PDA

View Full Version : Gun Propaganda Fail.

Cthulhu
10-22-2013, 10:56 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QjZY3WiO9s

Questionable data and advice by questionable people.

Overall, bad advice.

Same old schtick, call the cops, run and hide, you are too inept to wield a weapon etc...

roadmaster
10-25-2013, 11:14 PM
I have seen it too many times where a gun saved someone's life.

Peter1469
10-26-2013, 12:17 AM
Me too.

Cthulhu
10-28-2013, 01:14 PM
Never actually been in the situation where I have seen it, or needed a weapon to defend myself.

But if the time ever arises, I would rather have more than just foul language and my knuckles to work with. Considering the other guy probably already has a weapon.

Common
10-30-2013, 10:49 PM
I own guns, I have been trained to use a variety of weapons of individual destruction, assault weapons, m30s, carbines, revolvers, pistols shotguns and I was once long ago certified with the Thompson sub machinegun. The funny thing is not one of the weapons I have held thousands of times ever tried to hurt me or did hurt me, It was always the SOB on the other side of his gun and thank the good lord I had mine.

strollingbonez
10-31-2013, 04:46 AM
my son was a toddler..we were alone...he was trying all the doors...and windows....this was long before the day of phones in every room etc....the only thing standing between this man and my son...was me with a loaded shotgun and the damn will to use....some say i was lucky he couldnt get in the house....i think he was damned lucky....cause once my bedroom door opened...i was firing

i refuse to compromise my right to self defense...

jillian
10-31-2013, 04:49 AM
Me too.

that's because you were military. she wasn't.

jillian
10-31-2013, 04:51 AM
my son was a toddler..we were alone...he was trying all the doors...and windows....this was long before the day of phones in every room etc....the only thing standing between this man and my son...was me with a loaded shotgun and the damn will to use....some say i was lucky he couldnt get in the house....i think he was damned lucky....cause once my bedroom door opened...i was firing

i refuse to compromise my right to self defense...

that's fine, bones. i don't think anyone expects you to. but it is reasonable to make sure that criminals and crazy people and people who've abused their spouses or children DON'T have guns. i'd think we should all be able to agree on that. and based on what i've seen 90% of us do. people should also be required to take lessons in gun safety before some idiot leaves his gun out so that a kid can get hold of it.

zelmo1234
10-31-2013, 04:52 AM
But if they can get you to give it up then of course you are even more dependent on them for protection, and they can of course decide who really needs protecting

strollingbonez
10-31-2013, 04:58 AM
this is where i go hard core into the gun camp...short of being a felon or mental case...why should my rights be limited at all...why should the government....local or federal know what guns i have etc and so forth...that is my business...i have taken gun safety courses since the first time a rifle was given to me....i learned about things like that in the family.....and i have passed that on to my son...in the family...take aways the guns of people who need them for self defense and you will seem more headlines of home invasions etc....they will far outnumber the headlines of kids deaths by stupid guns owners...and i dont think you an make stupidity a reason not to own a gun...

jillian
10-31-2013, 04:59 AM
But if they can get you to give it up then of course you are even more dependent on them for protection, and they can of course decide who really needs protecting

it's all a vast leftwing conspiracy :cuckoo:

jillian
10-31-2013, 05:00 AM
this is where i go hard core into the gun camp...short of being a felon or mental case...why should my rights be limited at all...why should the government....local or federal know what guns i have etc and so forth...that is my business...i have taken gun safety courses since the first time a rifle was given to me....i learned about things like that in the family.....and i have passed that on to my son...in the family...take aways the guns of people who need them for self defense and you will seem more headlines of home invasions etc....they will far outnumber the headlines of kids deaths by stupid guns owners...and i dont think you an make stupidity a reason not to own a gun...

people who commit felonies lose their right to vote. why wouldn't they lose their right to a gun when they're dangerous?

why should someone who beats his partner and/or his kid be allowed to have a weapon so that they're even more dangerous?

sorry... you give up your right to violent toys when you're a criminal or crazy

zelmo1234
10-31-2013, 05:05 AM
people who commit felonies lose their right to vote. why wouldn't they lose their right to a gun when they're dangerous?

why should someone who beats his partner and/or his kid be allowed to have a weapon so that they're even more dangerous?

sorry... you give up your right to violent toys when you're a criminal or crazy

Who gets to decide what criminal Crazy is?

Felons can't have firearms it is already the law, however you have to enforce laws and the Obama Administration does not want to do that when it comes to guns

http://washingtonexaminer.com/gun-prosecutions-under-obama-down-more-than-45-percent/article/2516175

But look on the bright side, Under Fast and Furious, he gave more funs to convicted felons than anyone else? So they have that going for them which is nice

jillian
10-31-2013, 05:16 AM
Who gets to decide what criminal Crazy is?

Felons can't have firearms it is already the law, however you have to enforce laws and the Obama Administration does not want to do that when it comes to guns

http://washingtonexaminer.com/gun-prosecutions-under-obama-down-more-than-45-percent/article/2516175

But look on the bright side, Under Fast and Furious, he gave more funs to convicted felons than anyone else? So they have that going for them which is nice

that is a silly question. we decide who is inappropriate for things all the time.

this president should have known better than to use any policy started by baby bush. but thanks for the irrelevant deflection because you have nothing of value to say on the subject.

i'm not talking about just felons, btw, if you beat your family, you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a weapon. a responsible gun owner would understand that.

and again, since you failed to address it, everyone should learn gun safety if they want a weapon.

zelmo1234
10-31-2013, 05:24 AM
that is a silly question. we decide who is inappropriate for things all the time.

this president should have known better than to use any policy started by baby bush. but thanks for the irrelevant deflection because you have nothing of value to say on the subject.

i'm not talking about just felons, btw, if you beat your family, you shouldn't be allowed anywhere near a weapon. a responsible gun owner would understand that.

and again, since you failed to address it, everyone should learn gun safety if they want a weapon.

First I want to complement you on your idea that everyone should learn Gun safety I have always thought that it should be taught in schools and with all the shootings I think teaching students how to disarm a person is not a bad idea either!

Nest NICE TRY!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/09/president-obama-falsely-claims-fast-and-furious-program-begun-under-the-previous-administration/

The Bush administration program ended and they actually tracked the guns

Obama program was wholesaling AK's to drug lords

jillian
10-31-2013, 05:29 AM
First I want to complement you on your idea that everyone should learn Gun safety I have always thought that it should be taught in schools and with all the shootings I think teaching students how to disarm a person is not a bad idea either!

Nest NICE TRY!

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/09/president-obama-falsely-claims-fast-and-furious-program-begun-under-the-previous-administration/

if you want to continue to have a discussion, do not make up what you want to pretend i said just because you rage against anyone who doesn't share your extreme pov. i never said a thing about "schools". kids in school should not have guns. you might think that's amusing in rural areas where about ten people live, but it would not be amusing in a city. and whether someone's kid learns to use a gun or not is the choice of the parent. my son has been trained because my husband shoots. my business... our business. not yours.

again, not interested in your deflection. stay on topic.

strollingbonez
10-31-2013, 05:41 AM
violent toys? see the rhetoric? i would never call my guns violent toys....guns are not toys....

jillian
10-31-2013, 06:10 AM
violent toys? see the rhetoric? i would never call my guns violent toys....guns are not toys....

Saying that guns are an absolute right is also rhetoric. Scare tactics about evil people who want to take away your guns is baseless hyperbole. And the mucho macho crew does treat their guns like toys. And people who want to turn the country into the Wild West because they live in fear, but refuse to acknowledge the necessity for background checks and basic gun safety rules ( which most of us agree upon) are irresponsible and childish.

also, bonez, while i adore and respect you, i don't know a single gun owner who isn't a bit like "boys with toys" when talking about their guns or cars.

Chris
10-31-2013, 07:25 AM

Nest NICE TRY!

zelmo, zelmo, zelmo, don't you know if you want to have a discussion with jillian you have to play be her rules, facts and logic. :Doh!:

Peter1469
10-31-2013, 10:56 AM

The Lautenberg Amendment (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_Violence_Offender_Gun_Ban) covers that. It was a pain in the butt in the military- it even applies to giving a soldier a weapon in the field or even deployed in combat even though the weapon could not (legally) be taken home to abuse the spouse and children.

Cthulhu
10-31-2013, 10:58 AM

I am curious, do you believe that people can change?

Adelaide
10-31-2013, 12:10 PM
I'm a survivor of a violent crime and I don't think a gun would have made a difference. I support our strict gun laws up here but accept that they aren't suitable for the US due to cultural differences. Personally, I'd like to get my license and learn how to shoot so that I can go on hunting trips. I don't think I'd actually be able to kill an animal but I think it's a skill I'd like to develop at some point (shooting). I would never own a gun or keep one in my home, however, but that's my personal preference.

Cthulhu
10-31-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm a survivor of a violent crime and I don't think a gun would have made a difference. I support our strict gun laws up here but accept that they aren't suitable for the US due to cultural differences. Personally, I'd like to get my license and learn how to shoot so that I can go on hunting trips. I don't think I'd actually be able to kill an animal but I think it's a skill I'd like to develop at some point (shooting). I would never own a gun or keep one in my home, however, but that's my personal preference.

Disagreement, but respect.

jillian
10-31-2013, 12:19 PM
I am curious, do you believe that people can change?
Cthulhu that's a very interesting question. there are certain things that can't change as far as we know... like pedophilia, which has an almost 100% recidivism rate. can someone who's a felon or a spouse abuser or a child abuser change? i hope so. but again, recidivism numbers aren't very good. now, there are a lot of felonies that maybe shouldn't be felonies (e.g., possession of marijuana) i think if there's no gang involvement then perhaps that's something to think about.

but, my suggestion would be for the person affected to have to seek relief from disability same as they would if they want back their right to vote or want a license back.

now, allow me to ask you... do you think we should just assume that people change?

Cthulhu
10-31-2013, 12:20 PM
that's a very interesting question. there are certain things that can't change as far as we know... like pedophilia, which has an almost 100% recidivism rate. can someone who's a felon or a spouse abuser or a child abuser change? i hope so. but again, recidivism numbers aren't very good. now, there are a lot of felonies that maybe shouldn't be felonies (e.g., possession of marijuana) i think if there's no gang involvement then perhaps that's something to think about.

but, my suggestion would be for the person affected to have to seek relief from disability same as they would if they want back their right to vote or want a license back.

now, allow me to ask you... do you think we should just assume that people change?

Remind me to address this. I have chemistry I have to go to right now.

jillian
10-31-2013, 12:22 PM
Remind me to address this. I have chemistry I have to go to right now.

have a good class

Cthulhu
10-31-2013, 02:26 PM
@Cthulhu (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=872) that's a very interesting question. there are certain things that can't change as far as we know... like pedophilia, which has an almost 100% recidivism rate. can someone who's a felon or a spouse abuser or a child abuser change? i hope so. but again, recidivism numbers aren't very good.

People can recover from these, although it is fantastically rare as you said. Much of it has to do with the fact that the government would rather play catch and release with these types instead of sending them through an effective treatment program, or simply executing them.

now, there are a lot of felonies that maybe shouldn't be felonies (e.g., possession of marijuana) i think if there's no gang involvement then perhaps that's something to think about.

No victim, no crime, but that is me.

Is this not the point of the penal system? To pay your 'debt' to society?

People are protean creatures. They aren't cold forged and unchangeable. That said, people naturally change over time. However the direction in which this change occurs is the real variable. I would say that it is natural for people to resist change they don't like or need.

zelmo1234
10-31-2013, 02:39 PM
if you want to continue to have a discussion, do not make up what you want to pretend i said just because you rage against anyone who doesn't share your extreme pov. i never said a thing about "schools". kids in school should not have guns. you might think that's amusing in rural areas where about ten people live, but it would not be amusing in a city. and whether someone's kid learns to use a gun or not is the choice of the parent. my son has been trained because my husband shoots. my business... our business. not yours.

Here is the thing! You don't have to have real guns to teach kids to learn how to be safe.

If I teach my kid gun safety and you kid shoot and kills him then? that is a waste of my time.

I don't need to teach and kid to shoot to teach him how to make weapons safe

http://www.blueguns.com/default.asp?

Now if you were to train kids how to make weapons safe, and then if you went one step farther and taught them how to take a gun away from someone, it makes it a lot safer for them if the happen to coma across one!

And that is a lot more likely in the inner city than it is in the country!

What would be wrong with that? these are no more dangerous than a baseball bat!

zelmo1234
10-31-2013, 02:40 PM

As far as the topic, that you don't like you tossed out the Lie, I felt compelled to shoot it down!

zelmo1234
10-31-2013, 02:42 PM
zelmo, zelmo, zelmo, don't you know if you want to have a discussion with jillian you have to play be her rules, facts and logic. :Doh!:

How can that be, she is never logical, and she darn sure is not going to use facts!