PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Most Americans Think Gun Control Won't Prevent Another Sandy Hook

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 11:14 AM
Since I've never had a gun actually rise up against me and attempt to take my life, nor did the teddy bear my mom bought me when I was little, I came to the conclusion that inanimate objects don't actually hurt people and maybe it's humans behind these nefarious things.

I guess other people agree with me:

http://reason.com/blog/2013/12/12/americans-think-better-mental-health-2

Americans Think Better Mental Health Services, Better Parenting and Armed Guards are More Likely Than Gun Control to Stop a School Shooting (http://reason.com/blog/2013/12/12/americans-think-better-mental-health-2) Emily Ekins (http://reason.com/people/emily-ekins/all)|Dec. 12, 2013 9:45 am
A year after the Sandy Hook Elementary School mass shooting inwhich 20 children and six adults were killed, just 16 percent ofAmericans believe stricter gun control laws would have been mosteffective in preventing the tragedy. While this does notnecessarily mean they do not support stricter gun rules, itdemonstrates that their priorities lie elsewhere.

When asked to select the most important factor that may haveprevented the Newtown shooting, nearly a third of respondents, 27percent, told theReason-Rupe poll (http://reason.com/assets/db/1386745296838.pdf) that better mental health treatment is themost important factor in preventing the tragedy at Sandy Hook.

Twenty-two percent say better parenting is most critical, and 20percent say having armed school officials or armed guards on sitewould have been the most likely way to prevent the tragedy.

The fourth most preferred approach was stricter gun controllaws, selected by 16 percent of respondents in the Reason-Rupepoll (http://reason.com/assets/db/1386745296838.pdf).

Reducing the violence in media and video games was cited byeight percent of Americans as the best way to prevent the schoolshooting.
http://cloudfront-media.reason.com/mc/eekins/2013_12/guncontrol2/guncontrol3.jpg?h=416&w=450
Republicans place the greatest importance on better mentalhealth treatment (26 percent), armed guards on site (25 percent),and better parenting (22 percent). Only one in 10 Republicans saythat stricter gun control is the most important factor that couldhave been used to prevent the Sandy Hook tragedy.

Max Rockatansky
12-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Since I've never had a gun actually rise up against me and attempt to take my life, nor did the teddy bear my mom bought me when I was little, I came to the conclusion that inanimate objects don't actually hurt people and maybe it's humans behind these nefarious things.

Given the vast amount of evidence, I tend to agree with you. OTOH, I once had a heavy glass ashtray fall of a table onto my foot. I think it fell on purpose, so I'm reserving judgment about banning heavy glass ashtrays. Otherwise you are correct, it's the people, not the inanimate objects.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 11:41 AM
We don't treat the mentally ill in this country. I don't even think we know enough to do it.

nic34
12-12-2013, 12:02 PM
Let's quit ignoring the "elephant" in the room.....

Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; Support For Universal Gun Background Checks Is 92%

Voters support 52 - 43 percent stricter nationwide gun-control laws. Attitudes on other gun-control issues are:
56 - 39 percent support for a ban on the sale of assault weapons, with voters in gun households opposing a ban 52 - 44 percent;
56 - 40 percent support for a ban on the sale of high capacity magazines holding more than 10 rounds, with voters in gun households opposed 52 - 45 percent;

46 percent say the National Rifle Association better reflects their view on guns, with 43 percent who say President Barack Obama better reflects their views.

"There is no significant voter opposition to requiring background checks for gun buyers," said Brown, "and there is support for banning high volume ammunition clips and assault weapons, with the issue pretty much falling along party lines.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=1847

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 12:04 PM
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/images/map-overall-medication-2011-550px.jpg

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 12:05 PM

Quinnipiac University National Poll Finds; Support For Universal Gun Background Checks Is 92%

Depends on how you ask the question but we already have those anyway. Have you tried buying a gun? They run a background check on you. Backdoor sales you won't prevent ever. Ask the 420 club how that works.

Max Rockatansky
12-12-2013, 12:08 PM
We don't treat the mentally ill in this country. I don't even think we know enough to do it.

Correct. Sandy Hook helped a bit....after four months of the Democrats screaming to ban guns ended in failure, but we still have a long way to go.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/12/10/usa-has-made-slight-progress-on-mental-health-since-newtown/3955499/

Advocates for the mentally ill say the USA has made fitful progress in the year since the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School turned the country's attention to failures in the mental health system.

Thirty-six states and the District of Columbia increased funding for mental health after the shootings in Newtown, Conn., partly due to the improving economy, according to a new report from the National Alliance on Mental Illness, or NAMI.

Lawmakers in nearly a dozen states also passed or strengthened laws that could allow more people to receive court-ordered treatment for symptoms of severe mental illness, according to the Treatment Advocacy Center.

And the White House -- which in June hosted a National Conference on Mental Health -- on Tuesday promised $100 million to increase access and quality of mental health services. President Obama put improving access to mental health services at the center of his response to Newtown, along with limiting access to the kinds of weapons used in the attack.

"Unfortunately, it often takes a tragedy to tip the balance," said Doris Fuller, executive director of the Treatment Advocacy Center, in a statement. "Some of the bills that passed in 2013 have been under consideration in one form or another for years. What changed with Sandy Hook was that the public demand and official will for them to pass grew."

An investigation of the Newtown shootings, released last month by Connecticut, concluded that the shooter, Adam Lanza, "had significant mental health issues that affected his ability to live a normal life and to interact with others." Lanza shot and killed 20 schoolchildren and six educators at Sandy Hook nearly one year ago, on Dec. 14, 2012, along with his mother and himself.

Since then, Texas boosted mental health funding by $259 million, the biggest increase in state history, according to the NAMI report. Texas also passed a law requiring teachers and students to undergo training in how to recognize and respond to symptoms of suicide or mental illness.

According to the White House, half of the $100 million will come through the new health care law to help community centers provide more mental health services. The other $50 million, via the Department of Agriculture, will help finance rural mental health facilities.

Yet even these improvements don't come close to making up for years of neglect and deep budget cuts to mental health, said Ron Manderscheid, executive director of the National Association of County Behavioral Health & Developmental Disability Directors.

States made $4.35 billion in budget cuts from fiscal year 2009 to 2012, according to the NAMI report. The number of public psychiatric beds has fallen 90% since the 1950s, according to the Treatment Advocacy Center.

"In most communities, there isn't the capacity to care for people who need care," Manderscheid said.

Thomas Insel, director of the National Institute for Mental Health, said he hopes the country remains committed to helping these patients and their families, even as time passes.

"This is a long-term problem that will require making mental health care a priority," Insel said.

Patient advocates disagree about whether the stigma of mental illness has improved.

The violence in Newtown, and in attacks such as the September shooting at the Washington Navy Yard, have led some people to assume that all people with mental illness are violent, Manderscheid said. In general, he said, people with a mental illness are no more violent than others.

In an appearance on Meet the Press after the Washington Navy Yard shooting in September, a National Rife Association official said that the way to prevent future atrocities is to lock up more mentally ill people in psychiatric hospitals. "If we leave these homicidal maniacs on the street ... they're going to kill," said Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's executive vice president. "They need to be committed."

But others say that the Newtown tragedy has led to more open discussions of mental health -- some of them led by the White House,

"There is a change in the way that this illness is discussed," said Mark Covall, president and CEO of the National Association of Psychiatric Health Systems. "It used to be seen as 'these people are violent and we don't want to deal with it.' Now, these folks are increasingly being viewed as our neighbors, our family members, and there is more of a sense that it can happen to anyone."

Congressional efforts to improve mental health – which were attached as an amendment to gun control legislation – have been "in limbo" ever since the gun control bill failed, Manderscheid said. Covall said he holds out hopes for new mental health legislation from Rep. Tim Murphy, R-Pa., who has said he plans to introduce a bill soon.

Although the roll-out of the Affordable Care Act has been bumpy, the law has the potential to help millions of previously uninsured Americans get mental health services, the NAMI report finds. Also as part of the Affordable Care Act, 25 states and the District of Columbia have opted to expand Medicaid, which pays for 27% of all mental health services.

And last month, the Department of Health and Human Services issued final rules on implementing a 2008 law guaranteeing that insurance plans provide equal coverage for mental and physical health.

Yet those in the mental health field say serious challenges remain. With millions more Americans eligible for mental health services, NAMI predicts the country could face "an acute shortage of mental health workers."

nic34
12-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Depends on how you ask the question but we already have those anyway. Have you tried buying a gun? They run a background check on you. Backdoor sales you won't prevent ever. Ask the 420 club how that works.

Have you been to a gun show?

Max Rockatansky
12-12-2013, 12:14 PM

What shot down the background checks last year was the Democrat insistence on tracking lawful gun owners. I'm sure we would see a consensus that nobody wants criminals or the mentally ill to have guns, cars or anything else that allows them to put others in danger.

The difference between the Democrat agenda and sensible background checks is treating all lawful gun owners as criminals and mentally ill by tracking them. I'm sure a lot of Democrats would flip-flop on that attitude if the legislation included tracking owners of computers, video cameras and dildos.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 12:16 PM

Uhhhhh? Is the Pope Catholic?

You do background checks at gun shows. At least every state I've lived in.

Codename Section
What shot down the background checks last year was the Democrat insistence on tracking lawful gun owners. I'm sure we would see a consensus that nobody wants criminals or the mentally ill to have guns, cars or anything else that allows them to put others in danger.

The difference between the Democrat agenda and sensible background checks is treating all lawful gun owners as criminals and mentally ill by tracking them. I'm sure a lot of Democrats would flip-flop on that attitude if the legislation included tracking owners of computers, video cameras and dildos.

Fuck yeh, this ^

Max Rockatansky

I have. What about it?

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 12:18 PM
I have. What about it?

I bought a nice Polish AK at one last year. Oddly enough they had to run a background check on me.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 12:18 PM
Er, um, and I sold it but I can't find the receipt.

nic34
12-12-2013, 12:29 PM

You might want to read up:

■ Makes a national gun registry even less likely than before: Senators like Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) and Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) are still warning that the bill is a step toward a national gun registry—even though it would punish people who try to create one with up to 15 years in prison. American Civil Liberties Union privacy lobbyist Chris Calabrese, who had concerns with Schumer's bill, told the Washington Post that the Manchin-Toomey bill would strengthen the current law that has banned a registry since 1986.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2013/04/background-check-compromise-senate-nra

nic34
12-12-2013, 12:33 PM
Uhhhhh? Is the Pope Catholic?

You do background checks at gun shows. At least every state I've lived in.

Not here. Not in most states.

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/gun-show-firearms-bankground-checks-state-laws-map.html

Max Rockatansky
12-12-2013, 12:43 PM
I bought a nice Polish AK at one last year. Oddly enough they had to run a background check on me.

I bought a Mosin-Nagant from Cabela's a couple of months ago. Same thing.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 12:45 PM

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/safety-justice/gun-show-firearms-bankground-checks-state-laws-map.html

Not required doesn't mean they don't do it. I went to one in VA in the "not required" and the shop there that sold it to me did a background check.

You have to understand its not all private sellers there. It's mostly not. It's shops who want to get new customers. Those shops do background checks. The bumper sales won't be stopped no matter what you do. You can't stop drug sales or gun sales.

Unless you want to kick in people's doors and dig them out--and I assure you that cops, if they start this, will find out the hard way with everyone else what happens when you pull a sleeping tiger's tail.

I'm a peaceful person now. I don't want to hurt anyone but the government is not going to assert fascist statism over my private property nor that of any vet without resistance.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 12:46 PM
I bought a Mosin-Nagant from Cabela's a couple of months ago. Same thing.

Nice. If you're ever in VA hit up Green Top.

http://www.greentophuntfish.com/

Max Rockatansky
12-12-2013, 12:47 PM

Do you need a license to sell a bicycle to me? Would you need a license to set up a shop and sell bicycles? Isn't that a bicycle loophole?

A very important point to mention here is that owning a bicycle isn't a right, but owning a gun is covered by the Second Amendment.

Cthulhu
12-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Why the zeal over licensing weaponry in the first place? It seem like nothing more than a control mechanism that generates revenue. A tax on the 2nd amendment right.

Gov is supposed to guarantee and protect my rights, not tax me for them.

Cthulhu
12-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Not required doesn't mean they don't do it. I went to one in VA in the "not required" and the shop there that sold it to me did a background check.

You have to understand its not all private sellers there. It's mostly not. It's shops who want to get new customers. Those shops do background checks. The bumper sales won't be stopped no matter what you do. You can't stop drug sales or gun sales.

Unless you want to kick in people's doors and dig them out--and I assure you that cops, if they start this, will find out the hard way with everyone else what happens when you pull a sleeping tiger's tail.

Exactly. The store doesn't want the bad PR of being that store who sells to crazies. That will axe them in more ways than one.

Whether they do it for PR reasons, or just plain altruism doesn't matter. Most people take the sale of weaponry serious. When my dad bought his stuff private sale style, the guy asked me and dad a lot of questions, some of them personal, a crude and wholly ineffective background check as it were. But the intent is that he doesn't want his weapons to be involved in some crime.

I'm a peaceful person now. I don't want to hurt anyone but the government is not going to assert fascist statism over my private property nor that of any vet without resistance.

Depends on the vet and their situation. But many will indeed give lots of flak over it. Family men may fold, turn into dragons, or perhaps more sinister - they will give the appearance of folding while they are really planning.

But one this is certain, more and more people are getting pissed off.

Chris
12-12-2013, 01:05 PM
I purchased my Remington 870 at a gunshow in San Antonio without background check. But it was from a private seller who required identification and said he had to report it.

No vendor at a gunshow here can sell without a background check. So the not required in nic's map is something of an overgeneralization.

nic34
12-12-2013, 01:14 PM
The problem is that if checks are not universal, they are worthless.

That leads to: Let's just let anyone buy a firearm.

Chris
12-12-2013, 01:19 PM

If only law-abiding citizens submit to them then what value are they? Anyone can buy a gun on the street. Heck, you can print one.

zelmo1234
12-12-2013, 01:20 PM

Yep in most states they require background checks as well!

it is person to person sales of long guns and the few states that don't have checks for gun shows.

And the Democrats could have had those loop holes closed but when the changed the wording from serious mental illness to psychological condition, they lost the vote.

So I think that you can have that any time the democrats want to sign on to a clean bill

zelmo1234
12-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Er, um, and I sold it but I can't find the receipt.

I sold all my long guns too some guy offered me a lot of money, I forgot his name.

zelmo1234
12-12-2013, 01:24 PM

Welll I don't know about your map, because MI requires background checks on all sales at gun shows.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 01:45 PM

Exactly. Just like drug laws. Don't tell me you don't or haven't been part of the 420 club.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Then again, they're worthless anyway. Just because you've committed a crime doesn't mean you will again, or just because you haven't doesn't mean you won't.

Mental health checks violate medical privacy rights and will prevent people from seeking help...and they're expensive.

Maybe we work on the problem instead of trying to fix the symptoms with a hammer.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 01:47 PM
I sold all my long guns too some guy offered me a lot of money, I forgot his name.

Dude, I did that, too!

Adelaide
12-12-2013, 03:26 PM
When you compare the US to other countries (OECD or "developed" countries), there is a disproportionate amount of school shootings/gun violence, but I'm not convinced that it's due to lack of gun control measures and legislation. It seems to be more of a cultural/societal problem that is convoluted and perhaps hard to address. I don't think anyone/everyone can or will ever agree on what exactly the problem is.

Personally? I wouldn't feel safer with a firearm.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 05:02 PM
When you compare the US to other countries (OECD or "developed" countries), there is a disproportionate amount of school shootings/gun violence, but I'm not convinced that it's due to lack of gun control measures and legislation. It seems to be more of a cultural/societal problem that is convoluted and perhaps hard to address. I don't think anyone/everyone can or will ever agree on what exactly the problem is.

If you don't get trained or become comfortable you wouldn't be safer with it. I don't think people should have them without training.

yep, said it.

Chris
12-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Training fits well with well-regulated.

Cthulhu
12-12-2013, 05:11 PM
If you don't get trained or become comfortable you wouldn't be safer with it. I don't think people should have them without training.

yep, said it.

http://i1.wp.com/listverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Shame-e1372986806388.jpg?resize=632%2C421

If I were an emotional and jilted girl, this would be me.

But since its not, this will have to do-

http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/Too+bad+that+s+not+what+he+said+at+all.+He+_525aaa 804210eb7745ec956e0cb8f01f.jpg

zelmo1234
12-12-2013, 05:16 PM

I think that most of the people that think rationally feel the same way.

But there are a lot of people that are in fact very afraid of guns and believe that they are dangerous all by themselves.

I will tell everyone that enjoys their second amendment rights, find a person that is afraid of guns and take them shooting, teach them about guns and what they can and can't do, use very small calibers and very good hearing protection, and you might just find a new shooting party!

zelmo1234
12-12-2013, 05:24 PM

yep, said it.

And I personally think they all should be required to take my training programs? :) But that just might be the greed coming out!

The night before last we had a tuff guy, and after I disarmed him about 15 times before he could shoot me with an air soft, I think that the message got through.

Also I don't think that people really understand what happens to your body when you are faced with a life and death situation. So not only do those that wish to participate in the concealed carry lifestyle need the training, but they need enough repetitive practice to build the muscle memory so that it is automatic. You need to know how to keep the bad guy from taking your gun away from you, and you need to be able to take a weapon away from others.

That should be the minimum for those that want to carry.

If you just want to protect your home, then that requires some training and preparation as well

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 05:29 PM
And I personally think they all should be required to take my training programs? :) But that just might be the greed coming out!

Haha, maybe I had an ulterior motive, too? :evil:

I have training programs, as well.

The night before last we had a tuff guy, and after I disarmed him about 15 times before he could shoot me with an air soft, I think that the message got through.

Also I don't think that people really understand what happens to your body when you are faced with a life and death situation. So not only do those that wish to participate in the concealed carry lifestyle need the training, but they need enough repetitive practice to build the muscle memory so that it is automatic. You need to know how to keep the bad guy from taking your gun away from you, and you need to be able to take a weapon away from others.

That should be the minimum for those that want to carry.

If you just want to protect your home, then that requires some training and preparation as well

^^this. I harp on the muscle memory thing all the time. There's a reason why I'm the way I am and its nonstop drills.

zelmo1234
12-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Haha, maybe I had an ulterior motive, too? :evil:

I have training programs, as well.

^^this. I harp on the muscle memory thing all the time. There's a reason why I'm the way I am and its nonstop drills.

Some day maybe we will get a chance to play together, and you can teach this old dog some new tricks!

It is funny because the tuff guys always comment that I have my pepper spray on my key chain and my handy little fixed blade box opener ( it is illegal to carry a knife for protection in MI) and then of course I have my gun and extra mag! What they don't understand is they need 1.8 to 3 seconds to get into the fight! depending on the way the gun is concealed!

People need to understand that the last thing in the world that you want to do it touch that gun in a fight, but if you have to take the last resort, you need to win, there are no second place finishers n a fire fight!

Bye the Bye I get my knee fixed Jan 3

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Some day maybe we will get a chance to play together, and you can teach this old dog some new tricks!

It is funny because the tuff guys always comment that I have my pepper spray on my key chain and my handy little fixed blade box opener ( it is illegal to carry a knife for protection in MI) and then of course I have my gun and extra mag! What they don't understand is they need 1.8 to 3 seconds to get into the fight! depending on the way the gun is concealed!

People need to understand that the last thing in the world that you want to do it touch that gun in a fight, but if you have to take the last resort, you need to win, there are no second place finishers n a fire fight!

Bye the Bye I get my knee fixed Jan 3

Coyote is open season all year.

zelmo1234
12-12-2013, 05:56 PM

It is a riot too, I call them in! If I heal up well enough I am going to try and take one with a bow this year! If I get home in time tomorrow I am hitting the wood with my muzzle loader!

Mr Happy
12-12-2013, 05:58 PM
Americans Think Better Mental Health Services, Better Parenting and Armed Guards are More Likely Than Gun Control to Stop a School Shooting (http://reason.com/blog/2013/12/12/americans-think-better-mental-health-2)

No guns would stop the shootings too...

Cthulhu
12-12-2013, 06:02 PM

But you'll never get rid of them all.

Prohibition on drugs has a similar problem.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 06:04 PM

How would you accomplish "no guns"?

And no. You're wrong.

3-d printers can make one. The plans are on the Dark Web, and 3 D printers are easy to make.

I can make a gun out of shit you find at Walmart.

Mr Happy
12-12-2013, 06:05 PM
How would you accomplish "no guns"?

And no. You're wrong.

3-d printers can make one. The plans are on the Dark Web, and 3 D printers are easy to make.

I can make a gun out of shit you find at Walmart.

You wouldn't. It's too late for the USA. Just adding it into the mix.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 06:07 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/11/25/article-0-19A342D600000578-979_634x371.jpg

Mr Happy
12-12-2013, 06:10 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/11/25/article-0-19A342D600000578-979_634x371.jpg

Does it work?

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Does it work?

Hell yeh. Fun, too. I can make one out of a 2 ltr. I can also fabricate one out of the good stuff because I learned smithing.

Mr Happy
12-12-2013, 06:13 PM
Hell yeh. Fun, too. I can make one out of a 2 ltr. I can also fabricate one out of the good stuff because I learned smithing.

And would the projectile kill you? Or is it like a spud gun??

You are no longer Code Section. You shall now be known as MacGyver...;oP

Max Rockatansky
12-12-2013, 06:14 PM

So is feral hog season in Texas.

http://imageshack.com/a/img543/9712/60278449620875708213774.jpg

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 06:16 PM
And would the projectile kill you? Or is it like a spud gun??

You are no longer Code Section. You shall now be known as MacGyver...;oP

With everything it depends upon the range and the projectile, but yes.

I am also building a house out of recycled materials. :D

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Ethereal ^^^^ When we going feral hog hunting or do we shoot Mr. Freeze's and pretend they went wild?

zelmo1234
12-12-2013, 06:37 PM

I love PIG! And I love TX maybe we will have to meet up, and I will show you a few trick for cook the most awesome pork!

Max Rockatansky
12-12-2013, 06:43 PM
I love PIG! And I love TX maybe we will have to meet up, and I will show you a few trick for cook the most awesome pork!

Great plan!

As it is, the pigs under 24" at the shoulder are pretty tasty as they are, especially sows. Boars run alone, but sows run with the piglets. That's a sow hanging in the background and a piglet I picked off after shooting the sow and the whole herd began running for the treeline.

zelmo1234
12-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Great plan!

As it is, the pigs under 24" at the shoulder are pretty tasty as they are, especially sows. Boars run alone, but sows run with the piglets. That's a sow hanging in the background and a piglet I picked off after shooting the sow and the whole herd began running for the treeline.

It is amazing how much damage then can do to habitat! I am working with a Chef right now to open a Restaurant. We have been competing in KC at the BBQ cook-offs! never finished out of the top 10! So yes they are tasty critters unless they get to large, some of those big boars? they make great sausage but just a little tuff for my blood!

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 06:53 PM
It is amazing how much damage then can do to habitat! I am working with a Chef right now to open a Restaurant. We have been competing in KC at the BBQ cook-offs! never finished out of the top 10! So yes they are tasty critters unless they get to large, some of those big boars? they make great sausage but just a little tuff for my blood!
Mr. Freeze raises high end pigs with fancy names and feet. They are AmAZinG to eat.

Adelaide
12-12-2013, 07:06 PM

yep, said it.

Even with proper training I wouldn't feel safer.

Plus, you can't carry around weapons up here unless you are law enforcement. You have to apply for permits just to transport a firearm and legislation says you have to take the shortest route possible from point A to B (usually hunting grounds or shooting ranges). Also strict rules about storage at home, so not useful for home invasions. All that said, I don't feel unsafe enough to think I'd need a firearm anyways.

zelmo1234
12-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Even with proper training I wouldn't feel safer.

Plus, you can't carry around weapons up here unless you are law enforcement. You have to apply for permits just to transport a firearm and legislation says you have to take the shortest route possible from point A to B (usually hunting grounds or shooting ranges). Also strict rules about storage at home, so not useful for home invasions. All that said, I don't feel unsafe enough to think I'd need a firearm anyways.

I guess that I never thought of that because they are very understanding about security contractors so I have been able to carry in 'Canada" and of course that makes my transportation of firearms easier when I am up there hunting.

Good point! But the way you have some amazingly beautiful areas in your country.

Adelaide
12-12-2013, 07:55 PM
I guess that I never thought of that because they are very understanding about security contractors so I have been able to carry in 'Canada" and of course that makes my transportation of firearms easier when I am up there hunting.

Good point! But the way you have some amazingly beautiful areas in your country.

Yeah - best backyard in the world.

But it's actually an interesting issue to line up side-to-side - Canadians have so many laws in place that it isn't practical to use a firearm for self-defense and we don't really care or feel less safe. Americans don't have the same laws but people seem to feel unsafe enough to need a firearm for self-defense.

zelmo1234
12-12-2013, 08:35 PM

But it's actually an interesting issue to line up side-to-side - Canadians have so many laws in place that it isn't practical to use a firearm for self-defense and we don't really care or feel less safe. Americans don't have the same laws but people seem to feel unsafe enough to need a firearm for self-defense.

Yes and NO! There are those that get a concealed carry permit because they live in fear. I believe that Zimmerman was this type of person, and they would not be my first choice for the lifestyle that they have chosen, because they rarely get the training that is required to make competent discussions

I of course made a living providing security for people that either were traveling in dangerous areas or due to their notoriety had reasonable cause to have security. Because of this I have made some enemies of my own, and while I would be hard pressed to use a firearm to defend myself, I would not let any family and friends be harmed by anyone! We also have watched the moral fiber of our country erode and the police in this country have little in the form of what they can do to actually protect you, though if they arrive on the seen and the bad guy does kill you, they may kill him back!

So the people have taken this into our own hands, and this has had an effect on the thugs, that now have a little more to think about before choosing there victims.

Codename Section
12-12-2013, 08:39 PM

You also have more open space, far fewer people, etc.

Max Rockatansky
12-12-2013, 08:41 PM
You also have more open space, far fewer people, etc.

....and climate so cold, nobody wants to go outside to commit a crime.

zelmo1234
12-12-2013, 08:45 PM
....and climate so cold, nobody wants to go outside to commit a crime.

There is no bad weather, only bad clothing! :)

Max Rockatansky
12-12-2013, 09:15 PM
There is no bad weather, only bad clothing! :)

And they don't have summer, only 6 weeks of bad sledding! http://www.girlzclan.com/newforum/images/smilies/christmas/snow.gif

Ethereal
12-12-2013, 11:09 PM
@Ethereal (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=870) ^^^^ When we going feral hog hunting or do we shoot @Mr. Freeze (http://thepoliticalforums.com/member.php?u=892)'s and pretend they went wild?

We'll get out there sometime early next year.

Dr. Who
12-12-2013, 11:31 PM
It is a riot too, I call them in! If I heal up well enough I am going to try and take one with a bow this year! If I get home in time tomorrow I am hitting the wood with my muzzle loader!

Seriously guys, I really don't understand getting any enjoyment from killing.

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 12:46 AM

And I can't see how people can stand eating the crap that is on the shelves in a super market?

peasent food! yuck!

Dr. Who
12-13-2013, 06:53 PM
And I can't see how people can stand eating the crap that is on the shelves in a super market?

peasent food! yuck!

I don't have an issue with hunting per se, I just don't see how it can be enjoyable. Fine you want/need to feed yourself, but enjoying the kill?

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 07:03 PM

Have you tasted boar?

Dr. Who
12-13-2013, 07:12 PM
Have you tasted boar? No. It's probably really tasty.

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 07:13 PM
I don't have an issue with hunting per se, I just don't see how it can be enjoyable. Fine you want/need to feed yourself, but enjoying the kill?

The kill is the anti climax not the enjoyment!

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 07:15 PM
No. It's probably really tasty.

I like being in the woods. I like knowing the animal didn't spend its whole life in a 3 ft square filthy pen. I like making it a clean kill. I like the taste of boar.

Dr. Who
12-13-2013, 07:30 PM
I like being in the woods. I like knowing the animal didn't spend its whole life in a 3 ft square filthy pen. I like making it a clean kill. I like the taste of boar.
I like the native tradition of thanking the animal for giving it's life. I can see enjoying the food, just not the kill.

countryboy
12-13-2013, 07:36 PM
There are no background checks for long guns, only handguns. The trouble for me is, I no longer trust government to do anything. How the fuck will they get background checks right? They cannot even build a simple fucking website. Let's see, what side of the aisle are most gubmint twerkers on? Hmmmmm.....

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 07:37 PM
I like the native tradition of thanking the animal for giving it's life. I can see enjoying the food, just not the kill.

I actually do that. I have since I was a kid and saw Dances With Wolves.

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 07:38 PM
There are no background checks for long guns, only handguns. The trouble for me is, I no longer trust government to do anything. How the fuck will they get background checks right? They cannot even build a simple fucking website. Let's see, what side of the aisle are most gubmint twerkers on? Hmmmmm.....

Ehhhhh, not so true. If you get a Mossberg with a "pistol stock", you get a background check.

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 07:58 PM

There are background checks for long guns too? Not sure if that is in every state though?

Chloe
12-13-2013, 08:25 PM
I think that eating something that grew from a little tiny seed that you planted in dirt, tended to for weeks or months, watered, watched slowly grow, and then carefully took out of the Earth just at the right time is far more rewarding for the body and the mind and also more enjoyable than killing and butchering an animal, but that's just me and I get it that i'm in the minority when it comes to that.

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 08:27 PM
I think that eating something that grew from a little tiny seed that you planted in dirt, tended to for weeks or months, watered, watched slowly grow, and then carefully took out of the Earth just at the right time is far more rewarding for the body and the mind and also more enjoyable than killing and butchering an animal, but that's just me and I get it that i'm in the minority when it comes to that.

WHAT! did that poor little plant ever do to you! :)

But we love vegetarians, after all almost everything that we eat is a vegetarian, if you think about it!!

Max Rockatansky
12-13-2013, 08:28 PM

Not a lot of protein in a tuber. Besides, that rabbit, squirrel or hog tastes great with vegetables.

Are you a pure vegetarian, Chloe?

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 09:08 PM

That's true, too. I like growing shit.

Cthulhu
12-13-2013, 09:16 PM
That's true, too. I like growing shit.

If you ever live in the south again. Grow the Atlantic Giants. They get to be hundreds of pounds. Some get so big they grow them on a pallet and use a forklift to cart them around. Of course that assumes you know how to grow a pumpkin well too and use the right fertilizers etc...

I'm still refining my sugar pie pumpkin growing art. I want to grow a monster though. One that my kids can make into a small boat on a lake.

Chloe
12-13-2013, 09:25 PM
Not a lot of protein in a tuber. Besides, that rabbit, squirrel or hog tastes great with vegetables.

Are you a pure vegetarian, Chloe?

I'm a vegetarian yes. I go back and forth from vegetarian to vegan but mostly just vegetarian.

Chloe
12-13-2013, 09:25 PM
WHAT! did that poor little plant ever do to you! :)

But we love vegetarians, after all almost everything that we eat is a vegetarian, if you think about it!!

Just don't eat me

zelmo1234
12-13-2013, 09:38 PM
Just don't eat me

Never! there are things of beauty that are to be admired, and not eaten!

Codename Section
12-13-2013, 11:47 PM
If you ever live in the south again. Grow the Atlantic Giants. They get to be hundreds of pounds. Some get so big they grow them on a pallet and use a forklift to cart them around. Of course that assumes you know how to grow a pumpkin well too and use the right fertilizers etc...

I'm still refining my sugar pie pumpkin growing art. I want to grow a monster though. One that my kids can make into a small boat on a lake.

You plant early, snip all the baby pumpkins but one.

Cthulhu
12-14-2013, 11:16 AM
You plant early, snip all the baby pumpkins but one.

For the bigger breeds yes, but not the smaller ones.

But starting them indoors is a big deal especially if you live in a northern climate such as myself. Also cutting tertiary vines and burying primary and secondary vines to encourage the growth of additional tap roots is part of the trick. Also killing off excess male flowers - and female flowers for larger breeds.