PDA

View Full Version : Clinton to UN: Stand with Syrian People or Be Complicit in CrackDown.....

MMC
02-01-2012, 05:50 PM
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told the United Nations Tuesday that the world faces a choice: stand with the people of Syria or be complicit in the Bashar al-Assad regime's brutal violence. But her message was aimed squarely at one nation: Russia.

"We all know that change is coming to Syria," Clinton told the diplomatic body at a UN Security Council meeting on Syria Tuesday afternoon. "The question is how many more innocent civilians will die before Assad bows to the inevitable, and how unstable a country he will leave behind."

Russia, a veto-wielding member of the Security Council with deep political and economic ties to Damascus, has to date blocked UN Security Council resolutions condemning Assad's brutality. Russian business investments and arms sales to Syria amount to over $24 billion, Israeli security analysts Yagil Beinglass and Daniel Brode wrote (http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=Aucgtsx1_5FK4j0qOS808KHyWed_;_ylu=X3oDMTFka3B kYnE0BG1pdANCbG9nIEJvZHkEcG9zAzEEc2VjA01lZGlhQmxvZ 0JvZHlBc3NlbWJseQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTNibmc1ajFnBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRw c3RhaWQDZmRkOGNmOWMtOWYzYi0zMWZkLThjNjMtNmIwMzU0YW JlZjQ5BHBzdGNhdANvcmlnaW5hbHN8dGhlZW52b3kEcHQDc3Rv cnlwYWdlBHRlc3QD;_ylv=0/SIG=13iifoakl/EXP=1329344407/**http%3A//www.nytimes.com/2012/01/31/opinion/russias-syrian-power-play.html%3F_r=1%26%2338;src=tp) in a New York Times oped Tuesday.

Clinton offered a more confident assessment Tuesday that Assad's days are numbered--and a warning to those who back the wrong side.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/envoy/hillary-clinton-un-stand-syrian-people-complicit-crackdown-212742585.html

She says nothing about the Sunni attacking Assads forces. She says nothing about the Rebels who hit and run inside Turkey. She keeps saying the Syrian People. But she means the Sunni. She don't say anything at all about the MB being involved here.

Think Putin cares what Clinton said? The Russians have already moved their fleets into the region. Think she understands that point. I mean she does know about that 24 Billion in Arms to Syria. But the Russians have spoken and are not backing down.

IMO if they could get Assad out and Democratic Government in with the Promise of Big Time Dolla. Then Iran Would be completely surrounded and Israel would have a way in. As would the West. As the Sunni wouild give them what they want in going after Iran.

Peter1469
02-01-2012, 06:13 PM
What is the US national security interest in protecting Syrians from Syrians?

Conley
02-01-2012, 06:16 PM

Not Our Problem Dude (NOPD) :grin:

MMC
02-01-2012, 06:22 PM

That Peter is a very good question. But then not once does anybody in the Media hit her with that. Cronkite would have!

MMC
02-02-2012, 01:29 AM
Not Our Problem Dude (NOPD) :grin:

The problem with that sentiment is.....the Peace President has spoken and said Assad must step down. Ever since then it's been the big push to hand the Country over to the Sunni.

MMC
02-02-2012, 02:12 AM
In Washington, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton told reporters: "Every member of the council has to make a decision: Whose side are you on? Are you on the side of the Syrian people? ... Or are you on the side of a brutal, dictatorial regime?".....snip~

It truly is amazing just how much the Western media is keeping All from the West in knowing what is exactly going on in Syria.

1. We are not being told of the Armed Conflicts that are taking place with the Rebels and Assad's Forces.

2. We are not being told about the Army defections of Sunni officers and the Arabs they control.

3. We are not being told about what the MB, and or these Rebels are going to do when it comes to implementing some form of government if they should win.

Which means some sort of transitionary government will have to be set up. Assad is Alawite, the last descendants of the original Syrians even tho they have been assimalted in with Shia Arabs. They are the minority. The Sunni the majority.

Note: We hear something from our Alleged leadership. Then we act like we are backing off from the situation. Focusing that perception elsewheres and on singularities when it concerns implementing that New Form of Democracy. But Obama is no different on his Foreign policy than with his domestic policy. In both he leaves his pattern for outsourcing or delegating responsibility to another. In this case, France and the Brits!

Peter1469
02-02-2012, 07:11 AM
The US does have a national security interest in seeing Iran's influence in the region diminish. Having Syria run by Sunnis would certainly do that. But this is certainly not enough of a national security interest to go to overt war over.

MMC
02-02-2012, 07:51 AM
The US does have a national security interest in seeing Iran's influence in the region diminish. Having Syria run by Sunnis would certainly do that. But this is certainly not enough of a national security interest to go to overt war over.

Well technically that Interest would apply to all not just our enemies.

Would you agree or disagree?

Peter1469
02-02-2012, 11:56 AM
It certainly is applicable; my point was we can act in a region without invading and occupying it.

Conley
02-02-2012, 12:28 PM
It certainly is applicable; my point was we can act in a region without invading and occupying it.

Ideally yes but our policies don't seem to be having the desired effects over there. How do you think we can best influence the region to align with our own interests?

Peter1469
02-02-2012, 01:26 PM
I would not focus so much as aligning Syria with US interests. I would focus on keeping the Sunni-Shia split alive. We could work through proxies such as Jordan and Saudi Arabia to help keep Assad off balance. I am not sure that the Sunnis can take over there anyway. If another Shia power block takes over, Iran is still in its current position.

Mister D
02-02-2012, 01:29 PM
That's some realpolitik.

MMC
02-02-2012, 03:43 PM
In addition to the Russians will be Hezbollah and they are in Jordan. Of course they are not a real conventional military force. But gorilla warfare, now that is different story. Still they could end up dropping some bombs on those Sunni Neighborhoods.

I am surprised Assad has not used Hezbollah to go after any of rebels leaders. He should have been about that from the start. As well as used any Military Intel from the Russians as to where the rebels were hiding out in Turkey. Then he should have blitzkrieg the Media showing them armed.

Moreover with the Sunni Oppressing and committing Genocide on the Shia for over the last 300 yrs I am of the opinion that there is no longer a reason to keep that strategy up and going. That it was never a viable strategy in the first place. While yes in the tradition of Sun-Tzu and the keeping of ones enemies at each other so to speak, our people got it worng as they never did understand Sharia Law.

Mister D
02-02-2012, 03:54 PM
In addition to the Russians will be Hezbollah and they are in Jordan. Of course they are not a real conventional military force. But gorilla warfare, now that is different story. Still they could end up dropping some bombs on those Sunni Neighborhoods.

I am surprised Assad has not used Hezbollah to go after any of rebels leaders. He should have been about that from the start. As well as used any Military Intel from the Russians as to where the rebels were hiding out in Turkey. Then he should have blitzkrieg the Media showing them armed.

Moreover with the Sunni Oppressing and committing Genocide on the Shia for over the last 300 yrs I am of the opinion that there is no longer a reason to keep that strategy up and going. That it was never a viable strategy in the first place. While yes in the tradition of Sun-Tzu and the keeping of ones enemies at each other so to speak, our people got it worng as they never did understand Sharia Law.

Well, if a genocide has been ongoing for 300 years that strategy obviously ins't working. :grin:

MMC
02-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Sure it has.....as the Shia nowheres compares in population to the Sunni. The Sunni have been very effective at keeping those numbers down. Really keeping them manageable in the big picture of things. How much easier do you think it becomes if the Shia have nothing they are in control of? No Country, no government, no rights.

Mister D
02-02-2012, 04:21 PM
Sure it has.....as the Shia nowheres compares in population to the Sunni. The Sunni have been very effective at keeping those numbers down. Really keeping them manageable in the big picture of things. How much easier do you think it becomes if the Shia have nothing they are in control of? No Country, no government, no rights.

That it was never a viable strategy in the first place.

Huh?

MMC
02-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Huh?

Our people got it wrong as they never did understand Sharia Law.....snip!<<<<< :angry:

Mister D
02-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Hold on...you said genocide was no long a viable strategy. I agreed and then you said it is a viable strategy. :angry:

MMC
02-02-2012, 04:45 PM
It's not.....as it never considered the Sunni as a threat under Sharia law. Which is my meaning to it, being a non-viable strategy for us the US of A. Different matter in being viable for the Sunni. Hope that I clarified that better.

Mister D
02-02-2012, 05:36 PM
It's not.....as it never considered the Sunni as a threat under Sharia law. Which is my meaning to it, being a non-viable strategy for us the US of A. Different matter in being viable for the Sunni. Hope that I clarified that better.

If you have been attempting genocide for 3 centuries it ain't working. Try something else. It's obviously not viable strategy for the Sunni.

MMC
02-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Yeah but the Sunni are not stupid.....they have watched the UN and the Super powers. Then created the Arab league in response. They know they cannot outright try to wipeout the Shia. They know the Humanitarian World and Democracy will never allow it to happen. Now oppression and wittling off those numbers and getting others to do their dirty work for them. Assures that Sunni stays in power if not forever!

In which they are way more a political thru their religion than what the Shia is. More in tune with Western man and it's concepts. Has a better understand on how Western man thinks and goes about buisness. Especially with the differences between Europeans and Amercians.

Peter1469
02-02-2012, 06:05 PM

I would flood the ME with BS explosive material that would either not work at all or go off too soon.

MMC
02-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Much simpler......with not sharing any technology nor giving them any arms period.