PDA

View Full Version : Crockpot Magic

oceanloverOH
12-12-2013, 10:08 AM
It's a VERY cold day here in west central OH (wind chill was 7F this morning; brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) and I thought, time for some comfort food. Here's a really good recipe that I made this morning (@Mister D, you might like this one). I started preparing it at 7:30 a.m. and had it in the crockpot by 8:30 a.m. It's now merrily cooking itself (I LOVE my crockpot)!

Crockpot Swiss Steak
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 10 hours
Total: 11 hours

¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1½ to 2 lbs round steak
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 large stalks celery, chopped
1 medium sweet onion, sliced in thin strips
2 cans stewed tomatoes with juice, chopped coarsely
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp oregano

Cut round steak into medium size pieces (about palm-size). In a pie pan, mix the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Lightly coat the round steak pieces in the flour mixture. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, Brown the round steak pieces until lightly browned. Place the celery and onion on the bottom of crockpot; place steak on top of vegetables. In a medium bowl, mix the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, paprika, and oregano; add on top of steak. Cover, and cook 10 hours on Low. When done, mix well and thicken gravy if necessary with cornstarch/water blend, or thin with a little water. Serve over mashed potatoes.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 10:11 AM
:(

I wish I could make this.

Captain Obvious
12-12-2013, 10:14 AM
We might make that.

oceanloverOH
12-12-2013, 10:16 AM

It's really not hard. You need the ingredients, a cutting board, large skillet, a sharp knife, and a crockpot; that's it. Do you have a crockpot, or do you have a ladyfriend with a crockpot? This one lends itself well to waking up early together in the morning and cooking together. Really "homey".............

Captain Obvious
12-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Ladyfriend?

Yeah, the wife and I use a crock pot all the time - especially now that it's getting cold outside. We cook crock pot dinners probably 2 or 3 times a week.

oceanloverOH
12-12-2013, 10:17 AM
We might make that.

Let me know if you like it, Capt.

MrJimmyDale
12-12-2013, 10:18 AM
My stomach just growled after reading that!!!!! What time is supper? I'll bring a pie!!!!

oceanloverOH
12-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Ladyfriend?

Yeah, the wife and I use a crock pot all the time - especially now that it's getting cold outside. We cook crock pot dinners probably 2 or 3 times a week.

LOL, the "ladyfriend" comment was for Code; he's not married. You're an old married fart like me.

Captain Obvious
12-12-2013, 10:22 AM
LOL, the "ladyfriend" comment was for Code; he's not married. You're an old married fart like me.

Oh.

D'oh!

shaarona
12-12-2013, 10:30 AM
It's a VERY cold day here in west central OH (wind chill was 7F this morning; brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) and I thought, time for some comfort food. Here's a really good recipe that I made this morning (@Mister D, you might like this one). I started preparing it at 7:30 a.m. and had it in the crockpot by 8:30 a.m. It's now merrily cooking itself (I LOVE my crockpot)!

Crockpot Swiss Steak
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 10 hours
Total: 11 hours

¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1½ to 2 lbs round steak
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
4 large stalks celery, chopped
1 medium sweet onion, sliced in thin strips
2 cans stewed tomatoes with juice, chopped coarsely
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp oregano

Cut round steak into medium size pieces (about palm-size). In a pie pan, mix the flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Lightly coat the round steak pieces in the flour mixture. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat, Brown the round steak pieces until lightly browned. Place the celery and onion on the bottom of crockpot; place steak on top of vegetables. In a medium bowl, mix the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, minced garlic, paprika, and oregano; add on top of steak. Cover, and cook 10 hours on Low. When done, mix well and thicken gravy if necessary with cornstarch/water blend, or thin with a little water. Serve over mashed potatoes.

You are a natural.......

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 10:31 AM
It's really not hard. You need the ingredients, a cutting board, large skillet, a sharp knife, and a crockpot; that's it. Do you have a crockpot, or do you have a ladyfriend with a crockpot? This one lends itself well to waking up early together in the morning and cooking together. Really "homey".............

Haha I have many ladyfriends.

oceanloverOH
12-12-2013, 10:40 AM
You are a natural.......

Why, thank you, shaarona!

Polecat
12-12-2013, 10:45 AM
Sounds like a good recipe. I slobber freely with anticipation.

Max Rockatansky
12-12-2013, 10:48 AM

Crock pot cooking is easy. All recipes are just guidelines. The main thing to watch for is proper cooking time for meats, especially pork and chicken. Undercooked beef isn't much of a problem unless it's hamburger or other store-chopped meat that might have been exposed to E. Coli.

Chili, gumbo and other stews are pretty tough to screw up. I often make "What's in the Fridge and Pantry" stew. Fresh veggies like carrots, celery, potatoes and onion are good, but frozen or canned peas, carrots, corn, etc work just as well. Rice or potatoes are good, but if fresh can take several hours to cook. Boiling them first in pot then tossing them in the crockpot speeds up the process to a couple of hours.

I don't like to cook, but I really like to eat. My ex-wife was a great cook, but rarely did it, so I learned to do it myself when home and she was at work.

A decent 6 quart crockpot with a off, low and high heat setting is all you need. $30 tops.

Haha I have many ladyfriends.

If you find one you're interested in keeping around, you'd impress the shit out of her by knowing the basics of cooking and treat her to a nice meal. That has the advantage of getting her over to your place.

shaarona
12-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Why, thank you, @shaarona (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=434)!

You know I think that successful crockpot cooking is about NOT using too much liquid. A little goes a long way.. and could be introduced in the form of Cream of Mushroom soup or Cream of celery.. or Consomme or Cream of Chicken Soup.

I make a killer chicken and dumplings.. I poach chicken breasts very tenderly with some carrots and celery ... Tear the breasts into large pieces .. add Cream of chicken soup... . and then do the Bisquick drop dumpings.

Some girls from upstate SC taught me.. Its quite good.