PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court Sides with Church 9-0 in Landmark First Amendment Ruling

wingrider
01-21-2012, 04:36 PM
For Immediate Release January 11, 2012
Today the Supreme Court decided its most important religious liberty case in twenty years, Hosanna-Tabor Evangelical Lutheran Church and School v. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. The government lost 9-nothing as the Court unanimously rejected its narrow view of religious liberty as “extreme,” “untenable” and “remarkable.”

The unanimous decision adopted the Becket Fund’s arguments, saying that religious groups should be free from government interference when they choose their leaders. The church, Hosanna-Tabor, was represented by The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty and Professor Douglas Laycock, University of Virginia Law School. For years, churches have relied on a “ministerial exception” which protects them from employment discrimination lawsuits by their ministers.
http://www.becketfund.org/supreme-court-sides-with-church-in-landmark-first-amendment-ruling/

wow .. I am impressed , a unanimous decicision by teh Supreme court that the Government cannot tell achurch who it can fire or fire. I mean they actually followedthe constitution and cited the reasons why the feds are in the wrong.. maybe there is a glimmer of hope left in ths country after all.

MMC
01-21-2012, 04:40 PM
Well.....I wouldn't get to excited yet. But it is a start!

Conley
01-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Hey buddy, good to see you Wing.

I agree it's positive news. It's more and more unusual to see a 9-0 vote too I believe.

Mister D
01-21-2012, 04:50 PM
The government is so obviously wrong I'm surprised they brought the case.

Conley
01-21-2012, 04:59 PM
Yes, wouldn't it have been dismissed before getting to this point?

MMC
01-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Where did it come from with the Appeals?

Mister D
01-21-2012, 05:34 PM
I would think this would have been tossed out right away. I'm heading out to a bar for some wings but I'm going to look into this a bit further. I'm curious.

roadmaster
01-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Good news, about time. Thanks Wing