a serious consideration. If we must cut down mature trees to make space for human habitation, harvest paper and wood products, if there is a forest fire, etc......then a baby tree should be planted in place of the one(s) removed. I know it's not practical to try to replace EVERY tree....but there are programs in place now that help. I like the term "renewable or sustainable resource"......especially for Earth's forests.

countryboy
09-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Nice post, @Chloe (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=565). I'm of the mind that unless a tree is diseased, dead or dying; cutting it down needs to be a serious consideration. If we must cut down mature trees to make space for human habitation, harvest paper and wood products, if there is a forest fire, etc......then a baby tree should be planted in place of the one(s) removed. I know it's not practical to try to replace EVERY tree....but there are programs in place now that help. I like the term "renewable or sustainable resource"......especially for Earth's forests.
Actually, the logging industry (what's left of it) plants a lot of trees. Wood is a renewable resource. Unfortunately, the greenie weenies often won't allow even dead trees to be cut down, which is one reason we have epic forest fires.

oceanloverOH
09-08-2013, 10:17 PM
Actually, the logging industry (what's left of it) plants a lot of trees. Wood is a renewable resource. Unfortunately, the greenie weenies often won't allow even dead trees to be cut down, which is one reason we have epic forest fires.

I know, and that's sooooo idiotic. Many of them die from disease and pests, and if not removed and/or treated promptly, can infect whole forests (which is exactly what happened in many of the forested areas of Kentucky).

Dr. Who
09-08-2013, 10:31 PM

I'm in favor of the type of logging that takes out individual trees, but doesn't clear cut. With replanting of the same type of tree that was harvested, the forests maintain their biodiversity.

Common
09-09-2013, 05:29 AM
Its obvious a million trees can do alot more than our congress, even if they just shed leaves once a year

Chris
09-09-2013, 08:46 AM
Interesting, a private corporation is making this effort.

shaarona
11-14-2013, 03:19 PM
I'm in favor of the type of logging that takes out individual trees, but doesn't clear cut. With replanting of the same type of tree that was harvested, the forests maintain their biodiversity.

That's not recommended any more by the forestry schools..

Selective cutting tears up the trees left behind.. Now they recommend clear cutting.. a burn off of debris and replanting. I have done it both ways

Chloe
11-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Interesting, a private corporation is making this effort.

well yes, along with several non-profits. I wish more private companies would make these sorts of efforts as well, but of course UPS needs to make sure that they follow through and not just do it for the sake of image.

The Sage of Main Street
11-15-2013, 02:53 PM
More proof that the trust-fundie Treehuggers are a false flag movement. What replaces paper? Plastic. Where does plastic come from? Petrochemicals.

What replaced wood in cars? Same old, same old.

Cigar
11-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Thanks for reminding me ... need to take the Dog for a Walk

Chris
11-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Chloe, sort of related, you might be interested: Forests disappearing since 2000? Google cloud maps global changes (http://www.nbcnews.com/science/forests-disappearing-2000-google-cloud-maps-global-changes-2D11591792):

http://i.snag.gy/otN1Z.jpg

Chloe
11-15-2013, 05:20 PM
More proof that the trust-fundie Treehuggers are a false flag movement. What replaces paper? Plastic. Where does plastic come from? Petrochemicals.

What makes someone a trust fund treehugger exactly? Also most paper usage is unnecessary, in fact I've heard of a lot lot smaller businesses and even schools going paperless. It just takes a commitment to progress and focusing on sustainable practices over wasteful practices and focusing on lessening our footprint instead of expanding it in my opinion. The future will not be as wasteful as the present or past in my opinion. Also nobody is saying that plastic will replace paper.

roadmaster
11-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Talk about wasteful, I went to the dollar store on my way home got 2 items they tried to give me a three foot receipt. Yes I let them keep it.

Dr. Who
11-15-2013, 07:03 PM
That's not recommended any more by the forestry schools..

Selective cutting tears up the trees left behind.. Now they recommend clear cutting.. a burn off of debris and replanting. I have done it both ways

That really depends on whether your focus is just tree growth or whether you are looking at the entire balance of nature. Clear cut eliminates habitat for the forest dwellers for many years. Tree cutting doesn't have to tear up the trees left behind. It depends on how a tree is felled. If you don't care to remove the branches first and simply cut from the base then that tree does damage when it falls. If you remove the branches first and then fell the trunk, you can bring down that tree without impacting the environment.

bobgnote
11-25-2013, 01:01 PM

Did anyone in forested areas hear, of the PINE BEETLE or the ASIAN LONGHORNED BEETLE or the SOUTHERN BARK BEETLE?

Lots of affected trees were harvasted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_pine_beetle

http://www.npr.org/2013/08/05/209097985/how-a-beetle-infestation-is-helping-shuttered-saw-mills

http://www.telegram.com/article/20130604/NEWS/106049927/0

http://www.laketahoenews.net/2013/10/questioning-economic-benefit-harvesting-beetle-infested-trees/

Trees were cut down and laid, in big piles, in ravaged North American areas, including all the way up, through Canada, into Alaska.

That Mormon Cricket is coming back around, these days.

GUESS WHY! Heard of AGW, leading to ACC, or ANTHROPOGENIC CLIMATE CHANGE? No poofters . . .

Es verdad. Python's back.

Cthulhu
11-26-2013, 12:46 AM

Well that is not entirely correct. I forget where, but there was a car company that was actually growing car parts out of switch grass and mushroom spores and then coating the result in a thin layer of plastic - thereby reducing the amount of plastic used and makes less of a fire danger during a wreck. Some of it is really cool tech that can be used for logical conservation efforts, and others are little more than PR campaigns to salve the conscience and fool the consumer.

The trick is learning to spot the difference.

Cthulhu
11-26-2013, 12:49 AM
I will agree with the pine beetle bit, that damn thing is a menace, killed tons of friggin trees out in the rockies. Those trees need to be cut down and harvested, or they need to start initiating controlled burns to clear it out.

bobgnote
11-26-2013, 11:25 AM

Your information is so poor, it looks like you are unfamiliar, with Google, Bing, and YouTube.

Ford and Diesel both wanted hemp alcohol, to fuel all vehicles.

Ford made plastic parts, from HEMP, since the Model T, culminating, in a 1941 roadster, to which a sledge was taken, in vids (YouTube).

FDR and his Congress sold out, to Mellon-Anslinger-Hearst media, to pass the Hemp Stamp Tax Act, of 1938, as soon as a HEMP CORTICATOR was invented and shown, in Popular Science, which device would have replaced thousands of wood and fossil fuel products, with hemp resources, which were renewable, by farming, which was formerly required, in the colonies.

This is why when the HSTA was declared unconstitutional, Nixon replaced it, by founding the DEA, wherein hemp is a Schedule I controlled substance, but Obama's crack, zombies' speed and smack, and Zimmy's Adderall are all Schedule II CS.

Of course, if you won't go to Google or Bing or YouTube, hey now! I won't, either, since I am tired of posting all the possible links, since Brad Pitt obviously missed a few you-know-whats.

Peter1469
11-26-2013, 11:41 AM
The early model Ts had two tanks. One for gas and one for ethanol.