PDA

View Full Version : Veterans - Shout it Out

oceanloverOH
11-11-2013, 02:20 PM
USAF (Retired) MSgt
1974 - 1996 (with a one-year break when I had my son)

Agravan
11-11-2013, 02:23 PM
Usar 1980-1992

Codename Section
11-11-2013, 02:27 PM
USMC Made it to Gunny in spite of my mouth

2003 to 2013, Scout Sniper 0317 medical discharge from the USMC.

nathanbforrest45
11-11-2013, 02:57 PM
USNR 1965 to 1971. Vietnam Vet YNSN
Served on USS Mansfield DD728

Peter1469
11-11-2013, 03:36 PM
US Army 1987-1991
Louisiana Army National Guard 1991-1995
US Army 1999-2006
US Army Reserves 2006-present

The Sage of Main Street
11-11-2013, 03:41 PM
2250184 USMC 25Feb66 to 14Nov68. 6 months as a machinegunner (0331) in Vietnam, during which 38 of the 150 infantrymen in my company (Hotel, 2d Batallion, 5th Marines Regiment) were killed. I was extremely lucky. The front of the patrol would get hit and I'd be in the rear, the rear would get hit and I would be in the front, etc. The closest I got was when a ricochet blew dirt in my face and buzzed my ear.

Codename Section
11-11-2013, 03:45 PM
2250184 USMC 25Feb66 to 14Nov68. 6 months as a machinegunner (0331) in Vietnam, during which 38 of the 150 infantrymen in my company (Hotel, 2d Batallion, 5th Marines Regiment) were killed. I was extremely lucky. The front of the patrol would get hit and I'd be in the rear, the rear would get hit and I would be in the front, etc. The closest I got was when a ricochet blew dirt in my face and buzzed my ear.

Old Corps was the deal.

The Wash
11-11-2013, 04:00 PM
USMC 2002-2012 Staff Sergeant 0311

The Wash
11-11-2013, 04:15 PM

I had that kind of luck. It's a hard luck to have.

nathanbforrest45
11-11-2013, 04:24 PM
USMC 2002-2012 Staff Sergeant 0311

We navy guys took you marines where you needed to go and then being the smarter branch left you there and got the hell out!!!!

My father in law, brother and nephew are Marines. My father in law was wounded on some island during WW2. My nephew saw service in Afghanistan and my brother was a layabout in California. I think he may have been the inspiration for Breakheart Ridge :grin: and not Gunny Highway

oceanloverOH
11-11-2013, 08:46 PM
I didn't think we had so many.....I'm in some DAMN good company here! Thank you, all of you, for your patriotism; your service; and your sacrifices!

SALUTE!
:icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut::i con_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut:

Ethereal
11-11-2013, 10:04 PM
These articles talk about my unit in Iraq...

The Liberation of Karmah, Part I (http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/2008/03/the-liberation.php)

The Liberation of Karmah, Part II (http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/2008/04/the-liberation-1.php)

The Wash
11-11-2013, 10:09 PM

The Liberation of Karmah, Part I (http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/2008/03/the-liberation.php)

The Liberation of Karmah, Part II (http://www.michaeltotten.com/archives/2008/04/the-liberation-1.php)

I know who you are. You that kid that's supposed to take over the financial reigns. Well GOOD because I hate doing this shit.

Shout out, devil dog. Respect.

oceanloverOH
11-11-2013, 10:21 PM

Hi, Ethereal.....I've heard a lot about you (all good, I promise)....nice to meet you!

The Wash
11-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Hi, Ethereal.....I've heard a lot about you (all good, I promise)....nice to meet you!

Course its all good. He's a mutherfucking marine. Oorah.

Ethereal
11-11-2013, 10:26 PM
I know who you are. You that kid that's supposed to take over the financial reigns. Well GOOD because I hate doing this shit.

Shout out, devil dog. Respect.

I'm going to be providing general business consultancy to include financial planning and management. But I'm only available between 1 PM and 3 PM, Monday through Friday. Have your people talk to my people and we'll do lunch.

:cool2:

Ethereal
11-11-2013, 10:27 PM

Hi, Ocean, hope you're doing well.

:grin:

Ethereal
11-11-2013, 10:29 PM
lol

From the article I posted:

As we traced our steps back to the main road, the Iraqi Civilian Watch guys we had met earlier walked toward us.
“Our checkpoint is very important,” said the team’s leader.
“All the checkpoints are important,” Sergeant Perusich said.
“This was an insurgent area,” the man said.
“Everywhere was an insurgent area,” the sergeant said. “Don’t worry. We’ll get you guys what you need.”

This made me laugh because of how typical the dialog is between the Iraqis and the Marine. Our exchanges were always so humorous and dry and awkward at the same time.

The Wash
11-11-2013, 10:30 PM
I'm going to be providing general business consultancy to include financial planning and management. But I'm only available between 1 PM and 3 PM, Monday through Friday. Have your people talk to my people and we'll do lunch.

:cool2:

Damn, dude. I gotta work 40 hours and I know that mutherfucker. I need to renegotiate! I think its because I'm black! I need a lawyer.

The Wash
11-11-2013, 10:32 PM
lol

From the article I posted:

As we traced our steps back to the main road, the Iraqi Civilian Watch guys we had met earlier walked toward us.
“Our checkpoint is very important,” said the team’s leader.
“All the checkpoints are important,” Sergeant Perusich said.
“This was an insurgent area,” the man said.
“Everywhere was an insurgent area,” the sergeant said. “Don’t worry. We’ll get you guys what you need.”

This made me laugh because of how typical the dialog is between the Iraqis and the Marine. Our exchanges were always so humorous and dry and awkward at the same time.

Hold up. I think we replaced you. You're like what 2nd marines or something right?

Ethereal
11-11-2013, 10:39 PM
Hold up. I think we replaced you. You're like what 2nd marines or something right?

Yea, 2/5. Read those articles I posted.

The Wash
11-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Yea, 2/5. Read those articles I posted.

Damn small world. That's the corps.

fyrenza
11-11-2013, 10:45 PM
Life as a dependent doesn't count for much, but 19 years of my life were spent being military. ;)

Ocean? Could there be a certain little icon for our vets?

NOT that they'd ask for any "glory," but I'd like to know who to thank for the fact that

GOD gave me life and freedom of choice ~ VETS gave me the freedom to exercise it.

The Wash
11-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Life as a dependent doesn't count for much, but 19 years of my life were spent being military. ;)

NOT that they'd ask for any "glory," but I'd like to know who to thank for the fact that

GOD gave me life and freedom of choice ~ VETS gave me the freedom to exercise it.

Ma'am I appreciate what you're trying to do and I would love for that to be the case, but I didn't fight for your freedom. I don't even know what I was fighting for. Thank you tho.

fyrenza
11-11-2013, 11:10 PM
Part of it may have been some "career move,"

but you went where you asked to go, to do what all of us/US thought needed to be done,

and regardless of any lies that the general public may have believed,

it is the IDEAL of fighting for ALL of us/US that you were directly responsible for.

You laid your life on the line, and it wasn't for mere money or retirement benies ...

oceanloverOH
11-11-2013, 11:56 PM

fyrenza, that's a super idea, an icon specifically for the vets (I love your last sentence above). Unfortunately, tPF would have no way of veryifying someone's military service, nor could we ask....that falls under "information of a personal nature" and is only given at the decision of the poster. Plus, you would have those wackos who say they are active duty military serving in the ME when in reality they're some fat naked broad living in her Mom's basement in New Jersey with a couch to sleep on and a laptop. But thanks for the suggestion!

fyrenza
11-12-2013, 12:06 AM
¿WHY do we ALWAYS have to worry about the liars, and have everything sink to their level? ...

rhetorical question

keymanjim
11-12-2013, 12:18 AM
@fyrenza (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=817), that's a super idea, an icon specifically for the vets (I love your last sentence above). Unfortunately, tPF would have no way of veryifying someone's military service, nor could we ask....that falls under "information of a personal nature" and is only given at the decision of the poster. Plus, you would have those wackos who say they are active duty military serving in the ME when in reality they're some fat naked broad living in her Mom's basement in New Jersey with a couch to sleep on and a laptop. But thanks for the suggestion!
I see it as no different than asking them what state they're from.
US Navy. '85 to '89 BM2-SW. USS Moinester FF-1097.

The Wash
11-12-2013, 12:21 AM
I have no problem with the personal info. I don't want the "thanks". I'm not ungrateful for the spirit the honor is intended, but if I could go back and beat the shit out of that lying recruiter I would.

fyrenza
11-12-2013, 12:37 AM
<sigh> Hindsight ...

nathanbforrest45
11-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Fyr, we didn't go where we were asked to go, we went where we were TOLD to go. Or in my case where the ship took me. I am proud of my service and I am glad to have had the experience but truthfully, if I wasn't threatened with the draft at the time I doubt extremely seriously that I could claim I was a vet. I think those who joined post draft era deserve more praise than those of us who had the draft hanging over us so joined to have a choice in our imprisonment!

Codename Section
11-12-2013, 08:56 AM
I have no problem with the personal info. I don't want the "thanks". I'm not ungrateful for the spirit the honor is intended, but if I could go back and beat the shit out of that lying recruiter I would.

LOl This^

Terminal Lance
11-12-2013, 11:01 AM
USMC 2006- present/soon (Terminal) Lance Corporal

Codename Section
11-12-2013, 11:03 AM
USMC 2006- present/soon (Terminal) Lance Corporal

Hey little brother. :)

The Sage of Main Street
11-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Old Corps was the deal.

Older than my Corps. When I went in, we got rushed over there. The Old School Marines who had gone through extra training before us were pretty impressive. One of them put a willy peter rocket into a distant shrine that we Instant Marines couldn't have hit if we had stood next to it.

Same goes with the well-trained Marines who went into Haiti. One time we were patrolling through this village and the point ran into VC who were strolling along as if had been downtown Hanoi. Everybody panicked; bullets from both sides flew everywhere and hit nothing. In Haiti, the Marines ran into the same sudden surprise and quickly took care of business.

The Sage of Main Street
11-12-2013, 12:14 PM
I had that kind of luck. It's a hard luck to have.

Only the superstitious believe that it lasts. They die if they think God is saving them for civilian life.

Codename Section
11-12-2013, 12:17 PM
Older than my Corps. When I went in, we got rushed over there. The Old School Marines who had gone through extra training before us were pretty impressive. One of them put a willy peter rocket into a distant shrine that we Instant Marines couldn't have hit if we had stood next to it.

Same goes with the well-trained Marines who went into Haiti. One time we were patrolling through this village and the point ran into VC who were strolling along as if had been downtown Hanoi. Everybody panicked; bullets from both sides flew everywhere and hit nothing. In Haiti, the Marines ran into the same sudden surprise and quickly took care of business.

My father was a Vietnam Era vet, his father served in Korea, and his father was in WWII. Those pacific island hops and Korea were serious USMC greatness. Frozen Chosin.

The Sage of Main Street
11-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Damn small world. That's the corps.

On another site, I met someone who was in Foxtrot after I was in Hotel. Luckily, he got there after they had lost 59 dead (out of 150) one morning.

The Sage of Main Street
11-12-2013, 12:30 PM
Fyr, we didn't go where we were asked to go, we went where we were TOLD to go. Or in my case where the ship took me. I am proud of my service and I am glad to have had the experience but truthfully, if I wasn't threatened with the draft at the time I doubt extremely seriously that I could claim I was a vet. I think those who joined post draft era deserve more praise than those of us who had the draft hanging over us so joined to have a choice in our imprisonment!

You mean your Daddy couldn't have gotten you into the Heir National Guard, flying hungover joyrides and pretending to be Snoopy Against the Red Baron?

The Sage of Main Street
11-12-2013, 12:38 PM
My father was a Vietnam Era vet, his father served in Korea, and his father was in WWII. Those pacific island hops and Korea were serious USMC greatness. Frozen Chosin.

And the Army General Douglas MacArthur chose the Marines to go into Inchon for him, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

Codename Section
11-12-2013, 12:43 PM
And the Army General Douglas MacArthur chose the Marines to go into Inchon for him, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

I'm pretty fucking pissed that I got lied to about the wars and I'm glad that I'm out now after a decade of that, but I'm not where Ethereal and Cthulhu are about the corps and wanting it to be a bad memory or something (although Ethereal did get a little excited when we had to be Big Damn Heroes that one night). I loved the fraternity of the Marine Corps. I loved seeing what my body and mind could do. There were times where I felt like fucking superman.

I'll always be a marine.

oceanloverOH
11-12-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm pretty fucking pissed that I got lied to about the wars and I'm glad that I'm out now after a decade of that, but I'm not where Ethereal and Cthulhu are about the corps and wanting it to be a bad memory or something (although Ethereal did get a little excited when we had to be Big Damn Heroes that one night). I loved the fraternity of the Marine Corps. I loved seeing what my body and mind could do. There were times where I felt like fucking superman.

I'll always be a marine.

Once a Marine, always a Marine, Codename. Dad makes sure he still fits into his uniform, over 40 years after he retired (he's had to have it tailored twice, LOL....but who am I to talk, trying to wear my uniform is like putting 10 lb of manure into a 5 lb sack). He wants to be buried in his full dress blues, and I will take care of that when the time comes.

Codename Section
11-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Once a Marine, always a Marine, Codename. Dad makes sure he still fits into his uniform, over 40 years after he retired (he's had to have it tailored twice, LOL....but who am I to talk, trying to wear my uniform is like putting 10 lb of manure into a 5 lb sack). He wants to be buried in his full dress blues, and I will take care of that when the time comes.

Dammit you make me tear up! Stop it.

I want that, too. :(

oceanloverOH
11-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Only the superstitious believe that it lasts. They die if they think God is saving them for civilian life.

I don't know about that. Dad went to Nam 3 times, twice for a year with a year stateside in-between, and the last time for 6 months to supervise closedown operations. He was in Hueys that were shot down several times; engaged the enemy in rice paddies and jungles also several times. He never even suffered a scratch....and he says the time he was most scared was when he got charged by a water buffalo....dropped that sucker in its tracks with a rifle shot between the eyes (amazingly, he says that's the only kill he remembers....the mind does funny things with memories....one of the many facets of PTSD). He laughs about it now, but every time there was incoming while he was in camp, he was on the throne with a book, pants around ankles. He said he got to know the latrine floor VERY well, LOL.