PDA

View Full Version : Sports and Affirmative Action

Alias
01-30-2012, 11:44 AM
I read this article this morning, so it's not really my rant, but the guy puts it into words so well that I have to share his rant because I agree 110% with it.

http://pjmedia.com/blog/in-praise-of-professional-sports/

Mister D
01-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Good piece. I agree with him. It's been said before many times but this was well written and we could use the reminder.

Elibe
01-30-2012, 01:02 PM
but key difference is sports teams have referees that make everything fair and equal

Alias
01-30-2012, 01:36 PM
but key difference is sports teams have referees that make everything fair and equal

I think you missed the point. The rules are the same for all the players, not the outcome. That's the point.

Captain Obvious
01-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Hard piece to read, why did it take this guy a bazillion highbrow words to make a point?

Alias
01-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Hard piece to read, why did it take this guy a bazillion highbrow words to make a point?

He was showing off his vocabulary to make it more interesting. What's your take on it?

Mister D
01-30-2012, 07:44 PM

Struck me as odd too since I assumed he's a sports writer but it is a pretty good piece, IMHO.

Captain Obvious
01-31-2012, 04:52 PM
He was showing off his vocabulary to make it more interesting. What's your take on it?

I have limited patience with highbrow journalism. I find it very hard to wade through all the muckety muck to extract the point. Not that I don't or can't comprehend the point, I just get bored with all the lipstick.

Having said that, I really don't know what the point was. The best way into my cranium is point blank.

... wait, I better rephrase that.

Alias
02-01-2012, 01:13 PM
I have limited patience with highbrow journalism. I find it very hard to wade through all the muckety muck to extract the point. Not that I don't or can't comprehend the point, I just get bored with all the lipstick.

Having said that, I really don't know what the point was. The best way into my cranium is point blank.

... wait, I better rephrase that.

I understand. Try this one. http://frontpagemag.com/2012/02/01/american-tyrants/

Mister D
02-01-2012, 01:32 PM
I haven't been to Frontpagemag.com in ages.

Alias
02-01-2012, 01:47 PM
I like Horowitz. Amazing conversion story.

Mister D
02-01-2012, 01:48 PM
I like Horowitz. Amazing conversion story.

Most definitely. I think the writers on FP can be a little over the top sometimes but I may start reading that again. Maybe post a few topics here. :grin:

Captain Obvious
02-01-2012, 05:23 PM
I understand. Try this one. http://frontpagemag.com/2012/02/01/american-tyrants/

Sure, but is "American Tyrants" related somehow to "Sports and Affirmative Action"?

Maybe I'm missing it and I am dumber than I thought.

Alias
02-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Sure, but is "American Tyrants" related somehow to "Sports and Affirmative Action"?

Maybe I'm missing it and I am dumber than I thought.

AA is a form of soft tyranny. How would that work in the NFL? Your star QB is white, but to meet a racial quota the coach is forced to start the Black QB who is terrible. This is all done in the name of "fairness". Your team gets slaughtered. Tell us how AA has benefitted anyone.