PDA

View Full Version : I developed a new recipe!

oceanloverOH
09-15-2013, 06:47 PM
I had an idea for this one, a crockpot chicken and noodle dish....so I started working on development yesterday....went to dozens of websites, got a little from each. Once I put it together, it turned out soooooo well! Mr. Ocean said it's only the absolute BEST chicken dish I've ever made. I've been trying not to break my arm patting myself on the back......

I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we did....as Mr. Ocean says, "it's a keeper!"

Cream Cheese Chicken and Pasta

Prep: 20 min
Cook: 4 hours
Total: 4 hours, 20 min
Serves: 3-4

1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 (0.7 oz) envelope Good Seasons Italian salad dressing mix
5 tablespoons butter (divided in 2 Tbsp and 3 Tbsp)
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 large stalk celery, finely sliced/chopped
2 Tbsp red/green/orange bell pepper, finely chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
8 oz fresh sliced mushrooms
1 (10½ oz) can cream of chicken soup
4 oz cream cheese (½ package), softened
1 (14½ oz) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
Wide noodles or linguine

Melt 2 Tbsp butter. Place chicken thighs in a single layer in crockpot. Brush thighs lightly with butter, sprinkle with Italian dressing powder. Flip chicken pieces over and repeat. You will still have 1-2 tsp dressing mix leftover; set aside.

Cook on LOW for 2.5 hours. Drain chicken on paper towels and remove fat from crock. Return chicken to crock in single layer.

Melt the remaining 3 Tbsp butter in a medium sauce pan and whisk in remaining Italian dressing mix, paprika, and ground black pepper. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic and mushrooms; sauté and stir till onion is transparent but not brown. Add Cream of Chicken Soup, cream cheese, and ½ cup chicken broth; (set aside remaining chicken broth). Whisk until smooth.

Add this mixture to crock pot and cook on LOW for an additional hour. Shortly before sauce is done, cook pasta separately according to package directions, using remaining chicken broth as part of the liquid to boil the pasta in. Drain pasta in colander. Serve chicken and sauce over pasta.

Peter1469
09-15-2013, 06:50 PM
For some reason I picked up an egg plant at the Farmers' Market this weekend. I need to decide what to do with it.....

oceanloverOH
09-15-2013, 06:51 PM
Talk to Common....he's the eggplant king!

Peter1469
09-15-2013, 06:53 PM
OK< can't wait to hear his suggestions.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 06:55 PM
I've had it breaded and pan fried like a chicken cutlet.

Common
09-15-2013, 06:55 PM
For some reason I picked up an egg plant at the Farmers' Market this weekend. I need to decide what to do with it.....

Depends on how you want to cook it peter. You can slice it thin dip it in egg and breadcrumbs or flour and fry it. You can cut it thick and salt it with coarse kosher salt for 40 minutes to get the moisture out and either marinate in italian dressing or just olive oil and grill it over a hot grill.
You can dice it saute it with olive oil and garlic and toss it over pasta with romano cheese.
You can do a google search and get dozens of ways to cook it. I LOVE IT been eating it all my life.

Peter1469
09-15-2013, 06:56 PM
I've had it breaded and pan fried like a chicken cutlet.

My mom made it that way. I do like it, but I try to avoid fried foods these days.

Peter1469
09-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Depends on how you want to cook it peter. You can slice it thin dip it in egg and breadcrumbs or flour and fry it. You can cut it thick and salt it with coarse kosher salt for 40 minutes to get the moisture out and either marinate in italian dressing or just olive oil and grill it over a hot grill.
You can dice it saute it with olive oil and garlic and toss it over pasta with romano cheese.
You can do a google search and get dozens of ways to cook it. I LOVE IT been eating it all my life.

That is likely what I will do with it. Thanks!

Mister D
09-15-2013, 06:59 PM
That does sound good. I may try it. Thanks Common.

Dr. Who
09-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Egg plant lasagna can be pretty tasty.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 07:03 PM
I had an idea for this one, a crockpot chicken and noodle dish....so I started working on development yesterday....went to dozens of websites, got a little from each. Once I put it together, it turned out soooooo well! Mr. Ocean said it's only the absolute BEST chicken dish I've ever made. I've been trying not to break my arm patting myself on the back......

I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we did....as Mr. Ocean says, "it's a keeper!"

½ tsp paprika
2 tsp minced garlic
Wide noodles or linguine

Melt 2 Tbsp butter. Place chicken thighs in a single layer in crockpot. Brush thighs lightly with butter, sprinkle with Italian dressing powder. Flip chicken pieces over and repeat. You will still have 1-2 tsp dressing mix leftover; set aside.

Cook on LOW for 2.5 hours. Drain chicken on paper towels and remove fat from crock. Return chicken to crock in single layer.

Melt the remaining 3 Tbsp butter in a medium sauce pan and whisk in remaining Italian dressing mix, paprika, and ground black pepper. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic and mushrooms; sauté and stir till onion is transparent but not brown. Add Cream of Chicken Soup, cream cheese, and ½ cup chicken broth; (set aside remaining chicken broth). Whisk until smooth.

Add this mixture to crock pot and cook on LOW for an additional hour. Shortly before sauce is done, cook pasta separately according to package directions, using remaining chicken broth as part of the liquid to boil the pasta in. Drain pasta in colander. Serve chicken and sauce over pasta.

I should eat more mushrooms. This inspires me.

Perianne
I have never eaten egg plant. What does it taste like?

oceanloverOH
How did my Cream Cheese Chicken recipe thread get hijacked into an eggplant thread.........?????????

Mister D
09-15-2013, 07:05 PM
How did my Cream Cheese Chicken recipe thread get hijacked into an eggplant thread.........?????????

:laugh: I like your idea. The creamy sauces aren't my style ut I will have try my hand at a similar dish.

Perianne
09-15-2013, 07:06 PM
oceanloverOH, I like your recipe and I WILL try it. Thank you.

Common
09-15-2013, 07:07 PM

Because Eggplant is the food of the Gods, eggplant comes before all other human feed. Eggplant is the staff of life:spam4: :kiss::kiss:

Mister D
09-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Because Eggplant is the food of the Gods, eggplant comes before all other human feed. Eggplant is the staff of life:spam4: :kiss::kiss:

You know how I feel about the mulignans.

Sorry, couldn't resist. :grin:

oceanloverOH
09-15-2013, 07:11 PM
:tongue20:

Dr. Who
09-15-2013, 07:17 PM

½ tsp paprika
2 tsp minced garlic
Wide noodles or linguine

This reminds me of a cross between a chicken stroganoff and a chicken alfredo.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 07:20 PM
I like idea but I will skip the cream sauce. Too rich for me.

oceanloverOH
09-15-2013, 07:20 PM
This reminds me of a cross between a chicken stroganoff and a chicken alfredo.

Exactly!

Dr. Who
09-15-2013, 07:24 PM
I like idea but I will skip the cream sauce. Too rich for me.Actually there is no cream, so it's not loaded with the fat that you would otherwise see in a true cream sauce - note it uses cream cheese.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Actually there is no cream, so it's not loaded with the fat that you would otherwise see in a true cream sauce - note it uses cream cheese.

I use that term for any rich, dairy based sauce. between the butter, cream of chicken soup, and the cream cheese you're looking at a rich sauce. It's just too filling for me.

oceanloverOH
09-15-2013, 07:31 PM
I use that term for any rich, dairy based sauce. between the butter, cream of chicken soup, and the cream cheese you're looking at a rich sauce. It's just too filling for me.

But Mister D....from what you've said, you weigh about 90 lbs with steel-toed boots on....you could USE some filling!

Mister D
09-15-2013, 07:36 PM
But @Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4)....from what you've said, you weigh about 90 lbs with steel-toed boots on....you could USE some filling!

:grin:

You know what though it's the kind of dish that I wind up eating half the portion on my plate because I get full too quickly from the sauce.

Dr. Who
09-15-2013, 07:37 PM
I use that term for any rich, dairy based sauce. between the butter, cream of chicken soup, and the cream cheese you're looking at a rich sauce. It's just too filling for me.I think you would be better off with a stroganoff than an alfredo. The sauce is much thinner - just a glaze on the noodles and meat. My mother always used a little dry vermouth and a bit of sour crème (plus assorted herbs and spices) which works well with a beef stroganoff. Might be too strong for chicken.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 07:45 PM
I think you would be better off with a stroganoff than an alfredo. The sauce is much thinner - just a glaze on the noodles and meat. My mother always used a little dry vermouth and a bit of sour crème (plus assorted herbs and spices) which works well with a beef stroganoff. Might be too strong for chicken.

I don't think I've ever had beef stroganoff. Yeah, a light coating sounds much better.

Dr. Who
09-15-2013, 07:59 PM
I don't think I've ever had beef stroganoff. Yeah, a light coating sounds much better.I usually use a little flank steak, cut across the grain and sliced very thinly. Season with salt and pepper. Saute with chopped onions. Add a little beef stock, one or two tablespoons of sour cream, some fresh parsley - like a couple of sprigs, perhaps 1/4 or half a cup of vermouth to taste and a little more salt and pepper, again to taste. Make sure the alcohol in the vermouth is well cooked out before serving. It shouldn't completely dominate the flavor of the sauce. Serve over wide flat egg noodles. If you don't want the meat too overcooked, remove it from the pan while making the sauce and then return it to the pan for five minutes or so to absorb the flavor of the sauce.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 08:01 PM
I usually use a little flank steak, cut across the grain and sliced very thinly. Season with salt and pepper. Saute with chopped onions. Add a little beef stock, one or two tablespoons of sour cream, some fresh parsley - like a couple of sprigs, perhaps 1/4 or half a cup of vermouth to taste and a little more salt and pepper, again to taste. Make sure the alcohol in the vermouth is well cooked out before serving. It shouldn't completely dominate the flavor of the sauce. Serve over wide flat egg noodles. If you don't want the meat too overcooked, remove it from the pan while making the sauce and then return it to the pan for five minutes or so to absorb the flavor of the sauce.

I just had some lean flank steak that I ground for chili. This sounds good too.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Actually, it sounds pretty easy as well.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Would skirt steak work?

Dr. Who
09-15-2013, 08:06 PM
I just had some lean flank steak that I ground for chili. This sounds good too.My (Polish) father was particularly fond of beef stroganoff. I think he requested that my mother learn how to make it. He generally hated cream sauces as well.

Dr. Who
09-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Actually, it sounds pretty easy as well.The hardest part is slicing the beef into thin slices - maybe an eight of an inch thick. I usually partially freeze the meat to make it more co-operative.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 08:11 PM
The hardest part is slicing the beef into thin slices - maybe an eight of an inch thick. I usually partially freeze the meat to make it more co-operative.

Great idea

Dr. Who
09-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Would skirt steak work?
Yes, absolutely - it's more tender, but I would still recommend cutting across the grain.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 08:12 PM
My (Polish) father was particularly fond of beef stroganoff. I think he requested that my mother learn how to make it. He generally hated cream sauces as well.

I'm definitely giving it a shot. Two good ideas for next weekend.

Captain Obvious
09-15-2013, 08:13 PM

Use it for a football, about all it's good for as far as I'm concerned.

Dr. Who
09-15-2013, 08:13 PM
I'm definitely giving it a shot. Two good ideas for next weekend.You can google up a proper recipe - just make sure you look for the European version. The domestic version often calls for hamburger - not the same!

Mister D
09-15-2013, 08:22 PM
You can google up a proper recipe - just make sure you look for the European version. The domestic version often calls for hamburger - not the same!

I have an image in my head of what it's supposed to look like. no way I'd use hamburger for this. I'll grab a .5 skirt steak ad see how I do.

Dr. Who
09-15-2013, 08:35 PM
I have an image in my head of what it's supposed to look like. no way I'd use hamburger for this. I'll grab a .5 skirt steak ad see how I do.Forgot one important thing - sliced mushrooms. The more flavorful the mushroom the better. This is a good recipe to use wild mushrooms if you can find them.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Forgot one important thing - sliced mushrooms. The more flavorful the mushroom the better. This is a good recipe to use wild mushrooms if you can find them.

That adds some more vitamins too. I only eat mushrooms on pizza but been meaning to eat more.

Peter1469
09-15-2013, 08:48 PM
I have never eaten egg plant. What does it taste like? It can be a bit bitter. But I love it.

Peter1469
09-15-2013, 08:50 PM

Sorry, my fault.

Dr. Who
09-15-2013, 08:51 PM
That adds some more vitamins too. I only eat mushrooms on pizza but been meaning to eat more.

This recipe is the closest I could find to mine - just add the mushrooms. http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/James-Beards-Beef-Stroganoff

Mister D
09-15-2013, 09:09 PM
This recipe is the closest I could find to mine - just add the mushrooms. http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/James-Beards-Beef-Stroganoff

I may use white wine instead of vermouth as per this recipe.

Perianne
09-15-2013, 09:18 PM
It can be a bit bitter. But I love it.

Is there any other vegetable that compares to it?

Dr. Who
09-15-2013, 09:19 PM
I may use white wine instead of vermouth as per this recipe.I have in the past. Vermouth has a unique flavor, but a dry white is good too.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 09:28 PM
I have in the past. Vermouth has a unique flavor, but a dry white is good too.

I had dry vermouth only once. It was with Bombay Sapphire gin. Classic martini.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 09:37 PM
It can be a bit bitter. But I love it.

You think so?

Peter1469
09-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Is there any other vegetable that compares to it?

I don't think so. Squash maybe- without any bitterness.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 09:38 PM
Eggplant doesn't have much nutrition in terms of vitamins, unfortunately.

Peter1469
09-15-2013, 09:41 PM
I didn't know that.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 09:43 PM
I didn't know that.

It's not empty calories. Don't get me wrong. I think it has some anti-oxidants too.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 09:45 PM
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=22

Very low concentrations of vitamins.

Mister D
09-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Livestrong has a pretty positive article about it.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/19046-nutritional-benefits-eggplant/

Peter1469
09-18-2013, 09:48 PM
I made it tonight.

With garlic, shiitake mushrooms, and tomatoes. Used Grape seed oil instead of olive oil since I was using high temps (500). Pasta with tarragon vinegar on the side. Awesome.