PDA

View Full Version : A Very Unwelcome Visitor

GrassrootsConservative
12-07-2013, 06:12 PM
There is a squirrel in my basement. I heard noises down there and went to investigate. He ran into the cellar when I yelled at him and I shut the door and barricaded it shut.

A couple things:

How strong are they?

How smart are they?

I have to leave for work super soon I am already going to be late, but I have called and explained the situation and do have some time.

Adelaide
12-07-2013, 06:16 PM
I'd suggest animal control; you don't know what that thing could be carrying. As to how they behave, I think it could vary. They can be pretty savvy. If you have to go to work soon, I'm not sure you'd have time to call animal control unless you live with other people who can be there.

GrassrootsConservative
12-07-2013, 06:17 PM
No time. That's why I posted here. I cannot have him loose in the house destroying everything. I just want him to stay in there and die. Just want to make sure my barricade will hold.

PS Will squirrels eat rat poison and die?

Mister D
12-07-2013, 06:18 PM
There is a squirrel in my basement. I heard noises down there and went to investigate. He ran into the cellar when I yelled at him and I shut the door and barricaded it shut.

A couple things:

How strong are they?

How smart are they?

I have to leave for work super soon I am already going to be late, but I have called and explained the situation and do have some time.

barricaded it shut? :laugh: It's a not bear, bro.

jillian
12-07-2013, 06:18 PM
go to the local humane society and get a humane trap.

set it free outside.

don't bring it to the trap to the humane society after you catch it because they'll euthanize it.

kilgram
12-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Are squirrels so problematic?

We don't have any of those animals where I live.

Mister D
No time. That's why I posted here. I cannot have him loose in the house destroying everything. I just want him to stay in there and die. Just want to make sure my barricade will hold.

Ah, have some compassion. animal control will take care of it.

Chris
Squirrels are smart, there's no outsmarting them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZBzIJF6pNg

I've never been able to trap or poison one. I suggest a good strong slingshot or a 22.

GrassrootsConservative
barricaded it shut? :laugh: It's a not bear, bro.

:grin:

You should see what I did, got a huge metal plate and stuck it over the crack on the bottom of the door, then I leaned 3 folding chairs in front of it and stacked boxes all around.

Mister D
12-07-2013, 06:22 PM
:grin:

You should see what I did, got a huge metal plate and stuck it over the crack on the bottom of the door, then I leaned 3 folding chairs in front of it and stacked boxes all around.

Sealing the bottom makes sense.

shaarona
12-07-2013, 06:23 PM

A couple things:

How strong are they?

How smart are they?

We had a flying squirrel zipping back and forth across one of the kid's rooms.. (they'd left the window open all day so they could sun bathe on the roof)

My husband put on gloves and used a towel to trap it.. Then tossed it out the window.

GrassrootsConservative
12-07-2013, 06:24 PM

:laugh: my girlfriend said the same thing.

Fuck compassion. I like squirrels a lot, they are chipper and provide much outdoor entertainment.

But NOT in my HOUSE.

GrassrootsConservative
12-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Sealing the bottom makes sense.

Yes, especially since there is a big crack running along the bottom half. (about 3 inches wide and 4 inches from the bottom of the door)

Holy shit I can hear him (not sure what to call it, sounds like squeaking up here in my bedroom) trying to get out. It's kind of creepy.

shaarona
12-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Flying squirrel

http://www.batguys.com/contact/images/gal-flying-squirrel.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_WGHtUfnZKNk/SaKPb_Gv9rI/AAAAAAAADb4/CNwQJxv2sEY/s1600-h/flying_squirrel.jpg

jillian
12-07-2013, 06:28 PM

they can carry rabies like any other rodent. and you don't want one in your house.

jillian
12-07-2013, 06:29 PM

animal control will put it to sleep

Mister D
12-07-2013, 06:33 PM
animal control will put it to sleep

Really? :undecided: I guess he'll need a trap then.

Mister D
12-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Yes, especially since there is a big crack running along the bottom half. (about 3 inches wide and 4 inches from the bottom of the door)

Holy shit I can hear him (not sure what to call it, sounds like squeaking up here in my bedroom) trying to get out. It's kind of creepy.

Maybe if you left the doors wide open he'd head straight out...:undecided:

jillian
12-07-2013, 06:38 PM
Really? :undecided: I guess he'll need a trap then.

yep. he can get that from them. but then the squirrel should be set free. no reason to turn it over unless he thinks it's sick.

Dr. Who
12-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Does your basement have a window? If it opens, you can probably just shoo him out assuming you give him a way of reaching it.

Mister D
12-07-2013, 06:40 PM
And keep your basement windows closed, grass!

Dr. Who
12-07-2013, 06:40 PM
And keep your basement windows closed, grass!Well that might be a way to chase him out, without risking him running around the house.

Mister D
12-07-2013, 06:41 PM
I had a cat get in that way. I walked down the stairs one day and there was a neighborhood cat staring up from the bottom.

Mister D
12-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Well that might be a way to chase him out, without risking him running around the house.

True.

Dr. Who
12-07-2013, 06:46 PM
You know it's probably a female looking for a nice warm place to make a nest for the babies that she will have during the winter. The sooner you get her out of there the better. You really don't want it getting into the walls or attic space.

Captain Obvious
12-07-2013, 07:00 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002Y5US3S/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1386460778&sr=8-2&pi=SY200

Peter1469
12-07-2013, 07:05 PM

They will rip up a lot of stuff. And it might have rabies, so don't try to catch it yourself.

Peter1469
12-07-2013, 07:07 PM

The problem with poisoning it, is it may crawl into a place you can't get it, then it will decompose and stink up the place.

jillian
12-07-2013, 07:09 PM
The problem with poisoning it, is it may crawl into a place you can't get it, then it will decompose and stink up the place.

or poison other things.

but mostly, there's no reason to kill it unless there's something really wrong with it.

Peter1469
12-07-2013, 07:10 PM
or poison other things.

but mostly, there's no reason to kill it unless there's something really wrong with it.

The most important thing is to get it out of the house. But I wouldn't call an artillery strike on it- that would likely be counter-productive.

Dr. Who
12-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Since Grass has probably left for work, his best option, if he doesn't want to get near it, is to bring home a live trap which he can bait with a generous peanut butter sandwich. No squirrel can resist peanut butter.

Peter1469
12-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Since Grass has probably left for work, his best option, if he doesn't want to get near it, is to bring home a live trap which he can bait with a generous peanut butter sandwich. No squirrel can resist peanut butter.

That is what I would do.

jillian
12-07-2013, 07:20 PM

i grew up with a cocker spaniel who loved peanut butter. we used to give her the jar when we were done with it. watching her get to the peanut butter was the funniest.

Chris
12-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Squirrel Stew, Like Grandma Made. (http://www.food.com/recipe/squirrel-stew-like-grandma-made-76112)

Ingredients:

Servings:

2-3

Units: US | Metric

1 squirrel, cut up
flour
salt and pepper
2 1/2 tablespoons butter
7 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon thyme
1 cup corn
3 potatoes, cubed
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
3 medium onions, sliced
2 cups canned tomatoes with juice

Directions:

1 Roll the squirrel pieces in flour, salt, and pepper.
2 Brown in butter.
3 Add squirrel and all other ingredients, (with the exception of the tomatoes), to the boiling water, cover, and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
4 Add the tomatoes and continue to simmer another hour.

Dr. Who
12-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Why would anyone want to eat a squirrel - there's so little meat on the bones? I guess if there is nothing else, but you'd have to have several for a meal, if you're feeding more than just yourself.

oceanloverOH
12-07-2013, 08:19 PM

The room is sealed for now, which will keep the squirrel from tearing up other things, defecating throughout the house, etc. I think Dr. Who's suggestion is the very best one. But after you get it outside and set free, you will need to set about checking the basement walls, etc. to ensure there's no way it can get back in. Definitely don't even consider poison bait....I poisoned a mouse once that crawled into the wall and died....took it a good 6 weeks to decompose.....and the STENCH was horrendous. Good luck, Grassy, and keep us posted.

shaarona
12-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Why would anyone want to eat a squirrel - there's so little meat on the bones? I guess if there is nothing else, but you'd have to have several for a meal, if you're feeding more than just yourself.

I have cooked squirrel for my sons.. Rolled them in flour, salt and pepper, fried them and made a gravy with the drippings.

Mind you.. I couldn't eat them.. but the boys seem to love it.

Peter1469
12-07-2013, 08:39 PM

You shoot several (in the head or you lose the meat).

Dr. Who
12-07-2013, 08:40 PM
I have cooked squirrel for my sons.. Rolled them in flour, salt and pepper, fried them and made a gravy with the drippings.

Mind you.. I couldn't eat them.. but the boys seem to love it.

My mother grew up on a farm during the depression. Come winter they ate whatever fresh meat my grandfather and uncles would hunt, because they needed the livestock to breed so that they could have cash. They were pretty self-sufficient, but that didn't mean that they didn't eat various small game. Maybe not squirrel, but other small game that roamed the prairie.

Agravan
12-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Squirrel Stew, Like Grandma Made. (http://www.food.com/recipe/squirrel-stew-like-grandma-made-76112)

Ya beat me to it!! :)

Agravan
12-07-2013, 08:43 PM

When you're hungry, a nice, juicy squirrel is awesome. Plenty of times, growing up, it's all we had to eat. That and armadillo.

shaarona
12-07-2013, 08:45 PM
When you're hungry, a nice, juicy squirrel is awesome. Plenty of times, growing up, it's all we had to eat. That and armadillo.

Armadillo? Who knew? Does it taste like chicken??

Agravan
12-07-2013, 08:47 PM

You gotta wonder, what did the first person to eat a chicken say it tasted like?

jillian
12-07-2013, 08:47 PM

aside from the fact i'd never eat a squirrel, i wouldn't eat armadillo ever. they carry and can transmit leprosy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/health/28leprosy.html?_r=0

Captain Obvious
12-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Ive eaten squirrel before. Theyre good in spaghetti sauce.

Dr. Who
12-07-2013, 08:53 PM
aside from the fact i'd never eat a squirrel, i wouldn't eat armadillo ever. they carry and can transmit leprosy.

OK. Definitely won't be eating armadillo.

oceanloverOH
12-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Ugh. My meat grows fully formed in a chop or steak or shredded form, on a styrofoam plate at Kroger. I can't bear the idea of eating an animal, though I love meat. I guess if you're hungry enough to go out and shoot something.....but I'd probably eat dirt first. That's a topic for a whole 'nother thread!

jillian
12-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Ive eaten squirrel before. Theyre good in spaghetti sauce.

i don't eat cute food. lol

roadmaster
12-07-2013, 08:55 PM
You can always use ammonia, flashlights, leave a radio on when you leave and put cut up apples, things they like outside. Most of the time it is a mother looking to have babies so make sure all are out if you don't plan on eating them. We would have just grabbed it when I was young but if you don't know how to without getting bit better off with the others.

Peter1469
12-07-2013, 09:27 PM

The ones in and around Louisiana do. There were used as lab animals in the last Louisiana leprosy asylum and they got out somehow. But the ones who have leprosy are easy to spot.

GrassrootsConservative
12-08-2013, 05:31 AM
After work update:

There were actually 2 squirrels. One in the basement and the other was in the trash bag I had sitting in the sun room. Once I had the barricade up, I came back upstairs and that's when I heard the rustling. Well I called my girlfriend back and she told me to try to get that one outside. I opened the door and started yelling super loud, and the squirrel left

The barricade downstairs is holding up quite nicely. And I doubt I will smell the decomposition when he finally dies. I've poisoned mice before and they died without any stench.

jillian
12-08-2013, 06:10 AM
why would anyone poison a living creature that doesn't need to be killed?

Captain Obvious
12-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Squirrels are fascist scum.

keymanjim
12-08-2013, 08:54 AM
You can always use ammonia,
That's all you needed to say.
My mother had a problem with a raccoon in the ceiling over her kitchen. So, I dislodged some of the ceiling tiles, drilled some 1" holes and shoved sponges soaked in ammonia up there. The raccoon immediately ran for the hole. I did this several times to give her a chance to find somewhere else to nest and to get her babies there. When I knew she was out for good, I sealed the hole.

Peter1469
12-08-2013, 10:15 AM
why would anyone poison a living creature that doesn't need to be killed?

You can use Boric acid - it will dehydrate them and they will take off in search of water.

Chris
12-08-2013, 11:05 AM
After work update:

There were actually 2 squirrels. One in the basement and the other was in the trash bag I had sitting in the sun room. Once I had the barricade up, I came back upstairs and that's when I heard the rustling. Well I called my girlfriend back and she told me to try to get that one outside. I opened the door and started yelling super loud, and the squirrel left

The barricade downstairs is holding up quite nicely. And I doubt I will smell the decomposition when he finally dies. I've poisoned mice before and they died without any stench.

Now you have enough for dinner for two!

jillian
12-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Now you have enough for dinner for two!

he can't eat it if he poisoned it

Chris
12-08-2013, 11:21 AM
he can't eat it if he poisoned it

I suggested he slingshot or 22 it. Actually, a good pump-action BB gun would do.

oceanloverOH
12-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Please don't poison it, Grassy. I felt awful after I poisoned my mouse and swore not to ever do it again (it died a painful death, never mind the stinking decomposition process....I deserved to get nauseous after killing it so horribly). If you must kill it, you can try a large snap trap, meant for rats, that'll bait easily and at least kill it cleanly and quickly.

The Xl
12-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Poisoning it is pretty inhumane and frankly disgusting. If you need to kill it, their are certainly more humane ways.

jillian
12-08-2013, 11:57 AM
I suggested he slingshot or 22 it. Actually, a good pump-action BB gun would do.

again, why would anyone want to kill a creature there was no reason to kill?

The Xl
12-08-2013, 11:59 AM

Humans are pretty barbaric and arrogant creatures. It's a trend I've noticed.

oceanloverOH
12-08-2013, 12:06 PM

They are disease-carrying creatures, like rats and mice. They have to be kept out of human habitation for this reason. And squirrels, along with other pests, can be very destructive. Kill it if other means fail; but kill it quickly and humanely.

Chris
12-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Poisoning it is pretty inhumane and frankly disgusting. If you need to kill it, their are certainly more humane ways.

Humane? That's a question asked in Chimps Are People, Too? (http://thepoliticalforums.com/threads/19718-Chimps-Are-People-Too). Let's not anthropomorphize squirrels and chimps when we abort babies.

jillian
12-08-2013, 12:10 PM
Humans are pretty barbaric and arrogant creatures. It's a trend I've noticed.

you know, my husband worked with animals for a good chunk of his life. he has no problem with hunting and fishing. but if you're going to kill something it should be for food, not because you feel like killing it.

Chris
12-08-2013, 12:14 PM
you know, my husband worked with animals for a good chunk of his life. he has no problem with hunting and fishing. but if you're going to kill something it should be for food, not because you feel like killing it.

I provided a recipe for squirrel stew last night.

GrassrootsConservative
12-08-2013, 12:15 PM

He's currently being buried alive. :laugh:

Peter1469
12-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Please don't poison it, Grassy. I felt awful after I poisoned my mouse and swore not to ever do it again (it died a painful death, never mind the stinking decomposition process....I deserved to get nauseous after killing it so horribly). If you must kill it, you can try a large snap trap, meant for rats, that'll bait easily and at least kill it cleanly and quickly.

It may not kill a squirrel quickly. We used those traps at work to catch a rat, and it bit its tail off to get away. Then we added poison. Luckily, we caught him dragging himself along in the open.

Chris
12-08-2013, 12:27 PM
It may not kill a squirrel quickly. We used those traps at work to catch a rat, and it bit its tail off to get away. Then we added poison. Luckily, we caught him dragging himself along in the open.

Hah! I'm reminded of Poe's The Cask of Amontillado.

GrassrootsConservative
12-08-2013, 01:17 PM
After thinking and researching more about decomposition, I called my girlfriend and told her I was going to the cellar to see about the squirrel. The cellar was empty from what I could see with my flashlight, and I think he must have gotten outside somehow.

What are the odds that it had already died in the short course of the last day he's been stuck down there?

Chris
12-08-2013, 01:25 PM
After thinking and researching more about decomposition, I called my girlfriend and told her I was going to the cellar to see about the squirrel. The cellar was empty from what I could see with my flashlight, and I think he must have gotten outside somehow.

What are the odds that it had already died in the short course of the last day he's been stuck down there?

Slim. Like I said initially, they're smarter than hell. They probably tiptoed out behind you while you were searching with flashlight.

GrassrootsConservative
12-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Slim. Like I said initially, they're smarter than hell. They probably tiptoed out behind you while you were searching with flashlight.

I would believe it.

To be honest, it did feel like I dealt with it in a manner much too easy to have been successful. But he's gone and I don't think he died. And I am very happy for that. I don't like to kill anything if I can help it.

Thanks for all the wonderful help and input everyone. Even jillian. :tongue:

Dr. Who
12-08-2013, 02:26 PM
I would believe it.

To be honest, it did feel like I dealt with it in a manner much too easy to have been successful. But he's gone and I don't think he died. And I am very happy for that. I don't like to kill anything if I can help it.

Thanks for all the wonderful help and input everyone. Even jillian. :tongue:

Have you figured out how it got in?

Peter1469
12-08-2013, 03:00 PM

If it had a way out, not likely.

GrassrootsConservative
12-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Have you figured out how it got in?

I think the tube on the back of my drier.

Dr. Who
12-08-2013, 03:19 PM
I think the tube on the back of my drier.You might consider using a louvered drier vent or adding a piece of hardware cloth or chicken wire to the existing vent to prevent future intruders.

Max Rockatansky
12-08-2013, 08:48 PM

Yes, but they'll stink. Better to rig a squirrel snare. Do you have access to safety wire? Rig a 3-4 inch diameter log, about 3-4 feet long, as show below and place it in your basement. You an put food at the top of the log for bait. A tablespoon of peanut butter will work. They're good eating, but not if poisoned.

http://survival.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/2012/08/survival-skills-how-make-squirrel-pole-snare

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-a-Squirrel-Snare

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhLBXC4pz-c">
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhLBXC4pz-c (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhLBXC4pz-c)

Chloe
12-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Don't kill it. I can assure you it probably wants out of your house and to be back in the wild just as much as you want it out of your house. It didn't enter your house to hurt anything or anybody and so I think that you should make every attempt to allow it to leave naturally and safely in my opinion even if it isn't the easiest way to deal with it.

Peter1469
12-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Don't kill it. I can assure you it probably wants out of your house and to be back in the wild just as much as you want it out of your house. It didn't enter your house to hurt anything or anybody and so I think that you should make every attempt to allow it to leave naturally and safely in my opinion even if it isn't the easiest way to deal with it.

It seems as if the critter did get outside.

Chloe
12-08-2013, 08:59 PM
It seems as if the critter did get outside.

oh ok good

Max Rockatansky
12-08-2013, 09:01 PM

Squirrels are tree rats. Very destructive to houses and mighty tasty to boot. Sorry, I'd love to save all the puppies and kittens in the world too, but a squirrel just isn't looking to get out, they are looking for food and a good place to nest. A house is perfect on both counts.

GrassrootsConservative
12-08-2013, 09:23 PM
oh ok good
Chloe yeah it got out *I think.* I tried to let it go today and it was seemingly gone. Not sure how although I have my suspicions, one involving the space above the basement that is accessible through the ceiling of the cellar. Not sure where it went from there, but I haven't heard any noises all since I got home from work last night, so I think I can safely say that it has made it's way outside somehow.

And that's what's best. I really didn't want to have to kill it, but the time it takes to chase a squirrel from my basement and out the back door just wasn't worth me losing my job over. Although my boss saying "It's not everyday you have a squirrel break into your house" sounded pretty understanding, and when I told all my coworkers the details of both squirrels they seemed very entertained.

I guess that's it, then. I have put a temporary fix of one of these:

... duct taped around the only way I could see them possibly getting in. That allows the gas from my drier to escape the pipe without allowing anything bigger than a mosquito hunter in. /Thread for all intents and purposes.

Thanks again, everyone!

oceanloverOH
12-08-2013, 09:41 PM
I think this is what was in your basement!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S_F9U9gNEQ

Max Rockatansky
12-09-2013, 06:05 AM
i don't eat cute food. lol

Tofu lover? :D

Veal on the hoof or a future T-bone
https://blogs.lt.vt.edu/mtivenan/files/2012/11/baby-jersey-cow.jpg

Next year's bacon, pork shoulder and Christmas ham:
http://images.amcnetworks.com/ifc.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/cute-piglet-ONN.jpg

countryboy
12-09-2013, 06:43 AM
I know I'm late to the thread, but I have a special stun gun for squirrels. Stuns 'em real good. :D

shaarona
12-09-2013, 07:10 AM
@Chloe (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=565) yeah it got out *I think.* I tried to let it go today and it was seemingly gone. Not sure how although I have my suspicions, one involving the space above the basement that is accessible through the ceiling of the cellar. Not sure where it went from there, but I haven't heard any noises all since I got home from work last night, so I think I can safely say that it has made it's way outside somehow.

And that's what's best. I really didn't want to have to kill it, but the time it takes to chase a squirrel from my basement and out the back door just wasn't worth me losing my job over. Although my boss saying "It's not everyday you have a squirrel break into your house" sounded pretty understanding, and when I told all my coworkers the details of both squirrels they seemed very entertained.

I guess that's it, then. I have put a temporary fix of one of these:

... duct taped around the only way I could see them possibly getting in. That allows the gas from my drier to escape the pipe without allowing anything bigger than a mosquito hunter in. /Thread for all intents and purposes.

Thanks again, everyone!

My brother had a problem with mice running back and forth across the pergola at night.. The dogs have a small doggie door so they could run in and out of the house and that kept the mice off the ground..

He bought some sort of special caulk and sealed up every tiny access to the attic spaces.. and did the trick..

Cthulhu
12-09-2013, 09:27 AM
they can carry rabies like any other rodent. and you don't want one in your house.

Actually, this is incorrect. I found that our the hard way with my son at Glacier Park. Squirrels for whatever reason to not carry rabies. I always though they did too until the nurses filled me in.

The medical science on this I have not uncovered though, just my personal story, and a non-rabid son.

Cthulhu
12-09-2013, 09:32 AM

Yes. Decon will do the trick. Although you better be prepared for your place to stick for roughly a month if it dies inside your walls. Decon kills by breaking down the blood ability to clot while lacerating the bowels. They die thirsty looking for water. So you usually find them at water sources.

Although you could borrow a neighbors cat and put it in there as well. That would work too.

strollingbonez
12-09-2013, 09:48 AM
lol squirrels are a mess they just nibble thru stuff....if you take them in a humane trap and relocate them ...the native squirrels will kill them.....squirrels are very territorial....but dont be hating on them...they will adopted orphan babies and raise them

okay here is what you have to do..figure out what type of squirrel and when it is out...seal the place..steal wool all holes...no matter how small...and hope

strollingbonez
12-09-2013, 09:48 AM
do not grab the squirrel it will bite you....badly and then you get to undergo shots

GrassrootsConservative
12-09-2013, 01:06 PM
do not grab the squirrel it will bite you....badly and then you get to undergo shots

:laugh: Serious advice? If I grab a squirrel it will bite me? I had no idea.

Cthulhu
12-09-2013, 01:23 PM
You could always borrow a friend's ferret too. That would take care of it. Or a hungry snake.

Alternatively, if you want to coax it out, you can play high frequency tones to piss it off to the point of leaving.

countryboy
12-09-2013, 01:31 PM
Yes. Decon will do the trick. Although you better be prepared for your place to stick for roughly a month if it dies inside your walls. Decon kills by breaking down the blood ability to clot while lacerating the bowels. They die thirsty looking for water. So you usually find them at water sources.

Although you could borrow a neighbors cat and put it in there as well. That would work too.
I don't believe decon will kill squirrels or chipmunks. They are not easy to poison. I have had limited success live trapping chipmunks and squirrels. You have to bait and set up the traps in a very specific way. Of course after I live trap them they go for a little swim in the pond. I have also had some success with chipmunks using a device called the Rat Zapper. But that too has to be set up in a very specific manner.

My break barrel pellet gun with scope is the best way to control them. :wink:

countryboy
12-09-2013, 01:33 PM
:laugh: Serious advice? If I grab a squirrel it will bite me? I had no idea.
I wouldn't worry too much, they don't eat much. :D

Cthulhu
12-09-2013, 01:36 PM
I don't believe decon will kill squirrels or chipmunks. They are not easy to poison. I have had limited success live trapping chipmunks and squirrels. You have to bait and set up the traps in a very specific way. Of course after I live trap them they go for a little swim in the pond. I have also had some success with chipmunks using a device called the Rat Zapper. But that too has to be set up in a very specific manner.

I have had some success when using it when working pest control. But the most effective method is deterring them. Critter Away works marvelously. But so does having a predatory animals known to hunt and eat them - cats, snakes, ferrets etc...

countryboy
12-09-2013, 01:47 PM
I have had some success when using it when working pest control. But the most effective method is deterring them. Critter Away works marvelously. But so does having a predatory animals known to hunt and eat them - cats, snakes, ferrets etc...
Where I live, there's no deterring them. I keep the house pretty tight, and have never had anything other than bats sneak though. But out buildings and vehicles are fair game. I have had car wires chewed up a few times over the years, the last time to the tune of $500. We do use critter repellent for the deer.

Cthulhu
12-09-2013, 01:57 PM
Where I live, there's no deterring them. I keep the house pretty tight, and have never had anything other than bats sneak though. But out buildings and vehicles are fair game. I have had car wires chewed up a few times over the years, the last time to the tune of $500. We do use critter repellent for the deer.

If you can get your hands on some fox urine that might help out, or coyote urine. Wolf urine I have heard helps keep the deer away, but have no evidence to that effect - but it would make sense.

roadmaster
12-10-2013, 06:49 PM
What I have found that works if you want to release them is an item called the catchmaster. It's a glue like paper and it's fairly cheap to buy. It will catch a mouse, snake ect. I use them when it gets cold and critters try to come in.

Max Rockatansky
12-10-2013, 08:41 PM

Being proactive is always a good measure, but sometimes local legalities are involved.

I've always had good luck with the aforementioned squirrel snare since it doesn't rely on bait, but simple squirrel laziness to work. A slanted pole is an easier climb than straight up a tree.