PDA

View Full Version : The Surprising Link Between Trust and Racism

Mister D
09-26-2013, 10:14 AM
Racism is the wrong term to use but it is an interesting study nonetheless.

---

Snip

Trusting people essentially means assuming they are what they seem to be, which, if we don’t actually know the person, can lead us to rely on stereotypes. It’s a form of complacency. Not trusting someone means we’re not sure if a person is what they seem to be or not, and that makes us pay close attention to the actual information we have rather than vague generalities.

The Dutch psychologist Carsten K.W. De Dreu has found that oxytocin, the so-called “love hormone” that drives mothers to bond with their newborns and may play a role in romantic love, also has the effect of making people more ethnocentric. People given doses of oxytocin, he found, tended to discount the value of the lives of those of different ethnicities. The impressive human capacity for connection and cohesion, in other words, is difficult to disentangle from the tendency to create an out-group against which to unite.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-09-23/racist-sexist-and-other-biased-assumptions-linked-to-trust

Cigar
09-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Ms. Jane Elliott's "brown eyes, blue eyes" experiment in 1970 (the third one after her first in 1968).

This "Eye of Storm" documentary was made by William Peters in 1970 for ABC News and later included in the documentary "A Class Divided" (1985), which included a class reunion (of 1984.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeK759FF84s&feature=player_detailpage

It's one thing to talk and write about it ... and then there's another thing to actually live it. :wink:

Mister D
09-26-2013, 11:31 AM
:huh:

Cigar
09-26-2013, 11:33 AM
:huh:

Game-Set-Match

Mister D
09-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Seriously...:huh:

Alyosha
09-26-2013, 11:34 AM
It's a good thing most people born after 1980 aren't like this because then when everyone who was a hippie in the 60s or danced at Studio 54 in the 70's dies off we won't have to hear people even mention racism.

Guess what people? Kids today date across race lines. Gay kids and transgender kids are elected homecoming queen. We don't care about your baggage and bullshit. Wake up to the new world where social media connects people and dispels old myths.

If you oldies didn't create racial tension and drama just to stay relevant we'd never have to think about it at all.

Mister D
09-26-2013, 11:37 AM
It's a good thing most people born after 1980 aren't like this because then when everyone who was a hippie in the 60s or danced at Studio 54 in the 70's dies off we won't have to hear people even mention racism.

Guess what people? Kids today date across race lines. Gay kids and transgender kids are elected homecoming queen. We don't care about your baggage and bullshit. Wake up to the new world where social media connects people and dispels old myths.

If you oldies didn't create racial tension and drama just to stay relevant we'd never have to think about it at all.

The study, among others, suggests the "baggage" is at least partly genetic. Did you have a comment on the study?

Cigar
09-26-2013, 11:39 AM

The Races are mixing faster than the Racist. :laugh:

Soon everyone will have Flavor :grin:

Mister D
09-26-2013, 11:40 AM
The Races are mixing faster than the Racist. :laugh:

Soon everyone will have Flavor :grin:

Actually, considering the great diversity of American society the rate of admixture is quite low.

Alyosha
09-26-2013, 11:41 AM
The study, among others, suggests the "baggage" is at least partly genetic. Did you have a comment on the study?

You're describing the Germany study about artificially creating "distrust" to engender more skeptical, "reasonable" thinking, yes?

Where is the genetic quality? Do you mean oxytocin? It's in all breast milk and is released during all vaginal births.

Alyosha
09-26-2013, 11:43 AM
By "this" I mean race obsessed. I'm so sick of discussing race and race issues, so forgive me for my snippiness. We're drowning in debt, we have a rising police state but racism and Miley Cyrus fills the air.

I should have just not posted, forgive me.

Mister D
09-26-2013, 11:44 AM
You're describing the Germany study about artificially creating "distrust" to engender more skeptical, "reasonable" thinking, yes?

Where is the genetic quality? Do you mean oxytocin? It's in all breast milk and is released during all vaginal births.

:rollseyes: Would you prefer ingrained? Hardwired? Or would you like to obfuscate further?

Mister D
09-26-2013, 11:45 AM
By "this" I mean race obsessed. I'm so sick of discussing race and race issues, so forgive me for my snippiness. We're drowning in debt, we have a rising police state but racism and Miley Cyrus fills the air.

Yet you are here discussing it. Funny that. Right, you shouldn't have posted but something tells me you will continue.

Alyosha
09-26-2013, 11:46 AM
:rollseyes: Would you prefer ingrained? Hardwired? Or would you like to obfuscate further?

I agree with the premise of the behavioral study that skepticism is "good".

jillian
09-26-2013, 11:48 AM

i'm with you on the miley cyrus thing.

but when a group of people vociferously engages in behavior that can be construed as wanting to turn back the clock on race and gender issues, the people affected are not going to allow it to happen quietly.

just how it is.

Cigar
09-26-2013, 11:50 AM

Life Experiences Count ... without them ... we're all alike

Alyosha
09-26-2013, 11:55 AM
i'm with you on the miley cyrus thing.

but when a group of people vociferously engages in behavior that can be construed as wanting to turn back the clock on race and gender issues, the people affected are not going to allow it to happen quietly.

just how it is.

We are not culturally even close to the same nation we were in the 1950s. Young people are "over it". They just are. The under 35 crowd are all mixing it up. You could pull AA laws and wouldn't see a difference.

I know its exciting to remember all the good people did and fighting the good fight, but I doubt you'd find more than a scant handful of nutjobs who care about race who grew up in the 1980s.

Our generation is the one where Michael Jackson was an idol for little kids in elementary school, where Michael Jordon was the SHIT in high school. Eminem was a white kid who wanted to be a black kid.

It's just not the same. Just not the same at all. Even the Zimmerman thing was made up by the media. Jesus, he's a Latino. If he shot a white guy it would have been: that Latino dude shot a white kid. He wouldn't even be "white" if the media hadn't wanted him to me to push some stupid narrative. Trayvon had white girlfriends. Zimmerman was Latino and Jewish. My god if that don't tell you that the nation has changed I don't know what will except maybe a two term black president.

Mister D
09-26-2013, 11:55 AM
I agree with the premise of the behavioral study that skepticism is "good".

Depends on the circumstances. In any case, the study is suggestive of some hardwiring or some ingrained or inherited psychology. We tend to stereotype. That's what human beings do. Categorization, which stereotyping is a form of, is essential to our lives. Ironically (and this is where the study is of some interest), the more mistrustful we are of other people the less we stereotype. The more trusting we are of other people the more we rely on stereotypes.

I thought it was an interesting piece. Nothing to get in a twist over.

Alyosha
09-26-2013, 12:00 PM
Depends on the circumstances. In any case, the study is suggestive of some hardwiring or some ingrained or inherited psychology. We tend to stereotype. That's what human beings do. Categorization, which stereotyping is a form of, is essential to our lives. Ironically (and this is where the study is of some interest), the more mistrustful we are of other people the less we stereotype. The more trusting we are of other people the more we rely on stereotypes.

Mister D I agree. The science IS interesting and I do agree with that. If we are not questioning, if we are not skeptical, then we put too much trust in cultural mores and stereotypes.

Thank you for posting it. It was the oxytocin that grabbed me because I'm not sure that does have anything to do with it, but...I'm still interested in the topic now I got off my rant. :D

Cigar
09-26-2013, 12:00 PM

Well according to your post every week ... all Black People who live in Illinois, live in the eight square blocks on the Chicago South side. :laugh:

Hows that for stereotyping and categorizing? :rollseyes:

Mister D
09-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Well according to your post every week ... all Black People who live in Illinois, live in the eight square blocks on the Chicago South side. :laugh:

Hows that for stereotyping and categorizing? :rollseyes:

Could you cite these posts? I'll wait.

Cigar
09-26-2013, 12:02 PM
@Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4) I agree. The science IS interesting and I do agree with that. If we are not questioning, if we are not skeptical, then we put too much trust in cultural mores and stereotypes.

Thank you for posting it. It was the oxytocin that grabbed me because I'm not sure that does have anything to do with it, but...I'm still interested in the topic now I got off my rant. :D

I wonder if in comes in a Six-Pack :laugh:

http://tribalinsight.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/oxytocin.gif

Cigar
09-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Could you cite these posts? I'll wait.

Yes you will wait ... :wink:

Mister D
09-26-2013, 12:05 PM
@Mister D (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=4) I agree. The science IS interesting and I do agree with that. If we are not questioning, if we are not skeptical, then we put too much trust in cultural mores and stereotypes.

Yeah, I thought the oxy part was interesting but it seemd to veer away from the study in question. Anyway, what is life without trust? As the article suggests it would be miserable. We seem to have inherited psychological traits that go against the grain of the contemporary zeitgeist.

Mister D
09-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Yes you will wait ... :wink:

No doubt. You are dismissed.

Alyosha
09-26-2013, 12:06 PM
I wonder if in comes in a Six-Pack :laugh:

http://tribalinsight.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/oxytocin.gif

If it does I'm going down to the corner store for a multiple orgasm pack.

Cigar
09-26-2013, 12:07 PM

:smiley_ROFLMAO: That's good

Alyosha
09-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Yeah, I thought the oxy part was interesting but it seemd to veer away from the study in question. Anyway, what is life without trust? As the article suggests it would be miserable. We seem to have inherited psychological traits that go against the grain of the contemporary zeitgeist.

Verify and then trust. There are many people I trust and would trust with my life. If they told me something I wouldn't question it because I have "verified their account".

jillian
09-26-2013, 12:39 PM

that's actually kinda funny. and there's a bit of truth to it. this generation certainly cares less about what someone's race or sexuality is.

but there are those people who've been taught since day one that the white guy is being victimized... and there are still people who do the race hustle dance on both sides of the color divide.

Cthulhu
09-26-2013, 08:50 PM

Either that or hideous uteral cramping will can last for hours, potentially days. They gave some to my wife to induce labor. Life was not a rosy as you'd think.