PDA

View Full Version : Marathons and Charities

Conley
01-23-2012, 12:35 PM
If someone finished a marathon in five and a half hours, they shouldn't say they ran a marathon, right?

I mean let's do the math...

5.5 hrs x 60 min = 330 min

330 min / 26.2 mi = about 12.5 minute miles

Isn't a 12.5 minute mile walking?!

:angry:

Should be a rule, if you didn't finish under 4:30 (at least!) you can't say you ran a marathon.

Mister D
01-23-2012, 12:48 PM
:laugh: Agreed. That's why i don't try marathons. I would push myself to perform and could turn up dead like some of those guys we hear about. I'm not "running" 12.5 minute miles.

wingrider
01-23-2012, 12:48 PM
No.. there is a difference between Running a marathon and walking a marathon.. good point.

Mister D
01-23-2012, 07:58 PM
No.. there is a difference between Running a marathon and walking a marathon.. good point.

That said, it's still great for people to get moving. I always tell that to people who go for walks as exercise. You are doing yourself a world of good.

Conley
01-23-2012, 08:01 PM
True, it is good to go out and get exercise. Just don't make it seem like you're curing cancer when you're hitting me up for money, because you're not. I didn't pay for you to eat all those candy bars and I sure as shit am not paying you to stop eating them either. I donate plenty to worthy causes and it has nothing to do with you and your exercise!

Ahh, I feel better now. Thanks for the vent my bruthas! :grin:

Peter1469
01-23-2012, 08:35 PM
Steady state cardio is not really good for you anyway. Try high intensity interval training and get your workout done in less than 20 minutes.

Conley
01-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Peter off the subject but as a fitness guy how do you feel about diet soda / aspartame?

Mister D
01-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Besides tasting like shit I hear a lot of bad things about diet soda.

Conley
01-23-2012, 08:44 PM
I love it but I try to stay away from it. I think it's bad for your teeth, other than that I don't know that it's so bad.

Mister D
01-23-2012, 08:57 PM
I love it but I try to stay away from it. I think it's bad for your teeth, other than that I don't know that it's so bad.

I think I've heard something about headaches. That comes to mind. I'm sure it's better than all that sugar in regular soda.

Conley
01-23-2012, 09:08 PM
I do get headaches from time to time but I am fairly certain it's caffeine withdrawal. It happens to me when I stop drinking coffee too.

Mister D
01-23-2012, 09:18 PM
I'm sure you could do a quick search and find all kinds of material. I know I've heard a lot of bad things but I never drank the stuff so I never really thought about it much. When I really want a glass of soda it's usually ginger ale.

Conley
01-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Thank you, I am aware of how the internet works and how to do searches.

:grin:

There is a ton of info out there, I was just curious what Peter thought of it. Sometimes he has some interesting opinions on fitness, as do you. Putin is a big fitness fan!

Conley
01-23-2012, 09:46 PM
Ginger Ale is cool but I want it so rarely I would have to buy a single sized serving. It doesn't spark an habitual drinking like Diet Pepsi does when I have it in the house. It's similar to having booze in the house, now that I think about it. :laugh:

Peter1469
01-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Peter off the subject but as a fitness guy how do you feel about diet soda / aspartame?

It is poison. As bad as High fructose corn syrup is, it is better for you than aspartame.

Conley
01-23-2012, 09:56 PM
It is poison. As bad as High fructose corn syrup is, it is better for you than aspartame.

Why do say that though? It is just two naturally occurring amino acids linked together, no?

Mister D
01-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Thank you, I am aware of how the internet works and how to do searches.

:grin:

There is a ton of info out there, I was just curious what Peter thought of it. Sometimes he has some interesting opinions on fitness, as do you. Putin is a big fitness fan!

Bite me. :laugh:

I just think diet soda is gross. Never liked it. For me, it;s one of those things that I drink rarely enough that I want the real thing.

Mister D
01-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Ginger Ale is cool but I want it so rarely I would have to buy a single sized serving. It doesn't spark an habitual drinking like Diet Pepsi does when I have it in the house. It's similar to having booze in the house, now that I think about it. :laugh:

That's what I do. I buy a 6 pack of 8 ounce cans. They stay in the fridge for those rare times that I want one. I buy a new one every 3-4 months.

Mister D
01-23-2012, 10:03 PM
Also, I've known people who develop a real diet soda habit. For example, I drink water and tea all day but I know guys who behave similarly except it's Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke. I can't imagine that a case of any soft drink every week is a good thing.

Conley
01-23-2012, 10:15 PM
Also, I've known people who develop a real diet soda habit. For example, I drink water and tea all day but I know guys who behave similarly except it's Diet Pepsi or Diet Coke. I can't imagine that a case of any soft drink every week is a good thing.

Yeah, I'm sure drinking like that is terrible for them. I won't drink more than a couple of glasses in a day but most weeks I only have a couple in total. At those amounts it might be better to just drink the real stuff.

Mister D
01-23-2012, 10:18 PM
Yeah, I'm sure drinking like that is terrible for them. I won't drink more than a couple of glasses in a day but most weeks I only have a couple in total. At those amounts it might be better to just drink the real stuff.

Ever have Dr. Brown's Black Cherry? I'll crave something like that with pizza or something and I'll do it because it's a rare treat. In fact, I hardly ever want Coke but it goes so well with pizza I'll drink it.

Mister D
01-23-2012, 10:19 PM
The ginger ale comes in real handy when I'm not feeling well.

Conley
01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Ever have Dr. Brown's Black Cherry? I'll crave something like that with pizza or something and I'll do it because it's a rare treat. In fact, I hardly ever want Coke but it goes so well with pizza I'll drink it.

Never had Dr. Browns but I definitely know what you mean about cola and pizza. I think maybe that connection of the two of them together is from me being a kid and those were treats that I didn't get often.

wingrider
01-24-2012, 12:14 AM
well fellas here is how I see it.

I am 62 years old , stand 6 ft tall and weigh 165 lbs.. I rarely ever exercise, in fact I just had a checkup last week and I pissed the dr off.
I smoke a pack a day and have for almost 50 years, but my bloodpressure is 120/70 my pulse rate was 68 and my lungs totally clear.

" George just lucky I guess" ( Brandon Fraszer)

Mister D
01-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Never had Dr. Browns but I definitely know what you mean about cola and pizza. I think maybe that connection of the two of them together is from me being a kid and those were treats that I didn't get often.

My mom served soda for dinner quite often. Not all day long but with dinner it was pretty common. She stopped drinking a long time ago though.

Mister D
01-24-2012, 08:53 AM

I am 62 years old , stand 6 ft tall and weigh 165 lbs.. I rarely ever exercise, in fact I just had a checkup last week and I pissed the dr off.
I smoke a pack a day and have for almost 50 years, but my bloodpressure is 120/70 my pulse rate was 68 and my lungs totally clear.

Genes count for a lot. God bless.

Conley
01-24-2012, 12:09 PM

Well I am very glad to read you're in good health. Your weight is low for your height so I'm not surprised your numbers are good. I bet you don't eat like a pig and probably get some good physical exertion with all that remodeling you're doing. I wish you didn't smoke though. :grin:

D is right that good genes count for a lot. There are exceptions to every generalization, no doubt about it.

Conley
01-24-2012, 12:10 PM
Jared from Subway finished the NYC Marathon in about 5 hours, 15 minutes. If someone is paying me that much money I think I would dedicate myself a little harder. He's getting kind of chunky again. :laugh:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20101108/ENTERTAINMENT/311080005/Subway-pitchman-Jared-completes-NYC-marathon

Mister D
01-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Jared from Subway finished the NYC Marathon in about 5 hours, 15 minutes. If someone is paying me that much money I think I would dedicate myself a little harder. He's getting kind of chunky again. :laugh:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20101108/ENTERTAINMENT/311080005/Subway-pitchman-Jared-completes-NYC-marathon

Approximately 12.11 minute miles. :rollseyes:

Conley
01-24-2012, 12:15 PM
You know I agree with Peter that marathons aren't healthy but especially when you're an untrained fat ass. If you are doing 12+ minute miles then you should just be walking vigorously, I'm sure it's much better for your joints and less stress on your heart.

Conley
01-24-2012, 12:16 PM
There's some run in Annapolis I think, maybe affiliated with the Navy where if you don't finish under 12 minute miles they don't give you any of the swag at the end. Pretty funny but I think that's how it should be. :evil:

Mister D
01-24-2012, 12:22 PM
You know I agree with Peter that marathons aren't healthy but especially when you're an untrained fat ass. If you are doing 12+ minute miles then you should just be walking vigorously, I'm sure it's much better for your joints and less stress on your heart.

At 36, marathons probably aren't a good thign for me either. Probably not at any age, actually. Even if yuo build yourself up for it it's still probably not a net plus. That's serious stress. On a good day I run my 5 miles and feel great at the end. 26 miles is a whole different world.

Mister D
01-24-2012, 12:23 PM
There's some run in Annapolis I think, maybe affiliated with the Navy where if you don't finish under 12 minute miles they don't give you any of the swag at the end. Pretty funny but I think that's how it should be. :evil:

lol Just do a walkathon if you can run a real marathon.

Conley
01-24-2012, 12:25 PM
At 36, marathons probably aren't a good thign for me either. Probably not at any age, actually. Even if yuo build yourself up for it it's still probably not a net plus. That's serious stress. On a good day I run my 5 miles and feel great at the end. 26 miles is a whole different world.

You're right of course. To train properly for a marathon you need to get up to 18,22,24 miles...granted you take breaks in the training but it's still too much mileage especially if you're carrying extra weight. Over time it'll destroy your joints. 5 miles seems like a great amount to me (even though Peter disagrees :wink:).

Mister D
01-24-2012, 12:33 PM
You're right of course. To train properly for a marathon you need to get up to 18,22,24 miles...granted you take breaks in the training but it's still too much mileage especially if you're carrying extra weight. Over time it'll destroy your joints. 5 miles seems like a great amount to me (even though Peter disagrees :wink:).

The extra weight will be gone before long. You can't avoid a calorie deficit with that kind of distance. It's the much longer period of stress on my heart and joints that concerns me. What the heck do I have to prove? No thanks. I think Peter would agree that 3-6 mile runs are pretty moderate and beneficial. They are inarguably beneficial in terms of metabolism, stamina, and overall energy levels not to mention body sculpting.

Conley
01-24-2012, 12:36 PM
You would think all that running would make a calorie deficit unavoidable but I swear it's not the case. Probably 100 years ago but not now...I had an ex who did Team in Training and a ton of those people were overweight. It really isn't that hard to eat 4k or more in a day if you're eating stuff that is loaded with calories, drinking gatorade and eating those gel packets while you run.

Mister D
01-24-2012, 12:37 PM
You would think all that running would make a calorie deficit unavoidable but I swear it's not the case. Probably 100 years ago but not now...I had an ex who did Team in Training and a ton of those people were overweight. It really isn't that hard to eat 4k or more in a day if you're eating stuff that is loaded with calories, drinking gatorade and eating those gel packets while you run.

I guess if you try hard to remain a fat ass. :laugh:

Conley
01-24-2012, 12:38 PM
I guess if you try hard to remain a fat ass. :laugh:

That's part of it but I think the mentality is that "Oh, I worked out today, so I can eat whatever I want." Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Mister D
01-24-2012, 12:45 PM
That's part of it but I think the mentality is that "Oh, I worked out today, so I can eat whatever I want." Unfortunately, that's not the case.

Good point. People do think that way. The thing is though that some people really can do that. Just not everyone.