PDA

View Full Version : WikiPedia To Be Blacked Out Over Anti-Piracy Bill.....

MMC
01-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Wikipedia will black out the English language version of its website Wednesday to protest anti-piracy legislation under consideration in Congress, the foundation behind the popular community-based online encyclopedia said in a statement Monday night.

The website will go dark for 24 hours in an unprecedented move that brings added muscle to a growing base of critics of the legislation. Wikipedia is considered one of the Internet's most popular websites, with millions of visitors daily.

"If passed, this legislation will harm the free and open Internet and bring about new tools for censorship of international websites inside the United States," the Wikimedia foundation said.

The Stop Online Piracy Act in the U.S. House of Representatives and the Protect Intellectual Property Act under consideration in the Senate are designed to crack down on sales of pirated U.S. products overseas.

Supporters include the film and music industry, which often sees its products sold illegally. They say the legislation is needed to protect intellectual property and jobs.

Critics say the legislation could hurt the technology industry and infringe on free-speech rights. Among their concerns are provisions that would weaken cyber-security for companies and hinder domain access rights.

Tech companies such as Google, Facebook, Yahoo, Twitter, eBay, AOL and others have spoken out against the legislation and said it threatens the industry's livelihood. Several online communities such as Reddit, Boing Boing and others have announced plans to go dark in protest as well.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/wikipedia-blacked-over-anti-piracy-bill-033057102.html
Associated Press – 53 mins ago<<<<<More here!

Looks like there will be quit a few sites going down. I heard Google was going to shut down as well. The Obama Administrations say they don't like some things in the bill and he has offered to go thru to help. How would this bill be applied to NDAA and the Patriot Act?

Mister D
01-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Good Lord...find another website to get false information from. :laugh:

MMC
01-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Good Lord...find another website to get false information from. :laugh:

What the hell are you talking about.....find another site to get false information from? All other news sources get their shit from the AP and Rueters. Thats for all American Media Sources!!!!!

Mister D
01-17-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm talking about Wikipedia. :rollseyes:

Conley
01-17-2012, 01:15 PM
Ha! Now now gentlemen, let's not get testy.

MMC
01-17-2012, 01:20 PM
I'm talking about Wikipedia. :rollseyes:

Huh? Oh, I see. What about the others that say they are going to do the same. I was just looking at all that were saying that don't support the bill that are going to black out their sites. plus if Google does it, won't that affect the Web?

Conley
01-17-2012, 01:23 PM
If Google does it people would definitely notice. Not so sure about "Boing Boing:.

MMC
01-17-2012, 01:39 PM
If Google does it people would definitely notice. Not so sure about "Boing Boing:.

Twitter, Ebay, and Facebook as well as AOL. I don't know if they will shut down but they can do that social networking thing. So what about the bill itself and in Connection with the Patriot Act and NDAA. Or does it even have a connection to those Acts. Plus what Wikipedia says it it is only shutting down their Sites that are in English.

Looks like the Brits and the Aussies are SOL too. :laugh:

Conley
01-17-2012, 01:41 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with NDAA. I think it's copyright - if a corporation says that a website has their material on it then the website gets shut down no questions asked. It is the responsibility of the website then to prove they are not guilty. Basically it is internet censorship by the corporations.

MMC
01-17-2012, 02:28 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with NDAA. I think it's copyright - if a corporation says that a website has their material on it then the website gets shut down no questions asked. It is the responsibility of the website then to prove they are not guilty. Basically it is internet censorship by the corporations.

Thanks CL.....I was trying to establish that Correlation or seeing if it went deeper. But don't you think it ties in with the aspect of Freedom of Speech Laws?

Pendragon
01-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Freedom of Speech is dying in America and nary a citizen will lift a finger to help her.

MMC
01-17-2012, 02:49 PM
Freedom of Speech is dying in America and nary a citizen will lift a finger to help her.

True Dat.....good Sir! :wink:

Mister D
01-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Pen we agree once again!

Conley
01-17-2012, 03:12 PM
:shocked:

Alias
01-17-2012, 03:15 PM
Wikipedia is not a scholarly site. Wikipedia is not accepted by most teachers and professors as an acceptable source since it can be edited by anyone.

The FOUNDER of Wikipedia stated that his site should not be used for college papers as a source for information since most college professors will not accept it.

Mister D
01-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Wikipedia is useful for non-controversial subjects. It's totally unreliable for current events and anything controversial.

MMC
01-17-2012, 03:21 PM
:shocked:

Ditto.....:shocked:!!!!!

Mister D
01-17-2012, 07:46 PM
I use Wikipedia all the time, actually. Just not for anything controversial.

Conley
01-17-2012, 07:52 PM
Wikipedia is not a scholarly site. Wikipedia is not accepted by most teachers and professors as an acceptable source since it can be edited by anyone.

The FOUNDER of Wikipedia stated that his site should not be used for college papers as a source for information since most college professors will not accept it.

I would never use that kind of thing for a term paper. Interestingly they now have businesses online which get hired by students to write the papers for them.

Mister D
01-17-2012, 08:28 PM
I would never use that kind of thing for a term paper. Interestingly they now have businesses online which get hired by students to write the papers for them.

Most of the articles have reliable sources listed at the bottom.

Conley
01-17-2012, 08:39 PM
Most of the articles have reliable sources listed at the bottom.

Definitely, it's good to start with those sources and then look at their bibliographies. Of course I don't write many papers these days. :laugh:

Mister D
01-17-2012, 08:40 PM
Definitely, it's good to start with those sources and then look at their bibliographies. Of course I don't write many papers these days. :laugh:

Been many moons for me too. :grin: Like I said, a good rule of thumb is to use other resources for controversial subjects.