PDA

View Full Version : Egypt's Islamists Win 75% of Parliament.....

MMC
01-21-2012, 05:39 PM
CAIRO (AP) — Final results on Saturday showed that Islamist parties won nearly three-quarters of the seats in parliament in Egypt's first elections since the ouster of authoritarian president Hosni Mubarak, according to election officials and political groups.

In the vote for the lower house of parliament, a coalition led by the fundamentalist Muslim Brotherhood won 47 percent, or 235 seats in the 498-seat parliament. The ultraconservative Al-Nour Party was second with 25 percent, or 125 seats.

The Salafi Al-Nour, which was initially the biggest surprise of the vote, wants to impose strict Islamic law in Egypt, while the more moderate Brotherhood, the country's best-known and organized party, has said publicly that it does not seek to force its views about an appropriate Islamic lifestyle on Egyptians.

The United States long shunned Islamist groups like the Muslim Brotherhood and turned a blind-eye to the arrest and torture of Salafis, who now comprise the bulk of Al-Nour Party's constituents, under Mubarak, who was a longtime U.S. ally.

However, top U.S. officials from the State Department have recently met with the Muslim Brotherhood's leaders, who have in turn assured Western officials that they respect minority rights and support democracy.

A White House statement said that President Barack Obama called Egypt's ruling military leader, Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, on Friday and welcomed the historic seating of the lower house of Egypt's Parliament, which is set to convene for the first time on Monday.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/egypts-islamists-win-75-percent-parliament-204439518.html
Associated Press – 1 hr 20 mins ago<<<<< More here!

Can you say.....Obama and the Dems.....FAIL!!!!! :angry:

Mister D
01-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Mubarak may start looking a lot better soon.

roadmaster
01-21-2012, 05:44 PM
We knew this was going to happen. It's worse than ever.

MMC
01-21-2012, 05:57 PM
However, top U.S. officials from the State Department have recently met with the Muslim Brotherhood's leaders, who have in turn assured Western officials that they respect minority rights and support democracy.....snip~

Just how do those Sunni respect the minority Shia rights? :rollseyes:

roadmaster
01-21-2012, 06:13 PM
They want us to keep giving them money and will say anything but we all know it's a bunch of bull.

Mister D
01-21-2012, 08:06 PM
However, top U.S. officials from the State Department have recently met with the Muslim Brotherhood's leaders, who have in turn assured Western officials that they respect minority rights and support democracy.....snip~

Just how do those Sunni respect the minority Shia rights? :rollseyes:

But will the respect French rights? :wink:

Conley
01-21-2012, 08:17 PM
:shocked:

MMC
01-21-2012, 11:17 PM
But will the respect French rights? :wink:

What it tells me is they will respect the rights of Minorities only when they deem they have to. They also consider women a Minority.

Alias
01-22-2012, 01:06 PM
The exact identity of the person who coined the expression "Islamofascism" isn't crystal-clear. But the late Christopher Hitchens should be given credit for defining the term.

The most obvious points of comparison (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/fighting_words/2007/10/defending_islamofascism.html) would be these: Both movements are based on a cult of murderous violence that exalts death and destruction and despises the life of the mind. ("Death to the intellect! Long live death!" as Gen. Francisco Franco's sidekick Gonzalo Queipo de Llano so pithily phrased it.) Both are hostile to modernity (except when it comes to the pursuit of weapons), and both are bitterly nostalgic for past empires and lost glories. Both are obsessed with real and imagined "humiliations" and thirsty for revenge. Both are chronically infected with the toxin of anti-Jewish paranoia (interestingly, also, with its milder cousin, anti-Freemason paranoia). Both are inclined to leader worship and to the exclusive stress on the power of one great book. Both have a strong commitment to sexual repression-especially to the repression of any sexual "deviance"-and to its counterparts the subordination of the female and contempt for the feminine. Both despise art and literature as symptoms of degeneracy and decadence; both burn books and destroy museums and treasures.

Hitchens hit the nail on the head with respect to the cultural and political parallels in the concept Islamofascism. But the thing is that even though Hitchens perspicaciously pinpointed lines of convergence between Islam and fascism, the fact remains that fascism, in the strictest sense, is a narrow and even myopic political idea which emerged in the 20th century and has since expired.

Read more: http://www.americant...l#ixzz1kDAUbHp1 (http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/01/understanding_islamofascism.html#ixzz1kDAUbHp1)

MMC
01-22-2012, 03:12 PM
One other difference.....the Sunni will use the west to make the gains needed in order to survive in the big bad world. Whereas the Shia won't!

wingrider
01-22-2012, 07:30 PM
any and all Cristians had better FLEE Egypt as fast as they can.. this will mean sharia law and the murder of countless Christians.

Mister D
01-22-2012, 07:33 PM
any and all Cristians had better FLEE Egypt as fast as they can.. this will mean sharia law and the murder of countless Christians.

Egypt is home to one of the oldest Christian communities in the world. They have been subject to violence for centuries. Nothing new here.

wingrider
01-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Egypt is home to one of the oldest Christian communities in the world. They have been subject to violence for centuries. Nothing new here.

ever heard of escalation.. look these islamofacist want nothing more than an islamic caliphate and absoulte rule in the middle east.. you can poo poo the facts but you cannot change them.

Mister D
01-22-2012, 07:41 PM
ever heard of escalation.. look these islamofacist want nothing more than an islamic caliphate and absoulte rule in the middle east.. you can poo poo the facts but you cannot change them.

Not sure why you take everything as a challenge but whatever. Anyway, it's never been easy for Christians in Muslim Egypt. Nothing new here.

wingrider
01-22-2012, 07:47 PM
I don't take EVERYTHING as a challenge , but when it comes to radical islam I take it very seriously..

Elibe
01-22-2012, 07:54 PM

you are right mr rider

Elibe
01-22-2012, 07:58 PM
still it is not in my opinion obamas fault

egypt was lost no matter what he did so i dont see why mmc blames him for everything

Mister D
01-22-2012, 08:09 PM
I don't take EVERYTHING as a challenge , but when it comes to radical islam I take it very seriously..

So do I. It's always been rough for Christian communities in the Muslim world or at least for a long while now. I don't think there will be any sea change here.

MMC
01-22-2012, 08:15 PM
still it is not in my opinion obamas fault

egypt was lost no matter what he did so i dont see why mmc blames him for everything

Because Elibe it was Obama that called for Mubarak to step down. It was the Demos like John Kerry that put forth legislation for nation building and infrastructure with Egypt. To throw out money so they can see Democracy in action in Egypt. Look at the articles and our dealings with the MB. Look how Mubarak kept them in check. Trading out one lesser evil for one that no one knows what will be taking place. Is not IMO a good choice!

Plus I think you have heard me bitch about the US giving them any of our Military Tech. That would be Demos or Repubs. But giving gobs of money to Egypt so they can have their Democratic Elections. I believe that should be stopped immediately. Let the Egyptians print up their own money and pay for their own shit.

Elibe
01-22-2012, 08:17 PM
you think mubarak stepped down because obama asked him to?

come on

MMC
01-22-2012, 08:44 PM
you think mubarak stepped down because obama asked him to?

come on

No it doesnt really matter with that.....it matters with Obama and the dealing with the Military and the Interim government and the giving out of that money for their elections. 70 million US currency just for that alone. It also goes with talks with the MB. Plus the giving of Military Aid.

The Bigger picture is also the Suez Canal.....now you think what that entails coming under control of Muslims that are Extremists.

Elibe
01-22-2012, 09:21 PM
No it doesnt really matter with that.....it matters with Obama and the dealing with the Military and the Interim government and the giving out of that money for their elections. 70 million US currency just for that alone. It also goes with talks with the MB. Plus the giving of Military Aid.

The Bigger picture is also the Suez Canal.....now you think what that entails coming under control of Muslims that are Extremists.

if it doesn't matter why did you write it?

MMC
01-22-2012, 09:30 PM
if it doesn't matter why did you write it?

Well it is the President of the US telling another leader of a Country to step down. So It does matter in that regard. The whole World knows it was Obama. Obama is the one that continues to implement the policy correct? Does he not state my Foreign policy etc etc?

Conley
01-22-2012, 09:36 PM
He also told Assad to step down. Not sure about Gaddafi, but he probably did then too.

I'm betting both Bushes did that to Hussein but it's a strange habit of Obama. Maybe he'll say it to Putin next. :laugh:

MMC
01-22-2012, 09:46 PM
He also told Assad to step down. Not sure about Gaddafi, but he probably did then too.

I'm betting both Bushes did that to Hussein but it's a strange habit of Obama. Maybe he'll say it to Putin next. :laugh:

Yep Assad and Gadhafi, Gbagbo in the Ivory Coast. Backed the Democracy rising in Tunisia to. Talks with the MB for Egypt, For Libya, for Syria, cmon give me a break. :rollseyes: