PDA

View Full Version : FBI Raids Suspected Anonymous Hackers From California to New Jersey.....

MMC
07-20-2011, 08:20 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/technology-blog/fbi-raids-suspected-anonymous-hackers-york-182545511.html

Internet "hacktivist" group Anonymous was the target of a bevy of early morning raids conducted at homes in Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, the District of Columbia, Florida, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Mexico and Ohio. FBI agents used search warrants to obtain computers and other electronics from the residences and arrested a total of 16 individuals with ages ranging from teens all the way to early 40s. Along with legal names, the indictment also notes screen names and internet monikers used by the group to communicate anonymously.

According to a press release from the Department of Justice, today's arrests focused primarily on Anonymous members who waged a cyber war on PayPal. Anonymous was allegedly inspired to hack the online payment company in "Operation Avenge Assange" after Paypal refused to accept donations for Wikileaks, the well-known whistleblower site headed by Julian Assange.

LulzSec says it has stuff on News Corp.....more than what he says he was responsible for releasing what he did on the UK Sun. Seems the FBI is making moves with those new cyber laws as well. Teenagers arrested too. Thoughts? :-\

Conley
07-20-2011, 09:10 AM
I know a fair bit about LulzSec, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they've got stuff on NewsCorp. They gotten a lot of dirt on a lot of companies; they kind of consider themselves a hacktivist group like wikileaks. The attacks against corporations have been going on well before the NewsCorp stuff broke, so I don't think the FBI sting is directly related to that, though that may have sped things up. If they've got the info though it will definitely be released. They'll upload it to a torrent and everyone will share it around the globe. However, also have to keep in mind these are teens and often into bragging...their barks are often worse than their bites.

Mister D
07-20-2011, 09:46 AM
Arrest and prosecute them all.

Conley
07-20-2011, 09:47 AM
You do the crime, you do the time.

Mister D
07-20-2011, 10:28 AM

Exactly.

I find it particularly loathesome that these guys act like their hotshots.

Conley
07-20-2011, 10:43 AM

Exactly.

Yeah, I think it's the anonymity of the internet...a lot of them probably get bullied in school so they can go online and then feel empowered. It's a way for them to 'stick it to the man' and do some bullying themselves. I bet most of them crap themselves when the FBI shows up, I know I would, especially these days when you can get charged with cyberterrorism and be held in Gitmo indefinitely :o

Mister D
07-20-2011, 11:03 AM

Exactly.

Yeah, I think it's the anonymity of the internet...a lot of them probably get bullied in school so they can go online and then feel empowered. It's a way for them to 'stick it to the man' and do some bullying themselves. I bet most of them crap themselves when the FBI shows up, I know I would, especially these days when you can get charged with cyberterrorism and be held in Gitmo indefinitely :o

Can you imagine the FBI showing up at your door? :o I bet you're right about the psychology.

MMC
07-20-2011, 01:40 PM
What surprised me was the guys in their 40's..... but yeah think wht those looks on the kids faces are like. Plus you know some of them will be given the deal to work for the US against cyber-terrorism.....

Captain Obvious
07-20-2011, 07:29 PM
What a fucking concept - track down and arrest internet criminals.

Next thing you know we'll be holding the Chinese and North Koreans politically responsible for internet hacking assaults.

... of course that means that they would reciprocate when we hack their shit also.

Juggernaut
07-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Lock them up and send the CIA to take out the Chicom and KO hackers. Bunch of punks interfering in the real world. They don't feed'em Hot Pockets in prison. 8)

Conley
07-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Jim Gaffigan - Hot Pockets. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw7xPaL56Ow#)

Juggernaut
07-20-2011, 08:21 PM
LOL!! ;D

waltky
04-12-2016, 09:47 PM
Hackers hackin' into police stations...
:angry:
Criminal Hackers Set Sights on Police Stations
April 12, 2016 - FBI says there is a fast-growing threat to vulnerable individuals, companies and low-profile critical infrastructure, from hospitals and schools to police stations.

Three weeks ago, a debilitating digital virus spread quickly in computer networks at three Southern California hospitals owned by Prime Healthcare Services. Using a pop-up window, hackers demanded about $17,000 in the hard-to-trace cybercurrency called Bitcoin to destroy the virus they had implanted. The virus had encrypted medical and other data so it was impossible to access. The company says it defeated the cyberattack without paying a ransom. But it acknowledged some cancer patients were temporarily prevented from receiving radiology treatments, and other operations were disrupted briefly while computer systems were down.

The attempted extortion by criminal hackers was the latest case of what the FBI says is a fast-growing threat to vulnerable individuals, companies and low-profile critical infrastructure, from hospitals and schools to police stations. The security breaches -- which temporarily disable digital networks but usually don't steal the data -- not only have endangered public safety, but revealed a worrying new weakness as public and private institutions struggle to adapt to the digital era. So-called ransomware attacks have surged so sharply that the FBI says companies have paid more than $209 million in ransom payments in the first three months of this year -- compared with $25 million in all of 2015. The FBI has not reported any arrests.

Government officials are particularly concerned that hackers could lock up digital networks that run the electrical grid and oil and natural gas lines, said a Department of Homeland Security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal assessments. "Ransomware is a growing threat to businesses and individuals alike," Chris Stangl, a section chief in the FBI's cyber division, said in a statement to the Los Angeles Times. Companies should train employees not to open digital attachments or to click on unfamiliar Web links in emails that might contain viruses or other malware, Stangl said. They also should back up critical data and use up-to-date virus detection software.

MORE (http://www.officer.com/news/12194048/criminal-hackers-setting-sights-on-police-stations)

waltky
02-01-2017, 04:24 AM
I've locked myself outta my room - an' I can't get back in...
http://www.politicalforum.com/images/smilies/icon_omg.gif
Austrian hotel says hackers held key system for ransom
Wed, Feb 01, 2017 - The ransom demand arrived one recent morning by e-mail, after about a dozen guests were locked out of their rooms at the lakeside Alpine hotel in Austria.

The electronic key system at the picturesque Romantik Seehotel Jaegerwirt had been infiltrated, and the hotel was locked out of its own computer system, leaving guests stranded in the lobby, causing confusion and panic. “Good morning?” the e-mail began, hotel managing director Christoph Brandstaetter said. It went on to demand a ransom of two bitcoins, or about US$1,800, and warned that the cost would double if the hotel did not comply with the demand by the end of the day, Jan. 22.

The e-mail included details of a “bitcoin wallet” — the account in which to deposit the money — and ended with the words: “Have a nice day!” Brandstaetter said. With the 111-year-old hotel brimming with eager skiers, hikers and vacationers, some having paid about US$530 for a suite with a panoramic view and sauna, Brandstaetter said he decided to cave in. Guests had already complained that their electronic room keys were not working, and receptionists’ efforts to create new ones had proved futile.

The reservation system for the hotel in the village of Turracherhohe, about 90 minutes by car from Salzburg, Austria, was paralyzed. “We were at maximum capacity with 180 guests and decided that it was better to give in,” Brandstaetter said. “The hackers were very pushy.” “Ransomware is becoming a pandemic,” said Tony Neate, a former British police officer who investigated cybercrime for 15 years.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2017/02/01/2003664151