PDA

View Full Version : Jeremy Lin TV Graphic Raises Concerns

Mister D
02-16-2012, 09:55 AM
http://images.thepostgame.com/sites/default/files/JeremyLin[021612]_345x259_1.jpg

Mister D
02-16-2012, 09:56 AM
It must have seemed like a good idea at the time.
MSG Network is facing some serious heat after the New York Knicks TV broadcast partner flashed a tone-deaf graphic of the franchise's Asian-American star.
Following the Knicks' seventh straight win on Wednesday night, MSG showed viewers an image featuring guard Jeremy Lin's head in between ends of a broken fortune cookie with the sentence "The Knicks' Good Fortune" on a piece of paper.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish/201202/knicks-jeremy-lin-tv-graphic-controversy

Serious heat from who? Professional trouble makers? Who cares? It's obviously not meant as an insult to anyone. This country gets sillier every year.

Conley
02-16-2012, 09:59 AM
I agree with the concern. There is a lot wrong with that photo - the perspective is off, it doesn't even look like him, and his tongue looks kind of blueish purple. Oh, and yes I can see how some would be offended. Really though I don't think any harm was meant. Lin is the best thing to happen to that network in a long time.

Mister D
02-16-2012, 10:03 AM
Of course not. That much is obvious. I'm not sdaying it's a work of art it's just not offensive. Unless being offended is what you do for a living.

MMC
02-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Don't worry after Chicago and Rose whoops that NY azz.....then they can complain about How Lin was reduced to White-fried-rice! :wink:

Conley
02-16-2012, 10:27 AM
Haha, I am offended by basketball smack talk.

Mister D
02-16-2012, 10:35 AM
I used to play a lot as a teenager. Great exercise. I don;t think I've played any sports since college.

Mister D
02-16-2012, 10:36 AM
And I mean with friends. I didn;t play on a college level team. :laugh: Except for that whole starting QB thing but that's neither here nor there...

jgreer
02-16-2012, 10:40 AM
U were a qb in college?

Mister D
02-16-2012, 10:41 AM
U were a qb in college?

Only because I was doing a favor for my coach. :wink:

MMC
02-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Haha, I am offended by basketball smack talk.

I know how to double dribble. :wink:

Which is why my wife always carries an extra hanky on her. :tongue:

Conley
02-16-2012, 11:19 AM
:laugh: MMC you've got a good woman.

I didn't know D was a basketball player. I have tried to get him into the Linsanity like he was into Cutler but it just didn't happen. :sad:

MMC
02-16-2012, 11:35 AM
:laugh: MMC you've got a good woman.

I didn't know D was a basketball player. I have tried to get him into the Linsanity like he was into Cutler but it just didn't happen. :sad:

Pssst.....after he found out about all the Women Wilt the Stilt had been with, he just was never the same. :tongue:

Conley
02-16-2012, 12:06 PM
Only because I was doing a favor for my coach. :wink:

:laugh:

Too funny.

Anyhow, it looks like they are trying to find a way to work Lin into the All Star Game. I guess the rules don't apply to him? What's up with that?

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7581045/sources-new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin-all-star-weekend-role

Mister D
02-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Probably racism.

Conley
02-16-2012, 12:10 PM
True, his race is part of his appeal. That's just a fact.

Mister D
02-16-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm just mocking this stuff. A Chinese NBA player. It's still kind of a novelty.

Conley
02-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Lin, a second-year point guard, has started six games and led the Knicks to seven straight wins. His strong performance the past two weeks has drawn international attention, including that of President Barack Obama, and led to debate about whether he would be invited to participate in All-Star Weekend, which begins Feb. 23 and culminates with the All-Star Game Feb. 26.

A league source Thursday confirmed a New York Daily News report that the NBA will make Lin part of the field for the Haier Shooting Stars competition during All-Star Saturday night. That would enable Lin to join Shumpert's dunk routine as well.

NBA commissioner David Stern told USA Today earlier this week that Lin would not be a special late addition to the BBVA Rising Stars game that features rookies and second-year players, but the NBA was pressured to add him after he scored 136 points in his first five starts, most by an NBA player since the merger with the ABA in 1976-77.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7581045/nba-adds-new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin-miami-heat-norris-cole-rookie-sophomore-game

Guess they didn't really break the rules after all. He's going to be part of the dunk contest too. The NBA needs all the good pub they can get.

Mister D
02-18-2012, 03:25 PM
OK this headline is going too far and you all know I usually dismiss this sort of thing:

"Chink in the armor"

:laugh:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/whether-intentional-not-espn-since-deleted-headline-jeremy-192208429.html

Conley
02-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Wow, on first glance that is offensive. Not sure how that could be unintentional. ESPN is almost incompetent enough to do something like that by accident but I don't buy it. Someone was snoozing in the editor's room too (or they approved the message?).

Mister D
02-18-2012, 03:47 PM
It was out there for at least a little while so you're right to suggest that the problem runs deeper than that of a clumsy or malicious writer. I bet ESPN will look to certain internal reforms this year.

Conley
02-18-2012, 03:52 PM
ESPN is kind of a bizarre outfit. They have a lot of problems, I think maybe because of the jock mentality. They had to fire a major football analyst because - I kid you not - he was emailing photos of his junk to women who work there. Freaking loons.

Mister D
02-18-2012, 03:54 PM
ESPN is kind of a bizarre outfit. They have a lot of problems, I think maybe because of the jock mentality. They had to fire a major football analyst because - I kid you not - he was emailing photos of his junk to women who work there. Freaking loons.

He should run for Congress!

Yeah, that makes sense. Some of these guys have been insulated from trouble for many years and they get used to it.

Conley
02-18-2012, 03:55 PM
He should run for Congress!

Yeah, that makes sense. Some of these guys have been insulated from trouble for many years and they get used to it.

:laugh: There is another jerk from ESPN running for Senate actually.

Mister D
02-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Where at?

Conley
02-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Where at?

Texas, where football players RULE! :laugh:

Mister D
02-18-2012, 04:05 PM
That makes too much sense. :grin: