PDA

View Full Version : We still have much ignorance to overcome ...

Cigar
09-16-2013, 07:45 AM
Instead Of Standing By Their Employee, Red Lobster Suspends Waitresshttp://www.addictinginfo.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/o-TONI-CHRISTINA-JENKINS-RACIST-RECEIPT-570.jpg

Red Lobster might really be in trouble this time. We just reported on how a waitress, Tori Christina Jenkins, received ‘None, N****r’ instead of a tip this past weekend from racist customers at the Franklin, TN Red Lobster where she works. Now, instead of standing behind Jenkins, Red Lobster has suspended her, citing a violation of company policy as the reason.

A spokesman for Red Lobster, Mike Bernstein, said in an email to the Huffington Post that suspension with pay is “standard procedure” when company policy is violated. In this case, the violation would be publicly posting a receipt, which Jenkins’ father did, on Facebook, Sunday night, with a status message saying “that we still have much ignorance to overcome.”

Bernstein went on to write:

We take this extremely seriously. This kind of language is completely disgusting and has no place in our restaurant or anywhere else, and we are committed to getting to the bottom of what happened as quickly as possible.

He also said that Red Lobster is “extremely disturbed” by the message.

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/09/12/red-lobster-suspends-waitress-who-received-none-nr-as-a-tip/

Mister D
09-16-2013, 07:47 AM
:rofl:

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 07:51 AM
This is an issue, because?

Ravi
09-16-2013, 07:52 AM
Damn. What puzzles me is that the guy that wrote it hired a lawyer. Wtf does he need a lawyer for? Racism isn't illegal.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 07:53 AM
... ignorance abounds

A Lot Of People Are Very Upset That An Indian-American Woman Won The Miss America Pageant

When her win was announced, Twitter immediately exploded with hateful tweets, with people calling her Arab.

POOKIE.@Granvil_Colt Follow
And the Arab wins Miss America. Classic.

Jake Amick@jakeamick5 Follow
How the fuck does a foreigner win miss America? She is a Arab! #idiots

http://worldshowbiz.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nina-Davuluri-Miss-New-York-2013.jpg

Cigar
09-16-2013, 07:54 AM
Damn. What puzzles me is that the guy that wrote it hired a lawyer. Wtf does he need a lawyer for? Racism isn't illegal.

Neither is ignorance illegal, but some morons cheer it. :wink:

Mister D
09-16-2013, 07:55 AM
Neither is ignorance illegal, but some morons cheer it. :wink:

You seem downright obsessed with it. :wink:

Cigar
09-16-2013, 07:57 AM
You seem downright obsessed with it. :wink:

Not really ... I believe in the Law of Averages ... and it's only Monday morning, say tuned :laugh:

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 07:58 AM
I still fail to see why any of this is an issue at all.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 08:02 AM

Don't allow your failures to bother you, I'm sure you'll get over it. :wink:

Mister D
09-16-2013, 08:04 AM
Not really ... I believe in the Law of Averages ... and it's only Monday morning, say tuned :laugh:

:huh:

At this point I should know that any Cigar post ending with ":laugh:" won't make a lick of sense.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 08:06 AM

Cigar needs to start a few threads about race/racism everyday. They pay him by volume.

AmazonTania
Don't allow your failures to bother you, I'm sure you'll get over it. :wink:

My failure to see the point in your rather meaningless thread isn't a deficiency of mine. You presented the article, and perhaps you should have conveyed your thoughts more clearly.

Cigar

At this point I should know that any Cigar post ending with ":laugh:" won't make a lick of sense.

Well ... keep licking ... it will come to you soon enough. :wink:

Mister D
09-16-2013, 08:07 AM
I sense an incoherent post coming followed by a ":laugh:"...

Mister D
09-16-2013, 08:08 AM
No! It was another ambiguously gay comment by a frustrated Cigar.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 08:13 AM
My failure to see the point in your rather meaningless thread isn't a deficiency of mine. You presented the article, and perhaps you should have conveyed your thoughts more clearly.

Not really ... because it's 2013, not 1913, so no explanation required; and I'm not obligated to explain anything to anyone, anymore ... you either get it or you don't. The world no longer waits for the ignorant to catch up to reality, nor does it feel the need to explain or condone overt racism.

Like I said, you either know it or you don't.

But look at the bright said .... the ignorant usually finds out sooner or later, or one way or another.

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 08:16 AM
Not really ... because it's 2013, not 1913, so no explanation required; and I'm not obligated to explain anything to anyone, anymore ... you either get it or you don't. The world no longer waits for the ignorant to catch up to reality, nor does it feel the need to explain or condone overt racism.

Like I said, you either know it or you don't.

But look at the bright said .... the ignorant usually finds out sooner or later, or one way or another.

It is 2013, which means explaining your overall point should be a breeze. It's not my fault there is an intellectual gap in your reasoning. Your thoughts should be conveyed more clearly.

No one is condoning anything. I just want to know what your point is.

So someone used a racial epithet? Big deal.

Common
09-16-2013, 08:19 AM
This is an issue, because?

Im curious Amazon do you think it was right to put on a reciept "None Nigger" in place of a tip ? Do you think its unusual for the womans father to be upset at that?

Ravi
09-16-2013, 08:21 AM
It is 2013, which means explaining your overall point should be a breeze. It's not my fault there is an intellectual gap in your reasoning. Your thoughts should be conveyed more clearly.

Why are you in the thread? You obviously don't care.

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Im curious Amazon do you think it was right to put on a reciept "None Nigger" in place of a tip ? Do you think its unusual for the womans father to be upset at that?

I don't think it's right, or usual, but what can you do...

Mister D
09-16-2013, 08:23 AM

Do you think it's unusual for Cigar to start yet another racially charged thread? Wow someone got called name. Who cares?

Mister D

Should she? Why? Be specific.

AmazonTania

No. I don't care. I still would like to know why this is news and why people should know about it over the many other things regarding the world today.

So someone used a racial slur. That's rough, but what exactly is the issue in all of this?

Cigar
09-16-2013, 08:26 AM

Everyone has their own personal experiences, that's what makes people individuals and not groups; and that's exactly why Corporations are not people. If this thread was so meaningless to you, then why are you wasting your time in it?

The thread's headline indicates "we still have much ignorance to overcome"; it's purpose was not for forum members to immediately confirm it.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Common see how muddled his thoughts become when he is asked to explain his constant race baiting?

jillian
09-16-2013, 08:32 AM
@Common (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=659) see how muddled his thoughts become when he is asked to explain his constant race baiting?

you really have no standing to talk about anyone else race baiting.

or would you prefer to post another thread about how blacks are inferior?

Mister D
09-16-2013, 08:33 AM

Cite one thread or post where I have called blacks inferior. I'll wait.

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 08:33 AM
Everyone has their own personal experiences, that's what makes people individuals and not groups; and that's exactly why Corporations are not people. If this thread was so meaningless to you, then why are you wasting your time in it?

The thread's headline indicates "we still have much ignorance to overcome"; it's purpose was not for forum member to immediately confirm it.

Not that it's really my job to educate you on matters of common law but Corporations are people, and are nothing more than group of individuals. You don't lose your rights simply because you are an individual, and you don't lose your rights simply because you decide to join up with other individuals. Individuals have personal experiences and can decide to incorporate with other like-minded individuals, which is exactly why corporations have legal personhood.

The thread is meaningless because it doesn't have a point. I've asked you why is this really an issue. I still don't know what the issue is besides the racial slur. As far as I know, consumers and employees are the only individuals which have the legal right to discriminate based on whatever they please. It may seem nasty and awful, but that is reality.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 08:36 AM

So I post a story of a Racist customer writing a racist note on a receipt to a waitress ... yet "I'm" Race Baiting?

Somewhere there's a coherent explanation ...:laugh:

Notice the people who are offended :roflmao:

Mister D
09-16-2013, 08:39 AM
So I post a story of a Racist customer writing a racist note on a receipt to a waitress ... yet "I'm" Race Baiting?

Somewhere there's a coherent explanation ...:laugh:

Notice the people who are offended :roflmao:

No one is offended, Cigar. It's what you do here. You just don't do it well. :wink:

Mister D
09-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Not that it's really my job to educate you on matters of common law but Corporations are people, and are nothing more than group of individuals. You don't lose your rights simply because you are an individual, and you don't lose your rights simply because you decide to join up with other individuals. Individuals have personal experiences and can decide to incorporate with other like-minded individuals, which is exactly why corporations have legal personhood.

The thread is meaningless because it doesn't have a point. I've asked you why is this really an issue. I still don't know what the issue is besides the racial slur. As far as I know, consumers and employees are the only individuals which have the legal right to discriminate based on whatever they please. It may seem nasty and awful, but that is reality.

The point, as I'm sure you realize, is to get all the supposed racists here to defend the person who wrote the note. You have to understand he thinks he's being clever. :rollseyes:

Mister D
09-16-2013, 08:43 AM
jillian let me know when you can cite those threads of mine.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 08:44 AM

If you are who you work for, then that's your business ...

Here's better shot of reality ... take a standard size 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, divide it into 10 smaller sheets, write Nigger on each sheet.

Then hand those sheets to the first 10 Black strangers you see.

The results may seem nasty and awful, but that is reality.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 08:46 AM
Cigar has a great deal of racial animosity. Sad...:sad:

Cigar
09-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Cigar has a great deal of racial animosity. Sad...:sad:

I am kinda pissed that something like this never happens to me ...

I sure would like to get in on the fun.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 08:56 AM
I am kinda pissed that something like this never happens to me ...

I sure would like to get in on the fun.

Would you send them a nasty email? :laugh: Pipe down, bitch.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Would you send them a nasty email? :laugh: Pipe down, bitch.

I'd love to find out :grin:

Mister D
09-16-2013, 09:03 AM
I'd love to find out :grin:

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 09:09 AM
If you are who you work for, then that's your business ...

Here's better shot of reality ... take a standard size 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper, divide it into 10 smaller sheets, write Nigger on each sheet.

Then hand those sheets to the first 10 Black strangers you see.

The results may seem nasty and awful, but that is reality.

I see the issue regarding your post. It's your inability to understand the lack of a correlation between your scenario and what actually happened in that restaurant. So, I'm going to provide you the same courtesy you didn't provide me and explain my point to you, because it's apparent that you don't get it.

Red Lobster isn't condoning the racial epithet, and neither am I. We already have laws in place to prevent institutions from discriminating based on race, sex, or religion. As long as we have voluntary exchange, consumers and employees have the right to decide where they would like to shop and work, for whatever reason. This includes particular matters of race, gender, or religion.

For example, an African American consumer can refuse to shop at any store for reason regarding race. Perhaps an inner-city youth wants to boycott a particular store because there aren't enough pictures of blacks on the wall (referencing Do The Right Thing). However, the store owner cannot refuse business of another simply because the consumer doesn't resemble the same ethnicity as the faces on the wall of the establishment. The same thing regarding employers, I can refuse to work for my employer because of his gender. I can make up reasons, such as, "I think a woman might be more sympathetic to my needs and I think it would be better to work for someone who shared the same mindset." My employer, on the other hand, cannot fire me based on my gender and cannot give excuses, such as, "I think a man is better suited for your job than you are."

This is really no different from this incident regarding the racial slur on the receipt. Did the consumer go about it the wrong way? Sure. He could have made any other excuse as to why he refused to tip the waitress. Maybe the establishment was over congested with too many waiters of a particular race, or the environment was too urban for his or her liking. Either one would have been just as legitimate and as justified. But that is generally the point.

If your point is that we should all be outraged because someone was called racial epithet, then your point isn't going to get very far. People use these words all the time. No one was unjustifiably discriminated against in this particular instance. Is wrong for consumers and employees to be able to have these rights? Maybe, but again, that's reality.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 09:14 AM
I'll dumb this down for you, Cigar. What she is saying is that all this boils down to is that someone was called a nigger in Franklin, TN. Seriously, who cares?

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Yeah, seriously, who really cares. We're making this a big deal that consumer discriminated against an employee of a restaurant. This has never changed last time I checked.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 09:20 AM
I see the issue regarding your post. It's your inability to understand the lack of a correlation between your scenario and what actually happened in that restaurant. So, I'm going to provide you the same courtesy you didn't provide me and explain my point to you, because it's apparent that you don't get it.

Red Lobster isn't condoning the racial epithet, and neither am I. We already have laws in place to prevent institutions from discriminating based on race, sex, or religion. As long as we have voluntary exchange, consumers and employees have the right to decide where they would like to shop and work, for whatever reason. This includes particular matters of race, gender, or religion.

For example, an African American consumer can refuse to shop at any store for reason regarding race. Perhaps an inner-city youth wants to boycott a particular store because there aren't enough pictures of blacks on the wall (referencing Do The Right Thing). However, the store owner cannot refuse business of another simply because the consumer doesn't resemble the same ethnicity as the faces on the wall of the establishment. The same thing regarding employers, I can refuse to work for my employer because of his gender. I can make up reasons, such as, "I think a woman might be more sympathetic to my needs and I think it would be better to work for someone who shared the same mindset." My employer, on the other hand, cannot fire me based on my gender and cannot give excuses, such as, "I think a man is better suited for your job than you are."

This is really no different from this incident regarding the racial slur on the receipt. Did the consumer go about it the wrong way? Sure. He could have made any other excuse as to why he refused to tip the waitress. Maybe the establishment was over congested with too many waiters of a particular race, or the environment was too urban for his or her liking. Either one would have been just as legitimate and as justified. But that is generally the point.

If your point is that we should all be outraged because someone was called racial epithet, then your point isn't going to get very far. People use these words all the time. No one was unjustifiably discriminated against in this particular instance. Is wrong for consumers and employees to be able to have these rights? Maybe, but again, that's reality.

Agreed ... everyone has their opinion and your opinion has been noted and filed in the appropriate place ...

I posted a story that "I" thought exemplifies the fact that "we still have much ignorance to overcome". That's what "I" believe and that's why "I'll" stand by that statement. Now ... if "you" believe "we don't have much ignorance to overcome" ... then ... as "you" say ... it's completely "your" right to stand by that statement.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 09:26 AM
Yeah, seriously, who really cares. We're making this a big deal that consumer discriminated against an employee of a restaurant. This has never changed last time I checked.

No one has asked you to feel anything ... no one has asked you to care ... as a matter of fact ... no one as asked your opinion on anything. You chose to inject yourself into this thread. No one asked you to make a big deal that a consumer discriminated against an employee of a restaurant. So what exactly what is your discomfort regarding me posting this thread? Are you all inflamed that I had the audacity to post a thread about discrimination or to agree that we still have much ignorance to overcome?

Mister D
09-16-2013, 09:28 AM
No one has asked you to feel anything ... no one has asked you to care ... as a matter of fact ... no one as asked your opinion on anything. You chose to inject yourself into this thread. No one asked you to make a big deal that a consumer discriminated against an employee of a restaurant. So what exactly what is your discomfort regarding me posting this thread? Are you all inflamed that I had the audacity to post a thread about discrimination or to agree that we still have much ignorance to overcome?

You did. Why else would you have posted this?

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 09:29 AM

If you didn't want me to feel anything, then you wouldn't have posted it. I would like to know what the issue is.

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 09:31 AM
Agreed ... everyone has their opinion and your opinion has been noted and filed in the appropriate place ...

I posted a story that "I" thought exemplifies the fact that "we still have much ignorance to overcome". That's what "I" believe and that's why "I'll" stand by that statement. Now ... if "you" believe "we don't have much ignorance to overcome" ... then ... as "you" say ... it's completely "your" right to stand by that statement.

Someone refused to provide a tip to someone due to race. Explain the ignorance of that? The person just saved money. He had an awful reason for saving money, but he still saved money. Sounds like a smart shopper to me.

If the shoe was on the other foot and the business decided to refuse service to someone due to race, that would have been very ignorant, and we would be in agreement right now.

Chloe
09-16-2013, 09:34 AM
It should definitely be condemned by the local community there in my opinion. I hope that the residents of that town find it to be disgusting and publicly say so, and I hope the person who did it feels shame for it when it is all said and done. I do think that red lobster should have considered her feelings a little more before they suspended her. I personally think they should have considered the anger, fear, and sadness that she must have felt at the time when they posted the receipt, but I'd be surprised if red lobster ends up firing her or anything like that.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Someone refused to provide a tip to someone due to race. Explain the ignorance of that? The person just saved money. He had an awful reason for saving money, but he still saved money.

If the shoe was on the other foot and the business decided to refuse service to someone due to race, that would have been very ignorant, and we would be in agreement right now.

We don't even know that. The service could have been awful and the waitress rude. That's no excuse for the customers but, again, who cares?

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 09:38 AM
We don't even know that. The service could have been awful and the waitress rude. That's no excuse for the customers but, again, who cares?

That's also true...

Mister D
09-16-2013, 09:38 AM
It should definitely be condemned by the local community there in my opinion. I hope that the residents of that town find it to be disgusting and publicly say so, and I hope the person who did it feels shame for it when it is all said and done. I do think that red lobster should have considered her feelings a little more before they suspended her. I personally think they should have considered the anger, fear, and sadness that she must have felt at the time when they posted the receipt, but I'd be surprised if red lobster ends up firing her or anything like that.

For all we know she could have been a complete asshole to her customers.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 09:39 AM
If you didn't want me to feel anything, then you wouldn't have posted it. I would like to know what the issue is.

This wasn't intended to be long division or rocket science for you; my point is still crystal clear: We still have much ignorance to overcome.

Ignorance is when a racist freely chooses to eat an an establishment where people working at this establishment ... racist dislikes.

Kinda like going to Klan Rally and bitching about the guest speaker ... :rollseyes:

Mister D
09-16-2013, 09:40 AM
This wasn't intended to be long division or rocket science for you; my point is still crystal clear: We still have much ignorance to overcome.

Ignorance is when a racist freely chooses to eat an an establishment where people working at this establishment ... racist dislikes.

Kinda like going to Klan Rally and bitching about the guest speaker ... :rollseyes:

Because someone was called a nigger in Franklin TN. :laugh: Have you informed the UN? Should NATO intervene?

Chloe
09-16-2013, 09:41 AM

True, but her skin color didnt cause it, that's why it's ignorant. I have no problem not tipping someone if they were mean or something, but just write 0.00 and leave.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 09:43 AM

Well if that was true ... then I can see why that would justify the racial part ... :rollseyes:

Naturally bad service comes in only one color ... and rape victims ask for it ... :rollseyes:

... once again ... as proven ... we still have much ignorance to overcome ... :rollseyes:

My Job here is done :sweating:

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 09:43 AM

Really? That's your issue? A racist chooses, at his/her own volition, to shop in an establishment that said racist knows he or she isn't going to like? You were better off not having a point at all.

Anyone is free to partake in any form of commerce in any business. There is nothing ignorant about it.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 09:44 AM
True, but her skin color didnt cause it, that's why it's ignorant. I have no problem not tipping someone if they were mean or something, but just write 0.00 and leave.

Why is this so hard for them to comprehend? :huh:

Venus
09-16-2013, 09:45 AM

From the article:

http://www.addictinginfo.org/2013/09/14/red-lobster-none-ngger-customer-receiving-threats-denies-writing-racial-slur/

Someone will need, or want, to sort out what really happened, now that two sides have been told. That sorting out could very well occur in a court of law, thanks to the pitfalls of Facebook.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 09:45 AM

Like I said, it doesn't excuse the customer but this is news? Someone was called a nigger in Franklin, TN? This is trivial.

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 09:46 AM

Whether or not the skin colour caused it is irrelevant. Customers can deny a tip for any reason. The fact that race was involved is merely inconsequential and doesn't change the trivialities of the situation.

Chloe
09-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Like I said, it doesn't excuse the customer but this is news? Someone was called a nigger in Franklin, TN? This is trivial.

Well no it's not national news but I do think the community should be openly condemning the act.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 09:47 AM
Well if that was true ... then I can see why that would justify the racial part ... :rollseyes:

Naturally bad service comes in only one color ... and rape victims ask for it ... :rollseyes:

... once again ... as proven ... we still have much ignorance to overcome ... :rollseyes:

:laugh: No one justifed anything. Yes, we know that was your attempted point. You're not clever.

Chloe
09-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Whether or not the skin colour caused it is irrelevant. Customers can deny a tip for any reason. The fact that race was involved is merely inconsequential and doesn't change the trivialities of the situation.

No I understand that, but it doesn't excuse the ignorance and meanness of it in my opinion. It's not against the law but its definitely against good character and morals I think.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Someone refused to provide a tip to someone due to race. Explain the ignorance of that? The person just saved money. He had an awful reason for saving money, but he still saved money. Sounds like a smart shopper to me.

Once again: This is what "this Thread" is about .... We still have much ignorance to overcome ...

Writing Niger on a receipt is "ignorant" in my world ... but maybe you're OK with it.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 09:53 AM
No I understand that, but it doesn't excuse the ignorance and meanness of it in my opinion. It's not against the law but it definitely against good character and morals I think.

They are the ones that are standing in the corner with a bucket of paint and a paint brush ... :laugh:

Let's see how they explain why writing Niger on a receipt isn't ignorant in their world. :wink:

Venus
09-16-2013, 09:55 AM

She was "suspended" because she published confidental information which is against policy, she should have gone to management not facebook. But lucky for her she didn't miss a single day of work and she now has a tip jar link you can contribute to if you want.

His claim is someone else added the word "nigger" after he left. Which wouldn't surprise me if it did happen that way, with all of the false accusation of racism lately. I would be more surprise it this story was actually true.

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 09:56 AM
Once again: This is what "this Thread" is about .... We still have much ignorance to overcome ...

Writing Niger on a receipt is "ignorant" in my world ... but maybe you're OK with it.

Then I await your next thread on the ignorance of the Hip-Hop community.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 09:56 AM
No I understand that, but it doesn't excuse the ignorance and meanness of it in my opinion. It's not against the law but it definitely against good character and morals I think.

No one excused it, Chloe. We've said it's a trivial story. It is.

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 09:57 AM
They are the ones that are standing in the corner with a bucket of paint and a paint brush ... :laugh:

Let's see how they explain why writing Niger on a receipt isn't ignorant in their world. :wink:

It's just a word. I've been called much worse, but I don't complain about how ignorant it is. You need a better perspective on life.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 09:57 AM

Chloe
09-16-2013, 09:58 AM
She was "suspended" because she published confidental information which is against policy, she should have gone to management not facebook. But lucky for her she didn't miss a single day of work and she now has a tip jar link you can contribute to if you want.

His claim is someone else added the word "nigger" after he left. Which wouldn't surprise me if it did happen that way, with all of the false accusation of racism lately. I would be more surprise it this story was actually true.

Oh I understand she broke a rule and she probably should have known better but I'm sure she was pretty upset and rightfully so I think. As for the rest of it I guess we will see what happens.

Mister D
It's just a word.

It's a country in Africa, isn't it? :grin:

Mister D
Oh I understand she broke a rule and she probably should have known better but I'm sure she was pretty upset and rightfully so I think. As for the rest of it I guess we will see what happens.

Cigar will keep us fully updated I'm sure. :grin:

Ravi
09-16-2013, 10:00 AM

Did you know her manager actually said to her (paraphrasing) "don't let it get to you, you didn't do anything to deserve that." I was like, wtf???

Venus
09-16-2013, 10:00 AM
Cigar will keep us fully updated I'm sure. :grin:

Unless of course it turns out to be false.

Chloe
09-16-2013, 10:01 AM
It's just a word. I've been called much worse, but I don't complain about how ignorant it is. You need a better perspective on life.

True it is just a word, but when people have apathy towards words like that and acts like that it can easily lead to abuse I think. Like I said its not a national news story or anything but the community should rally around the condemnation of the act in my opinion. As a society it shouldn't be an acceptable way of treating other people. It's not illegal, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be openly condemned so that people know that they shouldn't do things like that.

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 10:02 AM
No I understand that, but it doesn't excuse the ignorance and meanness of it in my opinion. It's not against the law but its definitely against good character and morals I think.

Why is that ignorant? Seems like the profile was spot on, especially since the waitress was upset about it. Would have seemed more ignorant if the waitress wasn't black at all.

Racial epithets have been used against people who have no relation to that particular race. That is indeed ignorant. I fail to see the ignorance here. People are getting upset over very little.

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 10:04 AM
True it is just a word, but when people have apathy towards words like that and acts like that it can easily lead to abuse I think. Like I said its not a national news story or anything but the community should rally around the condemnation of the act in my opinion. As a society it shouldn't be an acceptable way of treating other people. It's not illegal, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be openly condemned so that people know that they shouldn't do things like that.

We do openly condemn racism, but there is very little you can do here.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 10:05 AM

Not all Hip-Hop music is ignorant ... and this Thread has noting to do with Hip-Hop. Is anyone is this thread defending the use of the word Nigger in either music or written on Food Receipts?

So why the diversion ... did you run out of defenses for writhing Nigger on a Receipt?

Ravi
09-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Why is that ignorant? Seems like the profile was spot on, especially since the waitress was upset about it. Would have seemed more ignorant if the waitress wasn't black at all.

Racial epithets have been used against people who have no relation to that particular race. That is indeed ignorant. I fail to see the ignorance here. People are getting upset over very little.
heh, how could it have seemed MORE ignorant if it was never ignorant at all. LMAO

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Not all Hip-Hop music is ignorant ... and this Thread has noting to do with Hip-Hop. Is anyone is this thread defending the use of the word Nigger in either music or written on Food Receipts?

So why the diversion ... did you run out of defenses for writhing Nigger on a Receipt?

Why is hip-hop music's use of the N word not ignorant when writing the N word on a receipt is?

Sooner or later, you'll have to explain how your own logic is suppose to work.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 10:10 AM
We do openly condemn racism, but there is very little you can do here.

Where is anyone asking to do anything about it ...

Once again ... The Statement: "We still have much ignorance to overcome" ... isn't a call for action. It's a "statement" ... would you agree with the "statement" that writing Nigger on a Food Receipt is ignorant? Or is this the way you handle poor food service;

BTW ... no where in the article does the story state that the customer wasn't happy with their food, only their waitress.

AmazonTania
heh, how could it have seemed MORE ignorant if it was never ignorant at all. LMAO

I see your problem: It's your comprehension.

Calling someone a racial slur, when the person has a particular relation to that race doesn't seem very ignorant. On the other hand, calling someone a racial slur when the person has no relation to that particular race at all is more along the lines of ignorant.

Get it now?

Chloe
Why is hip-hop music's use of the N word not ignorant when writing the N word on a receipt is?

In my opinion any use of that word is wrong and shows ignorance regardless of the skin color of the person using it.

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Where is anyone asking to do anything about it ...

Once again ... The Statement: "We still have much ignorance to overcome" ... isn't a call for action. It's a "statement" ... would you agree with the "statement" that writing Nigger on a Food Receipt is ignorant? Or is this the way you handle poor food service;

BTW ... no where in the article does the story state that the customer wasn't happy with their food, only their waitress.

Why is merely writing the word on a receipt ignorant?

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 10:12 AM
In my opinion any use of that word is wrong and shows ignorance regardless of the skin color of the person using it.

It has nothing to do with the skin colour of the people using in. We are just upset that someone, somewhere just wrote it on a receipt and we are suppose to see it as 'ignorant.' No rhyme or reason.

As I have said, it doesn't seem ignorant because supposedly the person it was aimed towards is black. It's not ignorant. It's just wrong.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 10:13 AM

No one in this Thread said the use of the word Nigger isn't ignorant ... can you please point out where anyone is condoning the use?

This Thread is about two specific individuals (one Waitress and one Customer)

If you care to talk about Musicians doing and saying ignorant things ... that's another story.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 10:16 AM
It has nothing to do with the skin colour of the people using in. We are just upset that someone, somewhere just wrote it on a receipt and we are suppose to see it as 'ignorant.' No rhyme or reason.

As I have said, it doesn't seem ignorant because supposedly the person it was aimed towards is black. It's not ignorant. It's just wrong.

Thanks for making that clear ... I now have a clearer picture.

There's clearly no misunderstanding between you and I.

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 10:16 AM
No one in this Thread said the use of the word Nigger isn't ignorant ... can you please point out where anyone is condoning the use?

This Thread is about two specific individuals (one Waitress and one Customer)

If you care to talk about Musicians doing and saying ignorant things ... that's another story.

You said not all Hip-Hop is ignorant. Perhaps you should have been more specific.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 10:19 AM
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/80/78/0c/80780caa9d949c8f4492a9628fd67981.jpg

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks for making that clear ... I now have a clearer picture.

There's clearly no misunderstanding between you and I.

I don't see what possible misunderstand you could have gathered. Mister D and I have already tried to explain that it's not polite to call someone a racial slur. We are trying to get to the bottom of all this pontification.

Why do you believe it's ignorant to write the N word on a receipt? Explain your faulty logic.

Ravi
09-16-2013, 10:22 AM
I see your problem: It's your comprehension.

Calling someone a racial slur, when the person has a particular relation to that race doesn't seem very ignorant. On the other hand, calling someone a racial slur when the person has no relation to that particular race at all is more along the lines of ignorant.

Get it now?

Yeah, I get that you claimed it wasn't ignorant and then slipped up and agreed that it was ignorant.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Rappers seems pretty apathetic. No wonder that rubs off on others.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 10:24 AM

Who has ever defended this?

Chloe
09-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Rappers seems pretty apathetic. No wonder that rubs off on others.

Rappers need to stop as well

Mister D
09-16-2013, 10:26 AM

Can we expect a thread on every rapper that uses the term? Or just when it happens at a Red Lobster in Franklin TN? :grin: Who fucking cares?

Mister D
09-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Chloe This is Cigar's schtick and you should be used to it by now. He posts a trivial story like this and tries to get people to defend "racist" behavior. He always fails and he failed here.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 10:29 AM
I don't see what possible misunderstand you could have gathered. Mister D and I have already tried to explain that it's not polite to call someone a racial slur. We are trying to get to the bottom of all this pontification.

Why do you believe it's ignorant to write the N word on a receipt? Explain your faulty logic.

Not being polite can easily be a form of ignorance ... if you don't believe me, try walking up to a Black person and call them a Nigger.

Then see how quickly ignorance turns into knowledge.

... that may not be right .... but it's reality. :laugh:

Perianne
09-16-2013, 10:30 AM
I wonder what Devin Barnes' friends are saying to him this morning, lol.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 10:52 AM
I wonder what Devin Barnes' friends are saying to him this morning, lol.

Yea ... looks like two different hand writings ... or it could be an inside job or some-other conspiracy.

Either way ... Devin looks harmless ... I would worry about him anyway.

But if I were Devin .. maybe I'd get someone else to taste the soup first.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Can we expect a thread on every rapper that uses the term? Or just when it happens at a Red Lobster in Franklin TN? :grin: Who fucking cares?

Like I said ... there's always a sure fire way to find out; it may not be right ... but it's reality. :wink:

Mister D
09-16-2013, 10:55 AM
His biggest mistake was eating at a dump like Red Lobster

Ravi
09-16-2013, 10:56 AM
His biggest mistake was eating at a dump like Red Lobster45 bucks for two people. Prolly was drinking, not eating.

keymanjim
09-16-2013, 10:59 AM
3) You pay no penalty for falsely accusing people of racism: False accusations of racism can do just as much damage as actual racism. People can be ostracized for it, lose endorsement deals or even lose their jobs over being falsely accused of racism. Yet, the only reason you've heard of people like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Touré, and Melissa Harris-Perry is because they're willing to accuse people of being racists on the flimsiest of pretexts. It's tempting to compare these race-hustling poverty pimps to the KKK, but the more appropriate analogy is the Spanish Inquisition. The attitude is, "So what if we unjustly accuse a lot of people as long as we get a few heretics in the process?"

A more likely scenario is that the waitress gave poor service and was denied a tip for it. Then, knowing that she would receive little of no punishment for her actions, she wrote the word on the receipt and posted it on line in order to garner sympathy and an easy payday.

Yes, cigar. You do have a lot of ignorance to overcome. And, people like me will be here to point out your ignorance to you.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 11:00 AM
His biggest mistake was eating at a dump like Red Lobster

WTF ... the one near me is a nice place and the food was good.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 11:01 AM
WTF ... the one near me is a nice place and the food was good.

The food sucks and if you don't know that you don't understand what good seafood tastes like.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 11:01 AM
45 bucks for two people. Prolly was drinking, not eating.

Wouldn't you?

Venus
09-16-2013, 11:04 AM
The food sucks and if you don't know that you don't understand what good seafood tastes like.

I tend to eat seafood only when I'm in certain areas of the country and a Red Lobster in the middle of Cincinnati Ohio isn't one of them.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 11:04 AM
A more likely scenario is that the waitress gave poor service and was denied a tip for it. Then, knowing that she would receive little of no punishment for her actions, she wrote the word on the receipt and posted it on line in order to garner sympathy and an easy payday.

Yes, cigar. You do have a lot of ignorance to overcome. And, people like me will be here to point out your ignorance to you.

Yea ... you're probable right.

Circle wagons; engage automatic defense systems ... :rollseyes:

I say give it a couple hours and this waitress will be deemed a slut ... if standard protocols aren't ignored. :wink:

Chloe
09-16-2013, 11:05 AM

Actually the best seafood is alive and swimming in the ocean and not on a plate somewhere or in a net. Sorry, I had to throw that out there :)

Mister D
09-16-2013, 11:06 AM
I tend to eat seafood only when I'm in certain areas of the country and a Red Lobster in the middle of Cincinnati Ohio isn't one of them.

Exactly!

Mister D
09-16-2013, 11:08 AM

It's not like it hasn't happened before.

keymanjim
09-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Yea ... you're probable right.

Circle wagons; engage automatic defense systems ... :rollseyes:

I say give it a couple hours and this waitress will be deemed a slut ... if standard protocols aren't ignored. :wink:
There's some more of that ignorance that I pointed out to you.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 11:10 AM
I can't believe how transparent Cigar can be. :laugh:

keymanjim
09-16-2013, 11:13 AM
I can't believe how transparent Cigar can be. :laugh:
Hiding behind his keyboard, he can only damage his own reputation. And a reputation means nothing to a person with no character.

Mister D
09-16-2013, 11:18 AM
Hiding behind his keyboard, he can only damage his own reputation. And a reputation means nothing to a person with no character.

It's just funny how in the midst of failure he insists he's gotten one over on someone. Obviously, the idea was to get people to defend what the guy did. In truth, no one cares. It's a trivial story from a trivial guy.

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I get that you claimed it wasn't ignorant and then slipped up and agreed that it was ignorant.

If that's what you managed to get, that's great. I really don't know of any simpler ways of explaining.

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 11:26 AM
Not being polite can easily be a form of ignorance ... if you don't believe me, try walking up to a Black person and call them a Nigger.

Then see how quickly ignorance turns into knowledge.

... that may not be right .... but it's reality. :laugh:

How is not being polite a form of ignorance? Do you understand what the word ignorance means?

AmazonTania
09-16-2013, 11:27 AM

No. No, they don't.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 11:30 AM

This may come as a surprise to you, but I'm not part of this story ...

My personal take on this story, based entirely and only on what was actually written in it, without speculation ... is that the words, from whoever wrote them, was ignorant, cowardly and childish ... in my personal opinion. If I personally had a problem with an establishments service, the last thing I'd do is eat the meal then pay the "full-bill" with only a childish cowardly remark.

Actually the first thing I'd do, would be to ask to speak to the Manager, because that's what Adults do.

keymanjim
09-16-2013, 11:56 AM
This may come as a surprise to you, but I'm not part of this story ...

You made yourself part of the story.
What was your motivation to post the story? Was it to inform the public? Or, was it to perpetuate the myth of victimhood in the "black community"?

roadmaster
09-16-2013, 12:12 PM

Yes, cigar. You do have a lot of ignorance to overcome. And, people like me will be here to point out your ignorance to you. Well that pretty much looks like what happened. The signer and the other comments is not the same handwriting. Was it the waitress, don't know could have been another person. The point is some people do write hateful messages on receipts, whatever the race of the person, or go and try to get them fired if they are drunk and say something against them because they didn't flirt back. I have seen two black men do the same to a black waitress that was giving them great service and have seen some horrible waitresses that were rude of all races. The best thing to do is to ask for another waitress or let her or him know you will talk to the manager if things don't get better. Most of these people work hard and we all have our bad days. Calling a manager could get her fired so at least try to work with them before you do. It also wasn't smart to post this on her facebook. Unless she witnessed this person writing this, in which she didn't and wasn't the same handwriting she could be the one in serious trouble.

Cigar
09-16-2013, 12:15 PM
How is not being polite a form of ignorance? Do you understand what the word ignorance means?

Definition of ignorance (n)Bing Dictionary

ig·no·rance
[ ígnərənss ]
[/URL]

lack of knowledge: lack of knowledge or education
unawareness: unawareness of something, often of something important

Synonyms: unawareness, [URL="http://www.bing.com/search?q=define+inexperience"]inexperience (http://www.bing.com/th?id=A5uJ9evSXwUotwA100x100&pid=Dictionary), illiteracy, unfamiliarity, obliviousness, witlessness

Cigar
09-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Miss America: Why Racism Thrives Online

Some things evolve and some things don’t. Such is the case with this weekend’s wins of Nina Davuluri and Floyd Mayweather and the tsunami of racism that overtook Twitter in response.

Ladies first. Nina Davuluri is the second consecutive New Yorker to be crowned Miss America and the first Indian-American to win the title. Though Davuluri’s platform was “Celebrating Diversity Through Cultural Competency,” like all of us she is more than the sum of her racial and ethnic identities.

According to CNN, “the 24-year-old Fayetteville, New York, native was on the dean’s list and earned the Michigan Merit Award and National Honor Society nods while studying at the University of Michigan, where she graduated with a degree in brain behavior and cognitive science.” Her goal is to become a physician. Davuluri plans to invest her time as Miss America working with the U.S. Department of Education as an advocate for science, technology, engineering and mathematics. These are fields where women, regardless of racial or ethnic background, are sorely underrepresented.

Davuluri’s feel-good story took a racist turn in the Twitterverse, where some were outraged by the fact that 2014’s Miss America isn’t white. As in 2010, when the Lebanese-American beauty queen Rima Fakih was crowned Miss USA, racism was expressed not just explicitly in the form of tweets, but also in the level of ignorance those tweets exposed. For example, Jezebel reports that some tweeps seemed confused over whether the new Miss America was Indian-American, Arab, Muslim or Latina. They could all agree, however, that she didn’t deserve the title based on whom they thought she was. ...................(more)

The complete piece is at: http://www.truthdig.com/report/item/miss_america_why_racism_thrives_online_20130916/?ln

lynn
09-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Was the girl suspended before or after it was posted on the internet? If she was suspended before, she is justified in sharing it with the public. If she was suspended because she posted it on the internet, I don't blame Red Lobster for suspending her or even firing her because she is putting their reputation on the line.

zelmo1234
09-17-2013, 07:57 AM
... ignorance abounds

A Lot Of People Are Very Upset That An Indian-American Woman Won The Miss America Pageant

When her win was announced, Twitter immediately exploded with hateful tweets, with people calling her Arab.

POOKIE.@Granvil_Colt Follow
And the Arab wins Miss America. Classic.

Jake Amick@jakeamick5 Follow
How the fuck does a foreigner win miss America? She is a Arab! #idiots

http://worldshowbiz.info/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Nina-Davuluri-Miss-New-York-2013.jpg

Who is upset?

Cigar
09-17-2013, 08:05 AM
Who is upset?

Ignorant Ass-Holes

Mister D
09-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Ignorant Ass-Holes

Ignorant of what?

Cigar
09-17-2013, 08:10 AM
http://sethandray.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/reading_is_fundamental.jpg

Mister D
09-17-2013, 08:19 AM
You have no idea, do you?

Cigar
09-17-2013, 08:23 AM
You have no idea, do you?

Yea DS ... can't you read Twitter or do you need someone to read it for you?

Mister D
09-17-2013, 08:27 AM
Yea DS ... can't you read Twitter or do you need someone to read it for you?

Sorry, I don't read Twitter. If you can't muster up an answer no worries.

roadmaster
09-17-2013, 04:30 PM
Lot Of People Are Very Upset That An Indian-American Woman Won The Miss America Pageant
Not sure why,she looks pretty to me.

roadmaster
09-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Sorry, I don't read Twitter. If you can't muster up an answer no worries.

Me either but come on she could have been white as snow or any quote race and people will still say crap.

Libhater
09-19-2013, 03:59 PM
You think maybe the waitress was a bitch and that she not only didn't deserve a tip but more than likely should have been fired long ago? Just asking. Blacks do have a history of being lazy and confrontational...do they not?

Ravi
09-19-2013, 05:21 PM
You think maybe the waitress was a bitch and that she not only didn't deserve a tip but more than likely should have been fired long ago? Just asking. Blacks do have a history of being lazy and confrontational...do they not?
Some. So do some rightwingloons. Do you have a point?

Libhater
09-19-2013, 05:46 PM
Some. So do some rightwingloons. Do you have a point?

Right wingers are not confrontational. Obviously my point that the bitch should have been fired in the first place flew right over the cuckoo's head.

Ravi
09-19-2013, 05:51 PM
Right wingers are not confrontational. Obviously my point that the bitch should have been fired in the first place flew right over the cuckoo's head.
LOL! Based on no evidence you make that claim. And yeah, you are as confrontational as it gets. I'm beginning to think you are a democrat playing a rightwingnutter on the internet.

Dr. Who
09-19-2013, 08:54 PM

Perhaps the issue is that the young lady has been suspended, not because of her own actions, but those of another - her father. Further that her employer would have the temerity to suspend her to begin with, over what is a clearly obnoxiously racist situation that upset her and hence her father. Who decides what is newsworthy?

Dr. Who
09-19-2013, 08:56 PM

And she should have been fired for what exactly?

Dr. Who
09-19-2013, 08:57 PM

Assumption made without facts.

Cigar
09-19-2013, 09:04 PM

Dont worry, only Internet cowards talk that type of bull shit.

I'd pay to see a puzzy like him say that to any Black persons face, especially to me.

keymanjim
09-19-2013, 09:07 PM
That's why he used the word "maybe" in his post, dingus.

Dr. Who
09-19-2013, 09:10 PM
Dont worry, only Internet cowards talk that type of bull shit.

I'd pay to see a puzzy like him say that to any Black persons face, especially to me.
Some people want to believe the worst of others - it's so much easier than having to be objective.

shaarona
09-20-2013, 05:56 AM
The waitress didn't write that, did she?

Libhater
09-20-2013, 11:55 AM
That's why he used the word "maybe" in his post, dingus.

Yeah, these guys are a real scream. Looks like I upset a couple of thin-skinned overly sensitive reactionaries from the denial club.