PDA

View Full Version : UN Human Rights Chief Blames Security Counsel For Crackdown in Syria.....

MMC
02-13-2012, 01:19 PM
World powers meanwhile digested Arab League proposals from a meeting in Cairo on Sunday which called for a joint U.N.-Arab peacekeeping force for Syria and pledged to provide political and material aid to the opposition.

Russia, Assad's close ally and main arms supplier, said it could not support a peacekeeping mission unless both sides ceased the violence first. Some felt the moves might only fan the flames of war.

The United States and Europe are reluctant to get dragged in militarily, fearing that given Syria's position in the Middle East's religious, ethnic and political faultlines, this would be more risky and complicated than the NATO-led air support that helped Libyan rebels oust Muammar Gaddafi last year.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said any peacekeeping troops should come from non-Western countries: "I don't see the way forward in Syria as being Western boots on the ground in any form, including in any peacekeeping form."

France was unenthusiastic about sending in foreign troops. "We think that any external military intervention would only make the situation worse...," Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said.

The Arab League effort also highlighted regional rivalries. Its moves have been driven by Saudi Arabia and other Sunni-ruled Gulf monarchies who have long resented Assad's close ties to Shi'ite regional rival Iran.

The Free Syrian Army, led by military defectors, has taken the central role in armed opposition to the government. Accounts of action on the ground are difficult to verify because Syria restricts access by journalists.....snip~

http://news.yahoo.com/arabs-back-syria-opposition-homs-bombardment-resumes-002625523.html

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/BplSw9amVkQ1_C5tzv5BuQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9NDI2O2NyPTE7Y3c9NjMwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD00MjY7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/152/2012/02/13/358048443d27e904060f6a706700baa1-jpg_151657.jpg

Syrian Sunni Rebels.....

Conley
02-13-2012, 01:43 PM
This section:

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said any peacekeeping troops should come from non-Western countries: "I don't see the way forward in Syria as being Western boots on the ground in any form, including in any peacekeeping form."

France was unenthusiastic about sending in foreign troops. "We think that any external military intervention would only make the situation worse...," Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said.

Is extremely encouraging. I'm glad we're not dealing with another Libya type situation.

Peter1469
02-13-2012, 03:45 PM
There are no visitors from EXXON and BP in Western national capitals requesting western boots on the ground.

Conley
02-13-2012, 04:04 PM
True.

Alias
02-13-2012, 05:53 PM
Amazing to watch the hypocrisy. If Israel was murdering this many muslims, we would be hearing nonstop yelling and screaming about the evil illegal Zionist State who stole Muslim land.

Muslims are such fucking hypocrites.

MMC
02-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Well I think we knew all along the Sunni will say anything out their mouths to get their way. Most want to get in there and start killing Shia. Course the Saud just can't roll over the Border like they did in Bahrain. Still how people cannot see their strategy of using the West to accomplish what the Saud and the Sunni cannot do themselves is beyond me.

Mister D
02-13-2012, 07:54 PM
What are human rights and what does a Human Rights Chief do exactly?

Conley
02-13-2012, 07:56 PM
What are human rights and what does a Human Rights Chief do exactly?

If the job title has "UN" before it, probably nothing. :smiley:

Mister D
02-13-2012, 07:58 PM

:wink: Understood.

MMC
02-13-2012, 08:22 PM

:laugh: Plus a lifetime pension to go with it! :wink: