PDA

View Full Version : The Shock of History

Mister D
01-30-2012, 01:51 PM
Dominique Venner is a rightwing French historian and intellectual. I found this interesting review of his latest work onj Altright.

Snip

His latest book—Le Choc de l’Histoire—is not a work of history per se, but a series of meditations, in the form of a book-long interview (conducted by the historian Pauline Lecomte) on the historical situation presently facing Europeans. These meditations approach their subject in parallel but opposite ways: 1) one approach surveys the contours of Europe’s longue durée—those centuries of growth that made the great oak so venerable—and, in the spirit of the Annales School, reveals her ‘secret permanences’, and, 2) a very different but complementary approach that silhouettes the heroic individuals and individual events (Achilles and the Iliad foremost) exemplifying the Homeric spirit of European man—disclosing his possibilities, and offering him thus an alternative to his programmed extinction.Venner’s thesis is that: Europeans, after having been militarily, politically, and morally crushed by events largely of their own making, have been lost in sleep (‘in dormition’) for the last half-century and are now—however slowly—beginning to experience a ‘shock of history’ that promises to wake them, as they are forced to defend an identity of which they had previously been almost unconscious.
Like the effect of cascading catastrophes (the accelerating decomposition of America’s world empire, Europe’s Islamic colonization, the chaos-creating nihilism of global capitalism, etc.), the shock of history today is becoming more violent and destructive, making it harder for Europeans to stay lulled in the deep, oblivious sleep that follows a grievous wound to the soul itself—the deep curative sleep prescribed by their horrendous civil wars (1914-1918 and 1939-1945), by the ensuing impositions of the Soviet/American occupation and of the occupation’s collaborationist regimes, and, finally, today, by a demographic tsunami promising to sweep away their kind.

http://www.alternativeright.com/main/the-magazine/the-shock-of-history/

MMC
01-30-2012, 02:29 PM
Guess they should be concerned as to waking up to find their community/State is now becoming Islamic. Better wake up now before they are all assimilated and or converted. At least there is House..... in NOrleans, thats keeping an eye on the Rising Crescent! :wink: :grin:

Mister D
01-30-2012, 09:40 PM
I really stocked up over Christmas. I have 10 or 11 books to read for 2012 but I'm really tempted to buy this title. Much to your dismay I'm sure, MMC, I'm very impressed with the French right.