PDA

View Full Version : A good autumn casserole

oceanloverOH
10-08-2013, 05:11 PM
My grandmother developed this recipe, and she used all fresh veggies from her garden (she made 2 5-qt casseroles, though, to feed a hungry family of 9 during the Depression). My Mom adapted it to a smaller amount, a 3-qt casserole, using some canned items for convenience. I've loved it since I was a child. Enjoy!

Alyosha, for our cookbook!

NANA'S HAMBURGER AND VEGGIE CASSEROLE
Prep Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 1/2 to 3 hours
Number of servings: 4-6

1 lb lean ground beef
1 small or ½ medium onion, chopped
1 tsp minced garlic
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground black pepper
3 medium potatoes, pared and sliced medium thin
4 carrots, pared and sliced medium thin
4 stalks celery, sliced medium thin
1 can corn, drained (reserve liquid in measuring cup)
1 can green beans, drained (reserve liquid in measuring cup)
1 can tomato soup
1 can tomato sauce
Dash tabasco (optional)

Heat oven to 375°. Add onions, garlic, salt and pepper to ground beef in skillet. Brown and drain. In 3-qt casserole dish, layer half of vegetables - potatoes, carrots, celery, corn, green beans. Repeat with second layer. Place meat/onion mixture on top and spread evenly. Spread soup on top of meat. Add can of tomato sauce and spread evenly. Add dash of tabasco, if using. Poke 8-10 holes through casserole with handle of wooden spoon, then add reserved canned vegetable liquid so liquid and some sauce/soup will drain down in.

Cover and bake at 375° for 1½ to 2 hours, till veggies are soft. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, then mix well and serve. Refrigerate leftovers in a tightly sealed container (I always like this dish better the next day).......