PDA

View Full Version : Iranian Attack Suspected in Thailand

Conley
02-14-2012, 09:26 AM
A series of explosions rocked a residential neighborhood here on Tuesday, including a blast caused by a man believed to be an Iranian national who threw a hand grenade at Thai police officers, a police official said.

The explosions came a day after bombers attacked Israeli Embassy personnel in the capitals of India and Georgia. Israel accused Iran of being behind the attacks, which the Tehran government denied.

Witnesses here said three men who did not appear to be ethnic Thais fled a house in the city’s Sukhumvit neighborhood after an explosion in the early afternoon tore off the roof.

Two of the men escaped, setting off a man hunt. The third man emerged from the house disoriented and tried to hail a taxi, witnesses said. When the taxi did not stop, he threw an explosive device, possibly a hand grenade, at the taxi, destroying the front half the vehicle, police said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/world/asia/explosions-in-bangkok-injures-suspected-iranian-national.html

It will probably come out that the target was an Israeli. Like we discussed, the Iranians are doing themselves no favor with these moves and China and Russia will have a hard time defending such actions.

Mister D
02-14-2012, 09:29 AM
Exactly.

Sounds like a bomb blew up prematurely?

Conley
02-14-2012, 09:35 AM
Exactly.

Sounds like a bomb blew up prematurely?

Maybe. Seems they blew the roof off a house, the front of a taxi, and then one of the three accidentally blew his legs off. These guys are not looking very elite.

Mister D
02-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Not at all. Clumsy and unsophisticated.

Conley
02-14-2012, 09:38 AM
One of the comments on the NYT suggests that Mossad is responsible for all this trying to make Iran look like the bad guy. Now that's cynical. Maybe the commenter is part of the Iranian campaign also. :laugh:

Mister D
02-14-2012, 09:40 AM
One of the comments on the NYT suggests that Mossad is responsible for all this trying to make Iran look like the bad guy. Now that's cynical. Maybe the commenter is part of the Iranian campaign also. :laugh:

The Zionist conspiracy guys are the worst. There were a few at PH.

Conley
02-14-2012, 09:46 AM
I suppose that no Israelis have been killed gives their argument a small fraction of weight, but now that the Thai police have an Iranian in custody that theory can't hold any water. The Israelis did pose as Irish/French/Germans in that assassination in Dubai. That was like something out a movie. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassination_of_Mahmoud_Al-Mabhouh

Anyhow, I agree the Zionist conspiracy thing is ridiculous.

Mister D
02-14-2012, 09:55 AM
I don't have time to read tia ll now but that looks pretty cool. I saw a documentary about other Mossad assassinations. They were chasing this dude around until they were able to oput a bomb in a cell phone and have him use it. Crazy story but awesome.

MMC
02-14-2012, 10:06 AM
WOW.....the Thai caught these guys and they are Iranian? That won' be looking to good for Iran. See how inept the Persians have become under Arab Rule. :laugh:

Conley
02-14-2012, 10:08 AM
They'll probably catch the other two also. It can't be easy being an Iranian trying to hide in Thailand.

Mister D
02-14-2012, 10:20 AM
This was just sloppy and amateurish. A real embarrassment to Iran.

Conley
02-14-2012, 10:31 AM
I'd bet the Thais will get to the bottom of this. They don't have a dog in this fight (until now) and are known for not treating prisoners with kid gloves.

Conley
02-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Four other people injured and it looks like they may have caught another Iranian at the airport.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17026007

RollingWave
02-14-2012, 12:30 PM
the story is bizzar as hell, you'd figure if you go through all the trouble of sneaking grenades into a foreign country and want to assasinate someone, you wouldn't give your self away just because a taxi driver ticked you off.

Either this guy is the worst assasin EVER, or he's intentionally getting nabbed by doing something really retarded.

Mister D
02-14-2012, 12:38 PM
From what i gather, it seems that after the bomb went off in his house it dazed him a bit. Throwing a grenade at a taxi is a crazy thing to do but he was wounded and probably not in his right mind after the blast.

Conley
02-14-2012, 12:43 PM
the story is bizzar as hell, you'd figure if you go through all the trouble of sneaking grenades into a foreign country and want to assasinate someone, you wouldn't give your self away just because a taxi driver ticked you off.

Either this guy is the worst assasin EVER, or he's intentionally getting nabbed by doing something really retarded.

It is bizarre but I think D is right. It sounds like they were building bombs in the house and had an accident. That blew the roof off. Two guys got out right away and ran for it, the third guy was injured and not thinking clearly. That guy then threw the grenade at the taxi, injured himself, and was apprehended. It's a good thing for all of us that a lot of these bomb guys end up as their own victims.

Peter1469
02-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Iran certainly has good intel officers. I imagine they contracted this out to help with plausible deniability.