PDA

View Full Version : Arab League Halts Syria Operation After Mass Deaths

Conley
01-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Updated at 11:31 a.m. ET: The Arab League halted its observer mission to Syria on Saturday, sharply criticizing the regime of President Bashar Assad for escalating violence in recent days that has killed nearly 100 people across the country.

"Given the critical deterioration of the situation in Syria and the continued use of violence ... it has been decided to immediately stop the work of the Arab League's mission to Syria pending presentation of the issue to the league's council," Arab League Secretary-General Nabil Elaraby said in a statement.

A delegate at the league said no date had yet been fixed for a meeting of the council on Syria.

The rising bloodshed has added urgency to new attempts by Arab and Western countries to find a resolution to the 10 months of violence that according to the United Nations has killed at least 5,400 people as Assad seeks to crush persistent protests demanding an end to his rule.

http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/28/10257534-arab-league-halts-observer-mission-due-to-violence

That expedition was doomed from the start. I'm not sure what the Arab League thought they could do here. Reports of the violence before their trip were easily verified.

MMC
01-28-2012, 12:47 PM
While the Arab League was there the MB and the Sunni did not stop attacking Assads Security Forces. So again it is an armed insurrection with defectors that were in Assads Army.

Also Some NGO's are crying about how many children have been killed in Syria. To try and get more sympathy from the World and keep pressing Assad. Course French and British Humanitarian Groups.

Mister D
01-28-2012, 12:48 PM
I've never even heard of it. I guess that's like the...shoot I forget the name. There is an African organization formed for the same reasons.

MMC
01-28-2012, 01:06 PM
I've never even heard of it. I guess that's like the...shoot I forget the name. There is an African organization formed for the same reasons.

Yeah isn't it something like the Cairo House or something to that affect?

Mister D
01-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Yeah isn't it something like the Cairo House or something to that affect?

African National Congress came to mind but that was the South African terrorist group. Africa or African is in the name.

Peter1469
01-28-2012, 01:25 PM
Well, Syria doesn't have any oil, so we have no national security interest there. Let the Arab league police their own trash. Or pay us 10Xs our costs and we can do it too easy.

MMC
01-28-2012, 01:41 PM
African National Congress came to mind but that was the South African terrorist group. Africa or African is in the name.

The African League? Was that it?

Mister D
01-28-2012, 02:16 PM
The African League? Was that it?

African Union. The AU. I just looked it up.

MMC
01-28-2012, 02:33 PM
African Union. The AU. I just looked it up.

Ah.....that was my next Choice. Yeah.....look at some of the Leaders that were in that group.

Mister D
01-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Ah.....that was my next Choice. Yeah.....look at some of the Leaders that were in that group.

It's a joke. It's a club for dictators and thugs who look out for each other. They refused to condemn Mugabe.

MMC
01-28-2012, 02:43 PM
Yep.....nothing but extremists too. Warlords and LTs. With the likes of Gbagbo and others all dealing with the Western powers. Yet all they have to do is promise to be humanitarian like and hold Democratic Elections and they will recieve funding from all those in the West.

U-Know get them on board and part of that Global Economy. Open up markets and promise to help build their infrastructure.

Mister D
01-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Yep.....nothing but extremists too. Warlords and LTs. With the likes of Gbagbo and others all dealing with the Western powers. Yet all they have to do is promise to be humanitarian like and hold Democratic Elections and they will recieve funding from all those in the West.

U-Know get them on board and part of that Global Economy. Open up markets and promise to help build their infrastructure.

It's been that way since independence.

Jail Nation
01-28-2012, 06:50 PM
"They were killed execution-style, mostly with one bullet to the head. Iron chains that had tied them were left on their legs as a message to the people to stop resisting," Abu al-Walid, an activist in the city, told Reuters by telephone.

Mister D
01-28-2012, 08:39 PM
I tend to take the word of an "activist in the city" with a grain of salt.

MMC
01-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Especially if they are a Sunni Activist.....as I am sure they are crying that the whole world is coming down around them. While they hold majority of the population.