PDA

View Full Version : The Pie Thread

oceanloverOH
10-03-2013, 05:00 PM
For dessert tonight (this one isn't my recipe; it came off the box of Dream Whip):

Lower Sugar Coconut Dream Pie

2 envelopes DREAM WHIP Whipped Topping Mix
2-1/2 cups cold milk, divided (divided 1 cup and 1-1/2 cups)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
1 large package 6-serving size Sugar-Free JELL-O Vanilla Instant Pudding
1¼ cups sweetened shredded coconut, toasted (divided 1 cup and ¼ cup)
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
1 frozen 9" deep-dish pie crust (or 2 smaller 8" pie crusts)
Cool Whip Free

Prick and bake pie crust(s) according to package directions. Allow to cool on wire rack.

Beat 2 envelopes Dream Whip, 1 cup milk, vanilla and coconut extracts in large bowl with mixer on high speed 6 min or until soft peaks form.

Add remaining milk and dry pudding mix; beat on low speed until blended; then beat on high speed 2 min, stopping occasionally to scrape bottom and side of bowl. Stir in 1 cup toasted coconut and nuts. Spoon into crust. Serve with a dollop of Cool Whip sprinkled with toasted coconut.

REFRIGERATE 4 hours or until firm.
YIELD: 2 smaller 8" pies or 1 very full 9" deep-dish pie

How to Toast Coconut
Heat oven to 350°. Spread coconut in shallow pan. Bake 7 to 10 min. or until lightly browned, stirring frequently.

Common
10-03-2013, 09:58 PM
My wife makes us apple and blueberry pies and I make the pumpkin pies all from scratch.

oceanloverOH
10-03-2013, 10:04 PM
My wife makes us apple and blueberry pies and I make the pumpkin pies all from scratch.

Do you use anything else besides sugar to sweeten any of your pies, Common? I'm always on the lookout for low-carb stuff because of my diabetes.....and would love a from-scratch recipe!

Common
10-04-2013, 04:10 AM
Powdered splenda in the bag, it works fine in baking

Cool....can I have recipes, pweeeeeeeeeeeeeeze?

Captain Obvious
10-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Sauerkraut pie

Two cans of kraut, stick of butter, large chopped onion, pound of sweet breakfast sausage (bulk), pot pie crust.

Fry everything until well browned together (brown and drain sausage first). You can make pot pie crust - it's basically shortening and flour or you can buy it frozen. Stuff pie with stuff and bake until it looks done.

Good shit!

Alyosha
10-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Mom's Sharlotka

6 large, tart apples, such as Granny Smiths
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
Powdered sugar, also to finish

Preheat over to 350 degrees

In a springform pan (easiest) line it with baking parchment and cooking spray. Peel and chop the 6 apples and drop them into the pan. Use the remaining ingredients (except powdered sugar) to make a batter which you will pour over the apples. Make sure there are no exposed apples then bake for 55-60 minutes (test it at 55).

Take out, cool and dust with powdered sugar.

You will thank me.

Dangermouse
10-04-2013, 05:02 PM
Yay pies! It's not real food unless wrapped in pastry!

oceanloverOH
10-04-2013, 05:17 PM
Mom's Sharlotka

3 large eggs
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour

In a springform pan (easiest) line it with baking parchment and cooking spray. Peel and chop the 6 apples and drop them into the pan. Use the remaining ingredients (except powdered sugar) to make a batter which you will pour over the apples. Make sure there are no exposed apples then bake for 55-60 minutes (test it at 55).

You will thank me.

DAYUM, that sounds good. Do you think it might be OK using granulated splenda instead of sugar, Alyosha? I really want to try this one.....

Codename Section
10-04-2013, 05:18 PM
DAYUM, that sounds good. Do you think it might be OK using granulated splenda instead of sugar, @Alyosha (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=863)? I really want to try this one.....

She's sleeping but I say go for it. That shit is tight!
oceanloverOH

i actually tried this recipe and i think you should add a little water.

oceanloverOH
10-04-2013, 05:21 PM
She's sleeping but I say go for it. That shit is tight!
oceanloverOH

i actually tried this recipe and i think you should add a little water.

Bili wasn't low enough for hospital release like she was hoping today?

Dr. Who
10-04-2013, 05:27 PM
Mom's Sharlotka

3 large eggs
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup all-purpose flour

You will thank me.

My mom's sharlotka is a bit different. She uses a sweet short crust in a loaf pan and fills with chopped apples, cinnamon, and brown sugar etc, and then covers with more short crust.

Codename Section
10-04-2013, 05:31 PM
Bili wasn't low enough for hospital release like she was hoping today?

No. :(

Codename Section
10-04-2013, 05:33 PM
My mom's sharlotka is a bit different. She uses a sweet short crust in a loaf pan and fills with chopped apples, cinnamon, and brown sugar etc, and then covers with more short crust.

Here mom grew up in Leningrad/St. Petersburg so maybe they make it different there?

Dr. Who
10-04-2013, 05:49 PM
Here mom grew up in Leningrad/St. Petersburg so maybe they make it different there?
Probably. My mother's is the Polish version.

momsapplepie
10-16-2013, 11:05 PM
This one is a hit for the fall season
Maple Pumpkin Pie
Single pie crust
1 15 oz. Can pumpkin puree
2/3 cup pure Maple syrup
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs slightly beaten
3/4 cup milk
Preheat oven to 375
for filling,
in a large bowl combine pumpkin, maple syrup, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt.
Add eggs: beat lightly with a fork until combined. Gradually add milk. Stir to combine.
Carefully pour filling into pie shell. To prevent overbrowning, cover edges of crust with foil or pie shield.
Bake for 30 mins. Remove foil or shield. Bake 25-30 mins more or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
Cool on wire rack. Cover: chill 2 hours.
Top with whipped cream topping and Salted Pecan brittle if desired.

oceanloverOH
10-17-2013, 07:35 AM
That sounds really good, Moms.....I could sub SF syrup and splenda brown sugar here. No cinnamon or nutmeg or pumpkin pie spice in this one?

momsapplepie
10-17-2013, 01:33 PM
No spices added. The maple syrup makes up the difference. I personally have added a little nutmeg and cinnamon, but I didn't taste much difference.

junie
10-17-2013, 01:43 PM
hmm interesting...so basically you replace the usual molasses with maple syrup.

momsapplepie
10-17-2013, 02:03 PM
yes. The flavor of the maple is an exquisite foil to the pumpkin.

junie
10-17-2013, 02:12 PM
i like the idea and i will be sure to try it during my annual thanksgiving pie making extravaganza!

momsapplepie
10-17-2013, 04:29 PM
good luck! you'll love it!

oceanloverOH
10-18-2013, 03:55 PM
I made a caramel/butterscotch cream pie for tonight (low-sugar/low carb ingredients); just started throwing things in. I hope it's good!

momsapplepie
10-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Butterscotch pie is AWESOME! never did the caramel in it though. Sounds good!

KC
10-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Sauerkraut pie

Two cans of kraut, stick of butter, large chopped onion, pound of sweet breakfast sausage (bulk), pot pie crust.

Fry everything until well browned together (brown and drain sausage first). You can make pot pie crust - it's basically shortening and flour or you can buy it frozen. Stuff pie with stuff and bake until it looks done.

Good shit!

That's sounds like some God-Tier pie.

KC
10-18-2013, 05:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyRf5rYRx9E

oceanloverOH
10-18-2013, 09:43 PM
Just my old stand-by lower-sugar Dream Pie recipe, with butterscotch this time. Turned out really good!

Butterscotch Pie

1 jar thick caramel dessert sauce or caramel dip
1 chocolate crumb ready-maid pie crust
1 envelope DREAM WHIP Whipped Topping Mix
2 cups cold milk, divided (divided 1/2 cup and 1-1/2 cups)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 small package 4-serving size Sugar-Free JELL-O Butterscotch Instant Pudding
Cool Whip Free

Spoon caramel sauce evenly onto crust, not thickly but enough to cover bottom generously. Place crust in freezer.

Beat Dream Whip, 1/2 cup milk, and vanilla in large bowl with mixer on high speed 6 min or until soft peaks form.

Add remaining milk and dry pudding mix; beat on low speed until blended; then beat on high speed 2 min, stopping occasionally to scrape bottom and side of bowl. Remove crust from freezer, and spoon filling into crust, spreading eveny.

REFRIGERATE 4 hours or until firm

Venus
10-18-2013, 10:07 PM

I make pumpkin and pecan pies, I used to sell mine during the holidays along with homemade breads and other goodies. Made pretty good money but got very little sleep.

But I love blackberry cobbler. YUM

oceanloverOH
10-18-2013, 11:03 PM
I make pumpkin and pecan pies, I used to sell mine during the holidays along with homemade breads and other goodies. Made pretty good money but got very little sleep.

But I love blackberry cobbler. YUM
Venus, here's a quick and easy cobbler recipe you might want to try:

Quick Cobbler

*½ stick butter or margarine
*1 can fruit pie filling (Most canned fruit pie fillings will work: blackberry, peach, apple, blueberry, strawberry, cherry; one time I even made it with ½ peach and ½ blueberry)
*1 cup SELF-RISING flour
*1 cup sugar
*1 teaspoon baking powder
*1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375˚. Put ½ stick butter in square 8X8 inch pan or round 9 inch nonstick cake pan, and put it in preheated oven for a couple of minutes to melt it completely. Mix can of pie filling with the melted butter right in the pan until all the liquid is absorbed; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and milk with electric mixer until no lumps remain. Pour batter over cobbler filling and bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm (good with vanilla ice cream on top!) Promptly refrigerate leftovers. Serves about 6.

roadmaster
10-19-2013, 03:42 AM
Blueberry cobbler Pie
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup brown sugar 2 tablespoons butter divided
1/2 teaspoonsalt 1 1/2 cup of cornflakes
1 tablespoon cornstarch 2 cups of blueberries
3/4 cup of water 1/4 cup of chopped nuts your choice

preheat over to 350
combine brown sugar, salt, and cornstarch in a sauce pan over low heat. Gradually adding water and cook, stirring until thick about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and I tablespoon of butter then remove from heat.
Melt the remaining butter and pour over the cornflakes and toss to combine.
Layer blueberries in a 8 in glass pie pan, sprinkle with nuts and pour syrup over all. Top with buttery cornflakes.

Bake 40 minutes or until blueberries are bubbly. cool slightly before serving.

Put what ever you want on top, ice cream ect but let it cool more for that.

Venus
10-19-2013, 02:21 PM
@Venus (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=419), here's a quick and easy cobbler recipe you might want to try:

Quick Cobbler

*½ stick butter or margarine
*1 can fruit pie filling (Most canned fruit pie fillings will work: blackberry, peach, apple, blueberry, strawberry, cherry; one time I even made it with ½ peach and ½ blueberry)
*1 cup SELF-RISING flour
*1 cup sugar
*1 teaspoon baking powder
*1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375˚. Put ½ stick butter in square 8X8 inch pan or round 9 inch nonstick cake pan, and put it in preheated oven for a couple of minutes to melt it completely. Mix can of pie filling with the melted butter right in the pan until all the liquid is absorbed; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and milk with electric mixer until no lumps remain. Pour batter over cobbler filling and bake for 45 minutes. Serve warm (good with vanilla ice cream on top!) Promptly refrigerate leftovers. Serves about 6.

That sounds good.

Thank you!

sotmfs
12-28-2013, 05:20 PM
A couple of years ago I worked part time at a high end farm store making cider donuts.I also made pies for a short time.
As I told the head of the math dept at a local college upon being introduced to her "I was taught in HS that pi r square ,but now I know pie are round!!!"

She did not say much!!

Captain Obvious
12-28-2013, 05:38 PM
A couple of years ago I worked part time at a high end farm store making cider donuts.I also made pies for a short time.
As I told the head of the math dept at a local college upon being introduced to her "I was taught in HS that pi r square ,but now I know pie are round!!!"

She did not say much!!

lol I use that joke all the time.

sotmfs
12-28-2013, 05:53 PM
lol I use that joke all the time.

All the time? Pathetic! This is the one and only time for me!!LOL!!

I have been told"You think you are funny,but no one else does!!"

Captain Obvious
12-28-2013, 05:59 PM
All the time? Pathetic! This is the one and only time for me!!LOL!!

I have been told"You think you are funny,but no one else does!!"

Yeah,my dads favorite line is "invest in a 10 cent jokebook"

sotmfs
12-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Yeah,my dads favorite line is "invest in a 10 cent jokebook"

Do you get accused of repeating yourself?
I do.

Captain Obvious
12-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Do you get accused of repeating yourself?
I do.

Whut?

sotmfs
12-28-2013, 06:07 PM
I always tell my children"Have empathy,before you criticize someone,walk a half a mile in their shoes!"

sotmfs
12-28-2013, 06:08 PM
That way you are a half a mile away and you have their shoes!!

sotmfs
12-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Whut?

I was not referring to you here,but in general.Like using a joke often.