PDA

View Full Version : State Dept: Americans Take Refuge At Cairo Embassy.....

MMC
01-30-2012, 04:03 PM
CAIRO (AP) — Three American democracy advocates barred by Egyptian authorities from leaving the country have sought refuge at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, officials said Monday, as tensions between the two allied nations sharply escalated over a probe into foreign-funded organizations.

U.S. State Department spokeswoman Kate Starr confirmed the embassy was housing civilians.

"A handful of U.S. citizens have opted to stay in the embassy compound in Cairo while waiting for permission to depart Egypt," she said Monday in Washington.

A former IRI official quoted in The Washington Post Sunday, however, said his colleagues had indicated that they would only move to the embassy if they feared they'd be arrested soon.

The U.S. is due to give $1.3 billion in military assistance and $250 million in economic aid to Egypt in 2012. Washington has given Egypt an average of $2 billion in economic and military aid a year since 1979, according to the Congressional Research Service.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/state-dept-americans-refuge-cairo-embassy-160714173.html
Associated Press – 2 hrs 11 mins ago<<<<<More Here!

Time to close up shop, throw up the travel bans and let all know any Americans, especially women should avoid traveling to Egypt. It is clear that the Obama Administration is being heard but not listened to. To ignore a call from the US President. Our SOS and State Dept, then to be warned by our Egyptian Ambassador. I think it high time to get any Americans out of Egypt. Especially since they have no fear when a Democrat it is in office. Wonder if they will inform us if they put out the Arrest Warratns for our people. Notice the Egyptians didnt differentiate. They went after both Parties NGO's.

There can be no other response from us now. Immediately stop all Aid to Egypt. Both Military and Humanitarian. Give them nothing for their Elections and reconstruction. Put our Embassy peeps on Alert and stand ready and get as many as of our people out there Asap.

Conley
01-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Woah, this is big news. I agree, time to issue the travel warnings and take steps beyond it. This is a huge step by Egypt and there's definitely more going on here than what's being reported. I don't think it has anything to do with Democrats. Cutting off aid is a good start...

Peter1469
01-30-2012, 10:42 PM
Way to go Obama. Shades of Jimmy Carter.

Conley
01-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Way to go Obama. Shades of Jimmy Carter.

Ugh. I hope not...but I can see how one would think that way.

Conley
01-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Nice! Peter's got an avatar. :grin:

Peter1469
01-30-2012, 11:34 PM
In Fez, Morocco.

Conley
01-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Very cool...same place you bought your tajine?

Peter1469
01-30-2012, 11:48 PM
Yes!

MMC
01-31-2012, 12:08 AM
Obama should have summoned the Egyptian Ambassador and chastized his azz Publicly. Which would show Egypt we are not going to put up with this kind of shit. Get billions of US Dollars and then pull a stunt like this.
It also shows the rest of the Arab world that they can do the same damn thing to us. Take our money and then stab us in the back. Obama best get more vocal otherwise they will just consider us a paper tiger.

MMC
01-31-2012, 12:59 AM
The Egyptian Foreign Ministry declined to comment.
An Egyptian military delegation is expected in Washington this week for regular talks that are expected to focus on the impasse over the NGOs, U.S. officials said.

The delegation, made up of four major generals, was expected in Washington on Tuesday, diplomatic sources said.

President Barack Obama spoke with the head of Egypt's ruling military council, Field Marshal Hussein Tantawi, on January 20. He stressed the importance of the NGOs and discussed Egypt's request for $3.2 billion from the International Monetary Fund.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/u-embassy-shelters-americans-amid-egypt-ngo-crackdown-171743321.html

I was going to put it up as it's own thread that the Egyptian have now ran to the IMF requesting 3.2 Billion Dollars. Which they did at the beginning of this year and right after they raided the DNC and GOP NGO's. I guess they figured they could get around us and then made their play.

4 Military Generals of Egypt coming to Washington DC. For what? One thing is for certain they best not be allowed to go the White House. Moreover the President need not say anything to these Morons. Let underlings make good on our Warnings boldy in their face.

To bad us US Citizens can't drop a line or two on the Egyptians. I am sure there are some of us that can get them to actually use their heads and think before they act. Or wake them up to the realization of where they really do stand in the great big world of things.

Truly.....do they really want to have conflict with us. They defiantely would not want to get into a War with us. Otherwise they would end up not having any Pyramids on the Giza Plateau and I think we could cause them to lose all their Impressive feats in history. Now wouldn't that be a shame. Hit them where it hurts! Always!!!!!

wingrider
01-31-2012, 01:05 AM
did you know that we can drill for oil through glass..?

MMC
01-31-2012, 06:49 AM
See they figure they can can pull 2 billion from us.....while at the same time pull 3.2 Billion more from the IMF. Whom we threw 95 million to this last year. Then a double stick it to us to boot! While our people sit around and wait to see if they are going to throw arrest charges on them? After being interrogated by the Egyptian Police? Which is again after they ransacked both Party's NGO's and questioned people. This don't sound right at all.

Anyone think if these people do get arrested that they should stand trial in Egypt?

Mister D
01-31-2012, 09:15 AM
The U.S. is due to give $1.3 billion in military assistance and $250 million in economic aid to Egypt in 2012. Washington has given Egypt an average of $2 billion in economic and military aid a year since 1979, according to the Congressional Research Service.....snip~

But aid to Israel makes some folks indignant. When was the last time US citizens had to take refuge in our embassy in Tel Aviv?

MMC
01-31-2012, 09:28 AM
There are issues that I can see are going to come up over the use of the Suez Canal eventually. Well see if Obama says anything while their 2 star Major Generals are here. Moreover that are pipelines for natural Gas that are supplying Israel from Egypt. In Which the Bedouin have gone after those lines before.

Still the MB won their Lower House.....so we shall see if they set up some some political ploy while alledgedly helping us.